Adobe CS5

124»

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    My real concern was whether CS5 was going to be too much for my 2 and 1/2 year old 3 GB machine to handle. ACR previews now have a noticeable lag when I adjust the controls, whereas with 4.6, there was no latency. Not surprising since the processing pipeline is longer. PS installed with OpenGL hardware support disabled, but since my graphics card meets Adobe's minimum requirements I enabled it. Big mistake. Apart from significant tiling when repainting the previews, there is a bug which causes PS to go south when the machine returns from sleep. It also can cause Windows (XP) to freeze entirely and require a forced power-down restart. Not good. My impression is that with the exception of smooth preview resizing, no significant functionality is lost if you are sticking with the PS standard edition and not using 3D or other extended edition goodies. If you're running an older machine, I would encourage you to take advantage of the 30 day trial before buying the upgrade. I don't doubt that it runs much better on newer, beefier hardware.
    When I installed, it either installed with OpenGL enabled or I did it. Either way, it was a mistake for me as well. Having it enabled on Win7 x64 with gobs of memory and processor still slowed EVRYTHING down to a crawl. Then I remembered Richard's post and unchecked that little sweetheart and all is right again.

All this by way of saying, THANKS!! for your post!