*ENTRY* Thread DSS #48 (Lo-Fi digital [SOOC])

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 6, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    ..... I personally find not being able to crop a very large inhibitor of creativity, especially when I am so partial to 2:1 ratios mwink.gif

I hope to prove you wrong with my entry...Laughing.gif.:D
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    JAG wrote:
    I hope to prove you wrong with my entry...Laughing.gif.:D

see below (under my name) mwink.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 7, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    see below (under my name) mwink.gif

aahhh...I see. Then I must prove to be really really right.rolleyes1.gif
  • Angela DavisAngela Davis Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Sean,

Just wanted to say thanks on my end for this challenge. My camera has been a paper weight for a couple weeks now and it's always such a bummer when your camera kicks the bucket. I got such a big smile when reading your words about this challenge when you stated that a point & shoot camera might work well for this theme. As that is all I have to work with right now, this is right up my alley thumb.gif
    Should have a new Nikon in my hands in a couple of weeks but let me add do you know how many pennies it takes to roll up to buy a New Nikon, LoL :help
    edited April 7, 2010
    do you know how many pennies it takes to roll up to buy a New Nikon, LoL :help

Anywhere from 3-5 thousand rolls of them. What a great way to use pennies :davidto

Not happy to hear about your paper weight but I am very pleased to give your p&s some decent play time mwink.gif
    edited April 7, 2010
    JAG wrote:
    aahhh...I see. Then I must prove to be really really right.rolleyes1.gif
    Please do! thumb.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Figured I'd add a meta-link to lots of links to "Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day" coming soon. Inspiration for the challenge. :D
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Figured I'd add a meta-link to lots of links to "Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day" coming soon. Inspiration for the challenge. :D

Yeah, maybe we should just call this the 'pinhole challenge' since there seems to be a lot of postings about it already - and i'm going to add to them!!! I've been needing an excuse to give it a try for a while now, so this is just perfect.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Good morning Sean,
    Is it OK to comment on the entries in the gallery this early in the game. Or is this something that should be done at the end of the competition.
    Also, when I've submitted to the DSS galleries, I've usually added a link to my Smug Submissions gallery. I put a dupe of the image there with an explanation of the how and why of my thought process. Is this inappropriate?

P
    edited April 8, 2010
    Froch wrote:
    Good morning Sean,
    Is it OK to comment on the entries in the gallery this early in the game. Or is this something that should be done at the end of the competition.
    Also, when I've submitted to the DSS galleries, I've usually added a link to my Smug Submissions gallery. I put a dupe of the image there with an explanation of the how and why of my thought process. Is this inappropriate?

P

Commenting during the round seems to be a practice that a lot of people enjoy doing. I do not see any issues with doing it. One of the foundations of why someone enters a challenge is to gain feedback. Normally the only feedback given in most competitions is you win or you lose. The more feedback that is given by the community, the more everyone gains.

Regarding a link in your entry - The last round (#47) you entered a composite which made it appropriate to have a link pointing to your EXIF information for each photo. In the case of entries that are just one image I would prefer to not see any extraneous info or links other than Dgrin user name - Title. In this round I did say you were welcome to explain what was used to create the Lo-Fi look but that is an exception to this round.

You are more than welcome to post your image in the forum along with an explanation of how and why you did something. If you do it this way you are very likely to gain more feedback.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Clearly cropping after SOOC with any type of program is NOT SOOC.

ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 8, 2010
    Clearly cropping after SOOC with any type of program is NOT SOOC.

ne_nau.gif

So then call it SOOCC???? ne_nau.gif

I already explained that I personally find not being able to crop restricts creativity so I wanted others to have the ability to crop if they wished. Also it is obvious that some members didn't even know that cropping in SmugMug was possible so hopefully some learned new cool tools mwink.gif
  • writeoutdoorswriteoutdoors Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2010
    Good intro. for newgrinner
    Glad I finally signed up... This sounds like a great challenge.
    edited April 9, 2010
    Welcome
    Glad I finally signed up... This sounds like a great challenge.
    Glad you signed up too!
  • JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    help!! re challenge 48
    sherstone wrote:
    Glad you signed up too!
    i tried to follow proceedures and need to know if it was correct. I tried to upload photo from smugmug to the challenge and it didn't work so I uploaded the photo directly from iphoto. Was this wrong?headscratch.gif JustPeachy2 PS, the entries for the challenge are so inventive and awsome.
    edited April 16, 2010
    ...so I uploaded the photo directly from iphoto. Was this wrong?headscratch.gif.

Looks like you did fine. The photo is there and the dates are good. Thank you so much for participating!:D
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Shot. Sent. Delivered. :cool
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Worldwide Pinhole Day
    I stumbled on this site in my digital pinhole wanderings. Great gallery of pinholes, and you can upload your pinhole shots for worldwide pinhole day which is coming up soon!
    Check it out:

http://www.pinholeday.org/

Mark;)
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Paintguy wrote:
    Is there a way to enter this contest without the purchase of a Smugmug account?

You don't need a smugmug account to submit your entry. Go to the first post of this thread, click the link to the submission gallery, and there are instructions on how to login to the challenges smugmug account. After you login upload your image to the gallery.
    Jer
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    You don't need a smugmug account to submit your entry. Go to the first post of this thread, click the link to the submission gallery, and there are instructions on how to login to the challenges smugmug account. After you login upload your image to the gallery.

You do need to have a Dgrin user name. It's free. :D I like free.
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Some amazing creativity being brought out by this challenge, I'm very happy you did this one Sean. thumb.gif
  • PaintguyPaintguy Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Thanks Jeremy & Whatshesaw. I figured it out a minute after my post. Read over the instructions to quickly.

Still have not figured out why my pics do not have the same dates on the EXIF without any editing. Straight off the card or saved through iPhoto has a different modified date. Only because of this contest have I paid any attention to that info.
    edited April 19, 2010
    Paintguy wrote:
    Thanks Jeremy & Whatshesaw. I figured it out a minute after my post. Read over the instructions to quickly.

Still have not figured out why my pics do not have the same dates on the EXIF without any editing. Straight off the card or saved through iPhoto has a different modified date. Only because of this contest have I paid any attention to that info.

Something that downloads the pictures to your computer must be updating the date. Usually the only way to avoid this is to upload directly from your camera connected to the computer or to manually drag the photo off of your card. Unfortunately because of the specific rules that have been put in place this round, if the modified date is different it will be disqualified. :cry
  • CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Paintguy wrote:

Try not renaming the file. It is a nice pic and I would hate seeing it disqualified.
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    edited April 19, 2010
    End
    Th th th that's all folks! Round #48 has finished. After clean up your gracious judges will choose their top 10 each and the result will be posted ASAP.

Thank you everyone for participating!
    edited April 19, 2010
    DQ's
    Only two DQ's this round

Paintguy - Inheritance
    Date Taken and Date Modified are different. You must have modified the file in some way either by renaming it or using software that changes the EXIF when transferring to your computer. The Dgrin community is here to help but I suspect we just ran out of time when trying find out the problem. Please enter again in the next challenge and if you have a question ask it as soon as possible so we can try our best to help out.

Eia - Seventh Angel
    Date Taken and Date Modified are different.

I hate doing it :cry
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    Only two DQ's this round

Paintguy - Inheritance
    Date Taken and Date Modified are different. You must have modified the file in some way either by renaming it or using software that changes the EXIF when transferring to your computer. The Dgrin community is here to help but I suspect we just ran out of time when trying find out the problem. Please enter again in the next challenge and if you have a question ask it as soon as possible so we can try our best to help out.

Eia - Seventh Angel
    Date Taken and Date Modified are different.

I hate doing it :cry

I just now noticed the date taken and date modified are different. I don't know why. The only thing I did was move it to a different folder after it was uploaded from camera to computer. From there I created a folder for my favorites where I moved this photo to. I didn't even check date taken/modified since it was not put through any program. Would placing a picture in two different folders cause that? Bummer...I spent gobs of time on that. ne_nau.gifcry
    edited April 19, 2010
    Eia wrote:
    Bummer...I spent gobs of time on that. ne_nau.gifcry

It is a bummer! The most important rule this round was to make sure that each of the dates and times matched or that there was no modified date at all. It is always a good idea to look at your entry after it is uploaded and view the EXIF information to make sure it complies with the Challenge time frame and rules.

Please do not feel discouraged, and try again in round #49. It is a little less restrictive this time around. deal.gif
    edited April 19, 2010
    Note:
    I just received a PM asking about the weird EXIF on

lizzard_nyc - "Eye Spy"

The Modified date is a bunch of zeros. I made a judgment call and allowed this entry since a 0000 date in my eyes is the same as no Modified date.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    It is a bummer! The most important rule this round was to make sure that each of the dates and times matched or that there was no modified date at all. It is always a good idea to look at your entry after it is uploaded and view the EXIF information to make sure it complies with the Challenge time frame and rules.

Please do not feel discouraged, and try again in round #49. It is a little less restrictive this time around. deal.gif
    Thanks for the 'vote' of confidence! :D This round was fun for me- becuase it allowed gobs of time with the camera and creativity and not gobs of time on the computer! It pushed me to see what the camera and photographer could do with just the two with no computer manipulation. The entries are fantastic and I'm sure it will be hard to judge this one!thumb.gif