Options

Uploads Failing

cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited April 28, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Moderator edit:

Update, Monday morning, April 26th, 4:52am CA time.

Situation is the same - we have a very few reports of some customers experiencing upload difficulties. See our status blog for a full explanation and symptoms. When we have an update we'll post it there: http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/

If you are experiencing upload failure, please write our Support Heroes with full details and we'll help you personally from the help desk.

We're sorry for the trouble and please know that our engineers and operations folks are trying hard to pinpoint the issue.

I get a Gateway timeout every time I go to replace a photo, ever since the Smugmug update last night. It always takes 2 tries to get the photo replaced. Can you please look into this?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    cfrey6 wrote:
    I get a Gateway timeout every time I go to replace a photo, ever since the Smugmug update last night. It always takes 2 tries to get the photo replaced. Can you please look into this?

An entire day goes by and no replies???
  • Options
    coolcat7coolcat7 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    my upload of videos does not work
    hello, I know there were issues on uploading videos and folks went round and round with no other suggestion that to "try again". I am still unsuccessful to this date. I *need* to do this. My videos are not large either - about 45 mb at the most. I used the drag/drop uploader and also the Mac uploader.

Advice?

If this cannot be fixed I will have to sign up with some other vendor. Not saying it to be demanding, just saying what my requirements are. Advice?

thank you!

Nancy
  • Options
    burntpixelburntpixel Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Uploads Failing
    My lightroom plugin fails, won't upload a thing.

I export my files and use smugmug uploader and it times out.

4 others are having the same problem, found here. Smugmug has said it's an ISP user issue.

Please fix this problem smugmug! If I can't upload photos, it's time for me to travel.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Looking at your upload log, I see lots of connection errors. Can you try working with the Simple Uploader (in-browser) and let us know if you have success?

20100424-c65sf772hp6xu5f4cugf7fg5wu.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Can you try working with the Simple Uploader (in-browser) and let us know if you have success?

I have had no success using the smugmug uploader, as already noted in my original post.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    burntpixel wrote:
    I have had no success using the smugmug uploader, as already noted in my original post.
    Wired connection or wireless?

Does it happen on other networks (friend, starbucks, work?)

Something is interrupting your communication between your computer and us. Any new security software installed?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Wired connection or wireless?

Does it happen on other networks (friend, starbucks, work?)

Something is interrupting your communication between your computer and us. Any new security software installed?

wired

desktop don't use other networks

no new security

Only thing I've done differently this week than last is that I updated Lightroom from 2.6 to 2.7.

If there are others having the same issue, I would think it's on your end?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    burntpixel wrote:
    If there are others having the same issue, I would think it's on your end?

As I said, I just 10 mins ago used LR plugin and uploaded no problem.

The error in your upload log is consistent with a network issue. Please write our Support Heroes and let us help you with some diagnostics. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    Just updated to LR 2.7, and uploaded again - no problems, the plugin is working as it should for me.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Just updated to LR 2.7, and uploaded again - no problems, the plugin is working as it should for me.

Yeah for you!

I'm still unable to upload, I'm the paying customer, I'm really not big on being belittled. This is the one thing about Smugmug that has been consistent since I've signed up. While Smugmug is very quick with a response, it's almost always never any fault of theirs.

If this is truly the way we/I receive help, thanks but not thanks. There is someone out there that would love have my $
  • Options
    sprspr Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    my upload of videos does not work #2
    Hi Coolcat7
    I'm having a similar issue.
    I created a couple of versions of my video in Proshow Producer,
    1- a DVD format - works only on the TV
    2- PC Executable format with extension: .exe
    3- Web show format with extensions: .html and .px
    I tried to drag and drop the three (separately of course) but the uploader does not recognize it..I guess I'm missing a step. I tried following the steps in smugmug video help but nowhere does it mention what what type of file extension the video should be.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks
    spr
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    burntpixel wrote:
    Yeah for you!

I'm still unable to upload, I'm the paying customer, I'm really not big on being belittled. This is the one thing about Smugmug that has been consistent since I've signed up. While Smugmug is very quick with a response, it's almost always never any fault of theirs.

If this is truly the way we/I receive help, thanks but not thanks. There is someone out there that would love have my $
    Hi, I'm so sorry - I in no way mean to belittle you or any customer - not for 8 years and 50,000+ posts on Dgrin and that many replies from our help desk. I'm really sorry you took my posts in that way. I'm trying to be helpful, and also state that the uploader is working. And, I asked you to write us so we can work with you individually on line diagnosis. Will you please do that? Thanks.

Thanks and sorry again.

Andy
  • Options
    coolcat7coolcat7 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    and on top of that, upload log records nothing
    Hi SPR,
    thanks for the reply ! I checked the previous post entered by BurntPixel - where his uploads were also failing. I read that there is an Upload log to check, so I did. (under control panel). My upload log contains nothing about any of my video uploads. nothing.

So does that mean there is an additional error to submit? "Upload log is not written to consistently ." The last uploads I did were in the beginning of April of JPG files. No.

anyone from Smug want to comment? Please advise !?
  • Options
    ImagesOfWildLifeImagesOfWildLife Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    I am having very slow uploads - down to 240KB/s. Did a network speed test - 3MB/s upload. Called my ISP and eveything looks good from their end - no noise and no last packets. Upload starts off at +1MB and very quickly drops down to 300-240KB/s. rebooted, and used a second PC. I have had very good upload speeds until last night and this morning. Suggestions?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    I am having very slow uploads - down to 240KB/s. Did a network speed test - 3MB/s upload. Called my ISP and eveything looks good from their end - no noise and no last packets. Upload starts off at +1MB and very quickly drops down to 300-240KB/s. rebooted, and used a second PC. I have had very good upload speeds until last night and this morning. Suggestions?
    I just went to your "About" page and used the properties from your email to find that your on Cox.net. When visiting their contact page it appears their location is in Georgia. What this all leads to is your going to be told "it's something in our area". If you look at this thread you will see most of us having problems are in the South East.

Well there is now actually 5 people reporting problems from the south east. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. I've already done every test they have asked and then some! I've been told yet again this morning that "these problems usually correct themeselves". Day 3 without being able to upload. Oh, I was and am able to upload to flickr with no problems. If you use the cmd tracert and compare smug to flickr it uses the same track going through Hotlanta.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    burntpixel wrote:
    I just went to your "About" page and used the properties from your email to find that your on Cox.net. When visiting their contact page it appears their location is in Georgia. What this all leads to is your going to be told "it's something in our area". If you look at this thread you will see most of us having problems are in the South East.

Well there is now actually 5 people reporting problems from the south east. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. I've already done every test they have asked and then some! I've been told yet again this morning that "these problems usually correct themeselves". Day 3 without being able to upload. Oh, I was and am able to upload to flickr with no problems. If you use the cmd tracert and compare smug to flickr it uses the same track going through Hotlanta.
    Hi Matt, like I emailed you this morning, after checking your upload log I saw another failed upload. There's something wrong, we still don't know where. I do have our Ops people trying to troubleshoot the network. We're doing our best to find out what's wrong out there. I'm very sorry for the uploading troubles for you, and the others affected.

If anyone has questions, it's best to write our Support Heroes, thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    Thanks the details - this helps us. I have engaged Ops and we're looking at the network, trying to find where the issue lies. The only common thing is that -most- of the folks with this issue are in the South / Southeast US. We're investigating all avenues.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    If anyone has questions, it's best to write our Support Heroes, thanks.
    ImagesOfWildLife posted a question, on an open forum, about uploading problems to smugmug. I simply provided him/her the response I've been given.

and you did say, again I quote "very strange thing is that they always right themselves with no action on our part".

If you/ your team does not have an answer, it would be best to say nothing at all. We/I do not want to hear the empty promises or reasoning's.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    burntpixel wrote:
    ImagesOfWildLife posted a question, on an open forum, about uploading problems to smugmug. I simply provided him/her the response I've been given.

and you did say, again I quote "very strange thing is that they always right themselves with no action on our part".

If you/ your team does not have an answer, it would be best to say nothing at all. We/I do not want to hear the empty promises or reasoning's.
    Hi Matt, I understand you are angry. And I apologize again.

I was replying to you - with words to everyone - if they have an upload issue, I'd like to hear about it on the help desk as well so we can best address this.

I'm sorry you feel that my posts are empty. I've awakened engineers, and I've got people working on finding out why there are some folks that can't upload. Not sure what else I can tell you at this point.

I'll continue to post updates on the forum here so that folks who come by can see what's going on.

I'm very sorry you can't upload. We're working on trying to resolve the issue for you and the few other folks that are reporting the problem.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010

I used www.speedtest.net again from Vienna Va to Herndon Va and from Vienna Va to Macclenny Fla - both had good times. +3MB/sec upload.

Loaded several photos and three failed - all very slow around 240KB/sec. three had errors:
    Error writing request body to server
    errors from same file upload:
    too many bytes written
    too many bytes written

i.e. 2 files - 3 errors

All files well under the 24MB/48Mbyte limits of pro upload.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    I used www.speedtest.net again from Vienna Va to Herndon Va and from Vienna Va to Macclenny Fla - both had good times. +3MB/sec upload.

Loaded several photos and three failed - all very slow around 240KB/sec. three had errors:
    too many bytes written
    too many bytes written

i.e. 2 files - 3 errors

Yeah - this isn't a speed issue. It's a quality-of-network issue between you and us. Something is interrupting the communications. Uploading is a big two-way job: you request to upload, uploader sends a bit of the file (packet), we get the packet and say to back to you "got it!" - and then the process continues until the files are uploaded. Something's happening in between you and us.

Thanks, we're looking into it still.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    I was getting less then dialup uploads, Charter guy checked and replaced drop line but couldn't find anything else. Finally he said they have many problems with the local lines and were way behind getting them fixed. Last few days uploads were running at 200-300bps. Why SF and Smug d/l is so different below is really weird.
    4/25/2010 3:29 PM GMT    [COLOR=red]18.16[/COLOR] Mb/s  3.10 Mb/s     83 ms    San Francisco, CA  ~ 1750 mi 
    4/25/2010 3:29 PM GMT    9.71 Mb/s   3.14 Mb/s     45 ms     Kansas City, MO    ~ 250 mi 
    4/25/2010 3:28 PM GMT    11.09 Mb/s  3.13 Mb/s     45 ms     Saint Louis, MO    < 50 mi
    4/25/2010 3:27 PM GMT    [COLOR=red]52.31[/COLOR] Mb/s  3.13 Mb/s     67 ms     San Jose, CA       ~ 1700 mi
    4/14/2010 4:41 AM GMT    16.16 Mb/s  3.09 Mb/s     67 ms     San Jose, CA       ~ 1700 mi
    4/14/2010 4:40 AM GMT    3.69 Mb/s   2.71 Mb/s     68 ms     Saint Louis, MO    < 50 mi
    4/13/2010 7:03 PM GMT    7.47 Mb/s   [COLOR=red]0.11 Mb/s[/COLOR]     66 ms     Saint Louis, MO    < 50 mi 

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Matt, I understand you are angry.
    My words have been spoken with truth not anger.
  • Options
    BP2UBP2U Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    failed upload, twice?
    With the olde faithful uploader, I get no notice and 7 hours later there still isn't anything in the gallery I sent it to.

With the other drag/drop uploader, it showed progress and supposedly finished, but then at idle is showed (1) error: "Error writing request body to server"

What gives? It's MPEG, h.264, 1280x720, only 200+ mb, and I've uploaded two smaller clips successfully before...
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    burntpixel wrote:
    My words have been spoken with truth not anger.
    Hey, angry/upset/not happy - please don't read more into it .. I know it's not good for you, and the few others. Let us work on the problem, thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    cfrey6 wrote:
    An entire day goes by and no replies???

Any updates, status?? I replied back here a few times and also at help@smugmug.com and no replies. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    cfrey6 wrote:
    Any updates, status?? I replied back here a few times and also at help@smugmug.com and no replies. headscratch.gif
    What is the ticket #? I"ll look.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    cfrey6 wrote:
    We got a message from you 2 days ago and replied right away. It's ticket # 27373 did our reply get to your spam folder? ear.gif

In any case - we're looking into the issue out there on the networks. More here when we have it.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010

too many bytes written
    too many bytes written

i.e. 2 files - 3 errors

re-ran the load of the two files above and they load without error.

Andy, what can we do to help you?