Options

Stupid Squirrels

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited September 7, 2004 in The Big Picture
The neighborhood squirrels took a liking to my amateur radio antenna tuner. This poor thing was mounted to one of the beams supporting the cover over my deck.
5134317-L.jpg

Not only did they chew through the wire harness, they nawed all over the case of the tuner... and the tuner is made out of aluminum and ABS plastic!

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 14, 2004
    pellet gun.

don't have to kill the little buggers, but one pump will give 'em a good bite in the ass. I've tried squirrel proof bird feeders and none of them have worked, they still gnaw the heck out of the feeders trying to get at the seed. So I've gone on the offensive.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    pellet gun.

don't have to kill the little buggers, but one pump will give 'em a good bite in the ass. I've tried squirrel proof bird feeders and none of them have worked, they still gnaw the heck out of the feeders trying to get at the seed. So I've gone on the offensive.
    hey eric.. do what we did.. we put a squirrel feeder in the yard loaded with bird seed and they leave the bird feeder alone.. there is usually a tail sticking out of the squirrell box...
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    hey eric.. do what we did.. we put a squirrel feeder in the yard loaded with bird seed and they leave the bird feeder alone.. there is usually a tail sticking out of the squirrell box...
    oh fine, i guess I could try that umph.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    pellet gun.

I'm afraid that wont work for me. My air rifle is all or nothing. The pellet would probably go through the squirrel and still have enough energy to damage whatever it hit next.

On the other hand, I bet a felt cleaning pellet would sting pretty good naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I'm afraid that wont work for me. My air rifle is all or nothing. The pellet would probably go through the squirrel and still have enough energy to damage whatever it hit next.

On the other hand, I bet a felt cleaning pellet would sting pretty good naughty.gif
    that must be like one of those real air rifles... I'm doing my work with the Wal-mart $30 special, perfect for pest deterrance. Sorry Lynn, I promise I'll try nicer methods too.
    Erik

• Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    I've got a dog who'll fix your squirrel, mouse, rat, and gopher troubles right QUICK. Missy's a good dawg (better'n the cat, that's for sure)!

Now, look at the TEETH on that thang.. mwink.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    I've got a dog who'll fix your squirrel, mouse, rat, and gopher troubles right QUICK. Missy's a good dawg (better'n the cat, that's for sure)!

Now, look at the TEETH on that thang.. mwink.gif
    I used to have a dog that brought me "little presents" like this from time to time. Nothing like waking up to "dead varmint" on your pillow ... I should rephrase, nothing like waking up to HALF a dead varmint on your pillow ...
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    I used to have a dog that brought me "little presents" like this from time to time. Nothing like waking up to "dead varmint" on your pillow ... I should rephrase, nothing like waking up to HALF a dead varmint on your pillow ...
    But they're bein' such good dawgs! "See what I can do? Who needs that old cat, anyway?"

I've learned with this one, you let her on your bed once, she's gonna ALWAYS be there. She's weird though, the one and only creature I've ever seen her eat were some baby rabbits she and another neighborhood dog found on one of our walks through the hills up here. The squirrels, the mice, the rats, the gophers - NONE get eaten, though they all get crunched. What I'm most impressed with is her "instant kill" method. The one animal she hasn't gotten an instant kill with was a young skunk a few weeks ago.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    thanks seamaiden, but I already got one. Unfortunately, the local squirrels are real bastards. I mean REAL bastards! They ignore him cause they know he can't jump 6 feet in the air. He can be going mad from below, but the fat squirrels just sit and eat. Either I need to put the feeder lower, on a skinnier tree so he can shake 'em out, or teach him how to climb.

2243659-M.jpg

think those claws and teeth are big enough? (thats an xlarge jar of peanut butter)
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    thanks seamaiden, but I already got one. Unfortunately, the local squirrels are real bastards. I mean REAL bastards! They ignore him cause they know he can't jump 6 feet in the air. He can be going mad from below, but the fat squirrels just sit and eat. Either I need to put the feeder lower, on a skinnier tree so he can shake 'em out, or teach him how to climb.)
    You just need to teach him some patience... I remember sitting on a bench in middle of campus and hearing a god awful screeching noise. The source of the noise was a squirrel that was up in an isolated fairly small tree. Laying at the base of the tree was a golden retreiver who had a look of "scream all you want buddy, I'm not going anywhere." on his face. I don't know how the standoff ended since I had to go to class.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    You just need to teach him some patience...
    rolleyes1.gif A 5 year old chocolate lab/husky/who the heck knows what else mix... patience? Good one.
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Ol' Miss is a lab(oratory) mix, and I honestly couldn't tell you HOW she gets the squirrels. But, she does! The gophers are even more difficult. There's a big orange dog up the street, his tongue is scalloped from being bitten by squirrels he's got backed up into their holes. Don't like going with him, cuz all he usually does is eviscerate 'em then I get to finish the job. Gotta get a pic of Charlie, he's a damned good dog.

In any event, most of our squirrels live in the ground, though you certainly won't see a shortage of them in the trees. But around here they've also got to watch out for the red-tails, the kestrels, the ravens, and the crows. Somehow, the ground seems safer. They really raid a lot of migratory birds' nests, so I encourage the dog to do her thing.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    I have one these feeders.Electric 9-volt battery and the squirrels go flying. Mine will hold 22-25 pounds of seed at a time. Good zap from the electrodes. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifelectric feeder
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    Win38-55 wrote:
    I have one these feeders.Electric 9-volt battery and the squirrels go flying. Mine will hold 22-25 pounds of seed at a time. Good zap from the electrodes. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifelectric feeder
    $120 bird feeder!? Good idea, but the Wal-ly World pellet gun was way cheaper and useful for pesky house guests too. :D
    Erik

• Options
    DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif This is one funny-@ssed thread! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

My caught dog a squirrel once... A ground squirrel that she wouldnt let me pick up after she'd killed it... Stupid dog. I hate dogs. Im a cat person... Actually, Im a fish person... Pisces...

Dude, yove gotta post pics of you nailing the squirrel in the ass with a pellet! That would be so awesome! And a pic of the squirrel going fyling off the electrified bird feeder! Sweetness!
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    seamaiden, are the kestrels migratory too? I always wondered what kind of kestrels live down here (there)...

I remember when I lived in Washington (state, doofusi [plural for doofus]), during the winter, a North American Kestrel (the one with neat colorations on the breast and wings) flew right head first into our kitchen window, and lay unconcsious and spread-eagle in the snow for a bit. Then, when I opened the door to try and pick it up and see if it was alright, it got up, made the funniest squawk Ive ever heard from a raptor, and flew off. I bet that was a squawk of emberassment... Hee Hee...
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    I know that they're sharp-beaked and widespread, but I don't know that they're migratory.

I cannot believe you're a Pisces.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    You guys are pretty pissed off at squirrels! Well, here's one pissed off squirrel...

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/special/movies/foamy/

:nono WARNING: Rated R for very strong squirrel-type language! :nono
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    Hee! I haven't taken a look at Foamy's work since I was sent his diatribe on the Fatkins diet!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    Yah, that was classic! "any diet that says I can't eat an apple, but I can eat this pound of bacon..." (expletives deleted, of course.) rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2004
    I was kinda betting you were a Pisces, seamaiden! Yep, my Bday is 3/3/86.
    Yes, no shame here; I am 18. *cant wait for a different tone in people's posts*
    You are either a Pisces or an Aquarius, but its definitely water related!
    Do you know your Native American symbol/totem animal? Im the Wolf... Woof.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2004
    I was born on the cusp of Pisces and Aquarius, and I'm old enough to be your mother and I'll leave it at that. mwink.gif I think it's an interesting study in fate when considering that I practically held onto my mother's ovaries to prevent being born until the 20th day of February (just gave her time to see the Beatles' debut on Ed Sullivan), then I am named Marina, which means Seamaiden, and here I do so love water and fish.. and boats, can't leave out boats. But, can someone explain to me why I get so seasick?
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    I was kinda betting you were a Pisces, seamaiden! Yep, my Bday is 3/3/86.
    Yes, no shame here; I am 18.
    No offense, but that was pretty easy to guess. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2004
    Heh.. everywhere he goes.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    Awwwww awww! Lame duckage! I was gonna ask you about that seamaiden; why is it wherever I seem to go, I always stir everybody up and incite them to rile against me?! Am I some sort of revolutionary or something? This and RDO are the only two forums I "belong" to, but both of them seem to have their fair share of people with pitch forks and nooses waiting for me! What is it about me then?! OUT WITH IT!!!

Oh yeah earwax? I bet I can guess your age too! Sure, you may have taken enough photo classes to easily blind-side a newb like me, but youre only really in your late 20's/early 30's, with a margin of about +/- three years! Im just adding to your opinion of me, arent I? WELL AH DON CARE! *Snickers* Heh, the only good thing in Atlanta is [AS], and hell take the rest!

Wasnt this post originally about squirrels?
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    You're asking me why? Well, to be truthful I doubt it's the rest of the world that has the problem, is my short answer, and honest opinion. (You kinda come in like gangbusters, if that makes any sense to you.) If you'd like to consider yourself a revolutionary, go right ahead, I'm sure most of us have at one point or another in our lives. For all I know, you ultimately may be.

Beyond that, I can only tell you that when you can snatch the pebble from my hand will you have the true wisdom, grasshoppah. But first, you must be able to walk across the rice paper and leave no trace. mwink.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2004
    bowdown.gif Seamaiden, I salute your grace. You bring honor to Pisces. (March 1st, here.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2004
    Aw.. thanks, waxing-not-waning. My beau is March 11. :)
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    bowdown.gif Seamaiden, I salute your grace. You bring honor to Pisces. (March 1st, here.)
    Hi Sid.. I'm a pisces witch too!! Welsh and proud of it.. March 2nd. (good witch)..thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2004
    You're kidding! Never in my LIFE have I run into such a crowd of fishes. Aquarians, sure (both my folks are Aquarius), but Pisces? Leo, no doubt about it, they're all OVER the place.. wow. Kewl beans!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery