Options

Challenge 14 Voting Thread

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited June 21, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
The glorious moment anticipated by many has finally arrived. Put down the cameras for a moment and prepare your eyes for a visual feast. Once you have carefully pondered each photo. It is then up to you to vote for your favorite.

damonff, daughter and mother
4814862-L.jpg

ginger, child
4837060-L.jpg

shakey, any step will do
5080777-M.jpg

dkapp, reflection in the metro
4970295-M.jpg

gypsy an intent artist
4891678-M.jpg

gubbs, flowers in rush hour
5086344-L.jpg

sandy, engrossed
5043772-L.jpg

seemoon, bird
5066439-M.jpg

snapapple, manicure
5015929-M.jpg

davidto, friends
5047201-M.jpg
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Make your vote 43 votes

damonff, daughter and mother
20% 9 votes
ginger, child
6% 3 votes
shakey, any step will do
13% 6 votes
dkapp, reflection in the metro
27% 12 votes
gypsy an intent artist
2% 1 vote
gubbs, flowers in rush hour
2% 1 vote
sandy, engrossed
6% 3 votes
seemoon, bird
6% 3 votes
snapapple, manicure
2% 1 vote
davidto, friends
9% 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 14, 2004
    voting buttons missing... are they on delay (like last week)? did we figure that out?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    voting buttons missing... are they on delay (like last week)? did we figure that out?
    Sorry, no time to answer questions. My work here is done. I am ready for beam out Scotty!
    Now would be a good time!!!

Nut's it must be down again. While I wait for them to get me out of here, I will answer your question:

No, there is no delay, what are you talking about? The poll is right there at the top. Voting buttons missing?!?! I am so sure! mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    The glorious moment anticipated by many has finally arrived. Put down the cameras for a moment and prepare your eyes for a visual feast. Once you have carefully pondered each photo. It is then up to you to vote for your favorite.

Well, my favorite is mine...

But that doesn't mean that I think it's the best...

So I voted for the one I thought best.

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    So some of us didnt make the cut ?????????????

4868512-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    100 people have looked at this thread since i posted my query...you going to tell me no-one has an answer to whats going on ?

ear.gifear.gifear.gifear.gifear.gifear.gifear.gif

Hands up whom else had their photo dropped ?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    100 people have looked at this thread since i posted my query...you going to tell me no-one has an answer to whats going on ?

I'm not sure what you mean humy... only ten can be chosen..ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean humy... only ten can be chosen..ne_nau.gif
    Im stuffed if i was aware of that ?? My fault if it is written somewhere.

Thanks for being the one to answer me though lynn thumb.gif Must have been an Act5: Amendment 13 to the rules of the comp....my copy is probably still on the water.

Personally i liked it better the way it was when fish was doing it....one shot...one post...ALL in.... not just the 10 best photographers. Talk about turning our back on new people !!!

I do not tolerate separatism at all ....it corrupts.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Dan... Truth be known, I think 10 finalists are Too Many!
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks for being the one to answer me though lynn thumb.gif Must have been an Act5: Amendment 13 to the rules of the comp....my copy is probably still on the water.
    Personally i liked it better the way it was when fish was doing it....one shot...one post...ALL in.... not just the 10 best photographers. Talk about turning our back on new people !!!
    Dan,
    While I can totally understand where you are coming from in your frustration, I really think that 10 "Finalists" are still about 5 too many. Perhaps what might be considered would be to compile a list of all of the images for the assignment and then have two votes? The first to determine who the 5 finalists will be, the second to determine the overall winner. (Yet the problem with that approach again makes for more work for the moderator, and takes even more power of decision away from the "moderator/judge," whom I am suppossed to give credit for having more "knowledge and experience in these areas, than I.)
    Please note, I did not enter this past weeks assignment. Somewhere along the line during the "Pathways" assignment, I determined for myself, that I did not want to just post an entry for the sake of posting an entry, and so, when I was not really happy with any of my work for this assignment, I opted out. Maybe I'm a snob? I hope not, but if I am thought to be, am I really if all I want is to feel that when one of my photos is listed as a finalist, it is truly worthy of that placement? "The Critical Eye?"

Dan, you do beautiful work-- (as do many others involved with this forum.) I often see accolades to attest that listed on this site. Beginners and pros alike receive input and constructive criticism here... In just the few short months I have been here, I can see how far some have come... That being said however, doing great work does not always mean that the work one submits is the best of the whole, or worthy of being the absolute favorite of the group, at any particular time. There are no guarantees... Peer Perspective and the Critical Eye can at times seem fickle. This should never become a popularity contest. People should not be chosen simply because they entered, or because they haven't won before... They should be chosen based on the merits of that 1 individual photo, as if it were the only photo they ever submitted.

Verbalizing these thoughts makes my belief that 10 finalists is too many even more staunch. There has to be a cut off somewhere... Sad is the day when it is "your" photo, or mine...
    Please Forgive my diatribe.
    I remain,
    too often the one with foot in mouth,
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    dude i'm so sorry ....
    Humungus wrote:

let me restate the rules

up till now, you could enter three and i pick ten finalists. then you guys vote for the one winner. i don't see how this is turning our backs on new people? in fact, i took alot of time after the last challenge and gave critique for every single shot that was entered.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Dan,
    While I can totally understand where you are coming from in your frustration, I really think that 10 "Finalists" are still about 5 too many. Perhaps what might be considered would be to compile a list of all of the images for the assignment and then have two votes? The first to determine who the 5 finalists will be, the second to determine the overall winner. (Yet the problem with that approach again makes for more work for the moderator, and takes even more power of decision away from the "moderator/judge," whom I am suppossed to give credit for having more "knowledge and experience in these areas, than I.)
    Please note, I did not enter this past weeks assignment. Somewhere along the line during the "Pathways" assignment, I determined for myself, that I did not want to just post an entry for the sake of posting an entry, and so, when I was not really happy with any of my work for this assignment, I opted out. Maybe I'm a snob? I hope not, but if I am thought to be, am I really if all I want is to feel that when one of my photos is listed as a finalist, it is truly worthy of that placement? "The Critical Eye?"

Dan, you do beautiful work-- (as do many others involved with this forum.) I often see accolades to attest that listed on this site. Beginners and pros alike receive input and constructive criticism here... In just the few short months I have been here, I can see how far some have come... That being said however, doing great work does not always mean that the work one submits is the best of the whole, or worthy of being the absolute favorite of the group, at any particular time. There are no guarantees... Peer Perspective and the Critical Eye can at times seem fickle. This should never become a popularity contest. People should not be chosen simply because they entered, or because they haven't won before... They should be chosen based on the merits of that 1 individual photo, as if it were the only photo they ever submitted.

Verbalizing these thoughts makes my belief that 10 finalists is too many even more staunch. There has to be a cut off somewhere... Sad is the day when it is "your" photo, or mine...
    Please Forgive my diatribe.
    I remain,
    too often the one with foot in mouth,
    ginette

i will be keeping it between 5 and 10 finalists. what will change, is that the number of entries is going to go from three to one, per person.

i'm a firm believer in that the artist has to be super self-critical, so you've got to choose which of your possibles you want to be the one single entry into the challenge.

of course, the other "shots" forums and the photoshop shenanigans forum are availalbe for critique, advice etc during the challenge period mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

'gus, i thought in your post here you were kidding ... aw
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

i can assure you, there is no separatism here, and that i spend tons of time evaluating each and every entry in the challenges.

and after the evaluations, everyone who wasn't chosen, they get a critique from me. and after the voting, the finalists all get a post from me as to why they were chosen. here's the comment i made to your finalist in the last challenge
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Only ten, so sad, so happy, depends on the week
    I am new, I am honored to be in the ten, this time.

Are you a philosophy major?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 15, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Are you a philosophy major?
    Nope. engineer. rolleyes1.gif

Oh wait... were you asking Andy? Ginette? Gus? My vote between those three would definitely be on Ginette. As usual, I'd send her in to negotiate with the nutjob wielding a bomb.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    My ideas on the voting
    I am honored to be among the 10 finalists. I noticed my picture did not receive any votes, but that's OK. I don't think it's the best either. Actually I liked my "Sippin'" picture better. I think it had more personality. I'm anxious to see Andy's comments on why he liked "manicure" better. I really liked the comments from Andy on all the shots. This demonstrates to me how an expert opinion is better than voting from the members on picking the finalists. There is a lot there from which we can all learn.
    One comment on the voting - I'm not sure we should be able to see how the voting is going during the poll. I think it would be better to just show the totals at the end. I think there is a subtle influence on the voter when they see which shot is getting the early votes. It takes away from the independent choice. Does anyone else get this feeling?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    I'm not sure we should be able to see how the voting is going during the poll. I think it would be better to just show the totals at the end. I think there is a subtle influence on the voter when they see which shot is getting the early votes. It takes away from the independent choice. Does anyone else get this feeling?[/QUOTE]
    Well, we can't see the results until after we vote, so it already is the way you want it.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    Well, we can't see the results until after we vote, so it already is the way you want it.

yeh, that's the way i thought it was headscratch.gif

thanks for confirming, damon ;-)
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    You can see the totals if you have already voted, or have not logged in.

This is a feature of the software. It keeps unregistered users from voting and possibly messing w/ the results.

Dave
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    actually you can click on the button in the lower right of the poll and see the votes even if you havn't voted and are logged in.

You have to control yourself and not look before you vote. Or run the risk of being influenced.

I have not voted and am logged in and I just looked.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    actually you can click on the button in the lower right of the poll and see the votes even if you havn't voted and are logged in.

You have to control yourself and not look before you vote. Or run the risk of being influenced.

I have not voted and am logged in and I just looked.

Ok, I'm not crazy!! When ever I have looked at the poll I was not logged in at first. I looked to see if the poll was up yet, then I logged in and placed my vote. So, I always saw the results (so far) before I voted. I didn't know there was another way. I guess I can log in first next time and "control myself" as you say.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    But I still would be fine with only 5 finalists... 10 if we had 50+ entrants...
    andy wrote:
    i will be keeping it between 5 and 10 finalists. what will change, is that the number of entries is going to go from three to one, per person.
    i'm a firm believer in that the artist has to be super self-critical, so you've got to choose which of your possibles you want to be the one single entry into the challenge.
    of course, the other "shots" forums and the photoshop shenanigans forum are availalbe for critique, advice etc during the challenge period mwink.gif
    Andy:

Overall I agree with what you are saying here, and from where I sit, you are doing a darn good job. What you've agreed to take on requires a great deal of personal time and effort... Not too mention a few tantrums from us, along the way... I don't believe that any of us is paying you to do this task? (Well at least you're not on my payroll...)

By compeling us to limit our entries, you are pushing our hand, actually forcing us to self-judge and determine what it is about our photograph that makes it of "visual value." It can be tough... at times, almost like choosing a favorite among our children. But you are forcing us to take steps on our own, urging us to grow... I, for one, commend your efforts, applaud and Thank You.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    You can peek, even if you've not voted...
    andy wrote:
    yeh, that's the way i thought it was headscratch.gif

thanks for confirming, damon ;-)
    Andy:

I think it may depend on what browser you're using... Vote here is bold, but still were I to want to peek, I could click on the button to the right, I did it this last time voting, to be sure. I don't remember it having been this way until 2 assignments ago...
    ginette
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Andy:

Overall I agree with what you are saying here, and from where I sit, you are doing a darn good job. What you've agreed to take on requires a great deal of personal time and effort... Not too mention a few tantrums from us, along the way... I don't believe that any of us is paying you to do this task? (Well at least you're not on my payroll...)

By compeling us to limit our entries, you are pushing our hand, actually forcing us to self-judge and determine what it is about our photograph that makes it of "visual value." It can be tough... at times, almost like choosing a favorite among our children. But you are forcing us to take steps on our own, urging us to grow... I, for one, commend your efforts, applaud and Thank You.
    ginette

I have to agree, ginette. I learned a lot from Andy's comments on all the pics, but there were a LOT of them in this challenge. As we get more members on the site, this job could get overwhelming for Andy. The limit of ONE SHOT is a good idea. clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

wave.gif I didn't make it. 's OK, always next time. There's always been a cutdown, from day one. Otherwise, far too many for a poll.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    okay so you can peek .... but dont ;)
    AltPro wrote:
    Andy:

I think it may depend on what browser you're using... Vote here is bold, but still were I to want to peek, I could click on the button to the right, I did it this last time voting, to be sure. I don't remember it having been this way until 2 assignments ago...
    ginette

i'll see about ways to limit the ability to see the voting results before you vote.

thanks for the clarification, guys!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Thanks for all the time and energy put into the asssignment Andy, it's making this all great fun.. I just hope it does'nt get too big to handle.thumb.gifclap.gif
    Lynn
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Limit of one
    I know that everyone likes the limit of submitting just one picture for the challenge. I don't. I just have been wanting to say that. I don't like it at all.
    And I don't know how one learns to "self judge" in that way. What I mean is I don't think there is one good picture on a theme that I do. Subjectively I might like one better than another, but to know what another person is going to like subjectively, this is "art" after all, I think I am going to be playing a guessing game. I liked the child at the door from day one, but to tell the truth, I probably would have pulled it, not as a bad picture, or a lesser picture, just because I had been there, done that and looked at that picture a bit long at that point. I am glad I didn't pull that picture. I am just so proud to once, even if just once, have been "judged" subjectively to be a "real" photographer along with some people I consider great photographers, it gives me a lot of warm fuzzies.
    Now the point of this is, Andy, could you do a tutorial, post, or something on "self judging", something to give me a clue more of what you mean in a subjective area.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    Is it open season on "week 15ths" assignment?
    Andy?
    May we begin shooting on the new assignment, "movement?"
    Spent a couple of hours last night, and came up with some ideas, so ready to run... Want to be playing fair.
    Later,

ginette
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I know that everyone likes the limit of submitting just one picture for the challenge. I don't. I just have been wanting to say that. I don't like it at all.
    And I don't know how one learns to "self judge" in that way. What I mean is I don't think there is one good picture on a theme that I do. Subjectively I might like one better than another, but to know what another person is going to like subjectively, this is "art" after all, I think I am going to be playing a guessing game. I liked the child at the door from day one, but to tell the truth, I probably would have pulled it, not as a bad picture, or a lesser picture, just because I had been there, done that and looked at that picture a bit long at that point. I am glad I didn't pull that picture. I am just so proud to once, even if just once, have been "judged" subjectively to be a "real" photographer along with some people I consider great photographers, it gives me a lot of warm fuzzies.
    Now the point of this is, Andy, could you do a tutorial, post, or something on "self judging", something to give me a clue more of what you mean in a subjective area.

ginger

heya ginger ...

you'll be able to solicit input from the other forums here... so not to worry. i just think that in the end, *you* must decide which of your three (or now even more than three heheheh) shots should be the *one* that you put in the challenge.

hmm... a tutorial on being self critical --- okay i'll give it a go when i announce the next challenge, okay?
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    challenge 15 will start on thursday night
    AltPro wrote:
    Andy?
    May we begin shooting on the new assignment, "movement?"
    Spent a couple of hours last night, and came up with some ideas, so ready to run... Want to be playing fair.
    Later,

ginette

hey ginette - the new challenge will always start on a thursday night. so, go ahead and practice but please, no entries until then ;)