Options

Noise Issue PLEASE HELP

2»

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,853 moderator
    edited June 15, 2010
    When an image sensor heats up the noise component increases, no matter what the cause of the heating.

Common causes include high ambient temperatures, exposing the body to direct sunlight for an extended period and prolonged use of live view.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I don't think this has been mentioned yet, so... wanted to emphasize that there are two separate issues being discussed. One is noise and the other is sharpness.

Noise is purely a function of exposure, where all you need is to hit the correct exposure in JPEG or as high as you can without clipping highlights in RAW. The mode, aperture, shutter speed cannot create noise except when the settings you choose (or the auto camera settings you didn't override) result in underexposure. Underexposure will guarantee higher-than-normal noise after it's brightened later. Autofocus has zero interaction with noise.

Sharpness is related to shutter speed if you have motion blur, aperture if it's a depth of field problem, and autofocus if it's a focusing issue. These are each very different issues and you really got to isolate which one is the exact problem so that the corrective action you take actually does something. But sharpness won't be affected by over- or underexposure itself.
  • Options
    shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 685 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed with Canon in the sense that after speaking with them and sending them test images their guys were of no help at all.

On the other hand though, I'm glad things will be fixed and my camera & lenses will be returned in working order.

R.

Looking at the bright side, we are all in a constant learning mode. Take this as a great opportunity to learn more about the functions on your camera, how to better utilize the tools provided. this is a never ending learning experience...thanks to the input of each of you, we are learning right along with you.