Ladies and the Airplanes

2»

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Not sure what Jessica Tandy looked like at that age...

Thank you!

Hehe..well, in my dreams, this is what I'd want Miss Daisy to look like...although, I'd have a hard time driving rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited June 3, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Not sure if you can top that anymore Dave! This series is STUNNING, I am out of words, you blew my mind, too freaking beautiful!! and Now I want to sit in a corner and cry .... how did you just get that gooooooooddddd??????? (not that you weren't before) iloveyou.gif

Laughing.gif....you are just too sweet iloveyou.gif I'll never arrive but it's fun trying....live it, breath it, go for it....just like you!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • JMPJMP Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    One tiny thing, in #1 the sun light hitting the moon and the cloud to the right is different than that on the subject, was the cloud also added in pp?
    just curious!
    congratulations on that wonderful wonderful wonderful job!!!
    Canon 40D
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    JMP wrote: »
    One tiny thing, in #1 the sun light hitting the moon and the cloud to the right is different than that on the subject, was the cloud also added in pp?
    just curious!
    congratulations on that wonderful wonderful wonderful job!!!

Oh SNAP! Dave, did you just get busted??? rolleyes1.gif

So tell me ... when are going to do a workshop for us?? You know I'd totally fly in for something like this!! mwink.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    So tell me ... when are going to do a workshop for us?? You know I'd totally fly in for something like this!! mwink.gif

Yeah! And Alaska is a great place to host such a thing... every one gets a tax deductable vacation! (What am I saying! (?) You should hold your workshop some where with palm trees!)
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Yeah! And Alaska is a great place to host such a thing... every one gets a tax deductable vacation! (What am I saying! (?) You should hold your workshop some where with palm trees!)

Hmmmm, we still owe my husbands grandpa that lives in Alaska a visit, but palm trees would be cool with me too :Dthumb.gif
  • mhrivnakmhrivnak Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2010
    Incredible work. There has been a lot of well-deserved praise, but I hope you won't mind if I nitpick one particular issue.

There is just one thing that really bothers me in #1. The moon is way too big and too detailed. I can't possibly feel like I'm actually standing on the ground in front of that beautiful lady and airplane, because I know that the moon just doesn't look like that to the naked eye. It is dramatic, and perhaps an interesting effect. But for me, it instantly says "this isn't real", and I start questioning if the lady actually was standing on the wing, instead of just enjoying the photo. I would expect the moon to have less than half that diameter in real life.

Granted, I've probably spent more time looking at the moon than most people, but it's still way out of proportion. Perhaps you did that on purpose as part of a "fantasy land" effect, which I wouldn't argue with. But, if you want it to be believable as a real scene in which I could imagine myself being there, the moon ruins it.

The moon will be up tomorrow morning in the SW portion of the sky. Perhaps you should take a look at it for some real-world perspective, and see if you still like what you've done in picture #1.

Again, the work is really amazing, but this one point ruins my experience with #1.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    All of these were home runs (Planes of Fame in Chino?) but number three was hit way, way, WAY out of the park and is my favorite. It's very classy and vintage-inspired, and for that reason, I'd live to see it in B&W - I'll bet it'll look Noir!

Excellent work, Dave! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited June 6, 2010
    mhrivnak wrote: »
    Incredible work. There has been a lot of well-deserved praise, but I hope you won't mind if I nitpick one particular issue.

There is just one thing that really bothers me in #1. The moon is way too big and too detailed. I can't possibly feel like I'm actually standing on the ground in front of that beautiful lady and airplane, because I know that the moon just doesn't look like that to the naked eye. It is dramatic, and perhaps an interesting effect. But for me, it instantly says "this isn't real", and I start questioning if the lady actually was standing on the wing, instead of just enjoying the photo. I would expect the moon to have less than half that diameter in real life.

Granted, I've probably spent more time looking at the moon than most people, but it's still way out of proportion. Perhaps you did that on purpose as part of a "fantasy land" effect, which I wouldn't argue with. But, if you want it to be believable as a real scene in which I could imagine myself being there, the moon ruins it.

The moon will be up tomorrow morning in the SW portion of the sky. Perhaps you should take a look at it for some real-world perspective, and see if you still like what you've done in picture #1.

Again, the work is really amazing, but this one point ruins my experience with #1.

Thank you and I sincerely appreciate your insight. Please understand though that this particular shot isn't meant to be "realistic". The very fact that the processing is a bit flat, over the top type of contrast and over lighting of the entire scene is to create a particular "look", if you will, beyond the "normal". Oftentimes I take things completely out of reality (especially when working with models) and follow an artistic vision....as a whole...not for reality. Many times I'll put in elements to enhance a frame...sometimes I'll go way over board to covey a message..a statement. I have many shots that some say, "No way you could get that..the light isn't technically correct or thus and such". My point is to display a "feel" of a photograph...it's art, plain and simple. Obviously much of my model work isn't the typical one shot, what you see is what you get.....in fact, none of these shots are "out of camera" attempting to show what was simply there. Miss Daisy was heavily manipulated as well as Miss Mitchell. Naturally the pink background didn't exist...I just chose to manipulate those shots for a particular mood.

Your observations are correct and I applaud you for viewing with a discriminating eye. Please realize that we often times like to blend art with fantasy..something that is appealing to the eye, even if it isn't "possible", especially with one frame. #1 is taken in the same series as the shot taken with her sitting on the wing...there is no moon there of course....I took the first one and did something completely different for a particular look..which looks great to my eye.....as a WHOLE....not particulars.

Here's an example to where some like to say, "No way you could have captured that"..but to me, it's art....and blending art with photography is what my vision is all about.

542060300_gBj9R-X2-3.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Very good explaniation Dave....you are an artist and you paint with light.
  • fldspringerfldspringer Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    First, great series. I enjoyed the combo of the ladies and classic warbirds. The moon in the first is a bit over the top, but great overall.

I must say, though, I've known a few owners of these great planes that wouldn't let a set of spike heels anywhere near their babies. Risks are just too high and repairs cost a fortune.

Anyway, thanks for the series.
    edited June 7, 2010
    Thanks so kindly Greg & Charles. Finding some others to process...Laughing.gif...actually, I should get busy with paying client stuff eek7.gifhuh
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Incredible. #6 FTW!!!
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    AMAZING, AMAZING WORK!! Always such a pleasure to see your creative and beautiful images!!! Always WOWED!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Swartzy wrote: »
    Heheh....Jason...it's about the style of processing, not that she needs it. rolleyes1.gif cross between a bleach bypass/pin up/glam-beauty.

thumb.gifthumb Two thumbs up. Very nice...good work, Dave. Love your style and post processing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed