Options

Help with Studio Lighting

GrovesStudioGrovesStudio Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited July 16, 2010 in Technique
Alright.. here is the deal

I was contracted to do a studio shoot for a local school. Once I had talked to a friend I decided that I needed some studio lights. I went out and purchased the promaster 300ws lighting kit. I also rented a light meter. I ONLY had about 20 mins to set up and I had an extra hand at it too. After taking about 25 pics of my helper and adjusting, and re adjusting with the info from the light meter my pictures turned out HORRIBLE. I am so embarrassed. I can't even fix them in photoshop. They wall was a blue color (that the school ALWAYS uses) every picture looks over exposed and if I change anything in PS it makes them look purple. Does ANYONE have any suggestions on how to set these lights up so they don't look that way? I can't even fix this with PS....
I have tried and tried at home and can't get them set right so there is no shadow. and the color is correct :dunno

Comments

• Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    Does anyone have any advice
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    so did you shoot in RAW?
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    A doodle of your setup, or a picture of it would likely help a bunch. Sample images as well.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 21, 2010
    It sounds like your white balance may be off. You say the wall is blue, do you mean in your image the wall is blue, or that the wall really is blue. Did you think to shoot a grey card or a white card to use for white balance, perhaps?

Once again, were these images shot in RAW or jpgs? How accurate was your exposure?

A couple images with exif data might be very helpful.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    ok, it won't let me upload anything (this isn't a good day)

lets try this....

Person

light A Light B
    Camera

Light A is facing AWAY from the person (with umbrella)
    Light B is facing towards person (with umbrella)

The wall was actually BLUE and they were wearing white shirts. It over exposed everything. Made them all look bluish.
    I had my white balance set on flash
    I had a light meter that said to set my shutter on 10 and my aperture on 4.5
    I did just that. It over exposed everything and no, I'm a (insert bad word here) and didn't shoot in RAW, only jpeg.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    OK, well THAT didn't work
    Let's try this

.................................person...............................

........light A.....................................light B...........

................................camera.........................................

well not that far apart, but you get the jist right?
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    ok, it won't let me upload anything (this isn't a good day)

lets try this....

Person

light A Light B
    Camera

Light A is facing AWAY from the person (with umbrella)
    Light B is facing towards person (with umbrella)

The wall was actually BLUE and they were wearing white shirts. It over exposed everything. Made them all look bluish.
    I had my white balance set on flash
    I had a light meter that said to set my shutter on 10 and my aperture on 4.5
    I did just that. It over exposed everything and no, I'm a (insert bad word here) and didn't shoot in RAW, only jpeg.

You were shooting at 1/10 of a second? That is probably way to slow to have stopped movement of kids and probably the main reason things were overexposed.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    I tried some out in the living room... here is one of my dog... she wasn't very happy that I kept making her sit still...

IMG_9675sampple.jpg

This was at shutter of 50 and ap 4.5

I think it's MUCH better but still needs work
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Do the strobes have any settings on them, or just on/off? Also use shutter at 1/125 to help avoid motion blur by subject. The faster shutter speed with strobes shouldn't affect the image.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    They have many settings, model lights, beep, and the power of the lights, 1/32, 1/8,1/4, 1/2, full and notches in between.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Do you know what setting you had them on? What ISO were you using?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    I also just realized by rereading your initial post that you might have been using a light meter and not a flash meter, or a meter that does both, but not in the right mode.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 22, 2010
    For the school photos if you did not shoot in RAW then there is almost no chance for true remedial recovery of the color because the flesh tones I read are almost pure Magenta.

You really should reshoot the session.

The lights are set extremely poorly. They need to be "positioned" for portrait lighting of some sort and the "key" light needs to be higher and the subject farther from the wall so that the shadow is cast further down. The umbrellas probably should be used as shoot-through and larger umbrellas will yield softer shadows.

Shoot RAW and set your WB for Flash or Daylight, just to get your starting color balance close. Turn off any ambient lights.

Use your in-camera histogram and "blinkies" to gain control over exposure. Expose "to the right" but don't clip the highlights. A 3-color histogram works better than a luminance histogram to protect individual color channels.

A studio type portrait, as opposed to an environmental portrait, can consist of a number of different lighting and subject setups and orientations. Most of the light setups can be accomplished with 3-4 lights, not all of which have to be studio strobes.

In a classic portrait lighting setup you have 4 lights.

Key
    Fill
    Hair (or rim)
    Background

In this case the hair and background lights don't have to be studio strobes since they don't need modeling lights necessarily. You do need pretty good control over direction and output, which can be accomplished by a number of means.

There is a pretty good primer on studio lighting that shows basic lighting diagrams here:

http://www.geocities.com/glowluzid/portrait/portrait.html

Once you know the lighting setup names, feel free to Google for many more references on the 'Net.

For a school portrait session you might skip the hair light and background light, but key and fill lights are critical.

A very nice collection of lighting links:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=742194&postcount=10

A good primer on why you expose to the right:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    First, the short answer-if they are not reshootable-convert to b&w.
    The more difficult route is to try to correct them. You will need some photoshop experience but it is possible. Try starting by selecting the entire background with the "magic wand tool" and change the background to something pleasing to you. Then invert the selection and work on the color of your subject seperately. With a few other afjustments in brightness and saturation your images can become acceptable. Finally-sharpen as needed. They may never be perfect but if you can't reshoot you don't have much choice. For future refrence, your color balance is way off. That's whats producing the the purple look. Also until you get better at exposure techniques I would recommend bracketing your exposures. Look up some info on acheiving proper color balance and practice it. If all else fails set to auto.
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Perhaps I'm missing something here ?

When shooting with strobes why would you not set your camera to it's sync speed and meter for that ?

That eliminates ambient light from the equation and you can leave the WB at auto...

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    bham wrote: »
    I also just realized by rereading your initial post that you might have been using a light meter and not a flash meter, or a meter that does both, but not in the right mode.

I was using a SEKONIC Flashmate L-308S

I don't know if that helps or not. Although I may have been using it incorrectly!
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    For the school photos if you did not shoot in RAW then there is almost no chance for true remedial recovery of the color because the flesh tones I read are almost pure Magenta.

You really should reshoot the session.

The lights are set extremely poorly. They need to be "positioned" for portrait lighting of some sort and the "key" light needs to be higher and the subject farther from the wall so that the shadow is cast further down. The umbrellas probably should be used as shoot-through and larger umbrellas will yield softer shadows.

Shoot RAW and set your WB for Flash or Daylight, just to get your starting color balance close. Turn off any ambient lights.

Use your in-camera histogram and "blinkies" to gain control over exposure. Expose "to the right" but don't clip the highlights. A 3-color histogram works better than a luminance histogram to protect individual color channels.

A studio type portrait, as opposed to an environmental portrait, can consist of a number of different lighting and subject setups and orientations. Most of the light setups can be accomplished with 3-4 lights, not all of which have to be studio strobes.

In a classic portrait lighting setup you have 4 lights.

Key
    Fill
    Hair (or rim)
    Background

In this case the hair and background lights don't have to be studio strobes since they don't need modeling lights necessarily. You do need pretty good control over direction and output, which can be accomplished by a number of means.

There is a pretty good primer on studio lighting that shows basic lighting diagrams here:

http://www.geocities.com/glowluzid/portrait/portrait.html

Once you know the lighting setup names, feel free to Google for many more references on the 'Net.

For a school portrait session you might skip the hair light and background light, but key and fill lights are critical.

A very nice collection of lighting links:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=742194&postcount=10

A good primer on why you expose to the right:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

Thank you for all of your help. For some reason some of the links aren't coming up, most of them say the page is invalid.

I think that from studying online last night I did a number of things wrong.
    1. I didn't have the person far enough away from the backdrop
    2. I am working with a very limited space (maybe about 4 ft wide)
    3. lighting positions are WAY off
    4. not having enough lights (I have 2, people recommend 4) Then again if I get any more lights in my 4 ft area then I will have to use a crane to get people to the stool!

I am re shooting the session. I explained that I had a memory card failure and was unable to recover the images. (I figured this sounded better than telling her I suck and the pictures looked bad)

Is there anything in where I should set my KEY light and FILL light since this is all I have to work with. Also they have over head florescence that I am unable to turn off. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not with how I set my WB.

I tired drawing a pic in paint and uploading it for you to see how small of a space I have. There is a blue wall with white shirts (as you can see in the example picture. The blue is much more blue than what is shown.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    I set up my lights again in my living room. and I used my daughters Bratz doll for some test shots. Can you all please critique these and let me know what you think.

Bratz doll one light.jpg

This was shot with a Canon 40D 50mm lens ISO 100, WB set on flash, shutter speed 125 and aperture 5.0. Also with only one light.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    This was shot with a main light and a fill light. Same settings as the previous picture...

Bratz doll 2 lights.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I have a few quick thoughts on this, hopefully others with more lighting experience can correct my thoughts if they are off base.

I do not believe you can be successful shooting in a four foot wide box with blue walls. I would think that you would get blue light bouncing back into the image, plus you unacceptable room to move your lights.

This is a school? There has got the be a better, bigger location.

I would set my shutter speed to less than your camera's sync speed. My camera's sync speed is 1/200, but with studio strobes I generally shoot at 1/160 or 1/125. Studio strobes are normally a little slower than spedlights so if you shoot at your maximum sync speed you will get a black band where the shutter curtain is exposed to the light.

For plain school shots I would use f5.6 or even f8 for the aperture depending on your lens. For this shoot I would stay away from an artistic creative approach.

You should be able to get a nice clean portrait with two lights. Maybe try one strobe camera left higher than the subjects head pointing down. set the second strobe camera right slightly lower than the subjects head. Try setting the camera left strobe at a higher power than the camera right strobe to create some soft shadows giving the face some depth and detail. You can also use white foam to bounce some fill where needed.

Again hopefully the more experienced lighting people will chime in.

Practice your set up at home.

Sam

Edit: You posted your doll image while I was typing this. This looks pretty good to me, but maybe you could use a little more DOF. What were your settings equipment and lens?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I have a few quick thoughts on this, hopefully others with more lighting experience can correct my thoughts if they are off base.

I do not believe you can be successful shooting in a four foot wide box with blue walls. I would think that you would get blue light bouncing back into the image, plus you unacceptable room to move your lights.

This is a school? There has got the be a better, bigger location.

I would set my shutter speed to less than your camera's sync speed. My camera's sync speed is 1/200, but with studio strobes I generally shoot at 1/160 or 1/125. Studio strobes are normally a little slower than spedlights so if you shoot at your maximum sync speed you will get a black band where the shutter curtain is exposed to the light.

For plain school shots I would use f5.6 or even f8 for the aperture depending on your lens. For this shoot I would stay away from an artistic creative approach.

You should be able to get a nice clean portrait with two lights. Maybe try one strobe camera left higher than the subjects head pointing down. set the second strobe camera right slightly lower than the subjects head. Try setting the camera left strobe at a higher power than the camera right strobe to create some soft shadows giving the face some depth and detail. You can also use white foam to bounce some fill where needed.

Again hopefully the more experienced lighting people will chime in.

Practice your set up at home.

Sam

Edit: You posted your doll image while I was typing this. This looks pretty good to me, but maybe you could use a little more DOF. What were your settings equipment and lens?

I wish I HAD a better location. Unfortunately I don't.

I was in M mode. With a 50mm lens Canon 40D
    ISO-100, F/5.0, Shutter 125.
    I don't know how to set or find out maximum sync speed. I'm not sure what that is.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Could you drape the walls either with black cloth to reduce the light bounce, or white to at least remove the color cast of the light that does bounce around?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Could you drape the walls either with black cloth to reduce the light bounce, or white to at least remove the color cast of the light that does bounce around?

They want the blue wall for a background...
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Hi there:

Quick question: Where you using an umbrella? shoot through or bounce? Or maybe a softbox? a beauty dish?

For portraits, you don't need a lot of lighting source. Often times 1 is enough. You can do the butterfly technique, using 1 light and a reflector.

- you are right about the subject, make sure the subject has enough distance from the background to avoid the shadows, unless you want this effect (mostly used for fashion, using ring light)
    - just set your shutter speed to 1/125, iso 100
    - don't worry about the white balance, just set it to AWB (auto)
    - you can set your aperture according the power of the light source (you can use your light meter for this, make sure you are on the correct mode)
    - ALWAYS check your Histogram (in camera) to make sure that your photos are properly exposed.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    They want the blue wall for a background...
    I meant light bouncing around off side walls or back walls.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I set up my lights again in my living room. and I used my daughters Bratz doll for some test shots. Can you all please critique these and let me know what you think.

Bratz doll one light.jpg

This was shot with a Canon 40D 50mm lens ISO 100, WB set on flash, shutter speed 125 and aperture 5.0. Also with only one light.

There are a lot of shadows on the face (right side) and hotspots on some areas (lips, left side of her face, just below left eye, and also just below the neck)

hotspots or uneven lighting: there are a few things you can do to eliminate the hotspots

- you may want to adjust your aperture to maybe f8 or higher
    - move the light source further
    - have the model move further away from the source
    - power down your light source

Shadows:
    - what's the ratio you used for the main/fill light? looks like the main light is overpowering your fill, which is creating the shadows on the face
    - you can power down the main light
    - or you can power up the fill (then compensate by changing your aperture)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    The sync speed refers to the fastest shutter speed you can use with a speedlight. This is listed in your camera manual. I think yours is 1/250 so with strobes you could use up to 1/200. 1/125 is fine.
    Later you can research high speed sync.

Again I would probably use f8 to get a nice clean crisp image.

As to the location. I can't believe you and the school couldn't find an alternate location. The hall way would be bigger. The men's room would be bigger, and have white walls. :D Outside under a tree / awning / roof with a backdrop would be better.

You are the photographer. You need to be able to determine what is and what isn't possible or feasible. Based on what you have posted, I would probably turn the job down if forced to shoot in this space.

They can make all the assurances in the world that they understand the location limitations and a little blue, and inferior lighting will be acceptable, but don't for a minute believe it. If the photos are bad, it is your fault.

Shoot RAW

Let us know how it turns out!

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    The sync speed refers to the fastest shutter speed you can use with a speedlight. This is listed in your camera manual. I think yours is 1/250 so with strobes you could use up to 1/200. 1/125 is fine.
    Later you can research high speed sync.

Again I would probably use f8 to get a nice clean crisp image.

As to the location. I can't believe you and the school couldn't find an alternate location. The hall way would be bigger. The men's room would be bigger, and have white walls. :D Outside under a tree / awning / roof with a backdrop would be better.

You are the photographer. You need to be able to determine what is and what isn't possible or feasible. Based on what you have posted, I would probably turn the job down if forced to shoot in this space.

They can make all the assurances in the world that they understand the location limitations and a little blue, and inferior lighting will be acceptable, but don't for a minute believe it. If the photos are bad, it is your fault.

Shoot RAW

Let us know how it turns out!

Sam

I had told them I was afraid I was going to get a blue cast to the photos. They said the other photographer didn't. I saw his photos, they are right, he must have known something I didn't.
    I plan on shooting in RAW ( I won't make THAT mistake again)

Thank you for all of your feedback. I'm sure that if I have enough time to set up and about 4 ft wider space I can accomplish the look I am going for.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010