• Options
    mtmcelvymtmcelvy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Bride's paradise!
    918285753_pcqJH-XL.jpg
  • Options
    mtmcelvymtmcelvy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Love it Babicus!! I hope you stopped him before he got to far with her!!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    2 more days folks!!! Lets get some more in!!!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Aleksandras BabiciusAleksandras Babicius Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    arune_tadas.jpg
  • Options
    renren Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    arune_tadas.jpg

ooo. that's a good one.
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Tons of inspiration here! I met with a bride this morning (getting hitched in 10 days. woot!) and she specifically is looking for a road/trail shot to go with their love of traveling. And I immediately knew I was coming back to these posts. Woot!
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2010
    closed for new entries, and results coming soon!!! Wow there is some good stuff here... this is going to be tough.
    Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2010
    Wow! This was a tough one to judge. Lots of good images this month, so to make it a little easier on myself I am being extra strict on the theme. That is to say that the Road Track or Trail should compliment or add to the images. Certainly more to it than that but I am making that a main deciding factor. I will add comments for the other images in a bit, but here are my picks.

1st place Matt Saville
    763665435_G3XHL-L-1.jpg

2nd place Nicole
    925141782_3WYdZ-L.jpg

3rd Place Jeff
    449820956_LQPXP-XL-2.jpg
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited July 24, 2010
    OK, just a few thoughts on each image individually. Please understand that this was difficult for me to judge and there were many images that I really like. I was splitting hairs to choose my favorites! also, none of the below is meant to be the final word on photography, it is simply my personal opinions and meant to be seen as such. Hopefully at least some will find that interesting or helpful.

Kyeezie:
    This is a nice image! Very few things are as beautiful and romantic as a road covered with a canopy of trees. This is a little too centered for my taste and the processing is lacking a little bit of pop. Great image regardless of any of that but I think an off centered composition that takes advantage of the road curving into the unknown would have been a little better.

Qarik:
    Your use of natural light and subtle fill flash (I think you tapped this with your flash, it is often hard for me to tell with your work!) is spot on as usual. Processing is nice and clean. I find the perspective a little too confusing and don't really like how you cropped their feet out in this case. I'm sure they loved this and it has found its way into more than one frame!

Angie:
    Angie this is a gorgeous image! The richness of the colors and the comp are just wonderful. This is the type of image I was expecting to get a lot of when I came up with the theme. This is really the bread and butter image that I was thinking of... "walking toward a better life"/end of album kind of thing. I would ditch the post between the trees to the right, but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing. Great image!!!

Heather:
    This is a great image! Processing is perfectly Heathered with the exception of the bra buckle showing through your grooms jacket... :D The pik-i-nik basket on Kodiak Island seems very Yogi, but I love that and the umbrella and the gentle touch from the groom on his new wife's back. I will say that I wish I could have seen the pathway a bit more than I do here. B&G to the left a couple of feet and WOW, that would rock. As it is I can kind of make out the path curving to the left, but they are blocking it. Wonderful image girly girl, and the other one was very fun. I regret not letting people post 2!

Ken:
    I see what you are doing here with this comp. this is a great candid capture. Anybody who knows me here knows that I love, love, love the negative space, so this type of comp is right up my alley for sure. Only thing is that your secondary subject, being the trees/forest isn't really that picturesque. Things seem a little scrub-brushy so this maybe wasn't the time to use this much negative space. Not a bad comp though and certainly one to be cherished by the bride which is far more important than anything I have to say about it!!! You could have given the processing a bit more pop and gone a little warmer for her alabaster skin but it is in no way offensive, just not ideal to my eye. thanks for posting though Ken and please keep entering. I really like that we had some new faces in this round!!

Ren:

Another newcomer showin her goodies!!! Woot! Thanks for posting this wonderful image. Processing is breathtaking. Between the quality of the late day light, the fact that the fall colors were absolute peak, and the perfect exposure this is a great image. I don't care for the tilt here at all and I think a horizontal comp would have been a little better. This tilt just feels random to me. I would love to see a little more of the pathway to the right and the couple off centered a bit more. You are showing real nice interaction between the couple which is something I like to see. Walking away facing forward is just walking away, but walking away and conversing is much more alive and real and memorable. I like the duck too... quack! Great image and thanks for posting.

Dave:

Whoa... the opportunity of a lifetime to shoot this ehh? I'm sure I speak for the entire population who has seen this shot in saying I am envious of you being able to do this! Wonderful use of the sky and mountain-scape in the background. Processing is a tad under exposed to my eye but otherwise wonderful and highlights the clouds on the mountaintops perfectly. Only major flaw I see is the guy who only has a single eyeball in the frame. We have all done it and it certainly happens but a rather big flaw by comparison with the rest of the elements of this image. I love this image and am real happy to see it again. I do remember your first posting of this series and it is all work to be proud of.

Sonyman:
    Well, so far at Dgrin you have only one post and this enty was it so hopefully you will be back to the forum to hang out with us. The image is cute, the way the road travels off behind them is great. The canopy of foliage is beautiful and their expressions are very fun. Obviously a giggly moment while trying to pose, and that kind of real emotion is priceless. However... for me, the processing killed this otherwise great image. The dark yellowish blotches all over the place and the fuzzy glow... way over processed my friend. If you do read this and have the original I would love to see it. I think just straight or at least far more subtle processing would make this a much nicer image. The capture itself is great though!

Smurfy,
    Hello again my little blue friend! This image is nice. The expressions are spectacular. It doesn't have much pop and could use a little more attention in the processing. The comp is a little busied up with the scrub on the right and the tilted lamp post on the left. I pulled this one down and opened it in PS. I cropped from middle of the rock on the right to the edge of the lamp post and leveled it on the bridge in the background and liked it much better that way. Doing that it was more about the skyline, the path, and the couple. Neither the bridge on the right nor the foliage do much of anything for me. Great job catching the emotion though. They are a cute couple and you are showing them off well here. Again an image that I have no doubt the couple will love.

Xmetal:
    Good day mate! (sorry, that is all the Austrailian I know. Ha!) Cool image. Solid comp, yes I do sometimes like centered images! This is about the two of them having fun. Great capture, nice little touch with the wedding wishes on the bus screen. I assume you photoshopped that in. The expressions are great, the exposure and processing are great, and this is a perfectly captured memory for the b&g without question. To my eye there is nothing wrong with this image at all. Great job and thanks for posting.

Nicole
    Nicole, I'm not sure if I have had the opportunity to tell you in any of your threads but you, my dear, are a wonderful photographer. You have a great eye and this shot really shows that. Exposure and processing are great. Just a smattering of sun on her face and chest as she turns, blue sky, fluffy white clouds, bright green grass... yum! There are many things I like about this comp. I like how you squared up on the road yet shot your subject off center. In this case, the convergence of the lines of the road seems very natural, and I love how it seems to extend for miles before it finds that little farmhouse. Fence to the left is reminiscent of classic landscape technique by placing an object of interest in the foreground, the fact that it also extends away or outward is even more appealing to me. But, the peis de resistanz (yeah... I know I can't spell it) is her. As bright and sunny of a day as this obviously was, the brightness of the sun pales in comparison to the glow coming of this beautiful woman's lovely face. Her body language reeks of raw energy and she is so obviously happy at this very moment. What a wonderful capture! To be able to set up your comp as you did but still find that dapple of sunlight for her face, and then nail that perfect fraction of a second that makes me feel all this emotion from a single frame is amazing. Job well done Nicole, this is a keeper for sure.

SSimons
    Classic dip shot so you gotta love that... foot in the air an all. I like the flare at the top of the structure and the long directional shadows across the bridge. The structure is a little catiwhumpus (don't you love how I just make up my own words as I go?) I posted something in the before and after weekly discussion thread a few weeks ago showing how to correct for that. it isn't a real bad case here but I would square it up if it were mine. Exposure is great, and processing is just fine, though I might have tried a very subtle vignette to temper the outside of the frame a touch and make the center pop a little more. I don't usually care for text in an image unless it is relevant, and this may be to them but to me it is "love on the rocks" Ha! Just teasing, had to say it. Good image though probably not a showstopper. In this case I think moving in closer would have been better but that may not fit the theme that way and you probably shot this a multitude of ways but used the one that was most theme appropriate.

Swartzy:
    Ahh... the old grey wizard bustin out some magic on us eh? Aren't you proud of me for remembering you aren't the good looking young guy in your avatar? ha! So anyway, I love this image. There are tracks as you said but that doesn't really make the image. what does make the image is that beautiful train car, and the bride's expression, and the the patch of sky that seems to be a hole in the image that you dumped a bunch of gorgeous light through, and the dynamic range you were able to get with all that sun streaming in due to (most likely) perfect exposure in-camera, and the old weathered door to the left, and the paint peeling off the trim... Love, love, love this image Swartzy. Perfectly done on every level... well you could have used a little more train tracks! Ha!!!

fstop jorik
    Nice image. this is a bread and butter image with a bread and butter pose. It's a bread and butter Dagwood with a side of fisheye! I really like the perspective and the use of the fish from ground level. this makes an otherwise over used pose a lot more special. Harsh sunlight, so not much you can do about that. well not much more than you did since you handled it perfectly. I'm not crazy about all the parked cars, and that to me detracts a bit. Exposure is good but the processing doesn't appeal to me. Overall a good image and a nice wrinkle on this pose. thanks for posting!!!

Jeffreaux2:
    Man this is a nice image! The kiss, the posturing, the tippy toes, the firm supportive grip on his girls hand, the texture on the path, the processing, the bokeh... this is a great, great image. The lamp posts really make this one. it is as if an artist waived his brush and placed them there only to compliment your image. I normally don't care for square crops but I love it here. Wonderful image my friend, thanks so much for posting it.

Jeff Milo
    Of all the images here I think the combination of his and her expressions take the cake. I love your comp. Perfect use of tilt, some foreground and background blur, her hair flowing in the breeze. Really nice! Processing isn't so great and you lost most of the detail in her hair because of it. You blocked off the path a scoche, but that doesn't make the image any less remarkable. personally I would go back to the original and pull down the black levels, and maybe blur that one branch in the lower right that found your plane of focus, but other than that this is spectacular.

Jennifer's image is good but I have to say I don't personally care for the mid-tone abuse in the conversion. The lighting on her face is wonderful and both expressions are again very good. He is even standing fairly stiff and soldier-like which is awesome. I can see why you like it so much.

Matt Saville:
    Matt this image is just awesome. Again this reminds me somewhat of a landscape comp and here you are using the pathway as your foreground interest. The path is only in the foreground, but because of the positioning of the couple you know precisely where the path continues. The building is gorgeous with all the water stains. Processing is wonderful and very rich looking. you can even see just enough of his cheek to tell he is smiling, and she is pulling him in close to her. The fact that it was a candid image even kicks it up another notch. Great Job!

Urbanaries:
    Lynn I love this image and as Jeff said the bike makes it for sure. This has a real street photography feel to it. Busy but really interesting and makes you want to keep looking at the faces and other details. The processing is a little hot for my taste, but I know we have different tastes and that is cool. Anyway you slice it it is a fantastic and artful image. I personally would love to see that new b&w you showed us used on this!

mtmcelvy:
    Fantastic image and expression. The processing looks nice and clean and natural. I wish I could get a little more detail in her veil but with that sky it is tough. I would like to have seen the whole veil but that isn't a big issue, and maybe even adds to the motion effect as it is. I think I see some catch lights in her eyes and if so this is wonderful flash work. To my personal taste this is perfectly balanced but if ambient only you found what I am seeing and that is just as awesome. This is a great image, and thanks for posting!

Aleksandras:

Ok, imagine having to be me and tell Aleksandras that he couldn't post his image pair because of me saying only one... wow were those awesome! That broke my heart to do that!!! Certainly each on it's own would only be half as good without the other! The new image though is no less inspiring. Absolutely brilliant composition. Framing the couple with the blurred foreground, level with the path, motion in the dress and his coat, notable expressions without even seeing their faces, the brides dress and parasol. Great image Aleksandras. Somewhat less interesting use of negative space compared to much of what you have shown us in the past but a spectacular image that is a perfect depiction of your style. Wonderful!

thanks to all for posting! Congrats to Matt, Nicole and Jeff!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    renren Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Congrats you guys!! clap.gif Thanks Matt for the C&C. This was fun.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Man this is a nice image! The kiss, the posturing, the tippy toes, the firm supportive grip on his girls hand, the texture on the path, the processing, the bokeh... this is a great, great image. The lamp posts really make this one. it is as if an artist waived his brush and placed them there only to compliment your image. I normally don't care for square crops but I love it here. Wonderful image my friend, thanks so much for posting it.

The original framing was a landscape composition...but the classic feel of the image begged for the square. Square crops may not be for everyone, but for me....and my tastes....there is room for it. It was used in a 10x10 album and fit nicely edge to edge.

I like the lamp posts as well, and also the benches and garbage cans disappearing off into nothingness. I am always on the hunt for receding lines, and when I find repeating lines like this....I like to take advantage.

The pose is...well...unposed. I had set up my composition and directed them as they walked away from me into place and asked them to stop there. My daughter was along with me to drag gear and aim lights on the shoot and we were discussing something or other and when I looked back the couple had set this shot up for me themselves. Chemistry took over the shot. I knew at the click of the shutter the potential of this image.thumb.gif

The processing was pretty intense. Several curves layeres were combined with masks to increase contrast in important parts of the image, but to also retain detail at the ends of the histogram.

Swartzy provided the title!

- I had been a little let down by the choice of clothing. In particular, the super short sleeves and color of the girl's top(BRIGHT blue). The black and white treatment fixed half of that, and this particular shot wasnt negatively affected by the short ...or no sleeve top.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    What a great set of photos! And Mmmatt you are so awesome to do all of that C & C!

I almost think we need to keep this thread open to more road tracks and trails photos.... .... ..... Such a great idea Mmmatt!
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    Although my personal taste is definitely towards "reality" in a picture like this, rather than colors that have been obviously "popped" by upping the saturation in post, I do see the appeal of a more vibrant treatment that many prefer. This was , for better or worse, the real colors in a Brooklyn park on a spring day.

*snip*
    I totally get what you are saying Smurfy! As I said I was speaking of only my personal tastes. I do wage that inner battle myself sometimes too, so I know where you are coming from. Though I obviously lean more toward the other end.

jeffreaux2 wrote: »

The pose is...well...unposed. I had set up my composition and directed them as they walked away from me into place and asked them to stop there. My daughter was along with me to drag gear and aim lights on the shoot and we were discussing something or other and when I looked back the couple had set this shot up for me themselves. Chemistry took over the shot. I knew at the click of the shutter the potential of this image.thumb.gif
    Jeff I don't think there is any other way an image like this can come about. It's a pure moment, and it shows. The use of lines combined with the raw emotion is a powerful combination!

What a great set of photos! And Mmmatt you are so awesome to do all of that C & C!

I almost think we need to keep this thread open to more road tracks and trails photos.... .... ..... Such a great idea Mmmatt!
    You can repost your other one! I like that one too... it was Heather's sassy side!! By all means if anyone wants to continue to post more images in this thread that would be great. These were amazing!

I'm glad I judged this one because it forced me to really look at them and appreciate the nuances. I wish I could get a 16x24 of all of these and oogle close up!!! We may be a small little chunk of the www, but there is some talent at dgrin for sure. This thread proves it. thumb.gif

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited July 25, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    No "snip" intended, honestly!!

So here's a few more that fit the category, since it was so hard to pick just one!

Gotta love the internet!!! I usually put a *snip* where I cut out part of the message I am quoting. I know you weren't being snippy!!! These are very nice too!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Hey, I honestly didn't know if my image would make the cut! Some impressive work from everybody else; thanks...

Gonna hafta re-read all the previous contest topics, to see what themes have already been done before I pick the next one. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Thanks Matt! this was a great challenge. I had a hard time picking my fav from this shoot. (i just wish she was a little less formal with her dressing to match the future hubby).

Can't wait to shoot their wedding in November at the same winery. And you are right on...she is an amazing person.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    I guess I should throw out a few too!
    937269116_AN9Fw-L-1.jpg

583520136_D55jP-L-1.jpg

710603426_s8Pcd-L.jpg

711072302_YPhJy-L.jpg

711077947_EfunZ-L.jpg

685274945_vJwZd-L-1.jpg

Probably more around somewhere but that is probably the bulk of the rt&t stuff I have done.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Matt,

How about rings or cakes. I have been dying to post a few for those!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    Matt,

How about rings or cakes. I have been dying to post a few for those!
    Well, you'll just have to win the current challenge and pick that as the next topic, won't you? :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Hey, mmmatt, it was really nice that you took the time to critique all the images!