Lunar Eclipse and Sunrise on Mt. Rainier

2»

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    I bet we missed him, Dan. Ron probably left for his sunrise/sunset/eclipse/side trip to the Grand Canyon a week ago lol3.gif

Shoot, I didn't know.
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Pray for clear skies! :D

We'll be trying it here. Already prayed, and it's stopped snowing and a little clear sky is poking into the sunset right now! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    1 & 3 for me. You have consistently the most amazing work, Well done.bowdown.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Will you be shooting the eclipse tonight? Any tips?

Short shutter speed! And clear skies.
    kdog wrote: »
    Pray for clear skies! :D

Exactly.
    chrismoore wrote: »
    great shots here. I like #3 best, I bet it would have also looked great as a long exposure with the cloud motion.

It was pretty bright and I didn't have an ND filter - but yeah, a long exposure would have been cool.
    I bet we missed him, Dan. Ron probably left for his sunrise/sunset/eclipse/side trip to the Grand Canyon a week ago lol3.gif

A week? It only takes 17 hours to drive from Seattle to the Grand Canyon! Unfortunately I'm still up here and the forecast hasn't been great, not even getting fresh snow at Rainier so it's all packed and covered with tracks. Might venture out to Crater Lake soon...
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Not gonna happen here :cry

I'll just have to wait for everyone else's shots!

Likewise!
    zoomer wrote: »
    1 and 3 for me. 5 is just a step above.
    Really nice work.

Thanks!
    richy wrote: »
    1&3 are stupidly awesome. Were you close to a road or hiking lots? I am seriously jealous they are amazing captures.

These were all within 1/4 mile of the road :)
    coldclimb wrote: »
    We'll be trying it here. Already prayed, and it's stopped snowing and a little clear sky is poking into the sunset right now! :D

Good luck!
    bgarland wrote: »
    1 & 3 for me. You have consistently the most amazing work, Well done.bowdown.gif

Thanks!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Ron you're always so inspiring. I need to hit you up to find out where and how you keep your ear to the ground for things like cool weather and astronomical forecasts!

He,s a software engineer. He creates excel spreadsheets with links to gps, weather, moon angles, sunrise sunset moonrise moonset times, etc. Be in the right place at the right time is his forteclap.gifclaprolleyes1.gifclap
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    He,s a software engineer. He creates excel spreadsheets with links to gps, weather, moon angles, sunrise sunset moonrise moonset times, etc. Be in the right place at the right time is his forteclap.gifclaprolleyes1.gifclap

If you want a cool tool that will do all that for you check this out.

http://photoephemeris.com/

It will even tell you when the light will pop over the local ridge and light up the lake you want to shoot.

Or just hang with Ron. That works very well too.

:D
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Really nice series Ron. I'm with the gang on #3, I love the symmetry this image, it is literally one triangle after another which also continues into and through the sky. Can't ask for more than that to lead the viewer through your image. Thanks for your efforts to bring us such nice images.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    number 3 is drool worthy....holy cow... big difference than what i was able to shoot here at 3 am....
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    If you want a cool tool that will do all that for you check this out.

http://photoephemeris.com/

It will even tell you when the light will pop over the local ridge and light up the lake you want to shoot.

Or just hang with Ron. That works very well too.

:D

Awesome shots, Ron!

Very cool recommendation bgarland. That combined with the clear sky charts from: http://cleardarksky.com/csk/ make for some effective forecasting.

Are there any other cool tools/resources for determining the right time to be in a place?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    rteest42 wrote: »
    number 3 is drool worthy....holy cow... big difference than what i was able to shoot here at 3 am....

That would be because this thread was originally posted in June, different eclipse. thumb.gif
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Spectacular, Ron! So striking! Best, Pam