Valley of Fire Sunset Pano

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited August 16, 2010 in Landscapes
955967974_3vUfa-X2.jpg

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Beautiful shot. Great foreground detail and color. I'm not sure if it's my monitor but the right side seems a little hot. But again, that could be my monitor.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 2, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Beautiful shot. Great foreground detail and color. I'm not sure if it's my monitor but the right side seems a little hot. But again, that could be my monitor.
    Thanks, Tom. Right side of the sky is way hot. Is that what you're seeing? That was about the best I could control it being closer to the sun and all. Is that what you're seeing, or is the foreground hot too?
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    A lot of nice elements here but I find myself distracted by a fisheye effect that's happening in the foreground. My other nit would be that I would have preferred a little more breathing room just right of the sun.

Nice balancing on the exposure.
    edited August 2, 2010
    scole wrote: »
    A lot of nice elements here but I find myself distracted by a fisheye effect that's happening in the foreground. My other nit would be that I would have preferred a little more breathing room just right of the sun.

Nice balancing on the exposure.

Thanks, Steve. I'm really not seeing any fisheye in the foreground. headscratch.gif
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Could just be natural but if you follow the edge of the cliff in the FG, it takes on a u shape. It's most pronounced on the right side.
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Awesome shot. Pretty well controlled exposure I'd say for how bright that sun seems to be. Better than I could have done I'm guessing ;) I think the "fisheye" effect is just a function of the pano and the fact that the rocks curve up on either side. Either way, awesome image.
    edited August 2, 2010
    scole wrote: »
    Could just be natural but if you follow the edge of the cliff in the FG, it takes on a u shape. It's most pronounced on the right side.
    I believe that the terrain actually looked like that, but I wouldn't swear to it. It's a crazy undulating place where I was standing. Now I don't use a nodal slide and it's possible there is some foreground distortion, but it seems to me that the distortion would be centered, and not shifted to the right. But, I'm open to the possibility.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks, Tom. Right side of the sky is way hot. Is that what you're seeing? That was about the best I could control it being closer to the sun and all. Is that what you're seeing, or is the foreground hot too?

Yes, it's the sky not the foreground. The foreground is great.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Everything listed seems fine to me...ne_nau.gif

I do like the area of the sun blazed like that once in awhile...This image seems to call for it...

Timing of course is perfect....and the light is sweet.

Nodel slider may have made less distortion, but based on the nature of the FG who can really tell.... but I do see what Scole is say'n, but I think it's more natural than an abnormal parallax issue (but there is some)...
    I'm sure at 100% we would find more issues:D

my nit: black specks in the upper left corner....
    Aaron Nelson
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Sweet image Joel thumb.gif
    Randy
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    that's a keeper..very well done!

reagrding "fisheye" how does one notice distortion in shot that doesn't have any straight lines or "regular" shapes that we might discern as "distorted"?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited August 2, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »

reagrding "fisheye" how does one notice distortion in shot that doesn't have any straight lines or "regular" shapes that we might discern as "distorted"?

who are you asking? my thought is the term "fisheye" is being used loosely... I think the effect of the FG having the appearance as if we are looking straight down on it is the effect we are all talking about...
    how the FG merges together with stitching also gives a "look" when not using pano gear... so how you can tell here? I dont think anyone but the person looking at the orininal frames will see the distortion. But the effect is there and most people will not think twice about it...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Holy crap Joel! That's pretty stunning and I'm just gonna go sit in a corner now as I feel very untalented right now lol.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Joel, I love it! I think your right with the sun in the right like that you don't have much choice but to deal with some hot spots. Great capture.bowdown.gifbow
    edited August 3, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote: »
    Awesome shot. Pretty well controlled exposure I'd say for how bright that sun seems to be. Better than I could have done I'm guessing ;) I think the "fisheye" effect is just a function of the pano and the fact that the rocks curve up on either side. Either way, awesome image.

Thanks, Matt. thumb.gif
    Everything listed seems fine to me...ne_nau.gif

I do like the area of the sun blazed like that once in awhile...This image seems to call for it...

Timing of course is perfect....and the light is sweet.

Nodel slider may have made less distortion, but based on the nature of the FG who can really tell.... but I do see what Scole is say'n, but I think it's more natural than an abnormal parallax issue (but there is some)...
    I'm sure at 100% we would find more issues:D

my nit: black specks in the upper left corner....

Thanks, Aaron! I'll have you explain all that to me in person some time. rolleyes1.gif I'll go looking for those black specs now.
    rwells wrote: »
    Sweet image Joel thumb.gif
    Hi Randy. wave.gif Thanks for the compliment. thumb.gif
    Qarik wrote: »

Thanks so much, Qarik. I'm with you on the fish eye. It's extremely hard to tell.
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Holy crap Joel! That's pretty stunning and I'm just gonna go sit in a corner now as I feel very untalented right now lol.
    Hahaha, funny Natalie. Thanks, though. You've come a long way since joining this forum. We all have. thumb.gif
    bgarland wrote: »
    Joel, I love it! I think your right with the sun in the right like that you don't much choice but to deal some hot. Great capture.bowdown.gifbow
    Thank you so much, Bob! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    edited August 3, 2010

Thanks, Aaron! I'll have you explain all that to me in person some time. rolleyes1.gif I'll go looking for those black specs now.

Fall colors in Zion? (btw, I will buy a water filter before that trip, I will never carry water again:D)(well, if there is a river near by:D)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 3, 2010
    Fall colors in Zion? (btw, I will buy a water filter before that trip, I will never carry water again:D)(well, if there is a river near by:D)
    What, you don't hiking 10 miles up a mountain stream while carrying a gallon of drinking water? :D
    edited August 3, 2010
    trying to keep up with you? NO. :D
    Aaron Nelson
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Another wonderful shot Joel. bowdown.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    IMHO...I think it is a beautiful photo in every way!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Distorted or not, that is one wickedly awesome shot, Joel! thumb.gif

I agree with Aaron, that sun is blown out, but so what?! It looks "right." So just let it be blown out.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited August 3, 2010
    AndMan wrote: »
    Another wonderful shot Joel. bowdown.gif
    Thank you, Andy. bowdown.gif
    ront wrote: »
    IMHO...I think it is a beautiful photo in every way!!

Ron

Thanks, Ron! thumb.gif
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Distorted or not, that is one wickedly awesome shot, Joel! thumb.gif

I agree with Aaron, that sun is blown out, but so what?! It looks "right." So just let it be blown out.

Thanks, Chris. You guys were right, there are a few blown pixels there. Here it is without any blown pixels and indeed looks much better.

New
    957803844_SJ9tf-X2-1.jpg

Old for comparison
    955967974_3vUfa-X2-1.jpg

Thanks for the input! thumb.gif

-joel
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    I'm not sure I see all the "nits" described above. I do see some curve in the rocks but I thought it was just the rocks! I love this shot, Joel--great color contrast and the sun works well for me. Great texture in the rocks and a wonderful mood. Makes me want to sit and be quiet and just enjoy the view.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Oops -- I added my comment before seeing the revision. I do see the difference in the sun and must say I like the second one better, but not by much. I just think it's a wonderful shot either way! :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 7, 2010
    Thanks, Lauren. Much appreciated. thumb.gif

-joel
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Wow I like this A LOT! looks like your WB may be off just a bit in a couple photos on the sun side they are not quite as warm. Stunning image either way!
    edited August 7, 2010
    cj99si wrote: »
    Wow I like this A LOT! looks like your WB may be off just a bit in a couple photos on the sun side they are not quite as warm. Stunning image either way!

Thanks, CJ! 21 RAW frames in that shot, all batch processed at all phases with no chance of variability in white balance. I think what you must be seeing is a natural color gradient across the sky.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    Thanks, CJ! 21 RAW frames in that shot, all batch processed at all phases with no chance of variability in white balance. I think what you must be seeing is a natural color gradient across the sky.

Cheers,
    -joel

its in the rocks.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    Wow, so this is the photo god was talking about last night.
    Loved it mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery