Options

#56 attempt

ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
edited August 8, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I thought I would give the painting a go since I have never tried it. Difficult to say the least! Can't focus in the dark and flash triggering is interesting but...here it goes C&C welcome and appreciated!
958000984_Dmxg5-L.jpg
Amanda
It is never to late to become what you might have been.
www.behindthezoom.com

Comments

• Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    That's really interesting, and a little scary, with that red light behind the cow skull. It's the first really static light painting I've seen so far, so I'm sure you'll get questions on what precisely counts, but it's a neat concept and a great photo.

I'd be interested if you took any closer of the cow skull lit from the inside. That alone might be a simpler subject, there's a lot of stuff going on with the rest of the shed - things on the shelves inside, things hung on the outside, the road cone propping open the door... not that it all detracts, it's just slightly busy.
    edited August 4, 2010
    red_zone thanks for the comment! I think you are right on too busy and may try to reshoot cleaning that up/out. I tried the skull by itself and wasn't happy with it so went with the shed too-going for that scary creepy shed feel. I think this is painting with light but am interested in hearing other thoughts...
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    Well, ok, I went back in the Entry thread and there's some discussion of this, I think there was some discussion of painting a rock with petroglyphs with light - I'd look there for a full understanding, but this is from a little later:
    sherstone wrote: »
    It could be done either way.

Camera still, light moving.
    or
    Camera moving, Light Still

Both would create a light trail of some sort. In fact I have seen groups where the whole idea is to throw your camera in the air to achieve wild swirling effects. I certainly do not recommend throwing your camera around though! :yikes

So you've used light for a neat effect, but it seems like there needs to be some movement?
    edited August 4, 2010
    Thank you red_zone for looking back at the posts! I really liked a thread I saw awhile back- quoted below and thought of this challenge. But you are right - no movement so rethinking subject...
    Thanks for you help!

I've posted on here before, but I think it's time for a fresh post. It seems that "lightpainting" is growing these days, and I've been getting a few PM's on how I get some of my shots.

For those of you not familiar with the art of lightpainting, this is one example:

438170424_2eJwr-M-3.jpg

Yes, those colors were added while the shutter was open. And yes, the floor is a sheet of solid 3" thick ice.

Lightpainting is a very loosely used word. This is my interpretation of it.

I start out with a very dark area, sometimes the light of the moon can add a totally different effect to the shot like it did here

643289812_Movqy-M-2.jpg

but for the most part, I like it pitch back... it allows me to do so much more with the shot.

In the photos you see above, I had one of my lightpainting buddies help me out with the flashing. As they say, safety in numbers, so we pretty much go on every shoot together.

The tools of the trade are simple. A camera with a remote release, an off camera flash, some flashlights, and some colored theater gel. From there you can add to your collection. I personally use 4 off camera, remotely fired flash units that I can place anywhere that I don't want to stand... (like inside the engine of the train.) I also will only use a wide angle lens for these shots (Tokina 12-24mm) because it allows me to get that much closer to my subject while keeping it all in frame...

I was literally 2 feet from this car when this shot was taken....

646229161_MXTR8-M-1.jpg

Once you find a sutible subject, set up your camera, select full manual with bulb, open the shutter, and start lighting. I usally stick around the F4-F8 range, to let in the most light. My times range from 1 minute - 10 minutes.

If your camera comes equipped with long exposure noise reduction, make sure that is turned on... be advised, this will DOUBLE your processing time in the camera.

Experiment and have fun... it's awesome being out in the middle of the night, photographing things people would usually walk right past.

646236666_xJwpq-M-1.jpg

If you're interested in trying this, and have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am no real expert, but I can sure try to lend you a hand.

646233272_iToEj-M-1.jpg
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    TrulyAlaskanTrulyAlaskan Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    I thought I would give the painting a go since I have never tried it. Difficult to say the least! Can't focus in the dark and flash triggering is interesting but...here it goes C&C welcome and appreciated!
    958000984_Dmxg5-L.jpg

Hi Amanda!

Nice job on the barn! Focusing in the dark is one of the greatest challenges, I suggest a really good flashlight to shine where you want to focus, then set the lens to manual. I'd love to see more of your work.
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    I really love your barn! Awesome!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    Brett - Thanks for looking & commenting! I wandered your site and am in awe at your light painting! The casket in the old hearse was creepy WoW! and the train bowdown.gif I went out to my barn armed with your tips to give it a shot and had alot of fun. I am going to try some more with the barn - cleaning it up a bit and I have a few other ideas in mind. Thanks for posting the tips!

Kelly- Thanks for the comment

I went back over the posts for the challenge and think for the judges sake I might need to go in a different light painting direction so came up with this one last night - C&C welcome

959472178_pFdER-L.jpg
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    Brett - Thanks for looking & commenting! I wandered your site and am in awe at your light painting! The casket in the old hearse was creepy WoW! and the train bowdown.gif I went out to my barn armed with your tips to give it a shot and had alot of fun. I am going to try some more with the barn - cleaning it up a bit and I have a few other ideas in mind. Thanks for posting the tips!

Kelly- Thanks for the comment

I went back over the posts for the challenge and think for the judges sake I might need to go in a different light painting direction so came up with this one last night - C&C welcome

959472178_pFdER-L.jpg

Very nicely done! Makes me miss having a pool. Thanks for the compliments, the night we got the casket for the hearse was one of my favorite excursions. That hearse was a blast, and there are going to be a ton more shots taken this year from that place. You're lucky you can go out and take these kind of photos right now, up here it's still light until midnight, so we have a few more months until night photography season.

Keep posting photos, I'd love to see them!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    WOW! I really love that pool shot. It's a definite contender. Love the colors!
    edited August 5, 2010
    How did you do that? Laughing.gif I'm enjoying all the painting images, but would really like to know how to do light painting like that. thanks
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    How did you do that? Laughing.gif I'm enjoying all the painting images, but would really like to know how to do light painting like that. thanks

Jenn, here is one "how to". There are probably a lot more out there if you do a search.
    http://www.photosig.com/articles/1493/article
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    red_zone and Jenn thanks for looking & comments!

Jenn I had my camera on a tripod set for 30sec exposure. Our pool light has a color wheel so I let it run the colors till I found a blue I liked and stopped it on that color. The green light painting is -- ok do not laugh -- a little green light thing that replacates a star treck/star wars badge or something like that - it came out of a box of cereal. I only had one green and I wanted both trees to be green so I stood in front of the camera hit the release ran around pool to right drew a palm tree in the air and ran around to the other side doing the same thing...

I have never done any of this before and have to say it's been pretty fun!!
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    dnie wrote: »
    Jenn, here is one "how to". There are probably a lot more out there if you do a search.
    http://www.photosig.com/articles/1493/article
    rats ... I don't have a laser pointer or tripod.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    I managed to forget my tripod on a few photoshoots.... then a couple other times the tripod was frozen, so it couldn't be used (-40 does strange things to tripods)
    Use your camera bag as a makeshift tripod... flashlights will work instead of laserpointers
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010

Jenn I had my camera on a tripod set for 30sec exposure. Our pool light has a color wheel so I let it run the colors till I found a blue I liked and stopped it on that color. The green light painting is -- ok do not laugh -- a little green light thing that replacates a star treck/star wars badge or something like that - it came out of a box of cereal. I only had one green and I wanted both trees to be green so I stood in front of the camera hit the release ran around pool to right drew a palm tree in the air and ran around to the other side doing the same thing...

hmm I don't think I can set my camera to do a 30 sec exposure? <thumbs through camera book>
    I think I just found a setting I can do that with! woohoo
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    Jenn, use a chair or table for tripod and I also tried small flashlights and those freebie little keychain lights. I just happened to also have the green light thing...it is by no means a true laser pointer but a kids cereal toy!
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010

:) That sounds like fun. did you get that on the first try? if not, how many tries did it take?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    About 16 tries and worked up such a sweat running back and forth - at night here in Arizona it is still hot! Ended up jumping in the pool!!
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    hmm I don't think I can set my camera to do a 30 sec exposure? <thumbs through camera book>

according to the specs on your camera, your minimum shutter speed is 60 seconds... a full minute. (check your camera manual for "manual") That is plenty of time. The laser I have is a cat toy I bought at the dollar store for 2 or 3 dollars.

I found an even better how to that go step by step with out getting to technical.
    http://www.diyphotography.net/light-painting-primer
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    About 16 tries and worked up such a sweat running back and forth - at night here in Arizona it is still hot! Ended up jumping in the pool!!

:) wish I had a pool to jump in. I'm in North Texas and at 10 at night it is still real close to 100 lately, so I understand.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    Jenn, use a chair or table for tripod and I also tried small flashlights and those freebie little keychain lights. I just happened to also have the green light thing...it is by no means a true laser pointer but a kids cereal toy!

I have a small flashlight and taped over the brightest part to get a smaller light... trying to draw my name. I might try it later tonite to see if I can get something better. Thanks for the ideas!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    I have a small flashlight and taped over the brightest part to get a smaller light... trying to draw my name. I might try it later tonite to see if I can get something better. Thanks for the ideas!

I never thought to tape over part. Good idea. Let me know how it works out.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    dnie wrote: »
    I never thought to tape over part. Good idea. Let me know how it works out.
    It makes it look kind of like you're painting with a sharpie with a thick-tip.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    959472178_pFdER-S.jpg

clap.gifclapclap.gif

How many more trees do you think you could do if you re-shoot this?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    Brett- -40 ---the only pictures I would get that whole season would be of my electric blanket!!

Donna- I can understand the heat- southern AZ and 104 I think today

Jenn- have fun! glad you found something that you already had to try

Aaron- is that a math questionrolleyes1.gifLet's see if I went to bulb and could do 2 trees in 30 sec how many minutes would it take to line palms around the whole pool?? It would probaby still take at least 16 tries as I'll trip over the patio furniture and fountain a couple of times and mess up trying to remember where I drew the last "air palm"

Thanks to all for the comments!!!
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010

Aaron- is that a math questionrolleyes1.gifLet's see if I went to bulb and could do 2 trees in 30 sec how many minutes would it take to line palms around the whole pool?? It would probaby still take at least 16 tries as I'll trip over the patio furniture and fountain a couple of times and mess up trying to remember where I drew the last "air palm"

at least in a 2 minute expo there will be no evidence of the splash after you trip over the patio furniture....rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    Wonderful shot Amanda, a definite contender imho. clap.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    The pool shot is awesome - great idea & excellent execution. Makes me wish I was there lounging :)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    AndMan wrote: »
    Wonderful shot Amanda, a definite contender imho. clap.gif

+1...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    Peter, lkbart and John thanks for the comments!!
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com