Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #56 (Panning or Painting)

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Jag's examples are exactly what I'm thinking when I say painting with light. Jag the theme was "modify the light" if I remember correctly.
    is that yes ---or ----no camera still you move the light ?
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    jwear wrote: »
    is that yes ---or ----no camera still you move the light ?

It could be done either way.

Camera still, light moving.
    or
    Camera moving, Light Still

Both would create a light trail of some sort. In fact I have seen groups where the whole idea is to throw your camera in the air to achieve wild swirling effects. I certainly do not recommend throwing your camera around though! :yikes
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Panning is moving the camera with the subject under slow shutter speed, like in this image:
    605400764_vss2Q-M.jpg

This is not panning, with the camera fixed on a subject while set at a slow shutter speed:
    931562006_j6sSK-M.jpg

While anyone can enter either without disqualification, I would expect the judges to discount entries like the second example (but realize that they aren't required too!)

(For stretching purposes I really hope I come up with an idea on painting, as I've never tried any of that before!)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    HoofClix wrote: »
    Panning is moving the camera with the subject under slow shutter speed, like in this image:
    605400764_vss2Q-200x200.jpg

This is not panning, with the camera fixed on a subject while set at a slow shutter speed:
    931562006_j6sSK-200x200.jpg

While anyone can enter either without disqualification, I would expect the judges to discount entries like the second example (but realize that they aren't required too!)

(For stretching purposes I really hope I come up with an idea on painting, as I've never tried any of that before!)

Two very nice images! I really like the museum shot.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Froch wrote: »
    Two very nice images! I really like the museum shot.
    Thanks! On that museum shot, at the Art Institute Chicago, I was interested in that section on India, but I was noticing how the exhibit, in a sort of corridor between two other sections, no one seemed to be stopping to look at anything at all. I wanted to display that sense in my shot. I was hand-holding at 1/4 second while pressing the camera up against the display case to get some stability. Then a guard noticed how I was doing it and told me to stop!

But I do intend to try something on the painting side of this challenge, as I've never done any of that at all..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    it's funny, I had just tried a light painting, as I was reading DaveBlackwells book on sports photog. He has a small section on the process.
    I tried a few things around my place. the light quality is very, very cool.
    I'd love to do something on a grand scale (ie illuminating some huge rock outcropping) but doubtful I'll have time. I have a fun idea for panning that I can only hope I find time to do and more hope that it will come out like I hope.
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    My first-ever entry.. I hope it's ok.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    misterb wrote: »
    My first-ever entry.. I hope it's ok.

Hi, misterb. Welcome! Cool photo. clap.gif

Unfortunately, the EXIF indicates that your picture was taken in 2006. :cry This challenge requires fresh photos. Go out and get another one and enter it!
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Hi, misterb. Welcome! Cool photo. clap.gif

Unfortunately, the EXIF indicates that your picture was taken in 2006. :cry This challenge requires fresh photos. Go out and get another one and enter it!

Ahhhhh OK- thanks for the heads up!

Tried to delete the photo but that option wasn't available.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    misterb wrote: »
    Tried to delete the photo but that option wasn't available.

If you want your photo deleted just change the caption to PLEASE DELETE.
    Every couple days I go in and clean up the gallery. :D
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    I took a number of photos for this round on a merry-go-round & don't want to enter a photo that will be automatically disqualified.
    This comment was made (I'd link to it if I knew how - figured this out finally!!!):
    AndMan wrote: »
    Nice shots with some great background blur.
    Hate to nitpick but I'm not sure these necessarily meet the definition of panning since it appears that the camera was in the centre of the merry-go-round and therefore the camera and the subject are totally static in relation to each other and the appearance of movement is created by the merry-go-round turning about the axis on which the camera is placed. Just my .02
    If it makes a difference, I was at the other edge of the merry-go-round & not in the center, as I don't have a lens that is wide enough to shoot from the center, but for most of the shots, I was on the merry-go-round (& got way dizzier than the dancer did!). I would like clarification if this technique is allowed or not. Thanks!! Lillian :)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2010
    lkbart wrote: »
    I took a number of photos for this round on a merry-go-round & don't want to enter a photo that will be automatically disqualified.
    This comment was made (I'd link to it if I knew how - figured this out finally!!!):

If it makes a difference, I was at the other edge of the merry-go-round & not in the center, as I don't have a lens that is wide enough to shoot from the center, but for most of the shots, I was on the merry-go-round (& got way dizzier than the dancer did!). I would like clarification if this technique is allowed or not. Thanks!! Lillian :)

My personal take on this is you used your imagination and that's awesome! I won't be disqualifying your image as long as it meets all the other Exif requirements. DSS is designed to try and push this type of creative thinking, thanks for asking.

PS. Just because I like your idea does not mean the judges for this round will, but that is the chance you take with any image.;)
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    My personal take on this is you used your imagination and that's awesome! I won't be disqualifying your image as long as it meets all the other Exif requirements. DSS is designed to try and push this type of creative thinking, thanks for asking.

PS. Just because I like your idea does not mean the judges for this round will, but that is the chance you take with any image.;)

Thanks for the clarification - & I completely understand about the judges & agree about the chance taken. But if we all looked at everything in the same way, it would all get BORING, so we should be thankful for the wide range of opinions & tastes - even those that contradict our own!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Camera Still...Light Moving
    I have submitted an image where I had the camera locked down and the shutter speed lowered...and then had good old Mother Nature move the light source for me....hopefully this still counts as painting with light?
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • Options
    bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Camera Still...Light Moving
    I have submitted an image where I had the camera locked down and the shutter speed lowered...and then had good old Mother Nature move the light source for me....hopefully this still counts as painting with light?
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote: »

SWEET x2

Thanks Kerry!
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010

You could have boasted that you rotated the planet mwink.gif

Superman did it. :haha

EDIT - er now that I look at it I my guess was totally off the mark.
    Nice imaginative idea. GL
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Ben Willmore: Lightpainting Genius. http://www.thebestofben.com/ He has a dedicated lightpainting gallery in the galleries section.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote: »
    Ben Willmore: Lightpainting Genius. http://www.thebestofben.com/ He has a dedicated lightpainting gallery in the galleries section.
    Incredible! thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Wow - very impressive, but more processing going on than just light painting. Fantastic images!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Just thought I'd drop in to thank Sean for the subject. It's given me a reason to practice a technique I know I'll find very useful in the future.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    Hello,
    I have a problem. I took my entry shot today, but the date taken is not there ne_nau.gif. It's my first time entering the challenges since getting LR3.
    It shows date modified as today, but the date taken is missing.

Any clues?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    Hello,
    I have a problem. I took my entry shot today, but the date taken is not there ne_nau.gif. It's my first time entering the challenges since getting LR3.

Any clues?
    I had no problem with that and my my entry to 55 at http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Dgrin-Challenges/Dgrin-Sharp-Shooters-Entries/DSS-55/12899724_wncLK#945212763_WTHRP done in LR3.0

Seems rather odd.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    Hello,

Any clues?

It may be that your settings in LR3 are giving you a reduced EXIF or maybe set to none. In the Import window on the right side you will see an "Apply during Import" menu if Metadata is set to none that may be your problem. Alternatively make sure the Metadata section on the export window does not have "Minimize embedded Metadata" checked.

If none of these suggestions help, then at the minimum just upload the original .jpg file with intact EXIF info to another gallery and link to that instead.

Let us know how things go for you.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Just thought I'd drop in to thank Sean for the subject. It's given me a reason to practice a technique I know I'll find very useful in the future.

Thank you for letting me know :D
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    OK--I'm out of time.
    Can't figure it out.
    I actually downloaded the photos again from my camera directly to the Olympus program instead of LR3. I was going to show that EXIF, but now the date taken is 12/12/09 ne_nau.gif. I can't explain it.

Here is the link to the dragonboat show with dates, just so there is no doubt that this photo was taken within the challenge times. I know it will be DQ'd and I'm ok with that, I just wanted to show it.
    http://www.hkdbf-ny.org/

Thanks guys--now chores.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    sorry Liz - I am out of ideas.

Several entries this round seem to be missing the date taken part of EXIF. Everyone please check your upload before 8 am tomorrow. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Sean, there seems to be an issue with my submission. It's not visible unless logged in as "challenges". I've sent a PM to you.