Options

Very frustrated

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Oh, that's disappointing about the DO. Well, you'd be hard-pressed to see any difference between your 100-400 and the 400 F5.6 at any aperture other than wide open. (I say your 100-400 because evidently you have a good one, as do I.) Wide open, the F5.6 lens wins, but not by a huge margin. I hardly ever used my 400 F5.6 as a result, so I sold it. Or I should say I traded it up for the 500mm. mwink.gif

Thanks for the heads up, Joel. :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 26, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Ric, why would you be interested in the 400 F5.6 when you have the 400 F4 DO? Too big? Remember, the 400 F5.6 doesn't even have IS. I would think the DO would be perfect being F4 and all. Too big?

While the 400 DO has its detractors, it also has a few enthusiasts as well. Like me.

Mine is about 5 years old, and compares very favorably with my 300 f2.8 IS L, but a lot lighter to carry.

My 100-400 ( which I took to Alaska recently ) does not come close to my 400 DO, Joel. Ric and I, apparently, have differing opinions ( and maybe just different specimens of Canon's variation ).

I recently micro-adjusted my 100-400 for my 7D, and found it is better with a -17 adjustment. We'll see how those files from Alaska look in a few weeks.

Here is a file from my 5D and a 400DO.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    The only advice I can give you on those images (first and second set) is to make sure that you have good seperation of the subject and the background. Also the first set looks like they just need a little warmth. I would suggest to you that you look at Scott Kelbys 7 steps book. He does some pretty awesome stuff. Also when it comes to sharpening keep in mind the more sharpening you throw at the worse its going to look in my opinion. Other then that I think the second set looks really good and I love it! Check out some of the shots I have on my facebook and see if you like them!