S95 arrived

2»

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Beautiful, David! The HDR looks so crisp and clean. If the sx130 doesn't work out for me (still not here yet... :cry), I'm just going to (somehow) find the extra for the s95. I will say one of the appeals of the sx130 is that it also has the tilt-shift/mini mode - I love the effect for fun, although can't justify a TS lens in my life so this seemed like an easy way to play with it.
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    dtw78 wrote: »
    Here is an HDR shot from the s95 with the Saturation boosted a bit in PS.

1091814504_MXDMz-L.jpg

By the way, the post below is Central Park in NYC if anybody was wondering
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
    edited November 15, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Beautiful, David! The HDR looks so crisp and clean. If the sx130 doesn't work out for me (still not here yet... :cry), I'm just going to (somehow) find the extra for the s95. I will say one of the appeals of the sx130 is that it also has the tilt-shift/mini mode - I love the effect for fun, although can't justify a TS lens in my life so this seemed like an easy way to play with it.

the S95 has faux tilt shift/mini mode as well
    My Website
    edited November 15, 2010
    dtw78 wrote: »
    the S95 has faux tilt shift/mini mode as well

Oh, I know it does - it's one of the appeals of it for me. But $ can't quiiittee stretch to the extra $200, so I wanted to try the sx130 (which has mini mode and a fisheye effect which could be fun too) first thumb.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Really nice HDR David. Is your HDR one that was done in camera or by bracketing shots. I think you are saying in camera. This is the best in camera HDR that I have seen taken with the s95.

I had the s90 and sold it it to get the s95. I really like the s95!!

Thanks, Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Oh, I know it does - it's one of the appeals of it for me. But $ can't quiiittee stretch to the extra $200, so I wanted to try the sx130 (which has mini mode and a fisheye effect which could be fun too) first thumb.gif

I haven't tried out the fake mini mode yet in my G12, but I've see a picture from someone else that did. I wasn't impressed. You specify a box where everything is in focus, and then it blurs everything outside the box. Problem is, it doesn't gradually do it. The transition is sudden (at least in the shot I saw).

You can do this same effect better in photoshop.
    - Bill
    edited November 16, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Really nice HDR David. Is your HDR one that was done in camera or by bracketing shots. I think you are saying in camera. This is the best in camera HDR that I have seen taken with the s95.

I had the s90 and sold it it to get the s95. I really like the s95!!

Thanks, Ron

Thanks, this was done in camera. I put it on a wall and put the timer on for 3 seconds so that it didn't shake.
    My Website
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited December 1, 2010
    It has arrived. ylsuper.gif Playing with menu settings right now. Wheeeeee! This thing is sooooo small.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,064 moderator
    edited December 1, 2010
    David_S85 wrote: »
    It has arrived. ylsuper.gif Playing with menu settings right now. Wheeeeee! This thing is sooooo small.

Congratulations on the (tiny) new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 16, 2011
    I installed the new Franiec grip on our S95 today - the one that Richard Franiec sells. This $32.95 accessory for the S90/S95 is applied with a very powerful adhesive and enhances one's ability to hold the teeny and flat body of this camera. I'd have to say that holding the camera now is made easier by a whole bunch. Thanks, Richard, for marketing such a useful camera accessory! thumb.gif

Shipping took only two days. DPReview added this grip to their S90 review more than a year ago. More info about the grip is at Richard's site here.
    My Smugmug
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    For me the S95 works just fine without the grip. Didn't they change the surface from the S90 to the S95 to adress the slippyness of the S90?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited February 16, 2011
    They did. But with also using full sized dSLR's all the time, the S95 felt like holding a small box of matches. The grip really helps.
    My Smugmug
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    It's YOUR FAULT!
    Thank you for the enthusiastic endorsement of this camera model. I've been reading reviews and researching P&S cameras because there a many times when it would be good to have a camera handy - but I don't want to lug the full DSLR gear along. The S95 was on my short list.

Two years ago at the DGrin Shootout in Maine, Marc Meunch mentioned that he had the S90 and loved it.

Now...

Thanks to all of you, I'm now poorer by several hundred dollars and the camera is on its way.ne_nau.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited February 17, 2011
    You'll love it once you tame its menus and make it your own. It has one custom mode on the dial in case you share the cam with someone else. That said, I'd rather have a G12, but that's twice as big again as the S series, and the S95 is the same inside as the G. If it didn't shoot RAW I would have looked elsewhere. DO place that lanyard thing on the camera and around your wrist when shooting because the S bodies like to squirm right out of your hand.
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Thank you for the enthusiastic endorsement of this camera model. I've been reading reviews and researching P&S cameras because there a many times when it would be good to have a camera handy - but I don't want to lug the full DSLR gear along. The S95 was on my short list.
    Two years ago at the DGrin Shootout in Maine, Marc Meunch mentioned that he had the S90 and loved it.
    Now...
    Thanks to all of you, I'm now poorer by several hundred dollars and the camera is on its way.ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
    edited February 17, 2011
    You'll love it once you tame its menus and make it your own. It has one custom mode on the dial in case you share the cam with someone else. That said, I'd rather have a G12, but that's twice as big again as the S series, and the S95 is the same inside as the G. If it didn't shoot RAW I would have looked elsewhere. DO place that lanyard thing on the camera and around your wrist when shooting because the S bodies like to squirm right out of your hand.

Thanks. I'll keep those things in mind when it gets here.:D
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited February 18, 2011
    I mentioned it in the other thread(s), but I've been superhappy with this case. It adds just enough size to aid grippability but without bulking it up too much, controls remain easy access, and I think it offers decent protection. For under $10 I couldn't be happier with it.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    I mentioned it in the other thread(s), but I've been superhappy with this case. It adds just enough size to aid grippability but without bulking it up too much, controls remain easy access, and I think it offers decent protection. For under $10 I couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks, Mum! I'm gonna give that thing a shot. (so to speak lol3.gif )
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    i got my hands on another s95, such a great camera. i wish the miniature mode in video recorded at normal speed though.
    edited February 22, 2011
    It's HERE!
    My S95 arrived in the mail this a.m. Charging the battery and waiting to play a bit. It feels so LIGHT after my 1DMKIV.

Hubby says, "What do you need a little camera like that for? Yours does everything and more, right?"

How can I explain why we all need 2, 3, 4 or more cameras for different reasons?

Can't wait to try it out. Now I'll have no excuse because I can ALWAYS have a camera with me. It will take a while to get used to no viewfinder though.

Can't BELIEVE the 195 page instruction book on the CD. This ain't my grandma's point and shoot.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited February 22, 2011
    I'm finding fully charged batteries last about 20 minutes. I have turned sounds and splash screen off, and kept review time to 4 seconds or less, and have the camera "sleep" in a minute or less. Still, the batteries last about 20 minutes of use. Very frustrating. I have two batteries - one of them was an off-brand I got through B&H.
    My Smugmug
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I'm finding fully charged batteries last about 20 minutes. I have turned sounds and splash screen off, and kept review time to 4 seconds or less, and have the camera "sleep" in a minute or less. Still, the batteries last about 20 minutes of use. Very frustrating. I have two batteries - one of them was an off-brand I got through B&H.

One of them? You're using two different kinds of batteries? Keep doing that and you'll kill your camera in no time... big no no in electronics!
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    One of them? You're using two different kinds of batteries? Keep doing that and you'll kill your camera in no time... big no no in electronics!

Why so? unless a battery is faulty of course headscratch.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011

The camera only takes one battery at a time.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Ohhhhh okay! :D

Haha, sorry! Some reason I had point and shoots with AAs in my mind.
    edited February 22, 2011
    My point was that if you go out shooting for a while, you'd better take an extra battery (or more) along for the ride. With the current dSLR's I'm used to, a single battery going 500 shots or more, including chimping time, is normal. Chimp with the S95 and you had better have a back up plan for power. I have my likes and dislikes with the '95, but power consumption is tops on my dislike list.
    My Smugmug
    edited February 23, 2011
    My batteries (one oem, one not) have been lasting much longer than that - I was shooting raw+jpg in Scotland and each battery was comfortably lasting a full day of moderate-to-heavy shooting (200+ shots) without running out, and several days if I just took a few snaps.
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011

Sounds like you have either a defective battery or camera. My original battery lasted for about 120 photos & 30 videos before it went dead. I can't comment on your non-OEM battery but I purchased a Canon spare & it gives me approximately the same level of performance.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook