hurricane katrina donations to be matched by smugmug

AndyAndy BicameralNew YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
edited September 13, 2005 in The Big Picture
today i asked baldy and onethumb something very very important, and they agreed:

smugmug will match dgrinner's donations to hurricane katrina disaster relief.

here's how it'll work: you make your own donation to the charity of your choice -- the only stipulation is that the donation must go to hurricane katrina disaster relief.

you'll email to me (awilliamsny at yahoo dot com) with evidence of your donation, a copy of receipt, edit out personal info if you need to, that will be fine. i will tally up the donation amounts and report back to baldy and onethumb, and they will write a check equal to the amount that we've come up with.

your donation amount, personal information, and email address will always be private, nobody will ever know it except me, and i'm a vault.

you may post your donation amount here in this thread if you like, or you may choose to keep it private - it's your choice. but no matter what - please please please make a donation. no amount is too small - if you can afford a digital camera you can afford a donation - give what you can - nobody's going to question you or comment one way or another.

here are some organizations that are accepting cash donations:

the american red cross

the salvation army

baldy, onethumb and everyone at smugmug: this is incredibly generous, and i'm going to do my darndest to get as many donations as possible!
«1

Comments

  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    i will get the ball rolling with $500 donated to the red cross.


    TOTAL DGRIN DONATIONS THUS FAR:

    $5,650
  • AngeloAngelo Turning frowns upsidedown Posts: 8,937Super Moderators moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    good onya Andy - yesterday I started a relief fund drive at my company's 9 locations and the owner has pledged matching funds for employee contributions. we're anticipating a $30,000+ contribution

    my personal pledge, tied to blood donations by employee volunteers is $500
  • ChrisJChrisJ Major grins Posts: 2,159Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    If someone is awake out there that can turn on Andy's e-mail link (or give an alternate), that would be helpful! :D

    Definitely Cheers to Smugmug for their generosity! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Chris
  • BaldyBaldy SmugMug co-founder Posts: 2,853Administrators moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    If someone is awake out there that can turn on Andy's e-mail link (or give an alternate), that would be helpful! :D
    Should be fixed.
  • colourboxcolourbox Major grins Posts: 2,088Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Tip - Just found out on a Mac site that if you have an account at the iTunes Music Store, you can donate to the Red Cross instantly through a button on iTunes. It's much easier and faster than filling out forms on a web page or waiting on the phone.

    I just donated there, before I even saw this thread.
  • James SJames S Click....Click....BOOM!!! Posts: 439Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Andy,

    When I donate my profits from the sale of my prints can I upload that amount to you to count as well?
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    i put my email in the first post.

    here too: it's awilliamsny at yahoo dot com

    thanks
  • lynnmalynnma Moddess Emeritus Homosassa, Florida (Paradise)Posts: 5,163Registered Users, Retired Mod
    edited September 2, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    i put my email in the first post.

    here too: it's awilliamsny at yahoo dot com

    thanks
    Andy thats a wonderful thing to do.. the situation is beyond belief and seems to be getting worse by the hour. I have already made my contribution but may make another just to support Smugmugs efforts.. thank you Andy.clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Andy thats a wonderful thing to do.. the situation is beyond belief and seems to be getting worse by the hour. I have already made my contribution but may make another just to support Smugmugs efforts.. thank you Andy.clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

    your old, and new, contributions are welcome towards this campaign. many dgrinners donated i'm sure, starting on monday this week.

    send me a note with the amounts :D
  • lynnmalynnma Moddess Emeritus Homosassa, Florida (Paradise)Posts: 5,163Registered Users, Retired Mod
    edited September 2, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    your old, and new, contributions are welcome towards this campaign. many dgrinners donated i'm sure, starting on monday this week.

    send me a note with the amounts :D
    will do sweetie..
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Posts: 21,313Administrators moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    Andy,

    This is great news.

    Do check with your employer. Mine is matching as well.

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 19,160Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    My work donated $10,000 on behalf of its employees. Does that count? ;)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    i'll track the donation total in the 2nd post in this thread. up to $750 now :D
  • lynnmalynnma Moddess Emeritus Homosassa, Florida (Paradise)Posts: 5,163Registered Users, Retired Mod
    edited September 2, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    i'll track the donation total in the 2nd post in this thread. up to $750 now :D
    bumping this thread up to the top..thumb.gif 1drink.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    just got notice of another $500 donation! clap.gif clap.gif
  • AnsonAnson Major grins Posts: 207Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    CNN interview is a MUST listen!
    Every one needs to hear this!

    Most outrageous item you have ever listened to - PERIOD!

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.nagin/index.html

    Listen to this interview and pass it on to every darn last person you know!

    P.S. Andy, a segment of our business relates to (world) relief. We are working with Feed The Children and getting the highest quality food to the Katrina relief effort. ASAP. We were the fifth largest contributor to the Tsunami Relief effort.

    There is currently no better method to gaurantee that one's donations get to Katrina's needy in the form of highest quality food/nutrition than
    http://www.youcan2.com/nourishthechildren
  • gusgus Major grins Posts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Done mate.

    Come on 0zzies...all you need is this link & your visa.
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    found another $50 bucks!
  • gusgus Major grins Posts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Anson wrote:
    Every one needs to hear this!

    Most outrageous item you have ever listened to - PERIOD!

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.nagin/index.html

    Listen to this interview and pass it on to every darn last person you know!

    P.S. Andy, a segment of our business relates to (world) relief. We are working with Feed The Children and getting the highest quality food to the Katrina relief effort. ASAP. We were the fifth largest contributor to the Tsunami Relief effort.

    There is currently no better method to gaurantee that one's donations get to Katrina's needy in the form of highest quality food/nutrition than
    http://www.youcan2.com/nourishthechildren
    I hadnt seen that link.Thats speaking from the hip.Its easy to sit here thousands of miles from the disaster & listen to him speak...

    A cameraman got to some 0zzies caught up in it (why they didnt leave prior i dont know) & they said the police were smashing doors into shops for them & asking them to take what they need for survival.

    It is scary to think of the drug addicts going cold turkey in this situation.
  • gluwatergluwater SmugMug Technical Account Manager Posts: 3,599Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    You can add another $100. Email sent to ya Andy. This is the least I could do.

    Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    another $100 just came in deal.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Moddess Emeritus Homosassa, Florida (Paradise)Posts: 5,163Registered Users, Retired Mod
    edited September 2, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    another $100 just came in deal.gif
    clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif 1drink.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    $50 more just came
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Posts: 15,471Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    This is an excellent gesture. clap.gif Congratulations Baldy and Smugmug.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    sister forum www.advrider.com has amassed a huge donation amount. clap.gif clap.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    just got a single $1000 donation from a dgrinner!

    clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
  • gusgus Major grins Posts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Ok...who here has got..

    ...$50 worth of free advice in this forum that you would normally have got from a shop on buying gear & been ripped off a further 50 ?

    ... $50 worth of laughs watching the 'Andy/windoze' glass trading episodes that could easily rival Caligula on crack ?

    ...$50 value from the great work that SmugMug has done to help so many ?


    Hell even $20 or $10 worth will do just fine.

    thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok...who here has got..

    ...$50 worth of free advice in this forum that you would normally have got from a shop on buying gear & been ripped off a further 50 ?

    ... $50 worth of laughs watching the 'Andy/windoze' glass trading episodes that could easily rival Caligula on crack ?

    ...$50 value from the great work that SmugMug has done to help so many ?


    Hell even $20 or $10 worth will do just fine.

    thumb.gif

    'gus got me thinking - i can do more, and so i am. please visit this thread in the flea market, i'll be donating 100% of proceeds to katrina disaster relief.

    thanks mate!
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    $100
    $50

    donations just received and recorded.

    clap.gif clap.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,151Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    folks, between dgrin and advrider, we are into the five figures collected in just about 10 hours.

    we can do more - let's go for the tip jar, cookie jar, coffee fund, at smugmug hq!

    clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.