Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #63 (Open study) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited November 16, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #63

Welcome to Round #63 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, November 1, 7:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, November 15, 7:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

This round is theme-free: Open study
Be free, open yourself up, don't worry about a theme, just produce a great photograph. Make the theme fit the photograph, not the photograph fit the theme.

Either go out for the next two weeks and shoot your best shot or pick any theme that you have always wanted to shoot. The choice is yours this time around.

There are no editing restrictions in this round

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some recent modifications

Comments

• Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Looks awesome :D Thank you for making it happen.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I have to admit...this is the simplest Challenge yet~Clear, concise, simple~

thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I love the idea, but an daunted by the endless possibilities. I think I'll pick a new skill to practice and go from there!

Nice idea Allen.
    Nice execution of the idea Sean.

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    This should be fun! I've been busy and missed the whole conversation in the general discussion, so I had a nice surprise when I saw the theme, or non-theme I should say. It's a nice change and I have ideas going already. I don't feel like I have a chance in the world on this one, but that doesn't matter in the least to me. How fun to try!
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Well I feel like Olive Oyl "Ohh Ohh".

I'll figure it out.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    So many themes so little time. Sounds like a good time. Now to settle on something good.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Thanks a million Seaniloveyou.gif

This has to be the hardest challenge to date! Open challenges mean that I'll be debating with myself for 13.5 days about what I should shoot and then I'll realize it's too late, go out and shoot a cup of coffee and a donut and pray that everyone else forgot to enter the competition :bash

Now where did I leave that hedgehog? :twitch
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    I love shots of donuts and coffee!
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    pemmett wrote: »
    Thanks a million Seaniloveyou.gif

This has to be the hardest challenge to date! Open challenges mean that I'll be debating with myself for 13.5 days about what I should shoot and then I'll realize it's too late, go out and shoot a cup of coffee and a donut and pray that everyone else forgot to enter the competition :bash

Now where did I leave that hedgehog? :twitch
    This one?
    http://distillery.s3.amazonaws.com/media/2010/10/28/de56bd2efdf044f095d14fef73b6f6d9_7.jpg

:Drolleyes1.gifrofl

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 3, 2010
    ok, so Ihave taken-a break from the Challenges for two sessions now. (not that it. made a difference anyone). This one is just to good to sit out. Problem is that I have-torn all the ligaments in my right thumb an Iamnow sporting a baby blue cast that keeps my thumb in a hitchhiker position. It will be interesting trying to have flex ability while holding a D 300 and pushing the shutter.
    I will probably use a monopod or tripod, depending on what I shoot. Happy Shooting!
    ps. Please excuse the odd text and breaks. I am using my wacom tablet and pen to write with and the program makes it difficulty, to make changes, If it reads something I wrote wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2010
    JAG wrote: »
    ok, so Ihave taken-a break from the Challenges for two sessions now. (not that it. made a difference anyone). This one is just to good to sit out. Problem is that I have-torn all the ligaments in my right thumb an Iamnow sporting a baby blue cast that keeps my thumb in a hitchhiker position. It will be interesting trying to have flex ability while holding a D 300 and pushing the shutter.
    I will probably use a monopod or tripod, depending on what I shoot. Happy Shooting!
    ps. Please excuse the odd text and breaks. I am using my wacom tablet and pen to write with and the program makes it difficulty, to make changes, If it reads something I wrote wrong.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Joyce. Hope you can get back to doing what you love doing best soon.
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Wishing you a speedy recovery, Joyce. Hope you can get back to doing what you love doing best soon.

X2thumb.gif I appreciated you taking time to critique my entries!
    tom wise
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    I have a few projects coming up, this is a motivation to pull it all together.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Problem is that I have-torn all the ligaments in my right thumb an Iamnow sporting a baby blue cast that keeps my thumb in a hitchhiker position.

:yikes Here's hoping you heal quickly. :smo

I tweaked my back this week. I thought I might not be able to get out of bed this morning. AACK! But I did and put in a full day working from home. :D

And I managed to get out yesterday on one of our few sunny days and do some shooting. Woohoo!
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    ok, so Ihave taken-a break from the Challenges for two sessions now. (not that it. made a difference anyone). This one is just to good to sit out. Problem is that I have-torn all the ligaments in my right thumb an Iamnow sporting a baby blue cast that keeps my thumb in a hitchhiker position.
    Get well soon, Jag! My husband got sick last Friday and ended up in the Emergency room, which, got him admitted for the weekend. He's better now, but it sure does stir things up in your life when things like that happens. I've been taking some photos, but haven't found a 'best' photo just yet to enter.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Sean .. is there something wrong with this link? I've tried several times to go there and the page won't open.

thanks.....
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    headscratch.gif works fine here. It must be working for others as well since there are several entries already.
    Did you try clearing your browsers cache?
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    headscratch.gif works fine here. It must be working for others as well since there are several entries already.
    Did you try clearing your browsers cache?

I tried it again and it's working now. Maybe it was just a hiccup in my internet or something. thanks! :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Ok, mine is in, it was my first High-Key portrait, so there goes nothing! Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    Ok, mine is in, it was my first High-Key portrait, so there goes nothing! Laughing.gif

You have to make sure that your username exactly matches your dgrin username or your entry will be disqualified. Change Simpson Brothers Photography to SimpsonBrothers.
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    You have to make sure that your username exactly matches your dgrin username or your entry will be disqualified. Change Simpson Brothers Photography to SimpsonBrothers.
    Thanks, fixed.
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    This is rediculous! Open study and I am totally stumped! ne_nau.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    MrsCue wrote: »
    This is rediculous! Open study and I am totally stumped! ne_nau.gif

Sorry about that. :cry Your theme for the day is "Open" or "Not Open" :D:bday

Now go shoot something. 9496500-Ti.gif

Get those creative juices flowing. beer.gif

I know you'll come up with something good. drums.gif
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2010
    You're not much help!!! Open or not open?! rolleyes1.gif
    Happy Birthday? lol

I'm using all my creative juices up right now on a fancy dress costume for my son! :D
    Go shoot something? Hmmm we could have something here thumb.gif

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    Glad to be of service. :D
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2010
    My one and only idea changed his mind. Now I have nothing.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    My one and only idea changed his mind. Now I have nothing.

"nothing" is something you could shoot.... yes I'm serious. I absolutely love minimalistic well thought out simple images. For example abstract layers of color in a mist or fog = nothing.

Not really literal but even "nothing" can be a theme mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2010
    "nothing" is something you could shoot.... yes I'm serious. I absolutely love minimalistic well thought out simple images. For example abstract layers of color in a mist or fog = nothing.

Not really literal but even "nothing" can be a theme mwink.gif

I've been wracking my brains! I tried a few things, but no luck.eek7.gif
    SandiZ
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    ...but even "nothing" can be a theme mwink.gif

Is that a hint at the next theme?! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    I'm sympathizing with all of you with nothing! I've been shooting sports all week and nothing has materialized for this challenge!

I'm shooting the dress rehearsal of a play tonight...perhaps a flash of light will get my brain going!

Who thought 'open' could be so tough!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.