• Letterpress
• Personalized packaging material

How do prettynize your product?

Anything goes. Any takers? :D :lynnma

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Well, since you started this thread, you better share your pics of your rumored new CD thingies.cheerleader.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Well, since you started this thread, you better share your pics of your rumored new CD thingies.cheerleader.gif
    Haha. I am going to post mine a bit later ... I am a one-handed momma right now. But will definitely take some photos and share :D Iffffff you guys do the same :D
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Wait a second, this takes work!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Does angry birds +iPad count? Hold that thought....
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    And .. since I ran out of batteries..

I printed about 50 of these for Dave&Danielle's wedding. 5x7 Art Pearl and printed on both sides and I left the wedding with only 2 left over. Hopefully that works out to my favor. Or they could have a really nice image of the two on really great paper!

Well, technically, I only put 48 on the table. I put two cards around Princeton. haha!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    And .. since I ran out of batteries..

I printed about 50 of these for Dave&Danielle's wedding. 5x7 Art Pearl and printed on both sides and I left the wedding with only 2 left over. Hopefully that works out to my favor. Or they could have a really nice image of the two on really great paper!

Well, technically, I only put 48 on the table. I put two cards around Princeton. haha!

Great idea Ted! Looks like your strategy worked out! I bet they will all keep the card! clap.gif (if I may ask ... how much did you invest for those 50 cards?)
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    Well it was $23.65 per pack of 25. So uhm... about $50 smacks!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Ooh! Ooh! I just re-branded! Perfect timing, Angie. :) I'll be sure to get some images posted here soon...
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    Ooh! Ooh! I just re-branded! Perfect timing, Angie. :) I'll be sure to get some images posted here soon...

:Dthumb.gif
    Well it was $23.65 per pack of 25. So uhm... about $50 smacks!

WHCC?
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    :Dthumb.gif

WHCC?

Yup!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    Ok, here it is:

Card front:
    1085099138_b2Thh-M.jpg

Card back:
    1085098711_wgatJ-M.jpg

Blog banner:
    1085098901_QNH69-L.jpg

The flower is craspedia. Cards were printed on the art recycled paper from WHCC.

I intentionally didn't lean the branding toward any specific area of photography as I'm still working all of those things out for myself. I'm hoping to appeal to the folks out there that go for the simple, fresh, and natural.
    Webpage

• Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    kinkajou wrote: »
    ok, here it is:

Card front:

Card back:

Blog banner:

The flower is craspedia. Cards were printed on the art recycled paper from whcc.

I intentionally didn't lean the branding toward any specific area of photography as i'm still working all of those things out for myself. I'm hoping to appeal to the folks out there that go for the simple, fresh, and natural.

l-o-v-e i-t!!
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    l-o-v-e i-t!!

meeee tooo! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    l-o-v-e i-t!!

Oh p.s. Get yourself a different email address @k...photo.com will look nicer thumb.gif (sorry didnt want to spell it out as I don't want your customers to read all of our thoughts about it thumb.gif Btw, always meant to ask you, are you / or your hubbers Polish?
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    Oh p.s. Get yourself a different email address @k...photo.com will look nicer thumb.gif (sorry didnt want to spell it out as I don't want your customers to read all of our thoughts about it thumb.gif Btw, always meant to ask you, are you / or your hubbers Polish?

Thanks!!! You're right about getting a real email address. That will be the next step; it's definitely on the list!

My last name is Czech, actually. The proper Czech spelling (of the masculine version) is Koželský. Interesting factoid (then we can all get back on topic!): our last name means 'leather worker', and my great grandfather came to the U.S. with a certificate in leather-working from a school in Prague and landed himself in Gloversville, NY, which was a major leather glove-producing area at the time. Neat how all that worked out. It's pretty common that Czech names mean something, like Mr. Onion or Mrs. Cake, but rarely are those people actually onion farmers or bakers :)

Anyway, I did hem and haw a little bit about whether to use my name as the business name since many folks are scared away of the 'k' 'z' and 'sky' or whether I should come up with a fictitious one. Turns out that in Florida you have to pay an extra fee to register as a sole proprietorship under a fictitious name, so that helped me decide :)
    Webpage

• Options
    edited November 11, 2010
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    Thanks!!! You're right about getting a real email address. That will be the next step; it's definitely on the list!

My last name is Czech, actually. The proper Czech spelling (of the masculine version) is Koželský. Interesting factoid (then we can all get back on topic!): our last name means 'leather worker', and my great grandfather came to the U.S. with a certificate in leather-working from a school in Prague and landed himself in Gloversville, NY, which was a major leather glove-producing area at the time. Neat how all that worked out. It's pretty common that Czech names mean something, like Mr. Onion or Mrs. Cake, but rarely are those people actually onion farmers or bakers :)

Anyway, I did hem and haw a little bit about whether to use my name as the business name since many folks are scared away of the 'k' 'z' and 'sky' or whether I should come up with a fictitious one. Turns out that in Florida you have to pay an extra fee to register as a sole proprietorship under a fictitious name, so that helped me decide :)

Ha! Been there before with the complicated name, you should have seen my maiden name rolleyes1.gif! Zs are scary for people, I think most people just don't believe in them, haha! I looove complicated names, haha. Call me complicated name fetish rolleyes1.gif you should see the doctors I picked, just because of their name, haha! Speaking of, did I ever mention that I worked once with a justice of the peace, whose name was "Whynot" eek7.gif???? That was FUNNY! And yes, I made him show me his drivers license. :D
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Just in time for our business cards to get a make-over!! Sweet!

Now, if I could only decide what to do with them....

I'm loving your layout, Kristen, but I'd want something other than a flower. I'm leaning more towards a photograph I've actually taken, but I can't decide which one for the life of me.

As far as marketing is concerned, I'm a firm believer in a free Facebook. EVERY client I've ever gotten has been because of Facebook. I have a hard time remembering who I booked through Facebook, and who I booked through email when it comes time to dig through the archives to see the conversation. Tagging clients is one of the best ideas I've ever had, I can't tell you how many "I saw [client]'s pictures and I'd love for you to come shoot my infant/toddler/senior/engagements"

My repeat clients just text me "Hey, I want pictures next month, when are you free?" and it works just fine.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Do you guys hand out any info brochures when you meet your clients? Noooobody??? mwink.gif:D What about the prints / CDs you give to your clients? How do those look? Do you but them in nice envelopes / boxes / ... there are sooooo many options! ear.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    What's this about your cds? huh?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Well I just wonder how you guys do it? I think we'd all profit from it as I think in our business we need to think about the "whole package". Well, I wish more people would share their thoughts ... thanks for posting the postcard, Ted!
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    Complicated names are tough. Mine isn't that hard, but I still regret not going with something else easier to spell. When I did it, I just went with the first thing that came to mind. In retrospect, that was a mistake.

As for business cards, I've got multiple fronts... here are a few.

Front_1.jpg
    Front_2.jpg
    Front_3.jpg
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    I like that first one, Joe! It's beautiful, and nice and simple to boot :)

Yeah, Angie, I agree. The whole package is important. I actually own a small tabletop letterpress (the old-fashioned solid iron kind) and plan to get plates made with this new branding so I can print my own letterhead, cd/dvd cases (on nice brown recycled paper envelopes!), decorative tags, and other goodies. The final touch is to tie everything with twine.

I have made special glossy 5x7 cards for promotions or something in the past (usually text/branding on one side and an image on the back), so I'll probably repeat that with my new branding.

Angie's right! We need more examples up here!

P.S. - crazy last names... I love them too. I also admit to choosing a doctor based on a fun (Slavic) last name :)
    Webpage

• Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2010
    Kinkajou- you should be able to get a nice clean email account through gmail business. It is not that expensive either. And since you already have a gmail, I know you like them. Ok. So this is what I do. They have nice square boxes at hallmark. The one I have now ar teal black and white. The lid is tied down with a nice ribbon. I guess its about 4 inched deep, so i usually put tissue paper that matched the colors of their wedding. I use a clear jewel case and nothing on the disk. I get the disks from costco and they are white with no writing on top. The disk is under a nice bow. I also include a hand written note. I suggest they keep the box and put small items from the wedding in it and they all seem to love it. It works great when I do families with kids, they store all their disks in the box together. I don't print on the disk because I have had issuez with the paper getting hot and unglued in the disk drive of the computer. I am going green so this is even better! I'm in the middle of getting new business cards and a new logo. I am not full time and don't have money to really make anything else. I am thinking about doing an e newsletter though. Oh meetup.com helps to meet other photographers in your area. Since I am going green I have to market myself a whole different way and hopefully it will make me stand out. I will post a picture of my box later.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    Every one of my discs are different. Each client gets a custom designed disc with their photos on it (4 sides). I use my epson printer to print directly on the disc, no sticky labels.
    The clients are always impressed with them and they cost me very little. Which I like a lot. I can do up a disc in about 30 min and end up with a lot of wow factor. (I have hundreds of completed discs, but here are a few from the top of the stack.)

1092394721_HjyVU-X3.jpg

Here is my biz card from this year, but it already needs revamped. It has spot UV on it, so the words and black swirly border are slightly raised and glossy. You can write on the rest. :)

1092395546_aR8Cj-S.jpg1092396006_kHZBE-S.jpg

And this is my magazine ad from 2010:

1092396622_BHEwz-L.jpg

And at every wedding, I make custom designed guest cards with the bride and groom's info and colors and e session photos for each place setting at no extra charge. For like 30 bucks and a little effort I use my sneakyfeather powers to get each guest to take a biz card home with them. The brides often use it to decorate or for their little party favors. Sweet!
    953392746_9vBoD-M.jpg1011073980_Lj8m8-M.jpg780140973_JWwsm-M.jpg

The front is all about the couple, and the back is directions for the guests to view the photos online with the gallery password. It works out pretty slick because I pick up a lot extra print sales. iloveyou.gif

The sweet thing is that the disc, invite, schedule, & guest cards often match. Brides love matchy-matchy, let me tell ya.
    That is what I do. Though you never know when it is gonna change. I changed all my colors and fonts last year, so maybe again this year. :D
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2010
    You can print directly onto the disk?? I need to do that! I don't like printing on labels.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    1092394721_HjyVU-S.jpg
    That looks really, really nice iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    I'll have to post my photos when I get home. But I know that I need to do a major overhaul for next year.

Where did you find the letterpress thing? I'd LOVE to do that.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Great stuff, Heather! Does delivering all the jpegs to your clients reduce the print requests that you get from the bride's and the groom's guests? I mean, the guests could contact the bride and the groom and request a copy of the jpeg file they are interested in printing and do that pretty much for free (only pay for the cost of the print), hence skipping the process of ordering their prints through your website. What is your experience with this?
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited November 16, 2010
    Thanks... And they don't always choose to purchase the disc. Usually, but not always.
    I am sure a few have that figured out, but I still get a lot of print orders, so I am not too worried about it. In fact, for one wedding where they got the disc, there was still an additional $1,000+ in print sales from the bride and her family. You never can tell.
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Thanks... And they don't always choose to purchase the disc. Usually, but not always.
    I am sure a few have that figured out, but I still get a lot of print orders, so I am not too worried about it. In fact, for one wedding where they got the disc, there was still an additional $1,000+ in print sales from the bride and her family. You never can tell.

That's is awesome! Love your work.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer