Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #64 (Nine)

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Wow - you're fast!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jawsnapjawsnap Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2010
    Easy template!
    Hey all - I just made my own template in Photoshop in just a few minutes by first creating a 1280x959 canvas in black, then a 424x317 white canvas. I copied the white, pasted it on the black 9 times, then nudged each square into place using the arrow keys. Merge layers and tada!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    jawsnap wrote: »
    Hey all - I just made my own template in Photoshop in just a few minutes by first creating a 1280x959 canvas in black, then a 424x317 white canvas. I copied the white, pasted it on the black 9 times, then nudged each square into place using the arrow keys. Merge layers and tada!

Well explained! Thanks for taking the time to share your instructions.
    Welcome to Dgrin and DSS, hopefully you will fill your new template with awesomeness and upload it to the gallery. thumb.gif
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I must admit that when I saw I had to mess around making a collage of a very specific size for this challenge, my heart sank a bit. But having just downloaded Photoscape, and knocked a collage up in a few minutes to those exact specifications, I'm a happy boy

So anyone else who inwardly groaned when they saw the challenge has nothing to worry about. This is going to be fun :ivar
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    johnloguk wrote: »
    But having just downloaded Photoscape, and knocked a collage up in a few minutes to those exact specifications...

The thing about Photoscape is, it doesn't work on modern computers (i.e., Macs). It only works on outdated ones. mwink.gif

But I think I might've just found a decent, free Mac alternative:

http://www.shapecollage.com/

Gonna try it now. Will let you know.

ADDENDUM--Nope. Don't download Shape Collage. Less control, and the free version gives you a watermark.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Brought in my camera today to shoot my idea for this theme and grabbed the near dead battery instead of the fully charged one!

Somebody kick me! I tried to kick myself but can't reach!!! GRRRRRRR.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Well, I had a go. I like that photoscape program. It was a doddle, even on this old style PC laptop. :)

Cheers
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    ghinson wrote: »
    The thing about Photoscape is, it doesn't work on modern computers (i.e., Macs). It only works on outdated ones. mwink.gif
    OMG it's like your trying to start an argument rolleyes1.gif

In regards to PhotoScape since it is Free and easy to use for this type of project, it only made sense to let everyone know about it.
    So far I too have not found a decent OSX alternative but I also have not looked that hard. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Anyone find a Mac version of photoscape-like software?

I have LR3. Is there a way to do this in that program?

EDIT: Didn't see the page 2 posts when I posted this.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    The thing about Photoscape is, it doesn't work on modern computers (i.e., Macs). It only works on outdated ones.

Ha - What do you consider outdated? I have Vista (not great), but not THAT old. I think Photoscape is a cool little program for some things.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TEWMOMTEWMOM Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    jawsnap wrote: »

Thanks for this info, simple and perfect! I have been struggling with the black border criteria.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2010
    Ok--embarrassing question.
    All my images are full res and I don't resize unless I'm working on picnik and it's too slow and it asks me to resize.

So, how do I get it to the exact resize that's needed? ne_nau.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2010
    Ok--embarrassing question.
    All my images are full res and I don't resize unless I'm working on picnik and it's too slow and it asks me to resize.

So, how do I get it to the exact resize that's needed? ne_nau.gif

What tool are you going to use to put all of the resized images together?
    If you are going to use PhotoScape then you can use it to resize and crop to the size you need.

If your using another tool let us know what it is. I'm sure there is a way to do it, and someone will know how.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    I think I'm having a similar problem - I tried using Photoscape but the freeby version I downloaded doesn't appear to have an option for number of Columns, either under Page or Combine (not that I can find anyway - looked all over the place). So I'm using Photoshop Elements and kinda figured out the template based on jawsnap's post. When I add the photos by cut & paste, I manually resize them much smaller than they start out, but the tiny little photos are blurry compared to the original larger photos. headscratch.gif The photos posted in the entry gallery are all very sharp, even at the largest size you can see. Is there some trick with resizing the photos?
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2010
    The freebee version is the only version there is.
    I may have to do a specific step by step tutorial on how to resize and create your 9 image.
    This weekend is a busy one for me though so I may not be able to create the tutorial until Wednesday.
    I will try and fit it in tomorrow evening.

In the meantime did you check out my first tutorial I did when we did challenge #52? see here for more info.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    I'm just being a dingbat. I swear I never saw the Columns tab until I looked at your tutorial (must've been hiding from me). I'll blame it on both the painkillers I'm taking cuz of having my knee scoped on Wednesday & the excitement from getting a couple photos published. Wacky combination! Thanks for the link Sean!! thumb.gif I'll try mine again & see how it goes.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    Photoscape Tutorial
    It took me a bit to get it figured out. Here are some instructions based on my experience.

1. Open Photoscape and select Combine.
    1097542046_kRSx3-L.jpg

2. Collect a bunch of photos and arrange them in the order you like. You can drag and drop from the list on the left.
    1097558170_D4maJ-L.jpg

3. Select photos from the list.
    1097554089_MAEAQ-X3.jpg

4. Drag them to the work area and arrange them in the order you prefer.
    1097554112_E6zbB-L.jpg

5. Set parameters on the right. You will want to Set to small photo size, set the Outer Margin to 2 pixels, set the Intervals of Photos to 2 pixels, Set the Margin color to black, set columns to 3 and set up the frame.
    1097542051_UgVP7-L.jpg

6. Click on the Set to Small Photo Size button and select Set the reference size to set the size for the individual photos.
    1097542037_yuEat-L.jpg

7. The reference size window will pop up. Set width to 424 and height to 317 and click OK.
    1097542036_Vhfy3-L.jpg

8. Click on the Frame button. Then click on the down triangle to choose the frame for the individual photos.
    1097542041_rPGTn-L.jpg

9. Choose Black Line 2.
    1097542045_HmpK8-L.jpg

10. Now you are ready to save. Click on the Save button in the top right.
    1097549160_E8KME-L.jpg

11. Choose JPEG and name your file.
    1097549189_58JCH-L.jpg

12. Choose high quality.
    1097542057_egctm-L.jpg

Finis.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    It took me a bit to get it figured out. Here are some instructions based on my experience. ....
    Finis.

Bravo! - saves me a ton of work.. Thank you! bowdown.gif

It just so happens I was in the middle of creating a tutorial and as it turns out you found a way of resizing the images much better than how I was going to teach it. I always love how there are many ways to arrive at a destination. thumb.gif

Here is another example that I was working on when making the tut. (click to see full size)
    1097585381_CycA8-M-1.jpg

The bunnies are all a 424x317 crop from this one image.
    833155408_5zwvC-L.jpg

Thank you once again WhatSheSaw for taking the time to make the tutorial. It's Awesome!
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    ...I always love how there are many ways to arrive at a destination. thumb.gif

Which is why I love watching other people work. :D

I love your second example. Scratch another idea. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    PujojoPujojo Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 20, 2010
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Well... I thank you for saying so. But my intention was not to intimidate but try and inspire; this is why I chose a simple easy subject just to give everyone an idea of the type of image that we are hoping to get.

A comment about portrait requests.... Just imagine you have been asked to photograph a series of images to fit into a window frame. The window already exists and you are not able to change the orientation of it. You have total creative control on what you decide to fill the frame with but you still need to make sure it looks good in that format.

Make sense?

Oh, I KNOW, lol!!! The idea I had, of 9 images of the number 9 from the street, almost forces a vertical orientation, unless I can locate the number isolated....
    No worries, I have cooked up another idea totally, which I am going to attempt on Thursday...
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2010
    Thank you what she saw:)
    Thanks Sean.

I figured it out and the step by step baby steps helped. :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I was wondering how people with Macs are handling this.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    Pixel math.

OSX + provided template + Photoshop = 9

No Photoshop + Mac / 9 = GIMP

GIMP for osx is here:
    http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/News/News.html
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    leaving town soon but had this idea so ran around shooting this am. Please note - my old cat was not hurt or irritated in any manor to shoot this project in fact she hardly gets outside much anymore so she enjoyed "yard time"
    My black inside lines seem a little big compared to example but they were photoscape 2 so I hope they are ok
    Good luck all!! & Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Question please :)
    If my images have a black background, can I invert the frame and make it white?

- Otherwise it will not be seeable... headscratch.gif

Thank you,
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, WhatSheSaw! I tried this and it works! Now I just have to take some better photos.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, WhatSheSaw! I tried this and it works! Now I just have to take some better photos.

:andy:encoreYou're welcome! :D

I'm with you on the better photos part. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Question for Sean, please
    Hi Sean,

If my images have a black background, can I make the frame white?

- Otherwise it will not be seeable...

Thank you,
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »
    Hi Sean,

If my images have a black background, can I make the frame white?

- Otherwise it will not be seeable...

Thank you,

I saw your question the first time but was out all day and did not have time to answer until now.
    Re-reading what I wrote in the initial instructions makes it pretty clear that the black border must be strictly followed.
    I understand that you won't see the border if your background is black, I do not think it will matter.

Thanks for asking.