Toroweap Revisited

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited November 28, 2010 in Landscapes

Comments

• TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Wow Dan! Very nice. Someday I've got to get out there.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Beautiful photo, and I'm really glad you didn't step out any further on that rock! It really gives me the feeling of being right there! Best, Pam
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Wow Dan! Very nice. Someday I've got to get out there.

Thanks Trey. Definitely worth the trip, but make sure you have a good four wheel vehicledeal.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Looks great, Dan! thumb.gif
    It might benefit from a touch more contrast, but I am on my girlfriend's laptop right now, so it might be the crappy screen!

Reminds me that "Toroweap Sunrise Photos" are STILL on my to do list...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited November 19, 2010
    PGM wrote: »
    Beautiful photo, and I'm really glad you didn't step out any further on that rock! It really gives me the feeling of being right there! Best, Pam

Thanks Pam. It's a 1.25 miles down so, believe me, I felt alive; and I wanted to stay that way :D
  • shadesshades Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    AWESOME!!! Great shot.
    This is my Nikon. There are many like it but, this one is mine.

Bart Williams
    Oregon

http://nwprophoto.smugmug.com/
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Wow, very very nice! clap.gif

OK, please let me drift a bit and ask a question. How do you take pictures like this and avoid getting big blobby sun flares? I realize some lenses are more prone to flare than others, but are their any tips for minimizing it.
    edited November 19, 2010
    PilotBrad wrote: »

OK, please let me drift a bit and ask a question. How do you take pictures like this and avoid getting big blobby sun flares? I realize some lenses are more prone to flare than others, but are their any tips for minimizing it.

That is a great question, and I do not have the answer, but I have no doubt others will. This shot had lots of blobby sun flares which I cloned out :D
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    I love the scenery here, a few critiques:

* There's some fairly heavy noise in the clouds, did you increase the brightness in post?
    * There are parts of the image that are unnaturally dark - for example the upper left near and around that bush, and parts of the horizon on the right. Did you use a GND filter >= 3 stops? That could explain it. The upper left corner also shows some signs of vignetting.
    * There's a weird dark blotchy spot on the right horizon
    * The crop is a little off (you can't tell on a white background, but you can tell on a black one). Looks like you just need to shave a snippet off the right.

I think the foreground is really good, it's just the background areas that need work. High contrast scenes like this are nearly impossible to process, and I admire your stamina :)

This is definitely on my places to visit, but a rental car won't cut it :)
    edited November 19, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Reminds me that "Toroweap Sunrise Photos" are STILL on my to do list...

I don't know whether to be disgusted or in awe... lol3.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Wow, this is a visually stunning image. Really a feast for the eyes. I love the geometric foreground that leads the eye to a beautiful curving river.
    edited November 19, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    I love the scenery here, a few critiques:

* There's some fairly heavy noise in the clouds, did you increase the brightness in post?
    * There are parts of the image that are unnaturally dark - for example the upper left near and around that bush, and parts of the horizon on the right. Did you use a GND filter >= 3 stops? That could explain it. The upper left corner also shows some signs of vignetting.
    * There's a weird dark blotchy spot on the right horizon
    * The crop is a little off (you can't tell on a white background, but you can tell on a black one). Looks like you just need to shave a snippet off the right.

I think the foreground is really good, it's just the background areas that need work. High contrast scenes like this are nearly impossible to process, and I admire your stamina :)

Of course you are right on all counts, which just validates the fact that I can not manually blend as well as Photomatix. I keep trying to produce a better photo than my original, and I keep failing. However, Ron, I do sincerely appreciate you taking the time to ruin my day rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 20, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Of course you are right on all counts, which just validates the fact that I can not manually blend as well as Photomatix. I keep trying to produce a better photo than my original, and I keep failing. However, Ron, I do sincerely appreciate you taking the time to ruin my day rolleyes1.gif

At least I accomplished something today! :D

Ultimately it's the results that matter, not the post processing technique used to get there. If Photomatix works, then use it! But don't give up on manual blends just yet. A scene like this is about as tough as it's going to get, I rarely shoot scenes with this much contrast.
    edited November 20, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Wow, this is a visually stunning image. Really a feast for the eyes. I love the geometric foreground that leads the eye to a beautiful curving river.

Thanks, Doug. I am glad you like it :D
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    I don't know whether to be disgusted or in awe... lol3.gif

I think a little bit of both is the correct answer! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 20, 2010
    At least I accomplished something today! :D

Ultimately it's the results that matter, not the post processing technique used to get there. If Photomatix works, then use it! But don't give up on manual blends just yet. A scene like this is about as tough as it's going to get, I rarely shoot scenes with this much contrast.

I think when I shot this I shot 3-5 frames as an HDR, all with a 3 stop GND at the same time. It is really dark down in that canyon, and, of course, very bright near the sun.

That viewpoint is just one of those spots that you have to see in person.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Such a beautiful photo the rays comming threw gives it a peaceful setting.Its so beautiful there you captured it perfectly :)
  • jeeprjeepr Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif Absolutely stunning!!!!!
    Please don't edit my images or use them without my permisson.
    Amanda's | Photocreations
    http://amandasphotocreations.smugmug.com/
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Great shot, Dan. Yeah, there are some technical issues but to my mind it's as much about the emotional reaction you can generate in the viewer from the image and this one works in that regard.
  • bradorrbradorr Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    removing your filter from your lens will help.. I found much of it comes from reflections from the front element and the filter
    PilotBrad wrote: »

• EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    I love Toroweap! I hope to get back there soon. I agree w/ a lot of comments, bit gonna go even one further; did you have more than a single filter on the front of your camera, and was this a high grade lens or a consumer lens? Normally, to see multiple lines like that means that the light is hitting or reflecting off one thing per line. There's still a tiny bit of green flare in the center FG rocks. The way to avoid flare is partly dependent on atmoshperics; how high the sun, how much haze and diffusion, and how much of the disc is visible. Generally a high quality lens, not having anything in front of the front element, and the sun one (up to three) solar disc(s) above the horizon, depending on haze, or if the sun is obscured by any clouds.
    edited November 24, 2010
    jackiejay wrote: »
    Such a beautiful photo the rays comming threw gives it a peaceful setting.Its so beautiful there you captured it perfectly :)
    jeepr wrote: »
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif Absolutely stunning!!!!!
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Great shot, Dan. Yeah, there are some technical issues but to my mind it's as much about the emotional reaction you can generate in the viewer from the image and this one works in that regard.

Thanks folks.
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 25, 2010
    Stunning, Dan! clap.gif My kind of landscape! You captured it beautifully. I do agree with some points mentioned by others, e.g. upping the contrast a little bit and eliminating the white band left after cropping, but these are just minor technicalities. The photo is still a winner.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited November 25, 2010
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    Stunning, Dan! clap.gif My kind of landscape! You captured it beautifully. I do agree with some points mentioned by others, e.g. upping the contrast a little bit and eliminating the white band left after cropping, but these are just minor technicalities. The photo is still a winner.

Ana

Thank you Ana. Here is the same shot processed differently. What do you think?

1104285233_zvXqo-XL-1.jpg
    edited November 25, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »

I think this is MUCH better. You lose some of the drama without the sun star, but everything else about this second photo is better, the foreground is more crisp and sharp, there's no halos or weird dark spots on the horizon or by those bushes. Definitely an improvement!
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 26, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:

While the second photo is crisper, has more midtone contrast/detail and loses the halos, it lacks, IMHO, the very component that is essential for a great landscape photo - light. It's quite flat compared to the first one, which - flaws apart - glows with the sweet golden light that can't be replaced or surpassed by anything else. So if you can try and post-process the first shot a bit differently to avoid the above-mentioned shortcomings and retain the sweet light, you've got yourself a winner. thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 26, 2010

You can make it in a Suburban easily, Ron.

My Ridgeline made it without difficulties at all. You really will want 4WD and good ground clearance, but any 4WD pickup should suffice.

Some folks do get there in a 2WD compact car, at times; I have seen them there, but I would not attempt that unless I was with a group that could save my back sides if the weather changed, or I had a bit of bad luck. You are almost a 100 miles from pavement and no cell phone coverage at all. Take plenty of water, and some shade.

Make sure you have a good spare tire, or maybe even two. And a snatchem strap. There are some rock ledges about 8-10 inches tall along the way. There are some sand pits that you need to negotiate also.

It is a great place to visit and photograph. Thanks again, Aaron, for taking me there.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Hey Dan,
    I see you visited the coveted "Nelson point" again mwink.gif
    Nice image! thumb.gif
    And I take it, it wasn't 104F either rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    You can make it in a Suburban easily, Ron.

My Ridgeline made it without difficulties at all. You really will want 4WD and good ground clearance, but any 4WD pickup should suffice.

Some folks do get there in a 2WD compact car, at times; I have seen them there, but I would not attempt that unless I was with a group that could save my back sides if the weather changed, or I had a bit of bad luck. You are almost a 100 miles from pavement and no cell phone coverage at all. Take plenty of water, and some shade.

Make sure you have a good spare tire, or maybe even two. And a snatchem strap. There are some rock ledges about 8-10 inches tall along the way. There are some sand pits that you need to negotiate also.

It is a great place to visit and photograph. Thanks again, Aaron, for taking me there.

Oh yeah, sandpits are there for sure:

596681326_74mzT-L.jpg

As Jim said, most of the road is totally fine for any 2WD vehicle, it's just the last few miles is where you would appreciate a higher clearance and if not 4WD, then at least a few buddies mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    The reprocessed photo is a great improvement. The colors are more vivid and the canyon really comes alive. I do miss that fantastic sun star, but oh well.