Toroweap Revisited

2»

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    While the second photo is crisper, has more midtone contrast/detail and loses the halos, it lacks, IMHO, the very component that is essential for a great landscape photo - light. It's quite flat compared to the first one, which - flaws apart - glows with the sweet golden light that can't be replaced or surpassed by anything else. So if you can try and post-process the first shot a bit differently to avoid the above-mentioned shortcomings and retain the sweet light, you've got yourself a winner. thumb.gif

Ana
    Great coaching, melding wow with technical correctness thumb.gif
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Hey Dan,
    I see you visited the coveted "Nelson point" again mwink.gif
    Nice image! thumb.gif
    And I take it, it wasn't 104F either rolleyes1.gif

This is the shot from our trip Nik :ivar
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    This is the shot from our trip Nik :ivar

Oh, gotcha.. I took "revisited" part literally :bash
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 26, 2010
    Oh yeah, sandpits are there for sure:

596681326_74mzT-L.jpg

As Jim said, most of the road is totally fine for any 2WD vehicle, it's just the last few miles is where you would appreciate a higher clearance and if not 4WD, then at least a few buddies mwink.gif

That was seriously scary till you guys came back to rescue us rolleyes1.gifclap
    edited November 26, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    The reprocessed photo is a great improvement. The colors are more vivid and the canyon really comes alive. I do miss that fantastic sun star, but oh well.

Well that is in part what Ana was referring to with high dynamic light. Thanks Treythumb.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010

596681326_74mzT-L.jpg

As Jim said, most of the road is totally fine for any 2WD vehicle, it's just the last few miles is where you would appreciate a higher clearance and if not 4WD, then at least a few buddies mwink.gif

I think I've still got dirt in my mouth from that cloud that got kicked up! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010

I'll never forget that dust cloud hitting my face rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 27, 2010
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    While the second photo is crisper, has more midtone contrast/detail and loses the halos, it lacks, IMHO, the very component that is essential for a great landscape photo - light. It's quite flat compared to the first one, which - flaws apart - glows with the sweet golden light that can't be replaced or surpassed by anything else. So if you can try and post-process the first shot a bit differently to avoid the above-mentioned shortcomings and retain the sweet light, you've got yourself a winner. thumb.gif

Ana

Shimon suggested I blend the two. Here is my attempt.

1106541616_3UfU4-XL.jpg
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 27, 2010
    Best yet, I think, Dan.

It was only 114 degrees that day when you all were stuck in the sand pit. What's not to like?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Dan,

I know eveyone has their own opinion- but I really like the second version - even better than your previous shots from this location.

The vertical wall on the left third of the shot really stands out in the second version and brings me right into the shot and down to the river. In my humble opinion, the star in both the first and third versions do nothing but distract - they do not add the drama that you might have wanted.

For what it is worth.
    edited November 28, 2010
    daveman wrote: »
    Dan,

I know eveyone has their own opinion- but I really like the second version - even better than your previous shots from this location.

The vertical wall on the left third of the shot really stands out in the second version and brings me right into the shot and down to the river. In my humble opinion, the star in both the first and third versions do nothing but distract - they do not add the drama that you might have wanted.

For what it is worth.

Thanks Dave. I certainly agree that technically it is the best. :D:D I may be re-processing this shot for the rest of my life rolleyes1.gif