Options

Another climbing day in the Slovenian Alps

annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
edited December 7, 2010 in Landscapes
Mt. Prisojnik was one of the mountains in the Julian Alps (Slovenia) that I hadn't conquered yet, so when I was deciding where to go on a warm October Saturday, it wasn't hard to choose. There are at least five marked trails leading to the top, all involving quite a bit of climbing.

Setting off from one of the huts through a larch forest my friend Sandi and I approached the north face of Mt. Prisojnik.

P01-Prisojnik-004-Hpm.jpg

Soon we reached the rock face and started to ascend quickly. The first difficult section was soon behind us.

P03-Prisojnik-009.jpg

And then we saw her. The pagan girl. Staring into the valley. (Can you see her?)

P05-Prisojnik-014-HpmW.jpg

By that time the sun rose high enough to illuminate the peaks on the other side of the misty pass.

P07-Prisojnik-018.jpg

Higher up there was another demanding stretch of the route, and a few mountaineers were already there.

P10-Prisojnik-038.jpg

Steel rope and lots of iron pegs helped us climb.

P11-Prisojnik-046.jpg

Iridescent clouds above us.

P16-Prisojnik-075.jpg

We changed places all the time to be able to shoot up and down.

P17-IMG_3299.jpg

And then there it was, right above us - the mighty Front Window. Can you guess how big it is?

P20-Prisojnik-087.jpg

One look back towards the valley before we began the last ascent to the big hole.

P21-Prisojnik-097-Hpm.jpg

P23-Prisojnik-100-Hpm.jpg

The narrow and very steep ravine was hard to negotiate but at least there wasn't any snow.

P24-Prisojnik-107.jpg

The very wide view from the bottom of the huge cavern.

P28-Prisojnik-123-Hpm.jpg

Of course, the only way up and out is to climb. :)

P29-Prisojnik-133-Hpm.jpg

And so we climbed. If you haven't guessed the height of the cavern before - it's 80 meters (260 feet). :huh

P30-Prisojnik-136-Hpm.jpg

And on the other side: the sun! Looking back into the hole we stripped one more layer of clothing.

P35-Prisojnik-157-Hpm.jpg

The ridge trail to the top which looked deceptively close. Mt. Triglav (the highest Slovenian mountain) in the background.

P39-Prisojnik-175.jpg

P38-Prisojnik-173.jpg

P40-Prisojnik-181.jpg

And finally at the top of Mt. Prisojnik at 2547 meters (8350 feet)! The views were fantastic.

P42-Prisojnik-188.jpg

The Kamnik Alps in the distance.

P43-Prisojnik-191.jpg

Beautiful Mt. Jalovec.

P47-Prisojnik-200.jpg

P44-Prisojnik-195.jpg

Ah, the clouds...

P51-Prisojnik-222.jpg

The south trail down the mountain was very warm and sunny.

P55-Prisojnik-253.jpg

Only a few larches were really yellow. The prime time was yet to come.

P57-Prisojnik-259.jpg

Mt. Prisojnik shows a completely different face from the south: friendlier and more approachable.

P58-Prisojnik-263.jpg

Back at the car we couldn't help but observe that some mountains look pretty much unconquerable from afar, for mortals anyway. Did we really climb that almost vertical rock wall? :ivar Our trail is marked with a red line.

P60-Prisojnik-272a.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the photos as much as I did taking them! :D

Ana
Ana
SmugMug Support Hero Manager
My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Unbelievable set, Ana. So many shots I just love. Numbers 4, 10, 14, 15, and 26 really stand out for me. Great details, contrast and perspective.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited November 30, 2010
    Wow! I love the last shot with your route on it! That's a beautiful place!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 30, 2010
    Great pictures and looks like an awesome trip. Great colors. Those fisheye (at least I think they were) shots are really cool. #14 and 15 are good examples of what I'm talking about.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Beautiful! Looks like it was a great hike. :)
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Great series. Thanks for taking us along with you on your climb!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    WOW! Amazing shots throughout the day. The photos of the window/holes are very cool.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Awesome work, and it looks like a cool trip too! We don't have much over here, but from what I've heard, Via Ferrata can make for some really cool climbs!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Great post!! Thanks for all the photos. Looks like a beautiful area.

Sam
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    I think there are only two proper vias ferrata in the US. I noticed that you didn't use leashes and harnesses to clip to the cable. So you just used the cable for progress, and not protection? Very beautiful route, and your narrative made me feel almost like I was along with you. Thank you.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Stunning pics, awesome trail/climb! thumb.gifbow
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Wow! What a great set. Thanks for sharing your amazing
    journey. I guess you have no fear of heights.

Awesome.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Amazing. Gorgeous. Jaw-dropping. You are a brave woman and a terrific photographer. :)
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 30, 2010
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    wow, what a beautiful set of images. they all go so well together to weave us your story. love #1 with the jet trail mimicking the trail through the woods. #26 beautiful trees, it must be absolutely gorgeous during the peak season. also beautiful job with your last image to show us the route. You really thought this out completely. well done.
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Fantastic images and story, as always. :)
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    WOW, I really did enjoy these Ana!!!! Beautiful area!! I am wondering about your processing in some of these pics. Pics #3, 10 and 15for example look to have some type of treatment to them similar to HDR. They look real nice and just wondering what you did.

Thanks, Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Nice set felt like I was there for the journey. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Great shots. Number 1 is brilliant!!
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 1, 2010
    Thanks everybody! It was indeed a beautiful hike/climb and the last one before we got the first snow in mid-October.
    coldclimb wrote: »
    Awesome work, and it looks like a cool trip too! We don't have much over here, but from what I've heard, Via Ferrata can make for some really cool climbs!
    I should have been more specific, yes, and state that this is a via ferrata. I'm no climber, just a hiker who likes more demanding trails. :D
    Icebear wrote:
    I think there are only two proper vias ferrata in the US. I noticed that you didn't use leashes and harnesses to clip to the cable. So you just used the cable for progress, and not protection? Very beautiful route, and your narrative made me feel almost like I was along with you. Thank you.
    No, I didn't clip myself to the cable. I find it too awkward and it slows me down. It would come in handy while taking photos though so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping the balance. :D
    ront wrote:
    WOW, I really did enjoy these Ana!!!! Beautiful area!! I am wondering about your processing in some of these pics. Pics #3, 10 and 15for example look to have some type of treatment to them similar to HDR. They look real nice and just wondering what you did.
    They are indeed HDRs, taken without a tripod (there's no room for one in the middle of a rockface! :D). I try to post-process them to look as natural as possible. I'm glad you like them.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Ana I don't know what to say! I am so jealous and that looks like so much fun. I wanted to know about the cable too, if you were climbing-climbing (the way our infamous Alaskan Duo does it) or if that bar with pegs is kind of a semi-permanent "trail" for adventurous travelers. If so, I would totally do that!

Thank you so much for sharing your journey. What an incredible trip! (And that whole route only took a day?)
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    They are indeed HDRs, taken without a tripod (there's no room for one in the middle of a rockface! :D). I try to post-process them to look as natural as possible. I'm glad you like them.Ana

Thanks Ana. I think your HDR processing is very very nice!! I also like to keep mine as natural as possible.
    Again, all are very nice photos!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Thanks for sharing your adventure.
    Great job on the photos and amazing scenery :).
  • Options
    eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Simply breathtaking... so many favorites in that series, well done bowdown.gif
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Fabulous series, Ana, and an amazing climb. Congratulations. clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Stunning series, Ana! I particularly love the superwide shots with the window. bowdown.gif The lookback shot at the end really puts the whole series (and your amazing journey) in perspective.
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Really nice! So many beautiful photos. Great PP as well!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Stunning series!
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Superb - really enjoyed your climb and the excellent pics that went with it.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Wow, Gorgeous! Great shots and story.
    Chris