Ch.47 RAAF Pilot

Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
edited September 16, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just toying with the idea based on the old WWII B&W photos. Thought perhaps a sepia tone print might be nice also. Still a long way from being finished. I originally shot the palm trees in the background....because the flight gear was that of a Royal Australian Air Force pilot stationed in the tropics (probably N. Africa?). I am thinking of perhaps heading out to the airport and see if I can find something more appropriate for a background. They have a restaurant out there that is an old WWII hanger. They also have some trucks and jeeps out there. Maybe just a dramatic cloudy sky will work better also? Just wanted to throw this out and test the waters (see what it looks like uploaded/posted.) I had toyed with the PP trying to get that old(ish) looking print feel. The PP still needs some work.

Might completely change my mind on the approach to the self portrait. Have some other ....wilder ideas that may or may not be able to be shot.

Thoughts/comments ?? :uhoh :huh

Talley Ho.. :thumb

(1)
49154753.jpg

(2)
49154752.jpg

(3)
49154760.jpg

(4)

or perhaps a color version?

(5)

Not sure on these. It's difficult shooting myself. Don't like posting pics of me to be photoshopped on the internet. :rofl :uhoh Just for the record.....I don't usually parade around in WWII military garb. I collect WWII militaria and happened to have some items out to document. Thought...why not make a fool of myself and put this flight gear on. Sit outside in the 100* heat index Florida weatehr and take pictures of myself. :rofl :rofl I'm sure the neighbors are really wondering about me now.:scratch Just hope the men in the white coats don't come to take me away. :dunno :huh

BMP
Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2005
    I think I like #3 most
    Something WWII-looking. Maybe try sepia, too? And artificiall dust and scratches?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I like the expression in the photo where you are not looking at the camera. There is a dreamy quality about it that brings to my mind Magee's poem, High Flight:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. ...

I prefer it in the black and white version. Wonderful portrait of someone who loves flying. It says a lot to me. clap.gif

Va.

Email
  • RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    Fabulous idea!!

My favourite is #2 since it looks more like a candid. However, it's too sharp to be authentic, and in kinda bothers me. Mayebe you can soften the details a wee bit?

Raz
    "Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
    approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    Thanks folks. I appreciate the comments. I'm not sure how much photoshop antics are allowed/accepted? I had also thought of doing a rep. of the old Life magazine covers?? Not sure if adding dust/scratches etc will be frowned upon? Heck...I could PS my mug in the cockpit of a Mustang if I wanted. :):

Thanks for taking a look. I'm thinking I'll reshoot in B&W (used RAW) My PP skills are limited. Not sure I'm doing that color to B&W conversion correctly. Need to go back and check out some of the posts/pointers on this site. I did think the sepia toned print would work well. Still need to do one of those. I'll post the progress.

Couple things bothering me...what do you think?

Does the oxygen mask straps hanging out in front of my face...bother anyone?

Palm trees (background) work? Think dramatic cloudy sky would work better? (might also shoot at a lower angle....shooting upwards towards sky)?

The B&W conversion working? Not sure if having too many midtones....or quality exposure will give that "old" feel...but might?

What about lighting? I shot almost mid day (harsh). First thought was to give impression of the desert/tropics? Thinking about shooting late evening...with lots of dramatic castshadows...and most of background fading to black?

** makes note to use original image before sharpening...as an example**

Cheers
    BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Gosh, GMan, you DO have the most interesting backyard! Next I want to see the old WW1 airplane. I think those are coolest!

Maybe you could use a bird as the pilot and you could "co" pilot. (but for gosh sake, stay in the backyard with the thing)

They allow any and all pS, but make sure they LIKE it, they don't like all photoshop. Mine won as a collage, but it was kind of like putting the bird in the scene. I don't think a super collage would win, don't even know if it would be picked, just my HO.

"they" do not like type on the page.

As far as I know, in my most humble opinion, of course!

ginger (the ones where you are NOT looking at the camera, I agree on that.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    Thanks for looking Ginger. So.... I can photoshop some things... :D:D:D:D

Glad I asked...'cause I like the "sort of" looking at the camera shot..better. Thought it was.....more pilot looking? rolleyes1.gif So...closer crop of the head...or do you like more WWII junk (flight gear, cords, tunic, wings, etc) in the shot? Maybe i'm more hung up on the stuff..'cause I collect it?

Historically inaccurate photo. :uhoh ne_nau.gif Those are U.S. flight goggles. Not that a Commenwealth pilot couldn't/wouldn't wear them....just more likely to wear MkVII or MKVIII British issued goggles. Maybe I'll shoot some with those goggles. Hated to drag them out...as they are in mint condition...and fragile. headscratch.gif

Too much thinking going on today. Know a fellow that's writing/publishing a WWII aviation book. THe use of some of my photos was brought up...so this is kind of double time work. :):

Here is a special version for the BLUES BROTHERS (Harry, Ben, Jeff) that like those flight shots and purdy blues. thumb.gif See guys.....I've got the blues too. rolleyes1.gif

49160639.jpg

BMP (still liking #4 best for some reason?)
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • ktb53ktb53 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    You certainly look in deep thought, I like the shot of your mouth closed better. My suggestion for this type of shot would be to go with either really low saturation or maybe even take the black and white and do a "digital" hand coloring to it. I think that would help it fit the era nicely. A nice sepia tone image would be cool too. I'm not a big fan of the super bright colors, I can't remember anything from WWII that has bright colors, but maybe that's just me. Anyhow, any way you go I think you got a great picture there.
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
    Thanks for the input KTB. Just for the record (not that I like them..or thought I'd use them). Color film/slides were introduced back in the 1930s. There was in fact many color photographs during WWII. It seems (unfortunately) that many folks have not seen these photos and or don't know that color film was around during the war. There are also color movies IIRC.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blphotographytimeline.htm

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/justin/1087/WWII/Images/Aire/Ace.jpg

http://www.ww2incolor.com/

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/justin/1087/WWII/

There are many more sites and books on this topic. It just doesn't seem WWII if it's not in B&W. Funny story..is that I had no idea that the U.S. officer's tunics were chocolate brown in color...until I had been collecting for a bout a year. rolleyes1.gif I just assumed they were green/olive for some reason. Never saw a color photo/film of WWII before I was "really" interested in the subject.

Thanks again for all the comments. Much appreciated.

Now...if I can just find a spitfire or P-51 mustang. :D

(7)

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    Bman, someone already did the ultrabrite color thing and has posted it. Not that you still can't.

ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Bman, someone already did the ultrabrite color thing and has posted it. Not that you still can't.

ginger
    Thanks Ginger. I saw that. I was not going to use the funky colored one. That was a joke directed towards those Nikon using bird men (blues brothers) and their funky blues. rolleyes1.gif I plan on going either B&W or Sepia toned. thumb.gif Thanks for pointing this out anyway.

I'm currently working on a version..... using my medium format TLR Yashica. I was going to line up my digital above the (open) viewfinder of the old TTL camera. Inside the viewfinder would be ...the pilot (me). Sort of a twist on the typical portrait. I had thought about doing the camera in color..and selective B&W on the pilot (me)...or visa versa ..color me..and B&W camera/viewfinder? Im having a bit of trouble getting things lined up correctly without cutting off my head or nose. rolleyes1.gif **gimmmmicky gimmicky**. Don't know if I can leave a "Straight portrait" well enough alone? ne_nau.gif

I'll get the old camera version up ASAP.

Thanks again for looking.

Cheers

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    Hey Mike
    I don't care for the off color ones. Sepia might work?

I really like the color versions, the B&W may need a bit more contrast, JMHO though

The one thing that keeps bugging me is he is squinting from alot to a little, but that a personal thing.

Hope that helps a little thumb.gif

What's a challenge anyway ??? :lol4
    bfjr wrote:
    What's a challenge anyway ??? :lol4
    A challlenge? You don't know what a challenge is? That would be like me proposing that you try and make your blues in your sky and water look more natural....in future shots? I would challenge (or in some ways..bet) that you can't do it...or egg you into at least trying to do this. Another example would be if I proposed we slug it out with our fists for Harry's 500mm lens when his goose has been cooked. I'd challenge you to see who could physically take it from the other. Follow? :uhoh eek7.gifumph.gif:D Just kidding. I'd just run faster than you and get it first. clap.gif Not that it would do me much good...being the Boom Boom Canon guy. I just figured if I got control of it.....I might not have to look at any more wild blue close up shots of funky water and egrets. rolleyes1.gif

I was squinting because I was blinded by some guys blue water in his bird shots. :D It's bright out in the desert (Florida). I thought that might have added a touch of realism? Maybe I'll shoot some later in the evening and try not to squint. It might have also been due to the camera scaring me??:uhoh I was afraid to keep my eyes open. I'm not comfortable IN FRONT of the camera. That's why I'm the photog. I'm always BEHIND the camera. There is a reason for that......don't ya know?ne_nau.gif

Thanks for looking, Ben.

Well...the TLR viewfinder idea needs a lot more work. rolleyes1.gif I need to get a way to shoot closer so the subject (me) fills the viewfinder . Not sure I like this idea? The idea was better than the execution. I might try it again if time permits. It's difficult to see me clearly. Maybe a closer shot of the viewfinder might help also? Oh well....here is what I snapped just before the sun got too low for shooting. Part of the problem was the slow lens on the Yashica not letting much light into the viefinder..:uhoh

49175929.jpg

49180750.jpg

You kind of get the idea.......

Cheers

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    A challlenge? You don't know what a challenge is? That would be like me proposing that you try and make your blues in your sky and water look more natural....in future shots? I would challenge (or in some ways..bet) that you can't do it...or egg you into at least trying to do this. Another example would be if I proposed we slug it out with our fists for Harry's 500mm lens when his goose has been cooked. I'd challenge you to see who could physically take it from the other. Follow? :uhoh eek7.gifumph.gif:D Just kidding. I'd just run faster than you and get it first. clap.gif Not that it would do me much good...being the Boom Boom Canon guy. I just figured if I got control of it.....I might not have to look at any more wild blue close up shots of funky water and egrets. rolleyes1.gif

I was squinting because I was blinded by some guys blue water in his bird shots. :D It's bright out in the desert (Florida). I thought that might have added a touch of realism? Maybe I'll shoot some later in the evening and try not to squint. It might have also been due to the camera scaring me??:uhoh I was afraid to keep my eyes open. I'm not comfortable IN FRONT of the camera. That's why I'm the photog. I'm always BEHIND the camera. There is a reason for that......don't ya know?ne_nau.gif

Thanks for looking, Ben.

Well...the TLR viewfinder idea needs a lot more work. rolleyes1.gif I need to get a way to shoot closer so the subject (me) fills the viewfinder . Not sure I like this idea? The idea was better than the execution. I might try it again if time permits. It's difficult to see me clearly. Maybe a closer shot of the viewfinder might help also? Oh well....here is what I snapped just before the sun got too low for shooting. Part of the problem was the slow lens on the Yashica not letting much light into the viefinder..:uhoh

You kind of get the idea.......

Cheers

BMP

Oh those were pictures of You !!! I'm so sorry didn't know you were part Oriental rolleyes1.gif :lol4 :lol lol3.gif:D
    bfjr wrote:
    Oh those were pictures of You !!! I'm so sorry didn't know you were part Oriental rolleyes1.gif :lol4 :lol lol3.gif:D
    Now that was BRILLIANT.ne_nau.gif You just went and probably insulted all the Orientals on this site. thumb.gif I guess I better stop ribbin' you about that Nikon and those funky blues. I must have pushed you over the line. So Sorry.

Cheers

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    Very cool idea with the medium format
    Looking away from the camera is good.
    I'd like to see more of the face filling the viewfinder..
    Just a thought..
    Keep it on!thumb.gif
    edited September 13, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Looking away from the camera is good.
    I'd like to see more of the face filling the viewfinder..
    Just a thought..
    Keep it on!thumb.gif
    Thanks Nikolai. I agree. So....how about something like this?

49186008.jpg

So...would some photoshop work like this fly? Or is this taboo trouble (big no no)?eek7.gif Ok...I'll have to reshoot it. Don't think I can get the viewfinder that sharp though. It's heavily frosted/matte and very old, dirty and yucky. :cry

Cheers

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    Now that was BRILLIANT.ne_nau.gif You just went and probably insulted all the Orientals on this site. thumb.gif I guess I better stop ribbin' you about that Nikon and those funky blues. I must have pushed you over the line. So Sorry.

Cheers

BMP

well that certainly wasn't my intention ne_nau.gif:D

and besides I'm only one toke over the line :lol4

that last one works very well actually thumb.gif
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    this is a suprise to me ne_nau.gif thats not you in the avatar headscratch.gif something new everday eek7.gif the first one looking away in the far away shot ,old looking not the clean and crisp shot but remember i do not do challenge, well almost never .can you not dress up as a bird maybe a parrot give it the forum feel :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    jwear wrote:
    .can you not dress up as a bird maybe a parrot give it the forum feel :D
    I egret to inform you that a parrot is out of the question. Ibis I could fly like those roudy little snowies. Did you tern Ben onto that loco weed he's been puffin? Tell him to sparrow us the sob storry for him acting like a loonatic. He's been a real stork.

I'm going to egrat posting this.....eek7.gif

49196246.jpg

**best Billy Idol impression**

"It's a nice day for a white wedding ....." **lip quiver**

Thanks for looking, Jeff.

Cheers guys.

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    Yep
    I meant something like that, just without PS. My personal understanding (I could be wrongne_nau.gif ) that there photo challenge is a photography challenge, not photoshop skills challenge. Of course, you can go wild with curves, etc, but I think there is a line..

And I still would like to see some sepia, especially if we're going WWII style:-)

Nice going so far!thumb.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    I would go with the treatment in #3. I find that most effective. The color shots don't work for me but the B&W versions are effective. I would shoot it again because I'm not crazy about your pose it seems posed and not natural. Plus I love the idea of you going out in your WWII flying outift in the middle of a hot day while you neighbors call the police in horror about this lunatic loose in their neighborhood. rolleyes1.gif

One of the reasons the colors shots don't work is that the blue in the sky has no oomph. I'll have Ben PM you a tutorial on that. :lol4
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    Thanks Harry & Nik. I didn't boost the blues in an attempt to make them accurate and not stylized like the "Blues Brothers" do. :D I am not sure I care to reshoot these...as it's really hot again. Besides....there have been rumblings from the neighbors. I received a package on the door step today. It was a very strange white flight suit. For some reason the sleeves were really really long and tied in back??ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gifthumb.gif

So do you like the "traditional" portraits...or the old camera viewfinder image of pilot?

Here are a few I reworked in PS for the sepia tone. Used the photo filters ---Sepia filter setting. Not sure if I boosted them too much? WHat do you think? Too much sepia toning?

Thanks again for looking and input.

49225785.jpg

49225786.jpg

BMP (Blind Mustang Pilot)
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Good photos, and great creativity. I think I like # 2 the best, and I don't believe the sepia works for these photos.

Sam
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    Thanks Harry & Nik. I didn't boost the blues in an attempt to make them accurate and not stylized like the "Blues Brothers" do. icon10.gif
    That's why they look so unreal. roflol.gif
    So do you like the "traditional" portraits...or the old camera viewfinder image of pilot?

Here are a few I reworked in PS for the sepia tone. Used the photo filters ---Sepia filter setting. Not sure if I boosted them too much? WHat do you think? Too much sepia toning?

Thanks again for looking and input.
    I like the "traditional" portraits the best. I gotta tell you calling some pics of a dude in WWII garb "traditional" ain't easy. icon10.gif

These are gimmicky and when you add the rnagefinder to it it becomes a gimmick on top of a gimmick and its a bit too much. Same for the sepia treatment. The B&W shots work very effectively.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited September 14, 2005
    Thanks guys. I've never been a fan of sepia prints. I thought I'd give them a try ne_nau.gif I've always liked B&W myself. I need to greatly improve my color to B&W conversion skills. I'm in the dark . rolleyes1.gif

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    I like the blk and white best, it suits the era well. Also, the posing, that doesn't bother me as posing seemed all over as I remember movies and stuff of that time.

But I hate the pose where you are looking at the viewer. I absolutely hate it! It looks weak, in a time where everyone looked handsome and strong, ideally. You do look handsome and strong in the first shot, for instance. Would be a good ad for a movie, or enlistment, or a dance at the where ever they danced in those days.

The sepia sucks, sorry, you have been nicer to me than that. But I love sepia, just hate that sepia. Fortunately, sepia is not good for that photo, done that way, of that era, IMO.

If you have to look at us, I would prefer a closed mouth, unless a big silly grin which wouldn't work either.

Sorry, I don't mean to be "mean". Early morning, maybe.

Love that first one!

ginger
    Hi Ginger,

Thanks for the thrashin......ughm comments. eek7.gifumph.gif:D I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.
    ginger_55 wrote:

But I hate the pose where you are looking at the viewer. I absolutely hate it! It looks weak, in a time where everyone looked handsome and strong,
    ginger
    :uhoh That snowy egret hairdo shot wasn't going to be used. It's a bit fowl...I'll admit. rolleyes1.gif I'm kidding. I will take your selection into account. It's kind of funny how different people love or hate that shot. Laughing.gif. You know...if I was "really handsome"...I'd be in front of the camera....NOT BEHIND IT. thumb.gif What I can't figure out is....why don't I pick up the ladies when I go out in my flight gear on Friday night? eek7.gif Must be them squinty eyes..eh Ben? blbl.gif
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The sepia sucks, sorry, you have been nicer to me than that. But I love sepia, just hate that sepia. Fortunately, sepia is not good for that photo, done that way, of that era, IMO.
    Why don't you tell me how you really feel? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif Point taken...again. I didn't like them either. I've never really liked toned prints. Especially browns/sepia. Yuk. Did want to try that approach....just to see if it "might" fly. I'm not disagreeing with you....but I think sepia was popular in the 40s? I'll double check with Harry, Ben and Jeff. I'm sure they remember that far back....well. rolleyes1.gif
    Sorry, I don't mean to be "mean". Early morning, maybe.
    That's alright. No problem or hurt feelings. If it doesn't fly it will crash. thumb.gif Go get that cup of coffee....fast. :D I spent the better part of 5 years in college receiving several critics a week.....on my art/photos/design projects. I've got really thick tan skin at this point. rolleyes1.gif No ruffling my feathers for your comments. Thanks.

Cheers
    BMP (back to the drawing board (camera))
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    36020512-M.jpg

Just FYI Birdman, this is the kind of sepia I like. Very understated. The one you used was too orange, IMO.

Yes, it is funny the diff reactions to that other photo. Smile.

I gotta get ready to be somewhere,

later,

ginger

(how are the backyard birds??) Did you scare them away?
    ginger_55 wrote:

(how are the backyard birds??) Did you scare them away?
    ** see photos above....especially the bird hair one **

Dohh. Now...what do you think? rolleyes1.gif I tried to scare them up your way for a bit. Please send them back when you are done. thumb.gif

Thanks for correcting that poorly sepia toned shot. I'm sure I boosted the sepia effect too much. Honestly...I can't tell the brown tint to yours? Probably why mine were so orange. I used the effect at 100% eek7.gif It's the only way I noticed it. ne_nau.gif Anywho....I'm not going to use the sepia toned ones anyway. Still have a couple more cards up my sleeve. thumb.gif

Cheers

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    Well, we tried...
    I think I like the #1 b/w better. I actually meant some "other sepia pp", maybe towards WWI era - you know, those manually retouched one, when photogs actually used razors to fix the print..

Anyway, you seem to get a good collection now, definitely something to choose from:-)thumb.gif