Ch.47 RAAF Pilot

2»

Comments

• Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    Yes we did try, Nick. Don't know if I'll get to the couple other ideas I had. So as of now....I think this will be the one I'm going with. So...if you don't mind..again...what do you think? More in particular....the B&W treatment. Too contrasty? Not enough? Too much sharpening? Exposure? Trying to get a feel for the technical aspect of the shot. Thanks again for your time and comments.

Regards

BMP

Captured Pilot 09/11/05

49296354.jpg

or do you think the B&W treatment and other parameters are better on this one (yeah...different size image..)

49256921.jpg

Still kind of like this shot....but needs a bit of work. Nobody like this "gimmicky" (according to Harry) shot? ne_nau.gifbncry.gifyelrotflmao.gif

49186008.jpg

What I had hoped to do...was get lucky and have the two WWII bombers that visit our local airport...be here this week. Don't think it's going to happen. I wanted to set up the camera in the rear of the B-17 bomber and then shoot a series of shots to layer. Using a handful of different (appropriate) flight gear of the various crew members (pilot, co-pilot, navigator, bombardier, etc.). Of course they all would have been ME. thumb.gif WOuld have done it in B&W. Think this might have been interesting. The pilot/co-pilot would be peaking backwards from around the cockpit wall (sitting in their chairs). The others looking back at the camera in different poses from their appropriate stations. Oh well... will put this on the "to do someday" list. WOuld have also loved to have access to a P-51D mustang. icon10.gificon10.gif Another for the "to do" list.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    I'd say I like the second/smaller one better
    Dunno why though.. Just seems better:-)

The bomber shots idea sounds cool, well, you can't have it all:-)

Good luck!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Thanks Nik,

I kind of like the 2nd one also. I don't know why I can't seem to reproduce that effect. My bad for cropping first. I think I converted a small color version? Oh well..back to the PS drawing board to figure this out. Seems like the 1st image (large) is too bright..harsh? Needs to be a bit darker...more mid tones?

Thanks again.

Mike
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Thanks Nik,

I kind of like the 2nd one also. I don't know why I can't seem to reproduce that effect. My bad for cropping first. I think I converted a small color version? Oh well..back to the PS drawing board to figure this out. Seems like the 1st image (large) is too bright..harsh? Needs some be a bit darker...more mid tones?

Thanks again.

Mike
    I think it's a bit overblown, at least on the upper part of the face. Kinda makes it flat along with the background..

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    i like that last one, the gimmicky one with the camera.

don't know why, but I do.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited September 16, 2005
    Thanks Nik & Ginger. I never thought this would be so difficult for me to choose a self portrait. When I've shot other subject matter.....I've never really had a problem picking a shot. I know right away what bird shot I like or would use in a contest. Same for the abstract stuff. This is a little googy.:uhoh

I do have a tough time deciding between the regular pilot pose or the "gimmicky" camera viewfinder shot. I look at the other entries and that doesn't really help me make a choice. Many good shots postedd already. Most have some sort of "gimmick" or PS work. Makes me wonder if I follow suit....or head down a different path? Anywhooooo.....time is running out. I'm going to narrow this down to a couple/3 shots and then see (if I have not tired you all out of looking at my mug)...which one gets the most positive responses.

I'm having a terrible time deciding on my B&W conversion/PP selection. I suppose I could close my eyes and pick one.....and it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. Instead of plastering the same old mug shot up here again....I'm just going to post a link to the gallery which has 4 new PP versions (last 4...1st one is from above) of the favored pose. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/pilot

Any help on how to get the Exif info posted from Pbase.com would be helpful. I've read the Dgrin info...and seem to be doing something wrong.ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

**I just entered one of the photos...because I'm going to swap out some RAM memory modules on the 'puter. I didn't want to go through all this work on the self portrait and not get an entry... incase I blow up my machine. rolleyes1.gif Fear not...it can be changed **

Regards

Mike
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com