Walking With His Girl

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited December 17, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Walking with 'his girl' while I was taking photos.

1 --

1124409943_PjRa9-L.jpg

2 --

1124409913_EbKqL-L.jpg

3 --

1123486876_wuzfB-L.jpg

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Very nice use of negative space there, Mary. thumb.gif I wish you could have given the image some more texture on the snow. mwink.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    Very nice use of negative space there, Mary. thumb.gif I wish you could have given the image some more texture on the snow. mwink.gif

Hi,

Wish I could of given the snow more texture too :D but there was none to be had unfortunately. Out where I was the only texture were parts of the gravel road you can see in the photo, stubble from corn cut down and then some dirt peaking through the snow. That just looked like dark dust bunnies rolleyes1.gif Most everything I could see was flat snow, fog and more flat snow.

My choice to stop wasn't the best place to stop. The road was almost completely covered with snow which made driving it not the best situation to be in. Wasn't even a ditch to go into .. that was filled level with the road eek7.gif

I did take a photo of a distant fence with some corn stubble sticking up. Having a hard time editing it because of the fog and sky. Some day when my skills are better I'll get it right and post it :D

jiro .. out here there's a whole lot of negative space and when winter arrives .. the negative space only seems more 'negative' :D

Thanks for your input. I always like knowing where I can improve.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Hi,

Wish I could of given the snow more texture too :D but there was none to be had unfortunately. Out where I was the only texture were parts of the gravel road you can see in the photo, stubble from corn cut down and then some dirt peaking through the snow. That just looked like dark dust bunnies rolleyes1.gif Most everything I could see was flat snow, fog and more flat snow.

My choice to stop wasn't the best place to stop. The road was almost completely covered with snow which made driving it not the best situation to be in. Wasn't even a ditch to go into .. that was filled level with the road eek7.gif

I did take a photo of a distant fence with some corn stubble sticking up. Having a hard time editing it because of the fog and sky. Some day when my skills are better I'll get it right and post it :D

jiro .. out here there's a whole lot of negative space and when winter arrives .. the negative space only seems more 'negative' :D

Thanks for your input. I always like knowing where I can improve.

You are already that good, Mary. It's hard to incorporate negative space properly in composing an image. But in your case you really made it a big part of your vision and I have to commend you for that. My initial reaction on the first image was about the friendship bond between the dog and his master. Next one would be about uncertainty wherein they are walking together but in no definite direction because there are no road cues to gaze upon. That is the beauty of a strong image - you create a reaction from your audience and you did that. It was smart of you to stop and take these shots. My request for some textures is not of a negative comment. It was more like an idea to make the image stronger (though I have no idea how bad that snowfall was. Laughing.gif!). I say it again "these are all great shots." clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 14, 2010
    I think #1 is wonderful. clap.gifclap.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Bravo, Mary. Great series....especially # 1. I love how they're walking away from you....like they're walking into the abyss.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    I like number #1 also. Especially since I live on a gravel road, it has been snowing off and on for two weeks, and my neighbor walks his dog passed my house every morning.... and I never thought to go out and get a picture. Shame on me! :cry Thanks for the wake up call.
    edited December 14, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    You are already that good, Mary. It's hard to incorporate negative space properly in composing an image. But in your case you really made it a big part of your vision and I have to commend you for that. My initial reaction on the first image was about friendship bond between the dog and "his/her" master. Next one would be about uncertainty wherein they are walking together but in no definite direction because there are no road cues to gaze upon. That is the beauty of a strong image - you create a reaction from your audience and you did that. It was smart of you to stop and take these shots. My request for some textures is not of a negative comment. It was more like an idea to make the image stronger (though I have no idea how bad that snowfall was. Laughing.gif!). I say it again "these are all great shots." clap.gifclapclap.gif

I know you weren't being negative in your suggestion :D I love suggestions, but wish I could of obliged you and I with it.

There just wasn't anything to add to the shot since there wasn't anything there. Fog gave it a "white out" look.

I was hoping to represent the vastness of our state and for you not to see any road cues then I succeeded :D That's how our winter will look some days out in the country.

Keep helping me out :Dthumb.gif
    edited December 14, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I think #1 is wonderful. clap.gifclap.gif

Thank you Richard :D
    edited December 14, 2010
    Bravo, Mary. Great series....especially # 1. I love how they're walking away from you....like they're walking into the abyss.

Take care,

Tom

It did seem like an abyss out there. Even tho I knew exactly where I was it was a little scary.

Glad you liked them .. #1 is my favorite too :D
    edited December 14, 2010
    WernerG wrote: »
    I like number #1 also. Especially since I live on a gravel road, it has been snowing off and on for two weeks, and my neighbor walks his dog passed my house every morning.... and I never thought to go out and get a picture. Shame on me! :cry Thanks for the wake up call.

Go out and get that picture :D Your neighbor would love a print of it too :D

I was hoping they would of walked further away from me, but it was cold, windy and the temp was in the minuses with the windchill.

Post your shot after you take it .. would love to see it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Howdy Mary,

Really a wonderful and touching series, I love all the white and then
    the colors of Ty and That Guy also the last one really show well and
    love the expression on her face.

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • NewEnglandMomentsNewEnglandMoments Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    I love em ... the phrase High Key comes to mind... nice!!
    Please Do Not Edit My Images/or Use Without Permission..
    edited December 14, 2010
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Mary,

Really a wonderful and touching series, I love all the white and then
    the colors of Ty and That Guy<g> also the last one really show well and
    love the expression on her face.

Very nicely done!!!

Thanks Craig :D

</g>
    edited December 14, 2010
    I love em ... the phrase High Key comes to mind... nice!!

Thank you :D

ND winters are a natural High Key photo :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Wonderful series, Mary!! I first thought I'd choose #1 as my favorite, but the longer I looked at them the more I decided I like #2. I think it's the touch--one of the most beautiful experiences in the world to me is petting my dogs. You have really captured that for me in your second shot. As for #1, didn't you shoot something similar in summer last year, with your hubby wearing shorts? I'm not sure if it was your shot, but I remember a very hilarious thread about men's choices in clothing!

I am so glad you shared these with us. I think they are some of your very best work indeed!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    Wonderful series, Mary!! I first thought I'd choose #1 as my favorite, but the longer I looked at them the more I decided I like #2. I think it's the touch--one of the most beautiful experiences in the world to me is petting my dogs. You have really captured that for me in your second shot. As for #1, didn't you shoot something similar in summer last year, with your hubby wearing shorts? I'm not sure if it was your shot, but I remember a very hilarious thread about men's choices in clothing!

I am so glad you shared these with us. I think they are some of your very best work indeed!

Lauren

Mary, great captures. I love the wide open white with focus on the hub walking the dog. Very nicely done.

Lauren,

What are you talking about men's choice in clothing? We always choose the perfect outfit for all occasions. I can't imagine ever being out of fashion. :Drolleyes1.gif
    edited December 14, 2010

Lauren

Yes that was me -- I did post a photo with my hubby walking the dogs wearing 'his' choice of clothing rolleyes1.gif

The 'touch' to a dog and his master .. it's all about the touch iloveyou.gif We do love our dogs wings.gif

Thanks for your nice comments Lauren.
    edited December 14, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Mary, great captures. I love the wide open white with focus on the hub walking the dog. Very nicely done.

Lauren,

What are you talking about men's choice in clothing? We always choose the perfect outfit for all occasions. I can't imagine ever being out of fashion. :Drolleyes1.gif

Thank you Brad :D

***As for the choice in men's clothing .. I'll leave that to you and Lauren rolleyes1.gif
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Great job Mary K. I like um all but the first one is my favorite.clap.gif
    edited December 15, 2010
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Great job Mary K. I like um all but the first one is my favorite.clap.gif

Thank you -- that first one is my hubby's pick too :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Brad - You just had to be there. I'm sure the clothing discussion wasn't as funny as I recall.....and I'm sure your wardrobe is just fine. rolleyes1.gif

Mary, I hope we'll keep seeing your dog shots. It's obvious that this series has really spoken to people!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited December 16, 2010
    Brad - You just had to be there. I'm sure the clothing discussion wasn't as funny as I recall.....and I'm sure your wardrobe is just fine. rolleyes1.gif

Mary, I hope we'll keep seeing your dog shots. It's obvious that this series has really spoken to people!

There will be more dog shots .. she's my only breathing subject that likes the camera :D

As for the clothes .. it was funny rolleyes1.gif
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I echo all the others before me ... "I like 'em all ... well done ... number one is my favorite." Nits: #1 - I'd try a square crop and eliminate the tire tracks under the left arm of the human or possibly eliminate all road texture, #2 - Great use of negative space, I'd eliminate the right side road texture and maybe ... just maybe darken the remaining road texture just ever so slightly, #3 When next to the color images the B&W pales in comparison.

Gary

PS: We had temps in the mid 70's to mid 80's this week. :)
    G
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 17, 2010
    Very cool minimalism, Mary. thumb.gifthumb
    edited December 17, 2010
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    I echo all the others before me ... "I like 'em all ... well done ... number one is my favorite." Nits: #1 - I'd try a square crop and eliminate the tire tracks under the left arm of the human or possibly eliminate all road texture, #2 - Great use of negative space, I'd eliminate the right side road texture and maybe ... just maybe darken the remaining road texture just ever so slightly, #3 When next to the color images the B&W pales in comparison.

Gary

PS: We had temps in the mid 70's to mid 80's this week. :)
    G

Hi --

All your suggestions were wonderful. I looked over all your ideas and they are all good ones. I didn't even notice the hand meeting the road in the first photo. Looks funky now rolleyes1.gif

I will certainly try out your ideas soon. Setting up a computer right now .. my editing software isn't even downloaded yet.

You took a good look at them. Thank you :D

I envy all of you that are enjoying nice warm weather. Walking out of the house in shorts and a t-shirt while I'm wearing at least 10 lbs of clothing some days to just make it to the car without freezing :cry
    edited December 17, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Very cool minimalism, Mary. thumb.gifthumb

Thank you -- for some reason I'm finding that going as minimal as I can really can make a subject stand out. Winter helps with that too :D
    edited December 17, 2010
    I envy all of you that are enjoying nice warm weather. Walking out of the house in shorts and a t-shirt while I'm wearing at least 10 lbs of clothing some days to just make it to the car without freezing :cry

On the flip side ... I still gotta mow the yard.
    G
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited December 17, 2010
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    On the flip side ... I still gotta mow the yard.
    G

I'll mow it for you thumb.gifD
    edited December 17, 2010
    I'll mow it for you thumb.gifD

Laughing.gif ... I'm looking at the backyard beyond the un-groomed grass and ... I have roses blooming, orange Cosmos are bursting everywhere, a cymbidium has opened up, Flowering Maples, Nasturtiums, Geraniums, Bird-o-Paradise and Black-Eye Susans are all blooming ... oranges, lemons, tangerines, tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries, peppers, eggplant, avocados are now getting picked and consumed nearly daily and best of all there are Monarch caterpillars and a chrysalis hanging on the Milkweed. I love California ... but ... you have affordable housing.

Gary

PS- I'll leave the mower and edger out for you.
    G
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    all very good Mary - but i am a real fan of #2
    Devin