Options

meet the photographer series

2»

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    It depends on the sound editor you use. I did a phone interview with Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape and he was patched in on a multi line setup. His audio was really weak. I had to bump the volume up and then run noise reduction to get something transcribable, fortunately this is for print ad not pod casting.

So look at your filtering option in the sound editor you use.
    andy wrote:
    Bandit, do you know anything about improving the quality of a cr@ppy recording? I come thru fine on the file I've got, but Douglas' voice is weak and fades in/out.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Bandit, do you know anything about improving the quality of a cr@ppy recording? I come thru fine on the file I've got, but Douglas' voice is weak and fades in/out.
    I know enough to be dangerous :D but I work with a couple of guys who are much better with sound than I am. They have a whole suite of tools, but their tools of choice seem to be Peak and Logic Pro.

I'll be tied up in am bunch of meetings tomorrow, but I'll try to ask their advice tomorrow. And if I can't connect, I'll have an answer next week. But I suspect we may be able to do *something*.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I talked with the sound guys here and they believe that they can do something with it. But without actually having the file, they really can't tell me how long it will take or what can be done. But they're willing to sit down and work it with me.

Bottom line is they believe that we can do something to help.

So, do you have the file on a server anywhere that we can donload to check it out?
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Hello all...

I was just wondering how this was all coming along?ne_nau.gif

Thanks,

Lee
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 26, 2005
    Six Degrees of separation
    While we all patiently await Andy's interview with Douglas Kirkland I'd thought I'd share an interesting experience from Thursday.

I was enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with friends and finally met my friend Sylvia's new husband.

He was charming and entertaining and I discovered he's a photographer. As dinner was winding down I asked about his work and experience and I told him of my status as a frustrated hobbyist trying to get comfortable in this digital world.

We spoke for more than an hour about photography in general, living with digital, camera work vs. digtial darkroom, and my D70 (he was quite complimentary of all Nikon products, especially their glass).

He alluded to his career, teaching, writing etc but was really so unassuming and modest.

He offered a great deal of advice; strongly suggested ALWAYS shooting in RAW; various camera tricks and chided me to LEARN THE SOFTWARE :D

Friday morning I decided to look up his site. Wow was I surprised. So I did a web search for his name and find I was speaking with a true master of the field.

I can't wait for the next opportunity to speak with him. Who was it? His name is Vincent Versace. Some of you pros among us might know him. Those who don't might enjoy these:

www.versacephotography.com

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vincent+versace

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=vincent+versace&fr=ieas
  • Options
    OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Angelo -

Only 2 days ago i somehow ran into Vincent's website and was very impressed by his work. In fact, he's one of the photographers i have bookmarked.

What a treat to meet and chat with a photographer like him!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2005
    OneWayMule wrote:
    Angelo -

Only 2 days ago i somehow ran into Vincent's website and was very impressed by his work. In fact, he's one of the photographers i have bookmarked.

What a treat to meet and chat with a photographer like him!
    Indeed, it was a treat. His bios and the articles I read paint a very accomplished and creative man. Also very technically advanced.

I'm signed up for Nikon School in January but I'm also thinking of Vincent's Epson training.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    I was just curious as to how this project was coming along? Any updates?

Thanks,

Lee
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Improving a RECORDING
    Andy wrote:

Andy,

I always get this emails offering OEM software real cheap....tis how I got my CS...any way....Adobe Audition can be had for less than 100 but only for pc...if you need good recodings and on't have a pc to put audition on then look for a copy of Sound Forge/ w CD architect......gonna cost a ton tho..but hey it will be tax deduct also..so what the hey.

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    Hey Folks...
    Long story short ... The biggest problem that I couldn't really overcome was that Douglas was just slightly louder than the noise. I ended up using Soundsoap, Logic and Peak (all versions we have in our studio) in an attempt to get it as clean as possible, but I wasn't happy with the results.

I passed it back to Andy. But even as an mp3, it's like 60 meg. So I suspect that he's trying to figure out how to distribute it or even if it's good enough to distribute.

Hope that helps....
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Hi Bandit...

Thanks for the update and all the effort! thumb.gif

Lee
    Bandit959 wrote:
    Hey Folks...
    Long story short ... The biggest problem that I couldn't really overcome was that Douglas was just slightly louder than the noise. I ended up using Soundsoap, Logic and Peak (all versions we have in our studio) in an attempt to get it as clean as possible, but I wasn't happy with the results.

I passed it back to Andy. But even as an mp3, it's like 60 meg. So I suspect that he's trying to figure out how to distribute it or even if it's good enough to distribute.

Hope that helps....
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    For what it's worth, Apple has a great series about Pro Photographers. If you go to Apple's site and do a search of "Photo Pro", you'll come across a bunch of interesting articles. While some of the artciles are Mac product based (go figure), there is still some value in the articles. You can check out teh top level here.

http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/
    http://www.apple.com/pro/archive/index.html#prophoto

And a link to some of the articles are:
    http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/damico/
    http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/kalalian/
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    whatever happened to this great idea?
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Indeed, it was a treat. His bios and the articles I read paint a very accomplished and creative man. Also very technically advanced.

I'm signed up for Nikon School in January but I'm also thinking of Vincent's Epson training.

I just ran into this post Angelo. I'm so jealous!!! Vincent is the man! I took the Epson training class twice. It was so interesting and I learned so much and Vincent was the instructor. He is awesome and such a cool guy. Did you take the class yet? These classes are huge, as you might guess. At the end of the class he gave us his personal email addess in case we had any questions. He said it might take "a while" but he would answer. Well...I missed writing down some important info on Black and white conversions so I emailed him. He emailed me back with step-by-step instructions in less than 24 hours! He is also an awesome photographer. I highly recommend the Epson training for anyone interested in printing their own work. If you see Vincent again, tell him he has a fan!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    "Neutrons misfiring"--would they be FAST or THERMAL neutrons?
    athos wrote:
    whatever happened to this great idea?
    Steve-o
  • Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    Did this idea get ditched. I am very interested in a 'meet the photographer' series. A podcast would be ideal. I have recently looked at the work of Christopher morris and the vii collective of photojournalists. I'm very interested in thier insights. If this thread has become forgotten, should it still be a sticky?
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    Did this idea get ditched. I am very interested in a 'meet the photographer' series. A podcast would be ideal. I have recently looked at the work of Christopher morris and the vii collective of photojournalists. I'm very interested in thier insights. If this thread has become forgotten, should it still be a sticky?
    Chris has agreed to be interviewed, but can't seem to work it out in his schedule. I keep trying...
  • Options
    RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    a small request
    Hi Andy!

A few days ago I bumped into one of those meet the artist threads, and started to read it through. I stopped in the middle, and I cannot remember where it was... (my gold fish memory, cannot even remember his name... ne_nau.gif )

Can you please add a sticky with links to all the ongoing online interviews?

Thanks,
    Raz
    "Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
    approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    Raz wrote:
    Hi Andy!

A few days ago I bumped into one of those meet the artist threads, and started to read it through. I stopped in the middle, and I cannot remember where it was... (my gold fish memory, cannot even remember his name... ne_nau.gif )

Can you please add a sticky with links to all the ongoing online interviews?

Thanks,
    Raz

this IS the meet the photographer thread.