Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #67 (Glass)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited January 12, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #67

Welcome to Round #67 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, December 27, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, January 10, 2011, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -8). Note the ending Time change

The topic ready for your interpretation: Glass

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your main EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some recent modifications

Comments

• Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    This is a hard one. Glass does so much but is not usually the focal point of my image. I am running a thread for some feedback before I post my entry this time.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    This is a hard one. Glass does so much but is not usually the focal point of my image. I am running a thread for some feedback before I post my entry this time.

Sounds like a plan. Who would have thought something so common could be so challenging. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    I entered an edited Photo. The Information seems to not be complete. I did crop and create new file via Photoshop, Is there enough info. or is there a better way I should have done this to have the Camera Info. follow with the edited image? kwickers - The Window Wash

It was in the step of creating the "new" photoshop file that stripped your EXIF info. If you would have just done your edits on a new layer and then after flattening it would still have the original EXIF info intact. Yes you will need to resubmit your entry because the EXIF info is imperative. deal.gif
  • Options
    cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Also, do not use the 'Save For Web' feature in Photoshop as this will strip the exif data no matter what method you use to edit the image.
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Fixed. Thanks. Keith
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Well, I haven't had much time lately, and won't for the rest of this week, so I got my entry uploaded this evening. Thanks, Sean, good, yet difficult subject.
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    A lot of creativity this round
    Awesome job on the entries thus far. good work.thumb.gif
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Ok, I'm in. Hardest decision ever! Great challenge topic!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Ok, I'm in. Hardest decision ever! Great challenge topic!

I hear you. I couldn't decide among yours - all great shots!
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I still haven't got the slightest idea for this challenge, yet! headscratch.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    ne_nau.gif you would think it would be clear

ok I admit that one was baaaad 1148181642_EoBgf-O.gif
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    I thought it was a cracking challenge. ;)
  • Options
    jberenbajberenba Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    just a question for challenges....must every entry be taken the week of the challenge?
    Critiques always wanted and accepted.
    Say what you mean. Mean what you say.
    Joel Berenbaum
    http://joelberenbaum.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    jberenba wrote: »
    just a question for challenges....must every entry be taken the week of the challenge?

Yes, each entry must be taken with the two weeks of the challenge.

If you want to enter a challenge where dates do not matter then the mini challenge is a better fit. :D
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    Question to Sean, please
    Hi,

I haven't participated for a while in the contests, but last night I found an interesting image, peeking trough a bar window:

1151284087_QLK7M-M.jpg

I thought I may try to enter it to the glass contest, but being taken trough a window, it appears like having a frame... headscratch.gif

Will it be OK, or disqualified?

Thanks,
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    That is a tough one. It most certainly is a frame and therefore not qualified. If you crop the black edges off leaving just the two horizontal lines then it would work within the rules.
    photo-bug wrote: »
    Will it be OK, or disqualified?

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    That is a tough one. It most certainly is a frame and therefore not qualified. If you crop the black edges off leaving just the two horizontal lines then it would work within the rules.

Thanks. I will not enter than.

Tatiana
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    That is too bad. I think it would be a strong entry.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011

really!?
    You can't take a photo that has a frame around it, a real frame?!
    I always thought it meant a digital frame one adds to the shot.
    So you can't have an actual window frame?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011

Not without the window frame. It will be like my apples on green background instead of black
    - but not a big deal at all.
    - I don't really have to participate in the contests - I'm happy enough uploading my photos into the dailies.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    Not without the window frame. It will be like my apples on green background instead of black
    - I don't really have to participate in the contests - I'm happy enough uploading my photos into the dailies.

Well I'm not about to change the frame rule near the end of the challenge. If I had thought of it before I posted the challenge I certainly could have changed the frame rule for this round, but changing it now would not be fair to everyone else who has already entered.

You make it sound as if I am inhibiting your creativity by enforcing a rule that has been in place since the beginning of DSS and even before that. This challenge is here to do just that, challenge you. If you feel that your artistic visions do not fit within the relatively loose requirements, then that is certainly your choice not to participate. I am sorry you feel that way.
    really!?
    You can't take a photo that has a frame around it, a real frame?!
    I always thought it meant a digital frame one adds to the shot.
    So you can't have an actual window frame?

Yes really!
    It has always been quite a fine line that has been crossed over many times and I always look at on a per case basis. Natural frames are fine to a point but in the case of Tatiana's image and also kdotaylor's image, these are both getting very close to what could be done in post to accentuate the frame and therefore I have decided they do not fit within the rule.

In the future it is always best to ask just like Tatiana has done before assuming it will be accepted. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    Yes really!
    It has always been quite a fine line that has been crossed over many times and I always look at on a per case basis. Natural frames are fine to a point but in the case of Tatiana's image and also kdotaylor's image, these are both getting very close to what could be done in post to accentuate the frame and therefore I have decided they do not fit within the rule.

In the future it is always best to ask just like Tatiana has done before assuming it will be accepted. deal.gif

Eve though the image has the exif showing that no artificial frame has b been added?

Sorry, but what exactly has to be accepted here? - the image is exactly as I took it, with nothing added to it.

http://allbiz.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=1151284087&ImageKey=QLK7M
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    Eve though the image has the exif showing that no artificial frame has b been added?

Sorry, but what exactly has to be accepted here? - the image is exactly as I took it, with nothing added to it.

http://allbiz.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=1150680959&ImageKey=rHjCS

The rule states frame, it is not specific about if it is an artificial or natural frame. In the end it is up to the "moderator" to decide how to interpret if an entry is disqualified or not.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    The rule states frame, it is not specific about if it is an artificial or natural frame. In the end it is up to the "moderator" to decide how to interpret if an entry is disqualified or not.

There is nothing to interpret here - this is the original image.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011

I thought it wasn't a big deal ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    X2! Tatiana...that is a very artistic image! In fact, for me, it needs no frame around it, and if it were a piece for sale the dark space would detract from it.

I seem to miss a lot of the discourse round these parts sometimes. But the frame thing is well discussed by some very decent artists in their own right, early on (The link is in our rules). They gave great reasons for steering clear of frames. As an artist I am rarely swayed by others opinions on a general plane, but their rationale made good-critical sense.

Tatiana, I hope you reconsider that nice potential entry.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    I thought it wasn't a big deal ne_nau.gif

Yes, it is not a big deal if you don't let me participate, but this doesn't mean that I have to accept a nonsense.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    X2! Tatiana...that is a very artistic image! In fact, for me, it needs no frame around it, and if it were a piece for sale the dark space would detract from it.

I seem to miss a lot of the discourse round these parts sometimes. But the frame thing is well discussed by some very decent artists in their own right, early on (The link is in our rules). They gave great reasons for steering clear of frames. As an artist I am rarely swayed by others opinions on a general plane, but their rationale made good-critical sense.

Tatiana, I hope you reconsider that nice potential entry.

Thank you Tom for your participation here - I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean though - do you think
    that image would be nicer cropped? I tried it and didn't like it at all.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    Yes, it is not a big deal if you don't let me participate, but this doesn't mean that I have to accept a nonsense.

Then why did you ask the question in the first place if you thought that it would not violate the rules ne_nau.gif which I have already stated that it has. I am not about to be bullied into changing a rule for one person.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    Then why did you ask the question in the first place if you thought that it would not violate the rules ne_nau.gif which I have already stated that it has. I am not about to be bullied into changing a rule for one person.

I asked because I know there was an issue with frames.

However, this is not about what I thought, it's about a real fact - the image is ORIGINAL - no frame added, and no rule has to be changed at all, since no frame has been added.
    Travelways.com