Givewaway Time! Tenba Bag, Canon 60D, Canon 70-300L!

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 10, 2011 in Cameras

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    And those of us who don't FB are left out in the cold. Nice.... Some are ol' school, please don't forget this Andy.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Seymore wrote: »
    And those of us who don't FB are left out in the cold. Nice.... Some are ol' school, please don't forget this Andy.

This had crossed my mind as well, but I think the world has started to move on. During the Super Bowl the majority of commercials did not list a website, they listed a Facebook page. I think many mainstream businesses are realizing that the place to be is Facebook. Be that good, or be that bad...

Not saying people should completely to Facebook, or that there is anything wrong with sticking to those old school guns...just that many of the future opportunities of the web are going to happen on social networking sites like Facebook, or Foursquare, or Twitter, or whatever the next big thing is.

Cheers! beer.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011

Sorry you feel that way, Seymore! It's free, costs you nothing, you can set privacy options and you don't have to friend anyone. Just "like" SmugMug's page - how hard is that? I simply cannot understand this argument.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    With the lure of a 70-300L I almost went over to the dark side. :cry

Sam
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Sorry you feel that way, Seymore! It's free, costs you nothing, you can set privacy options and you don't have to friend anyone. Just "like" SmugMug's page - how hard is that? I simply cannot understand this argument.

It does cost.

If you can't see the cost it's because you're the product being sold.

I don't like being marketed or sold. I can do my own marketing, thank you.
    edited February 8, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    It does cost.

Yup, and nobody is forcing you to enter :) it's totally your choice, thanks!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Just "like" SmugMug's page - how hard is that? I simply cannot understand this argument.

At the Risk of sounding like a FB fan boy......

I ain't hard! And it doesn't cost ya a thing! In fact, Fb is where I get lots of info about corporate give-aways, deals and all sorts of goodies.

SmugMug is a Huge fav of mine because they are always giving things away, linking to photographers they like and generally the SM FB page appears to be just this side of a party!

I've gotten pretty good a checkin' SM's FB page, but I'll say thanks (To Andy!) for posting here just in case for those of us that DO care!clap.gif

So......I just like free stuff!:D
    tom wise
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    See? I knew being a FB addict will pay off someday... :P
    edited February 8, 2011

Well, Andy.... It's not free, neither is my time and you're acting like I have nothing better to do with my time but to sign up to ANOTHER service. Well, why not offer it HERE? This is where the real photographers live. FB is just another gimmick (granted what society is selling) but I should not have to sign up for another service to play the game that SM is offering. What, SM "needs" FB to give stuff away? Please rethink this strategy. Outward appearance can make what is really happening behind closed doors look quite fishy.

It does cost.

Well stated! I concur! I hate it when one expectation leads to another, as such by SM. I already signed up here and don't see the sense in the requirement to sign up for another service where I don't attend regularly and have no need to sign up. So what if society expects this, do you do EVERYTHING that society expects? (rhetorical)

As for these offerings, SM is not looking good in my eyes when expectations require one to go beyond the original expectation. A bit biased IMPO.
    edited February 8, 2011
    Well, why not offer it HERE? This is where the real photographers live. FB is just another gimmick

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

We have awesome photogs on Dgrin, yes. And many, many of them also are on Facebook, as well as world-famous ones, too.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Life-Foundation/154399394571751

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andybiggstx

http://www.facebook.com/#!/DawnMcCarthyPhotography

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1373513949

http://www.facebook.com/#!/treyratcliff

I could go on and on and on but you get the point. Facebook, 500,000,000 and growing. We're focusing a lot of our news delivery and other stuff via this amazing business channel.
    Seymore wrote:
    Outward appearance can make what is really happening behind closed doors look quite fishy.
    Hey Seymore, I don't understand this backhanded statement, can you please state what you mean in plain English? And if you're making an accusation, then do so with something to back it up.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Yup, and nobody is forcing you to enter :) it's totally your choice, thanks!

Wasn't gonna enter, Andy. Was just correcting your statement that FB is "free." :D Am still waiting for you to start offering these giveaways on dgrin.com, where I'd prefer to see them and which really is "free."
    edited February 8, 2011
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

We have awesome photogs on Dgrin, yes. And many, many of them also are on Facebook, as well as world-famous ones, too.

So, if I join SM, FB, Twitter and all the other you want me to join, that will make me a PRO? Sorry Andy, your mentality doesn't fly and your excuse seems as just that.... an excuse, to justify the ends. You'll have to do better than that!

I could go on and on and on but you get the point. Facebook, 500,000,000 and growing. We're focusing a lot of our news delivery and other stuff via this amazing business channel.

Hey Seymore, I don't understand this backhanded statement, can you please state what you mean in plain English? And if you're making an accusation, then do so with something to back it up.

What, you don't have a site where you can report the "news"? You want everyone to get lost in FB? So what if I'm 500,000,001, maybe I don't want to! Ever think of that in the staff meeting where you decide the offering for these free items?

What a farce Andy, and a poor representation of marketing you express.
    And to reiterate (with the chance of sounding like a skipping record.... remember those?)...
    "And those of us who don't FB are left out in the cold. Nice...."

"Well, why not offer it HERE? This is where the real photographers live and learn."
    edited February 8, 2011
    So, if I join SM, FB, Twitter and all the other you want me to join, that will make me a PRO? Sorry Andy, your mentality doesn't fly and your excuse seems as just that.... an excuse, to justify the ends. You'll have to do better than that!

Now you're baiting and being silly, I never said any such thing.

What, you don't have a site where you can report the "news"? You want everyone to get lost in FB? So what if I'm 500,000,001, maybe I don't want to! Ever think of that in the staff meeting where you decide the offering for these free items?
    We do. http://news.smugmug.com and we promote the posts on FB & Twitter, because that's where so many people are.

And to reiterate (with the chance of sounding like a skipping record.... remember those?)...

"Well, why not offer it HERE? This is where the real photographers live and learn."

If you don't Like the facebook page you don't get to be in on it. Sorry ne_nau.gif

Seymore, you clearly aren't gonna go there. I'm not going to argue on this anymore with you. Have a nice day thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2011
    One last thing... Seems to me that SM marketing is backwards and upside down. The FB page should be drawing people to SM and DGRIN, not the other way around. This is where the stuff SM offers are truly appreciated. Again... me thinks that it's time for a marketing re-hash or re-training.

EOT...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    One last thing... Seems to me that SM marketing is backwards and upside down. The FB page should be drawing people to SM and DGRIN, not the other way around. This is where the stuff SM offers is truly appreciated. Again... me thinks that it's time for a marketing re-hash or re-training.
    Good lord, man! Get a grip. No bag for you!!! rolleyes1.gif

When you start a site that's more successful than dgrin and smugmug, then maybe you'll be able to speak with credibility on marketing approaches. Until then... ne_nau.gif
    edited February 8, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    No bag for you!!!

lol3.gif or lens or camera! This is a big one deal.gif

the_soup_nazi.jpg
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    even I have neared the conclusion I will have to join FB

rolleyes1.gif

umph.gif

:boid
    gerg.gif
    :puke

the changing face of communications....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/08/email-use-teens_n_820121.html

edited February 8, 2011
    Angelo wrote: »

My kids (24, 23, 19, 11) all FB me when they want something. My trainer (late 20s) only texts or FBs me. Definitely a sea-change happening before us.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I already signed up here and don't see the sense in the requirement to sign up for another service where I don't attend regularly and have no need to sign up.

There's no requirement, Seymore. Don't do it.

I'm kind of floored that you would turn a generous giveaway on the part of SmugMug into some nefarious and underhanded scheme. They're giving stuff away. They get to choose the venue. Participate or don't. End of story.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • TheDirtyLensTheDirtyLens Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2011
    Heck I hate facebook myself.. but I still use it.. it is a great way to get out information and connect with people, and increase awareness. I'm trying to find ways to use it better myself.. even though I hate it..

Hey if people don't want to play by the rules, then don't.. But don't expect to win then. They are giving something away for free - I say they can do that any way they feel like, including using that dang Facebook.. It's a great way to draw attention to the products (SmugMug and the camera bags)thumb.gif

I'm in...
    edited February 8, 2011
    Angelo wrote: »
    even I have neared the conclusion I will have to join FB

the changing face of communications....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/08/email-use-teens_n_820121.html

The ironic thing is that this link goes to The Huffington Post, which was just purchased by AOL yesterday. Who also happens to own many other content sights such as lifehacker.com, engadget.com, etc...

I also rarely email, as with Facebook it is easier to send out group messages. I also don't get spam messages on my FB. (However, my Facebook News Feed is another story!)

I'm sure 15 years ago people probably felt the same way about having to get involved with email for business when the telephone still worked perfectly fine. Times change, business changes, communication changes...

Here's to hoping my lucky number gets rolled on this giveaway! wings.gif
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I am entering. My 5D Mark II won't turn on amyore :(

Hopefully its just water that'll dry out and it will be happy again, haha. I went out in the blizzard with it, although it worked for 2 days afterward.
    edited February 8, 2011
    I am entering. My 5D Mark II won't turn on amyore :(

Hopefully its just water that'll dry out and it will be happy again, haha. I went out in the blizzard with it, although it worked for 2 days afterward.

Put it into a plastic container with some rice in the bottom, the camera sitting on something to keep it out of the rice, and the seal the lid. The rice will help to draw the moisture out of the air in the container and dry the camera out quicker before any corrosion can happen, hopefully.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    It does cost.

Sorry but you do realize you're marketed and sold every time you use a credit card, debit card, coupon, discount card, etc.? FB isn't the first and certainly won't be the last to capitalize on us from personal information.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011

Wow! Quite upset at SM for giving something away! Not sure I follow your reasoning...

You're angry at SM because they're giving something away for free but, in order to participate in the giveaway, you have to join FB. Ok, you don't like FB, that's your choice, just like it's SM's choice to do the giveaway via FB.

Lasts time I checked, FB has 500 MILLION subscribers. Not sure what DGrinn has in the way of subscribers but I'll go out on a limb here and make a wild guess that it's something less than 500 million. So, with this being understood, not sure why you feel it makes more sense for SM to market to fewer people when they can easily market to a much larger audience for free.

If you don't like it being offered there, I can understand, but to attack SM because that's where they choose to do the giveaway makes absolutely no sense. It makes even LESS sense to attack their marketing since (obviously) it makes more sense for them to market via FB if you go on the sheer numbers of potential people in that audience.
  • JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Almost 1700 comments in about 6 hours... and it shows up on all of those people's friends' news feeds too... I'd call that effective marketing....

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    edited February 8, 2011
    SmugMug ought to do a test, do 2 giveaways with the exact same things in them. One on FB and on on DGrin. See what the differences in response are.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Definitely a sea-change happening before us.

Choices..You get choices in this lifetime. There is huge affinity for nostalgia, history or the Old-School Way. But to not welcome change, to not grow is to be left behind and celebrated (if at all), as a part of the past.

FB is in mid stream, it won't be too long before it'll be on the down-slide and another will find it's way to the top and if you really really want to connect with the young you have to be waiting at that door to open it for them, or at least get in the sled a ride with 'em, celebrate with them and be a part.

Cheers!
    tom wise
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011

I iloveyou.gif Smugmug
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    It's interesting that the arguments in favor of Facebook all come down to - "500,000,000 people use it!" Didn't mom say something about people jumping off of a bridge?

Facebook has some of the most heinous corporate practices of any company in the modern era. They unashamedly sell your private information and violate their own terms of service regularly.

But - it's a free country. Lots of people choose to sign up for Facebook. A handful of us choose not to. If Smugmug chooses to run a contest on Facebook only, we don't get to participate. That's the price we pay for choosing not to be involved with Facebook. I'm not sure we should ask or expect Smugmug to ignore a venue with 99% of their customers (and millions of potential customers) for the sake of a venue (DGrin) that probably involves <20% of their customers and almost 0 potential customers.

My two cents are always free. :)
This discussion has been closed.