Givewaway Time! Tenba Bag, Canon 60D, Canon 70-300L!

Comments

• HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    ...Facebook has some of the most heinous corporate practices of any company in the modern era. They unashamedly sell your private information and violate their own terms of service regularly.

But - it's a free country. ...

Yes it is. I was all set to sign up for SmugMug but it is their using Facebook exclusively for their promotions that changed my mind.

...C'est la vie.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Howzit wrote: »
    Yes it is. I was all set to sign up for SmugMug but it is their using Facebook exclusively for their promotions that changed my mind.

...C'est la vie.
    Ack! Sorry about that :( We actually have done promos through Twitter, too, if that helps. And we've given away $25,000 in prizes here on Dgrin in past years, and continue to giveaway prizes every month in our shots contests. Hope you'll reconsider!
  • uncreativeuncreative Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I'm confused. are we supposed to 'like' smugmug, or comment on the post to enter? if we're to comment on a post, which post, since there seem to be two posts referred to and a confusing link. i guess this means i'm officially old.

ne_nau.gif

ok, figured it out, angevin1 knows whats up!. i'll reserve my opinion of FB for another thread.
  • newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I tried to "like" or comment, but couldnt. Did I already miss it?
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    newb wrote: »
    I tried to "like" or comment, but couldnt. Did I already miss it?

Just like their page first, and then comment on the original thread!:D
    tom wise
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I just want to say thank you smugmug for the giveaways. I look forward to each and every post with the hopes of winning. Please don't let the few naysayers persuade you to stop the giveaways before I win one :D
  • newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Just like their page first, and then comment on the original thread!:D

Worked like a charm lol. Thanks!
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Choices..You get choices in this lifetime. There is huge affinity for nostalgia, history or the Old-School Way. But to not welcome change, to not grow is to be left behind and celebrated (if at all), as a part of the past.

I just want to point out that there is a endless number of reasons why some dont become members of facebook.
    For me it is not "old-school", "nostalgia", or being resistant to change, and not as much about them selling personal data (there are ways around that all), but for me, has to do with my own personal standards. If I signed up for facebook it would be a really bad thing, and facebook does turn into a problem for many people. All one needs to do is look at the rising number of cases of social anxiety inorder to realize how harmful these type of sites can be for a large percentage of people. Many people go as far as to substitute all face to face social contact with social networking.

Not saying that it is the norm, but just saying that it can be harmful for many, and not everyone is able, or should be a member, for various reasons.

If it ever becomes a requirement that I become a member of facebook to be able to use smugmug fully, then I would just switch to one of the various other sites, but I sure hope it never comes to that
    Todd - My Photos
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    It's interesting that the arguments in favor of Facebook all come down to - "500,000,000 people use it!" Didn't mom say something about people jumping off of a bridge? rolleyes1.gif

You are correct, however, when it comes to business and advertising/marketing, you have to jump off a few bridges to keep up with the sheep... ;)
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    I just want to point out that there is a endless number of reasons why some dont become members of facebook.

And there are endless numbers of reasons why people do join FB. Seems like quite a few more people have decided to join rather than not to join. To each his (or her) own for sure but I can understand why SM would choose to use FB as a medium to get the word it. It is (by far) the cheapest and most effective way to get the word out for them to as many people as possible. Nowhere else can they reach so many (targeted) people in such a short amount of time for 0 dollars...
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 9, 2011
    Maybe it's all that bad weather, cabin fever and all that, but it's getting to be silly season around here--first the signatures thread and now this. rolleyes1.gif

Hey, I don't use Facebook or Twitter and probably never will. I have my reasons. But I certainly have no reason to complain if SmugMug does marketing promotions there. And neither does anyone else. SmugMug has been extremely generous in its support of Dgrin over the years. We should be grateful for that.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Boy, I used to think FB had no purpose... all these giveaways are making me want to join!

And I totally support SM, if they want to do it on FB then what's the problem with that? It's your problem for not wanting to join. I can understand if you don't want to join (I'm not a member...YETrolleyes1.gif), but then don't expect to get a chance to win free gear. It's that simple. Join, and get a chance, or do neither. Why are people giving SM and Andy a hard time for GIVING AWAY $1000'S WORTH OF GEAR?headscratch.gif
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I went for the prize. What is the problem? With one in a few hundred chance I have little chance but more than if I do not take part.

As a paying Smugmug member, I hope part of this is paid for by Facebook as I see them as principal beneficiary of the marketing action
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Why are people giving SM and Andy a hard time for GIVING AWAY $1000'S WORTH OF GEAR?headscratch.gif

you will ALWAYS have people who are unhappy, no matter what they do ne_nau.gif
    I see the point from both sides, but if they were to change it to satisfy some, then others will be unhappy. You cant please everyone, even when giving something away.
    Todd - My Photos
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Facebook doesn't violate their terms, and if they do, they change them so then it's not a violation.

Duh! Lol.

I don't care if facebook gathers advertising information from me, since I'm fully aware of it. Also, I'm not a compulsive shopper in the least. Many people who buy things on a whim are victims of the custom made ads they put on your computer. I constantly get ads pertaining to all the camera shopping and other items I look at on the same day, and its not just Facebook that tracks your shopping habits and spams you with ads related to it, its the whole of the gears behind how the internet works now.

Even my email provider's website spams me ads from places I recently visited (B&H, newegg, ebay, whatever) For my machine its not spyware, its just the way the web works now. I've granted them monitoring of my browsing habits by signing up for 'free' services and etc, I am very aware of it. Even if they didn't get this info from me, I'd still see ads just not pertaining to me.

In the end the power is in your choice with what you're gonna do with the $ in your possession. Advertisers have zero power until you've let them convince you that you want something and are willing to pay for it.

The only extra thing they get out of me is a rolleyes1.gif

Personally I say bravo to the giveaway and I have entered :D

Especially since my camera just fried :cry
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Andy - thank you for offering this - it is a very selfless thing to do - we appreciate it.
  • Farmer FredFarmer Fred Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I don't plan to enter and don't really care if paid members of SmugMug have to join FaceTwit to enter a supposedly SmugMug contest, but:

FaceBook may allow you to set privacy settings so other FB users cannot see your info, but FB still owns everything you post, forever, which is why I deleted my account a year ago.

It's not because I want to stay Old School; it's because I'd rather keep my name and other info out of Zuckerberg's hands.

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Mark_Zuckerberg
    edited February 9, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    If it ever becomes a requirement that I become a member of facebook to be able to use smugmug fully, then I would just switch to one of the various other sites, but I sure hope it never comes to that

Can't see why we'd ever do that :)
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Maybe it's all that bad weather, cabin fever and all that, but it's getting to be silly season around here--first the signatures thread and now this. rolleyes1.gif

Hey, I don't use Facebook or Twitter and probably never will. I have my reasons. But I certainly have no reason to complain if SmugMug does marketing promotions there. And neither does anyone else. SmugMug has been extremely generous in its support of Dgrin over the years. We should be grateful for that.

:D Totally.

And in this thread I've done my best not to flame the ignorances shown on this one.....(I need to make my way down from #3, lol)
    (I just hope its a Dgrin regular that wins)
    Aaron Nelson
  • piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

This blatantly discriminates those of us who predominantly use the Yellow Pages.
    edited February 9, 2011
    This blatantly discriminates those of us who predominantly use the Yellow Pages.

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2011

But seriously though, this is a smart marketing move. At a cost of $2000 or so, SM generates a ton of activity that wil surely pay off with a real multiplier effect. While I am not a Facebook user, I do see why this is a brilliant strategy. Probably better than spending the same $2000 or whatever for a print ad in Outdoor Photographer.

As a non-Facebook user though, I have begun to scratch my head in confusion though when I see all the "like" buttons appearing everywhere. If I were a Facebook user, I would have no issues with "liking" SmugMug. the other day I saw a McDonalds ad with a "Like" button on it, and spent a moment pondering who exactly is out there in the world that wants to be proud of liking McDonalds.

After a decade or so, and infinite similar promotions, I wonder how many "likes" one might have built up over time, and whether you can ever remove a "like" from your profile.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Richard wrote:

+1
    As a non-Facebook user though, I have begun to scratch my head in confusion though when I see all the "like" buttons appearing everywhere. If I were a Facebook user, I would have no issues with "liking" SmugMug. the other day I saw a McDonalds ad with a "Like" button on it, and spent a moment pondering who exactly is out there in the world that wants to be proud of liking McDonalds.

exactlyrolleyes1.gif
    edited February 9, 2011
    ........and whether you can ever remove a "like" from your profile.
    Oh Yeah! You can remove them, practically block them, you can do many many things with the FB interface.

Personally I like Pirate Speak....oh oh..wait..."Some scurvy dog's a-blabberin on my plank!" Gotta go!
    tom wise
    edited February 9, 2011
    But seriously though, this is a smart marketing move. At a cost of $2000 or so,.....

Sorry! That is not a cost, that is an expenditure in Marketing!
    tom wise
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    FaceBook may allow you to set privacy settings so other FB users cannot see your info, but FB still owns everything you post, forever, which is why I deleted my account a year ago.

I'm not in the habit of defending FB, but that's simply not true:
    http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

Point #2 starts "You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings."
  • Farmer FredFarmer Fred Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    CSwinton wrote: »
    I'm not in the habit of defending FB, but that's simply not true:
    http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

Point #2 starts "You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings."

You believe them?

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/26/technology/facebook_sponsored_stories/index.htm
  • dahn8dahn8 Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2011

There was also a study done a year or two ago saying that photos users deleted weren't immediately deleted off some social networking sites, Facebook included. Whether or not they eventually were/are deleted (or if Facebook remedied the issue) is unclear though:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8060407.stm

Anyways, I still use Facebook but just am more careful with what I post and such. Also, for those of you who do use it, you should change to https as soon as you can well:

http://gawker.com/#!5744229/the-facebook-setting-you-should-change-as-quickly-as-possible
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Richard wrote: »

I don't begrudge them doing a marketing promotion on Facebook (maybe it'll bring in more users), and I don't think it's cabin fever.

I think it's the flip answers provided by the SmugMug COO. Seymore asked not to be left behind and what he got was this
    Andy wrote: »
    Sorry you feel that way, Seymore! . . . how hard is that? I simply cannot understand this argument.

I've only been a member for a short period of time, and I've learned a lot from the other members. But after reading the "management" response to some of these posts, it makes me wonder if it's worth sticking around.

It seems to me that the COO could use a Dale Carnegie course.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
    edited February 10, 2011
    konomaniac wrote: »
    It seems to me that the COO could use a Dale Carnegie course.

Been there, and done that! Have a look at my 50,000+ posts here on Dgrin since December 2003 :D

Seymore is olde school, he says it himself. We don't force anyone to use FB. If he doesn't want to use Facebook, that's his choice, as it is ours, to do a giveaway there deal.gif Honestly, the nastiness in this thread has made me not want to cross-promote the giveaways on Dgrin :(

Thanks so much for posting, love it!
This discussion has been closed.