100 Strangers Project

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited February 24, 2011 in People
There is a group on another photo site that shall remain nameless that is doing a challenge to photograph 100 strangers in 2011. There are no candids allowed. The photo must be of a stranger that you approached specifically for this challenge. You are supposed to learn something about the person and share it when you post the photo. I thought this was an awesome way to meet new people and really get yourself out of your comfort zone... well, not that much for since I talk to random strangers all the time. Still, I thought it would be cool to photograph 100 random strangers that I will probably never see again. As such, I wanted to share with my peeps here at Dgrin to see if maybe we can start our own threads with 100 strangers???

This is my first stranger and I will post the rest as I take them. Her name is Bridgette. I met her while riding the Powell-Hyde cable car in San Francisco. Bridgette is from Melbourne, Australia and was visiting San Francisco while on holiday. Actually, this was the first leg of a year long trip. She originally planned to start the year expedition in Mexico City - she has a college friend there - but decided to spend a week in San Francisco first. She had a couple more days in SF and then she's off to Mexico for a month. From there, she'll meet her boyfriend in England and they will spend the rest of the year traveling throughout Europe. I had such a pleasure talking and sharing travel stories as well as some some scary moments she had while walking through the Tenderloin at night by herself. I hope she made OK through the remainder of her stay in SF.

I took this shot while we were riding on the cable car. I used my SB-600 as fill. It was on camera and bounced off the roof of the cable car slight behind me. I actually think it turned out pretty good considering that we were pretty crammed on the car and I got one shot.

Bridgette - Stranger 1 of 100

1183151150_hF93D-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Interesting project.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    awesome idea!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Great idea. I also like Oscar Wilde!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Nice! I love the lay of her scarf :)

Really great idea... I'm glad you'll be keeping us posted :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    What a fun project.
    Sounds like something you will be very good at.
    Hope you stick with it and keep sharing the shots with us.
    She looks like a very friendly energetic person, when a photo is right, you can see their personality in their eyes.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    What a great start to such a cool project. Are you keeping all of 100 portraits and stories in one place or in different threads on Dgrin? ear.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    What a great start to such a cool project. Are you keeping all of 100 portraits and stories in one place or in different threads on Dgrin? ear.gif

Schmoo... I will keep them all in this thread. I will add them as I get them and if I get more than one at a time, I will probably post one every couple days. I have another one to post but probably won't until tomorrow. Do you think I should just add them to my original post? Is there a limit to how many I can add to one?

My Smug Site
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    1183150955_grgdb-X2.jpg

Vince - Stranger 2 of 100

I met Vince while taking a ride down to Fisherman's Wharf in SF. He is a conductor of one the Hyde & Powell cable-cars, although on this day he was collecting fares. He approached me to ask why I was carrying two cameras - I had my D700 and D300 bodies. The former with a normal zoom and the latter with an ultra wide angle.

We discussed the reason for the two different lenses and that I carried to bodies so I don't have to switch lenses. He explained that he recently bought his first DSLR and asked a few different questions about lens aperture and why the lenses I had are so much more expensive that the kit lenses that came with his body.

Vince has been working the cable-cars for 11 years. What struck me about him is that he was so happy and seemed to love his job. He told me that he used to drive a bus and he had a very different attitude then. He never spoke to any of his patrons. Later while working the cable-car, he realized how much better he felt when he engaged with people and found that most are very friendly. He also said that many of his customers are visitors to San Francisco and he feels a responsibility to make a good impression on them.

It was a joy talking to Vince and he made the ride on his cable-car a nice experience.

Awesome shot, but all I can see is "Tiny bokeh girl!"
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Awesome shot, but all I can see is "Tiny bokeh girl!"

HA... I considered cloning her out but didn't since I thought it added to to the "environmental portrait feel". I'll wait to hear other comments... If I get one more that says the same, she's getting eliminated. Unlike hit-men, I don't have a "No women, no children" policy. :D

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Another cool shot with lots of personality.....don't clone the little girl out....she looks like a little impossibly small Gumby walking down the street.

If you keep adding to this thread we will never know when you have posted a new shot and it will get impossibly long.
    edited February 10, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Another cool shot with lots of personality.....don't clone the little girl out....she looks like a little impossibly small Gumby walking down the street.

If you keep adding to this thread we will never know when you have posted a new shot and it will get impossibly long.

So start a new thread with each one? I guess I can do that.

I will remove this one from here and add as new thread. Makes more sense.

My Smug Site
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Very awesome idea for a project! I'm sure you'll meet lots more interesting people as you continue in this endeavor :)
    edited February 11, 2011
    So start a new thread with each one? I guess I can do that.

I will remove this one from here and add as new thread. Makes more sense.

Sorry I'm late to the game but either way, it's good. I would have suggested either posting a new entry in this thread, or starting a new thread and then linking to it in the first post of this one. What a cool, inspiring project.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Can't wait to see your entries and stories. Some of them can be really moving shots and stories, some hilariouis, I can't wait to see where yours takes you.
    I got up to stranger #4 or 5 and quit. Turns out I"m not all that friendly.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 11, 2011
    Can't wait to see your entries and stories. Some of them can be really moving shots and stories, some hilariouis, I can't wait to see where yours takes you.
    I got up to stranger #4 or 5 and quit. Turns out I"m not all that friendly.

Liz... really? You should go back to it. I think you'd do well. Besides, part of the project is to challenge yourself to approach people and get your out of your comfort zone.

My Smug Site
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 11, 2011
    Great idea, I'll be watching this thread.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    I wish you luck on this project! I actually like all the images together... maybe edit the first post and add smaller copies of the images?

How many stranger portraits were you able to do with your short trip to the bay area?
    edited February 11, 2011
    aktse wrote: »
    I wish you luck on this project! I actually like all the images together... maybe edit the first post and add smaller copies of the images?

How many stranger portraits were you able to do with your short trip to the bay area?

I got four but I'm not happy with two of them. Do you remember those girls' names at the Vietnamese place? I think it was Miriam and Brittney.

My Smug Site
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    I got four but I'm not happy with two of them. Do you remember those girls' names at the Vietnamese place? I think it was Miriam and Brittney.
    Miriam was one of them, but I can't remember the other one.
  • amoncuramoncur Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    What a cool idea. A friend of mine created his own challenge to photograph something, anything, every day for 1 year. I thought that was a cool idea, too, but this seems even more interesting since you have to photograph a person (and a stranger, no less).
    edited February 16, 2011
    OK, it's official. I'm starting 100 strangers.

Thanks to Alex in advance... esp if I get punched in the face lol3.gif
    edited February 16, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    OK, it's official. I'm starting 100 strangers.

Thanks to Alex in advance... esp if I get punched in the face lol3.gif

Awesome! Did you join the 100strangers.com group? Make sure you do. Its nice to share the photos with the others participating and it also is an easy way for your stranger to go see the photo you took.

Haven't had a chance to go out and meet any new strangers since my trip to SF but I'm going up to Santa Barbara this weekend so I hope to find at least one while I'm there.

Make sure to post your strangers. And I really doubt you'll get punched. I'm surprised how open people are to having their picture taken especially if you ask them first. Make sure you explain the project.

My Smug Site
    edited February 21, 2011
    Awesome! Did you join the 100strangers.com group? Make sure you do. Its nice to share the photos with the others participating and it also is an easy way for your stranger to go see the photo you took.

Haven't had a chance to go out and meet any new strangers since my trip to SF but I'm going up to Santa Barbara this weekend so I hope to find at least one while I'm there.

Make sure to post your strangers. And I really doubt you'll get punched. I'm surprised how open people are to having their picture taken especially if you ask them first. Make sure you explain the project.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I actually am waiting to start because I ordered 100 Minicards from MOO.com, each with a pic of a person on the front and a URL for the gallery on the back. I figured it's a cost-effective way to (a) share the pic when it's up, (b) look legit, and (c) keep track of how many portraits I've done. When the box is empty, I'm finished. The website you pointed to had some great suggestions on how to turn down the creep factor.

Can't wait to see more of yours!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Very cool idea and what a way to learn!!
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    I would love to do this, too! I don't dig on the whole flickr thing, though. I'm a bit anti-flickr. Maybe I'll just do a smug group. Anyone else wanna do a smug group?
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Great project...I actually thought of doing the same last year...but my project was going to be titled "365 perfect strangers in one year". I didn't follow through.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    A Smug group would be better...since Yahoo got a hold of Flickr things have gotten crazy there.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited February 22, 2011
    I'm in for doing a smug group. I'll create it later today.

My Smug Site
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 22, 2011
    Wonderful idea!

A note on the bus driver thing. Apparently, they're not well liked and known to be somewhat surely at times. I think it's mostly because the crowd that rides the bus is very different than that which rides the cable cars. This is especially true outside of the commute hours--the bus drivers put up with a lot of crap on a regular basis.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?