100 Strangers Project

2»

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    OK guys. I created a community page for the 100 strangers project. You can find it here: http://www.smugmug.com/community/100%20Strangers
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I ammmmm excited...thanks for putting this together...can't wait to contribute.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    OK guys. I created a community page for the 100 strangers project. You can find it here: http://www.smugmug.com/community/100%20Strangers

Wunderbar!! I just got my biz cards today and am ready to rock it this weekend. :D

I'm really excited to see everyone's pics!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Cool... I just got my normal zoom lens back from repair so I hope to get at least one or two strangers this weekend.

BTW, that business cards is a smart idea. It will really make you look legit when talking to folks. I think it should make them feel much more open to a photo if they know they can see it.

My Smug Site
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I'm in for doing a smug group. I'll create it later today.
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

I'm totally in the game! Can't wait to start!
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I think it would be worth it to do a separate post with a link to the project and invitation to join the smug group. What do you think?
    edited February 22, 2011
    Cool... I just got my normal zoom lens back from repair so I hope to get at least one or two strangers this weekend.

BTW, that business cards is a smart idea. It will really make you look legit when talking to folks. I think it should make them feel much more open to a photo if they know they can see it.

Ja! And MOO makes it so easy to make beautiful cards in just a few minutes. :D I was a dummy and included the URL but forgot to include my email address. Oh well. rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 23, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Ja! And MOO makes it so easy to make beautiful cards in just a few minutes. :D I was a dummy and included the URL but forgot to include my email address. Oh well. rolleyes1.gif

What did you put on the card? And did you order regular cards or those "minicards"? I'm thinking of ordering some.

My Smug Site
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 23, 2011
    What did you put on the card? And did you order regular cards or those "minicards"? I'm thinking of ordering some.

Pick some and see what works. The cool thing about MOO is the quality and price are reasonable enough to try 'em all thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 23, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Pick some and see what works. The cool thing about MOO is the quality and price are reasonable enough to try 'em all thumb.gif

Yeah... I'm playing around with the minicards. They're pretty cool. I like that you can use your own images and there is no limit to how many. So you could order 100 cards with a different image on each. clap.gif

My Smug Site
    edited February 23, 2011

I went with the Minicards because they are really small, informal and come already in a pack of 100: :ivar

1196728134_ojVc9-M.jpg

... and like you said, a different image of each! All in all it took only an hour, tops, and I had my cards in-hand in under a week.
    edited February 23, 2011
    So cool. Wow... so you made these specifically for the "100 Strangers" project. That's commitment. I was going to make them for my site in general but now you got me thinking about making two sets.

My Smug Site
    edited February 23, 2011
    So cool. Wow... so you made these specifically for the "100 Strangers" project. That's commitment. I was going to make them for my site in general but now you got me thinking about making two sets.

Yeah definitely get two sets if you think you'll need them. I have a set for this project, a set for my personal site and I have a set for SmugMug. They are so. awesome. And the paper is so thick you can use it to open locks. Er, probably.

I cannot speak highly enough about MOO! Sorry to derail the thread. Back on topic, now...
    edited February 23, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Yeah definitely get two sets if you think you'll need them. I have a set for this project, a set for my personal site and I have a set for SmugMug. They are so. awesome. And the paper is so thick you can use it to open locks. Er, probably.

I cannot speak highly enough about MOO! Sorry to derail the thread. Back on topic, now...

No... this is great. One more question. Did you figure out how to change the site your pulling photos from? For example, I initially chose to link to my Flickr page but now I want to pull from my both of my smug sites. I can't figure out who to add or change the linked gallery.

EDIT... sent them an email. Let's see what they say.

My Smug Site
    edited February 23, 2011
    No... this is great. One more question. Did you figure out how to change the site your pulling photos from? For example, I initially chose to link to my Flickr page but now I want to pull from my both of my smug sites. I can't figure out who to add or change the linked gallery.

Hmmm, that's a tricky situation. I've never tried to make cards from more than on SM site at a time but can you try one of these two options?

1) Try pulling the images you want from one gallery, designing the cards you want from that. Then save your project in MOO. Then go into your SM control panel > Settings tab and revoke authorization to MOO under "Authorized Applications." Then try going back to MOO. Maybe that will prompt a new authorization?

2) Try collecting the photos from one SM account into a gallery into your second account. Most of our partners can "read" collected photos but you do need to be sure that you are enabling Originals and external links in the source gallery, at least temporarily. Otherwise they may not be able to grab large enough versions for cards.

HTH!
    edited February 24, 2011
    Hey all... can you check out my 100 Strangers Gallery on my site and tell me what you think? http://alexsotelophotography.smugmug.com/Projects/100strangers/15957188_4baty

The site is a work in progress. Right now, I'm working on the layout of the galleries and such so I don't have a lot of content up. The Strangers Gallery is pretty close to complete though.

My Smug Site