Options

Splash page ... yes or no?

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited February 24, 2011 in Weddings
I'm debating if I should create a splash page (the page you get to first with links to my website, blog and FB page). What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I went to your site this week, and I would say yes... so long as it is a super fast loader. (I hate it when it takes forever to load and all it is is a splash page.) I was looking for your blog, and it took me a minute or so to find the link, so it could have been helpful.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Yes, it's important for SEO stuff... it's the only reason I have one. Photobiz has some great tips on how to set one up as well as general SEO optimization, so I just followed their suggestions.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    ...I was looking for your blog, and it took me a minute or so to find the link, so it could have been helpful.

Hm, that kind of surprises me, I thought it's quite easy to get to, haha! Oh well ...

Yeah, I'm thinking it might make sense headscratch.gif and good point about the SEO, Kinkajou!!
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I'll vote yes too!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Never needed one. If someone's computer is so ghetto / slow they can't do flash, they probably can't afford me. :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    Never needed one. If someone's computer is so ghetto / slow they can't do flash, they probably can't afford me. :-P

=Matt=

We need Like button!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    From what I've read, splash pages are great for helping search engines recognize your site better, as they supposedly don't read flash very well. I've been diving into SEO bigtime in the past few weeks, and I haven't seen anything to tell me otherwise yet. So...I use my splash page. I hope it's not slow!

Don't forget to title your images, even on the splash page. My 2 splash image files are titled pretty much my SEO keywords. "Nashville-wedding-photography.JPG" (and variables)
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011

=Matt=

Never heard of an iPad? Also there's SEO reasons.

I've gone totally over to wordpress for mine, which isn't as pretty as a flash site, but it's much better for SEO and I think having lots of regularly updated content makes it more interesting to the client. I think it's especially useful if you work from home as it gives potential clients a feeling of security if they can see that you have regular work and that your quality level is consistent and you're getting nice feedback from clients in the comments.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    Weisel wrote: »
    From what I've read, splash pages are great for helping search engines recognize your site better, as they supposedly don't read flash very well. I've been diving into SEO bigtime in the past few weeks, and I haven't seen anything to tell me otherwise yet. So...I use my splash page. I hope it's not slow!

Don't forget to title your images, even on the splash page. My 2 splash image files are titled pretty much my SEO keywords. "Nashville-wedding-photography.JPG" (and variables)

Great point!!
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    So the reason I am thinking about one is because I am thinking about splitting my business into weddings & babies .... hence I'm thinking about 2 separate websites .... the one I have is a bit too full with information right now .... and beside this I also wanted it to be easier to navigate for my clients (not because my website is loading too slowly) ... but THEN ... I don't want them to automatically go onto my blog (which is what I do when I enter a splash page) .... soooooo .. anyway ... just a bit torn about the whole thing, but the SEO is a GREAT point + thanks for the image-keyword idea ... didn't think about that (for the splash page). Great idea!

Thanks for your inputs, everybody!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    I vote, Y'ay!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    I find them annoying when looking at other photographers work (one more click) and I believe the google and most search engines now move right past all of those keyword loaded splash pages. I axed mine over a year ago and have no regrets.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011

=Matt=

But what if they're viewing your page from an iPad/iPhone?

(ok granted I have flash video on my homepage, so this is me totally playing devil's advocate and I like the way you're thinking about them being able to afford you in the first place, lol)
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    I'm debating if I should create a splash page
    Why? What purpose could it serve except to frustrate access by your visitors? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    Shima wrote: »

(ok granted I have flash video on my homepage, so this is me totally playing devil's advocate and I like the way you're thinking about them being able to afford you in the first place, lol)

I have an mobile compatible page ... most "website-creating-sites" offer that version, you might want to look into that ... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    I have an mobile compatible page ... most "website-creating-sites" offer that version, you might want to look into that ... thumb.gif

They are generally terrible though. I just tried yours on my iphone to check and it's nothing like your main website, and quite buggy to use. Mine was similar when I was with ShowIt. Not saying having a flash page is wrong, just that the mobile page that they produce is very poor, so your site is almost useless to somebody on an iphone or ipad.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Weisel wrote: »

Most flash hosts these days are SEO friendly, but you do have a point. A splash page commonly has tons of links at the bottom for SEO purposes. Touche, indeed.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    Never heard of an iPad? Also there's SEO reasons.

I've gone totally over to wordpress for mine, which isn't as pretty as a flash site, but it's much better for SEO and I think having lots of regularly updated content makes it more interesting to the client. I think it's especially useful if you work from home as it gives potential clients a feeling of security if they can see that you have regular work and that your quality level is consistent and you're getting nice feedback from clients in the comments.
    Shima wrote: »

Touche! Exept, my particular flash host does allow a mobile site design, which I need to get a move on. Dang!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    They are generally terrible though. I just tried yours on my iphone to check and it's nothing like your main website, and quite buggy to use. Mine was similar when I was with ShowIt. Not saying having a flash page is wrong, just that the mobile page that they produce is very poor, so your site is almost useless to somebody on an iphone or ipad.
    My (showit) mobile page is also incomplete, but when finished it will mostly just have a couple images and a link to my blog.

A lot of replies so far talk about SEO and the importance of a blog, but I don't see why having a blog requires having a splash page. I get plenty of SEO (when I blog regularly lol) even though I don't have a splash page, and anyone viewing my main site on a mobile device should have no trouble clicking directly over to my blog.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    So the reason I am thinking about one is because I am thinking about splitting my business into weddings & babies .... hence I'm thinking about 2 separate websites .... the one I have is a bit too full with information right now .... and beside this I also wanted it to be easier to navigate for my clients (not because my website is loading too slowly) ... but THEN ... I don't want them to automatically go onto my blog (which is what I do when I enter a splash page) .... soooooo .. anyway ... just a bit torn about the whole thing, but the SEO is a GREAT point + thanks for the image-keyword idea ... didn't think about that (for the splash page). Great idea!

Thanks for your inputs, everybody!
    See, now there's a VERY GOOD reason to have a splash page. But then again, if the whole reason of having separate pages dedicated to weddings and babies so that there isn't brand confusion, having a splash page still fails to separate them, because people still see that you shoot BOTH.

So, I would either make the "splash" page part of your actual website front page, and just have links to galleries / pages dedicated to each service you offer, ...OR... I would simply create different websites and link directly, so people just see that one part of your business.

I used to believe that it was really taboo to connect different genres of photography like that, because as the rockstars all tell us, if we don't specialize then we're watering down our brand image. HOWEVER, I've recently seen / met countless successful pros who are still doing great with the "lifestyle" photography business model. Meaning they shoot weddings, babies, families, seniors, etc. ...and they strongly argue that it's the only way to go from a perspective of profits and business security.

So I would feel just fine simply having your front page include a selection of both. (maybe not in the same slideshow, but maybe just image with links.) Or, if you're going the blogsite route which is a good idea too, ...you can simply create two different blogs and link between them in the menu banner, OR you can simply blog an equal number of both types of work, and have categories / galleries dedicated to hosting portfolios of each. (ProPhoto 3.0 is a great template for Wordpress that allows you to have slick looking "portfolio" slideshows and galleries, to make up for the static feel of a vertical scrolling blog.

Good luck!
    =Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    A lot of replies so far talk about SEO and the importance of a blog, but I don't see why having a blog requires having a splash page.

If your main site is a blog I don't think there is much need for a splash page. But it might be beneficial if you have both a blog and flash page, so non flash users don't get faced with something horrible.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    I wanted to go completely blogsite but i changed my mind. Website is a website, it's your business front. Blog? Not so much, it's great for SEO no doubts, but it's more of a sidekick for your biz page then anything else. I have A blog which is linked from my SPLASH page, work just fine for me. :)
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Touche! Exept, my particular flash host does allow a mobile site design, which I need to get a move on. Dang!

=Matt=

Laughing.gif. Matt your mobile site that it allows is only good if it exists!! ;) Ok I know you already know this, just had to give you crap just because, hehe.
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    That's a great looking site Agnie!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Ok, so I went back to see what happened last time.... and I think I must have just been distracted by all the incredible photos in your slideshow rolleyes1.gif and didn't see the "click for menu" button for a while. It IS pretty easy.:D
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Great photos on your site...maybe it is just me but I don't want to have to click a link just to open a menu to click another link. I'm weird though. ;)

To each their own and I wouldn't worry...your site is very nice!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    Wachel wrote: »
    Great photos on your site...maybe it is just me but I don't want to have to click a link just to open a menu to click another link. I'm weird though. ;)

To each their own and I wouldn't worry...your site is very nice!

Point taken :D I actually had a slide show at the very beginning (which I just changed). It's just a photo now ... so NOW I need to figure out if I can have the menu be already open when you go to my page. I hope I'll be able to change that, you know how it is with those template sites rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Wachel wrote: »
    ... I don't want to have to click a link just to open a menu to click another link. I'm weird though.
    Nothing weird about that! mwink.gif
  • Options
    vivalaveritasvivalaveritas Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    I say try it out and see if you like it. There are SEO advantages. Keep it simple so it loads fast. Yes it's one more click for visitors, but it is only one more click. Try it out and monitor traffic with Google Analitics, if you see a dramatic decrease in traffic it may because of visitors are frustrated with the extra click and not visiting. If that happens just take it down.
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    I use one. Check out my website!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX