Options

San Francisco Photo Walk

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 29, 2011 in Journeys
You guys may have seen Sam's thread from our photo-walk through San Francisco. If not, check it out here.

I finally went through some of my shots and thought I post a few. Some of these were taken on other days during my trip. Hope you enjoy them.

Let's start things off with a wonderful portrait of Sam. Mind you, I didn't intend to take this photo but it was kind of hard when Sam kept standing right in front of my lens. :dunno

1183947202_no79J-X2.jpg

Ran across these guys shining shoes. Asked if I could take a few photos and they happily obliged:

1183940995_dkaAm-XL.jpg

And this shot was taken seconds later after Sam flipped the guys the bird and then started taking photos of them. As you can see, they weren't too happy:

1183940955_HebCJ-XL.jpg

Here is an iconic SF image. Funny thing is, I thought this was going to be a total throw-away shot because I can never get lens flare shots correct. Turns out it's one of my favorite shots of the trip:

1183941948_Xt5id-X2.jpg

Another favorite... the Mechanics Monument. You'd never guess by looking at this photo that just beneath it, there are about 15 homeless guys squatting around it:

1183946128_EA6Gb-X2.jpg

Horrible shot of the bridge at Pier 49 (I think). Sun was pretty bright so I did the best I could:

1183941403_3sH5y-X2.jpg

Couple of homeless guys playing chess. The guy on the right reminds me of Darth Sidious from Star Wars.

1183942010_7wqa8-X2.jpg

We stopped for lunch - Vietnamese. Sam started chatting up these pretty gals sitting next to us. I'm pretty shy so I just kind of let Sam do all the talking while I took a couple photos of them. Sam was standing directly behind me when I took this so it's him the gal on the left is making googly-eyes at... BTW, do you guys remember their names? I think it was Miriam and Brittney. I'd like to make them part of Strangers Project:

1183941989_ApCjq-XL.jpg

Sweet ass pimped ride that Sam drove up in. He was wearing a purple wool fedora with a feather in it and carrying a cane with a monocle in his left eye when he stepped out of the car.

1183942559_wom3F-XL.jpg

We ran across this flock of Touristaosaurus. We quickly corralled them into a small group and took some photos of them:

1183942980_2zeXe-XL.jpg

Lots of souvenirs for sale along the way. I missed my wife... this picture of her name helped me get through the day without her:

1183944928_muSSc-XL.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the souvenirs Sam bought... he actually took the entire stack right after I took the pic:

1183945547_qnKgp-XL.jpg

Some new age fire-crackers... not sure why I'm including this one... just think it's a cool shot:

1183945510_wXjWr-X2.jpg

Here is Sam and Aktse pretending to take a shot of something interesting just to get the tourists to look up:

1183943592_4AT9j-X2.jpg

They even tricked me into looking up:

1183947391_StRWo-XL.jpg

Historical site in SF. Most people just walk right by this plaque without notice. That's my wife's feet... picked this idea up from Schmoo and Aktse... they have a bit of a foot photo fetish.

1183944600_tEquy-XL.jpg

Here is another foot shot at Shell Corner. I think I'm getting better at it:

1183944359_yy3B3-X2.jpg

And the Shell Building which is right on Shell Corner:

1183946912_6kY7q-X2.jpg

Took this shot the day after our photo walk. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this could be Sam. Looks like he's going to buy a few copies of each of her titles:

1183946572_4CbF8-X2.jpg

That's it for now. I have more... will share as I go through them. Stay tuned.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    SO funny!
    In 2 I thought that you got a shot of the shoe shine guy spitting on the shoe....till I looked closer.
    Great commentary.....sounds like you have to watch Sam pretty close ha!

Any there are some really good photos in there also...for the icing on the cake. You really have a good eye for this type of photography.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

(great photos, too)
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Just in case people haven't picked up on things, Alex is a real bore. Going shooting with him for full day is just torture. Don't do it. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    some of the best stuff I have seen from you Alex..haha
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    some of the best stuff I have seen from you Alex..haha

Thanks Daniel. I guess this is what happens when you go shooting with the likes of Schmoo, Sam and Aktse. They really made me step up my game. Especially since I was the only Nikon shooter in the bunch. Actually, they were reluctant to let me go on the photo walk with them when they saw I had two Nikons strapped around my neck.

BTW, I sure hope to see Schmoo's and Aktse's shots. Schmoo had her little IR p&s and I saw her take some pretty cool shots. Aktse was rocking a lens baby. Can't wait to see those.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Amazing photos! I wished that I had your courage when taking street photos of people!

However, I have to make one correction. I don't have foot photo fetish. It's a shoe fetish!!!! rolleyes1.gif

It was wonderful spending the day shooting with you!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    aktse wrote: »
    Amazing photos! I wished that I had your courage when taking street photos of people!

However, I have to make one correction. I don't have foot photo fetish. It's a shoe fetish!!!! rolleyes1.gif

It was wonderful spending the day shooting with you!

Thanks April. I had a blast as well. Let's do it again sometime.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Maybe the mods could put these two post together?

I have a few more to share..........

This guy's position didn't change much but was interesting to photograph.
    1184646809_SqKqz-L.jpg

People don't know how good a dancer Schmoo is! She is likely to break out is song and dance at the drop of a hat.
    1184646960_tfLBm-L.jpg

I have no idea what do you think the little button does?
    1184647738_PjWQh-L.jpg

Next time we need to try this place!
    1184647248_a2uKv-L.jpg

The new glass skyscrapers are rife with reflections.
    1184648078_AM2Nd-L.jpg

Good thing the girls didn't see this!
    1184647964_tDuAK-L.jpg

I almost forgot...............the brownies were outstandingly delicious!!!! :D

Sam
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Great photos Alex and Sam. I really enjoyed the series.
    The street shots are wonderful.

Looks like a fun day.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2011
    Few more....

Couple more shots of the city:

1184828753_GYbok-X2.jpg

1184832344_AxdJH-X2.jpg

Ventured out at night to find something to eat. Had to convince the wife that chips and beer were going to cut it:

1184828314_2B48y-X2.jpg

I felt like bathing after taking this photo. I wondered if they offer "happy endings"?

1184830167_Kost9-X2.jpg

We eventually made our way to China Town:

1184829659_rSAwR-X2.jpg

1184831260_aSiNs-X2.jpg

Ended up stopping a bakery to see if they had fresh steamed pork bao. I really dug this coke sign. Really old and worn:

1184831233_yHNzB-X2.jpg

They did have bao and "Chinese Tamales".

1184831822_fcxdS-X2.jpg

I went into another joint while my wife was waiting and found this Happy Cat waiving good luck at me:

1184834318_FfqXX-X2.jpg

The next day we humped it over to the GG Bridge... on the way, we stopped at the Palace of Fine Arts:

1183593523_2FYSW-X2.jpg

The wife reluctantly posed for a couple snaps:

1184832368_EFbKy-X2.jpg

1184832999_6vMwD-X2.jpg

We later made it to the GG Bridge:

1184833194_UaTNG-X2.jpg

1184833106_g6VUE-X2.jpg

1184833991_fmG3w-X2.jpg

My favorite shot of the bridge I got:

1184833988_acxEc-X2.jpg

And a shot of a seagull overlooking the city:

1184833830_SdNku-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Alex,

More good work. I particularly like the Chinese tamales, and the shots of your wife.

Of course it helps that your wife is gorgeous and has a nice smile. Now take it to the next level! She seems to have only one expression. Loosen her up, expand her facial expressions and poses. Alcohol, and expensive shinny things are your friend here. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Alex,

More good work. I particularly like the Chinese tamales, and the shots of your wife.

Of course it helps that your wife is gorgeous and has a nice smile. Now take it to the next level! She seems to have only one expression. Loosen her up, expand her facial expressions and poses. Alcohol, and expensive shinny things are your friend here. :D

Sam

Haha. She's a tough one. I've taken tons of photos of her over the years but as soon as the camera comes out, she stiffens up. It's worse when we are out and about. In the house, she seems to relax a little more. Also, if I give her exact direction on posing, that seems to help but I'm still a noob with posing and I had no reference material when I took these. Basically, these were more like snapshots.

The only other thing I can do that helps is that I can always make her laugh, but for seem reason, even that doesn't cause her to relax in front of the camera. Alcohol won't work because she doesn't drink. And shinny things... I buy her enough of those and still no dice. I'll keep trying but not too hopeful.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    I love how you can see your reflection in your wife's sunglasses!

I think I would like to take a look at this in a high contrasty BW
    1184833988_acxEc-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    As requested:

1188012512_LxsT5-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    I like it better because it draws your eye to the bridge rather than the sky.
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Great stuff. As an SF native it's great seeing what other people see in the city. Thanks for posting!!
  • Options
    Deano955Deano955 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Kick ass pics! thumb.gif
    Baldy owns my free time
    smugmug coupon 1qoLJk8tfsGWM
  • Options
    ThumpercrazeePhotoThumpercrazeePhoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 22, 2011
    Beautiful shots!

TC
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    I can't tell you why but this photo just JUMPS out at me clap.gif
    wish I'd taken it!!! thumb.gif
    reminds me somehow of something shot in the 50's... any PP? or was it all just excellent camera work?
    1184828314_2B48y-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    jasonstone wrote: »
    I can't tell you why but this photo just JUMPS out at me clap.gif
    wish I'd taken it!!! thumb.gif
    reminds me somehow of something shot in the 50's... any PP? or was it all just excellent camera work?

Thanks. No PP really, other than slight crop and B&W conversion. I liked the shot as well. Something about it. Not sure what though. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Major kudos dude!!! thumb.gif
    I'd print that one large and hang it on my wall :D
    Thanks. No PP really, other than slight crop and B&W conversion. I liked the shot as well. Something about it. Not sure what though. headscratch.gif