Options

RRS Tripods

Comments

• Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I decided on the TVC-23 yesterday. For only a few inch difference I felt the 3 segment legs would be a tad bit more stable than the 24 with four section legs.

I'm looking forward to my new light weight, well made stability. wings.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    bgarland wrote: »
    I decided on the TVC-23 yesterday. For only a few inch difference I felt the 3 segment legs would be a tad bit more stable than the 24 with four section legs.

I'm looking forward to my new light weight, well made stability. wings.gif

I am strongly considering this also, Brad.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    I am strongly considering this also, Brad.

If you haven't seen one yet and want to before ordering, your welcome to check mine out once it arrives later this week.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    If you haven't seen one yet and want to before ordering, your welcome to check mine out once it arrives later this week.

Thanksthumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I have to say that while I really love the RRS tripod, and I think it's significantly better than the Gitzo I owned previously (the 2531), the prices for the Gitzos have fallen dramatically in the last 6-12 months. Not too long ago the 2531 was about $650. Now it's about $520. Just last month you could have gotten it for about $420 with the rebate that was being offered. The RRS TVC-23 is about $300 more than the current price I'm seeing on Amazon and BH. Is it $300 better? Probably not for most of us, depending on your budget.

I think the price needs to come down a bit on the RRS tripods, but I do think they're significantly better than the Gitzo. I'm just not sure it's enough to justify $300 for most of us.

BTW, Marc, Andy and I recommend RRS gear on our Friends page. We're continually impressed with the quality of their gear, and are our go-to for camera support.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I never use the center column, just removed it completely from the Gitzo. They're just not stable. Although the RRS may be better!

My RRS TVC-23 was delivered yesterday.wings.gif It is one sweet piece of engineering.

I opted for the center column thinking I could remove it when not needed but after setting it up, the center column feels rock solid to me even when extended.

I'm very happy with this purchase. Thanks to folks in this thread for the recommendation. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    I got mine without the center column only because the column prevents you from setting the camera low to the ground, which I want to do. I'm thinking of getting one though, for height, so it's good to hear it is so solid. It's just 3 screws to switch from no center column to center column.
    My RRS TVC-23 was delivered yesterday.wings.gif It is one sweet piece of engineering.

I opted for the center column thinking I could remove it when not needed but after setting it up, the center column feels rock solid to me even when extended.

I'm very happy with this purchase. Thanks to folks in this thread for the recommendation. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    bobpalbobpal Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Rrs ftw
    I went to San Luis Obispo earlier this year to see (and buy one of) their tripods with a head. Before going I looked at Gitzo tripods. I was replacing a aluminum Giottos tripod that served me well but wasn't near stable enough for longer star exposures that I'm starting to do.

I had narrowed my search down to the 35xx series Gitzo and the RRS TVC-23 tripod.

In my opinion the RRS legs blow away the Gtzo legs. While both have great build quality the RRS tripod feels so much better than the Gitzo. The machining of the metal parts and the finish of the carbon tubes is far superior to the Gitzo. And, in side-by-side comparisons I felt that the 23 was more stable than the 35xx Gitzo.

I bought the three section legs because it felt even more stable to me than the four section legs. No matter what, the fourth section is a thinner tube and so less stiff than the tube it fits into.

At the RRS "showroom" they had all of their tripods and a couple of Gitzo models to play with which was very nice and let me compare the two lines up close and personal. The TVC-33 is awesome but quite a commitment in size to carry around. If you shoot very long lenses that tripod along with their pano-gimbal package would be a great setup.

I purchased a BH-55 head to go on my TVC-323 legs. In my opinion it is a great, heavy duty combination, I'm not sure why anyone would think the BH-50 is too much for the 23 although I think the BH-40 would also work well.

My goal was to buy my last tripod and I think that's exactly what I did.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2011
    Ordered the TVC - 23 today.wings.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 22, 2011
    Ordered the TVC - 23 today.wings.gif

Congrats, Dan! I see the TVC-23 is only 52" tall. Did you get the center column with it? Otherwise, I think it will be a little short for you.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Got mine, TVC-23 clap.gif So sturdy, so light. What an impressive rig.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2011
    FIGHT ON wrote: »
    lThanks Dan. But what about the 23 and 24? They don't show the hook on those. ne_nau.gif

They have the hook deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Got mine, TVC-23 clap.gif So sturdy, so light. What an impressive rig.
    Congrats. Did you get the optional center column with it?
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Congrats. Did you get the optional center column with it?

No. Don't want or need that.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    No. Don't want or need that.
    I would think that's a little on the short side for you then. The spec show it as 52.4". My gitzo 3530 LSV is 58.3", and just tall enough for me in some instances. And you're a taller guy than me I seem to recall.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    I would think that's a little on the short side for you then. The spec show it as 52.4". My gitzo 3530 LSV is 58.3", and just tall enough for me in some instances. And you're a taller guy than me I seem to recall.

I'm 6' 1" and it's fine. I don't need the camera to be at my eye level exactly. I'd rather have the size portability of the TVC-23.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    I'm 6' 1" and it's fine. I don't need the camera to be at my eye level exactly. I'd rather have the size portability of the TVC-23.
    Makes sense. You saved almost pound that way. I think at my advanced age, I'd rather carry the extra pound and not have to bend over as much. :rutt
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    Makes sense. You saved a almost pound that way. I think at my advanced age, I'd rather carry the extra pound and not have to bend over as much. :rutt

That was my thought as well. rolleyes1.gif I'm taking mine backpacking for three days at the end of April. I could remove the center post to save the weight but I figured the convenience of having it if needed is worth the extra pound.

I'll be sore enough from the backpacking. I don't need to add to it by hunching over a low tripod. :D
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    Just spent a day using mine and I love it. No center column needed but I am 5'9".
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    Just spent a day using mine and I love it. No center column needed but I am 5'9".
    Great. We'll have to hook up soon and compare tripod, Dan. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    Prior to this TVC 23 I used the Gizto 2530 with no center column (had a Markins plate in it) - and it's nearly the same height (RRS TVC 23 is about 1/2" taller). I never had any issue with the height of the Gitzo 2530. So I'm gonna be way fine.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    RRS has come out with a couple new models, extending their lineup. They added a long version of the 2-series, and a short and a long version of the 3-series.

choose_a_tripod.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2011
    They have also added a leveling base for 2-series tripods. They say it will be shipping sometime early June... hoping that they are overly conservative on their ship datesmwink.gif
    RRS has come out with a couple new models, extending their lineup. They added a long version of the 2-series, and a short and a long version of the 3-series.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011

That TVC-24L looks delicious. iloveyou.gif

Maybe in my next life or after I win the lottery... rolleyes1.gif
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    The next time they extend their line, can they extend my wallet? More choices to look at for more shooting.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2011
    Whoa. The RRS TVC-33 is awesome - it just arrived and I can't wait to use it, it'll be my choice for when I want my BH-55 and don't have to go hiking miles and miles. Also for serious stitched pano work, with big lenses.
  • Options
    KyleKyle Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2011
    Whoa. The RRS TVC-33 is awesome - it just arrived and I can't wait to use it, it'll be my choice for when I want my BH-55 and don't have to go hiking miles and miles. Also for serious stitched pano work, with big lenses.

mine arrived last week, awesome tripod, congrats!
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    OK, so what do you guys who have bought the RRS tripods see as advantages of them over the Gitzos? For reference, I'm using an old Gitzo 1548 that I got used which is the equivalent of a 5 series, only heavier. I love the stability, but the weight can be a bit much. So I'm looking for something a little easier to carry and maybe travel with.
    - Bill
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    I had a Gitzo aluminum montaineer before I got an RSS tripod. Of course the RSS is lighter. I don't have the Gitzo any longer to do a direct comparison but the RSS "feels" just as stable, and maybe more so than the Gitzo. I got TVC-24 because it folds up shorter than the other RSS tripods. I don't think you will find stability to be an issue with the RSS tripods.
    billythek wrote: »
    OK, so what do you guys who have bought the RRS tripods see as advantages of them over the Gitzos? For reference, I'm using an old Gitzo 1548 that I got used which is the equivalent of a 5 series, only heavier. I love the stability, but the weight can be a bit much. So I'm looking for something a little easier to carry and maybe travel with.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2011
    Just a cell phone pic but here's my RSS TVC-23 at work on my last backpacking trip. :D

IMAG0446-XL.jpg