Options

RRS Tripods

13»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    billythek wrote: »
    OK, so what do you guys who have bought the RRS tripods see as advantages of them over the Gitzos? For reference, I'm using an old Gitzo 1548 that I got used which is the equivalent of a 5 series, only heavier. I love the stability, but the weight can be a bit much. So I'm looking for something a little easier to carry and maybe travel with.

Gitzos are stable. Really stable. You won't be disappointed with a Gitzo. RRS are, to me, an order of magnitude more stable.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Gitzos are stable. Really stable. You won't be disappointed with a Gitzo. RRS are, to me, an order of magnitude more stable.

'order' - Any way to quantify this, because in engineering terms this often refers to 10x?

pp
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    'order' - Any way to quantify this, because in engineering terms this often refers to 10x?

pp

Really hard to say, but technically, you're probably right - not 10x more stable :) I can set up Gitzo and RRS side by side, and just instantly feel how much more stable the RRS is. I did no scientific testing.
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to give them some more consideration and research. Too bad there are no standardized specs for tripods.
    - Bill
  • Options
    KyleKyle Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 20, 2011
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    Kyle wrote: »

Good info, thanks!
    - Bill
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I went to Jalama Beach yesterday with my son to do some shooting. It was incredibly windy. Windy enough to blow my tripod over (nothing was on it yet, thankfully). I attached the spike feet, and they made a huge difference. Glad I had them!

20110522-r2h64gjfe1kh21ph48ps6ga3qg.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Too rich for my blood but DAMN they look nice. :)