Options

These people are stealing EVERYONES photos from dgrin!!!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    You could try, "artscottfotografie.com" or "artscottfotografie", "Scott fotografie", "Scott fotografie dgrin", any combination with words longer then 3 letters.

Ahhhhh.... I always separate the words.......I never even thought of searching as if it were the actual web address.......Thanks
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    A number of my threads were copied as well.. Complaint sent.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited March 6, 2011
    It appears that the site is finally shut down.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2011
    Ziggy only the forum is gone......the links on that page go to forums in what looks like Arabiceek7.gifhuh.......so with out knowing how to read it and write in it...we can't search it to see if the same thing is going on the forums that are linked to.......headscratch.gifscratchne_nau.gifdunno
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Ziggy only the forum is gone......the links on that page go to forums in what looks like Arabiceek7.gifhuh.......so with out knowing how to read it and write in it...we can't search it to see if the same thing is going on the forums that are linked to.......headscratch.gifscratchne_nau.gifdunno

You can use a translation service if you wish to read the pages but I do not believe that any rampant copying of our images or messages is still occurring.

Feel free to search the site for your content as before if you wish. Searching for your images would not be affected by another language.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011

The forum was taken down, your clicking on a link to a totally different forum. This other forum is not copying our images, so all is good.
    The problem seems to have been totally taken care of :D
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited August 18, 2011
    They're back
    I was doing some idle Googling and discovered that en.jo1jo.com is back and doing exactly the same scam--wholesale copying and reposting from Dgrin and other Internet forums. Twenty two of my posts were copied, starting in May and continuing up to a couple of days ago. I didn't look, but I have no doubt that many others have been copied as well.

As before, the domain is registered in Jordan, though the data have changed a bit:
    Domain Name: jo1jo.com
    Registrar: Spot Domain LLC

Expiration Date: 2012-08-28 12:57:29
    Creation Date: 2006-08-28 12:57:29

Name Servers:
    ns3.almnarh.com
    ns4.almnarh.com

REGISTRANT CONTACT INFO
    mohammad alhoatat
    mohammad alhoatat
    jordan / amman
    sweileh 11910 POBox 973
    amman
    amman
    JO
    Phone: +962.00962788216091
    They have a new hosting service in Las Vegas:

IP: 208.64.28.165
    Name Versaweb, LLC
    Handle VERSA14
    Street 1110 Palms Airport Dr
    Suite 110
    City Las Vegas
    State/Province NV
    Postal Code 89119
    Country US
    Registration Date 2010-07-29
    Last Updated 2011-05-03
    Comments Please send all abuse reports to our listed Abuse POC. Abuse reports sent to other contacts will not be processed.
    RESTful Link http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/VERSA14
    Referral Server rwhois://rwhois.versaweb.com:4321
    Phone +1-702-518-9999 (Office)
    Send your DMCA takedown notices here:

Email abusereports@versaweb.com

rolleyes1.gif

Edit: This is a long thread, so for the benefit of the lazy, this site is reposting stuff from Dgrin. If you want to find out whether your pics have been reposted, go to en.jo1jo.com/vb2 and do a search on your Web site name. That will pick up your pics that they have embedded.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2011
    Thanks Richard, I just sent my Copyright Claim and DMCA takedown notice request to that e-mail address.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    wow just saw this and yep almost all my recent and not so recent posts are there!!
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2011
    Thanx Richard.....

Guess I am lucky this time around or the filter for that keeps saying my 1st name is too short or too common is stopping me from finding my pix.....Hmmmmm

Edit...seems that I am on there also.....and it seems that there are posts from back when it was shut down the last time....none of my pix are showing up...but the posts are there with pic title and description but no image...so I must have broke the links the last time......I cannot believe this person....and it is weird how the only reples are a repost of the text part of my posts...like some sort of bot..........

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    confirmed
    found 13 of my posts too

and a lot of others
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Thanx Richard.....

Guess I am lucky this time around or the filter for that keeps saying my 1st name is too short or too common is stopping me from finding my pix.....Hmmmmm

Edit...seems that I am on there also.....and it seems that there are posts from back when it was shut down the last time....none of my pix are showing up...but the posts are there with pic title and description but no image...so I must have broke the links the last time......I cannot believe this person....and it is weird how the only reples are a repost of the text part of my posts...like some sort of bot..........

did you see this crap ?
    http://en.jo1jo.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=285676
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    The username divid on that forum has 136,198 posts since 5/11/10, roughly 474 posts/day. Global stats for the site are: Threads: 862,751, Posts: 862,757, meaning there have been all of six replies!

Think it might be a bot? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    ^^
    could be , or else its a wierdo
    it or he should be stopped or blocked from DGrin

edit
    its a bot allright
    Last Activity: 05-11-2010 04:10 AM
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    it or he should be stopped or blocked from DGrin
    Easier said than done, I'm afraid. We only know the IP address of the server, but the machines that are doing the harvesting from Dgrin will likely be using different addresses. All they look like to us are guests viewing a thread, so I don't know how we could identify them.

Last time we saw these guys, we were successful in getting the hosting service to shut them down, and we can probably do it again if everyone will just send their documented complaints to the abuse address above. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    understood
    but , if they get kicked off of the web ,
    they change the name and or IPaddress and they are back again

what i dont understand is , WHY
    linking to some beautiful photo's , understood
    but , copying entire forums is weird
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    Can't their access to Smugmug be blocked? Seems like that was done for something else like this a while back....
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Can't their access to Smugmug be blocked? Seems like that was done for something else like this a while back....
    They aren't accessing SmugMug, but are simply copying the links that appear in Dgrin posts. It's your own browser that actually requests the image from SmugMug when it renders the page.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    They aren't accessing SmugMug, but are simply copying the links that appear in Dgrin posts. It's your own browser that actually requests the image from SmugMug when it renders the page.
    not .............
    it also displays original text
    not from SmugMug but from DGrin
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    not .............
    it also displays original text
    not from SmugMug but from DGrin
    My point is that SmugMug has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    maybe a download-block or right click-block , perhaps ?

i know sites with much lesser quality then DGrin , and they use it
    [ dont know if it will stop idiots like this Divid dude ]
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Thanks Richard, I just sent my Copyright Claim and DMCA takedown notice request to that e-mail address.

I just forwarded yesterday's e-mail with the DMCA takedown notice request additionally to:

admin@versaweb.com

attn: Rob Tyree (the admin contact name.)

I also BCCd some "interested parties". I would like to be civil but I hate being ignored on matters like this.

The exact content of my e-mail:

"Copyright Claim

To Versaweb.com:

I am the copyright owner of one of the photographs being infringed at:

http://en.jo1jo.com/vb2

... specifically the image at:

http://en.jo1jo.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=580526

This letter is official notification under the provisions of Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) to effect removal of the above-reported infringements. I request that you immediately issue a cancellation message as specified in RFC 1036 for the specified postings and prevent the infringer, who is identified by its Web address, from posting the infringing photographs to your servers in the future. Please be advised that law requires you, as a service provider, to “expeditiously remove or disable access to” the infringing photographs upon receiving this notice. Noncompliance may result in a loss of immunity for liability under the DMCA.

I have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of here is not authorized by me, the copyright holder, or the law. The information provided here is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I swear under penalty of perjury that I am the copyright holder.

Please send me at the address noted below a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to resolve this matter.

Sincerely, ... (my full legal name and dominant e-mail address)
    "
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Anyone can feel free to copy my quoted e-mail text but be sure to change the offending link to one that is pertinent to yourself and then add your full legal name and a reliable e-mail contact address.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2011
    Ziggy that email looks almost like the one I sent with the exception that I had 8 links to the original post on Dgrin and also the 8 offending posts........

I looked over the sight and there were very few other posters and it seemed all links I clicked on took me to the same sight in Arabic..............

• Options
    edited August 20, 2011

Nope missed that one.......I had 8 last night that I could find...........

I know the last time this happened and I said the links on the sight went to arabic forums that I was told the arabic forums are not the problem......think I may send message to Awais and have him look it over...I, ofcourse do not read Arabic so cannot search the linked forums...but it could be they are related to each other...this jo1jo and the Arabic forums that is................

• Options
    edited August 20, 2011
    As mentioned above, jo1jo.com is registered in Jordan and hosted in Las Vegas by Versaweb, LLC. Our stuff is appearing in the English language section of the site, en.jo1jo.com, but the main landing page is Arabic. If you want to know what's there, just use Google language tools to translate the page--all you need to supply is the URL. I wonder whether they're stealing the Arabic content as well. Wouldn't surprise me.

In the meantime, I have received no acknowledgment of my complaint from Versaweb and the infringing content is still online. Has anyone gotten any response yet? ear.gif
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    understood
    but , if they get kicked off of the web ,
    they change the name and or IPaddress and they are back again

what i dont understand is , WHY
    linking to some beautiful photo's , understood
    but , copying entire forums is weird

I'm not an expert, but I think what they're doing is marketing their "forum" to advertisers, who pay based upon traffic and clicks. If the forum appears to be active, with lots of participants and regular activities/posts, it appeals to advertisers because of the perceived exposure. If these hackers have figured out a way to automate the replication of a linked forum's real activity, they can collect advertising revenue without any of the responsibility/work of the real forum site.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    Since I don't post many photos on Dgrin, and don't start many threads, I don't seem to have any photos on this scam site.

However, I did send the following notification to multiple sites that the scammer is stealing from:
    WillCAD wrote:
    Fake forum stealing your forum's content

Hello,

The following site is some sort of scam. It uses a crawler or bot to illegally copy content from other Vbulletin sites and post it as its own, probably so the owner can make revenue from per-click advertising by falsely inflating his click-throughs. One of the sites it steals content from is yours.

http://en.x1x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2&order=desc&page=3

The service provider who hosts the site is a Las Vegas-based company called Versaweb. To have your stolen content removed, you must send them an email informing them that they are in violation of the DMCA and requesting removal. Their contact address is admin@versaweb.com

I am sending this to as many their victim forums as I can, in the hope that, if they get enough complaints, Versaweb will block the site's ability to steal content from other sites.

I sent it to these sites, which all have "member names" in the scam site's member list:
    ai-stockmarketforum.com
    anandtech.com
    beyond3d.com
    chiefdelphi.com
    cityofheroes.com
    conceptart.org
    deeperblue.com
    freebsd.org
    iphonedevsdk.com
    johnstonefitness.com
    majorgeeks.com
    overclockers.com
    physicsforums.com
    realestatewebmasters.com
    runesofmagic.com
    steampowered.com
    tantalk.com
    tdiclub.com
    tunisia.com

Maybe this will stir up some trouble for the scammer.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2011
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Maybe this will stir up some trouble for the scammer.
    nod.gif Let's hope so. Nice move. Thanks. thumb.gif