Options

the dgrin game - post your comments here!

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    I was watching this beautifull video of one in the water.
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    Huuummm I like this iloveyou.gif
    209944695_FZb8v-X2.jpg
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 5, 2008
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Thanks, Angelo! Travel Town in Griffith Park. One of my older son's favorite hangouts. :D
    Chris
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Huuummm I like this iloveyou.gif

Thanks, Antonio. I like it too, but may be most of all because I have great memories of that place. It's the inside of the little church of SS Trinita di Ghiffa, at the Lago Maggiore in Italy.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 9, 2008
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    Gary...

You ROCK man!

62033181_dV8wk-M.jpg

He surely does ! iloveyou.gifD
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 14, 2008
    Fantastic shot, Stan. clap.gifclap

4249854_AuRg3-S.jpg

Cheers,
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Fantastic shot, Stan. clap.gifclap

Cheers,

Thank you Richard. It was shot in Sri Lanka near Sigiriya. We came across him in a mud hole washing his elephant with a coconut husk :D

Stan
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    Richard. Very nice shot iloveyou.gif
    Valencia ?
    131150265_qvc6L-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    Richard. Very nice shot iloveyou.gif
    Valencia ?

Thanks, Toni. It was Carnival in Madrid.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Stan that is amazing looking soil. How deep does it go down & what do farms go for per/acre with it ?

We had soil that good on our old family farm & it was about 90 feet deep. Our newer farm was about half that colour & only a few feet deep.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    Every time I see this shot it just blows me away. Fantastic.

206723232_tqPmW-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Every time I see this shot it just blows me away. Fantastic.

206723232_tqPmW-S-1.jpg
    Tks..mate it wasnt easy...i think i only had 3 chances for the fly by & twice i got a dud & i got him on the last run. Thats full frame btw...i should have been back further but you know how air shows go...no-one knows anything until after its happened. I titled it ' panning at 600 kph '
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Stan that is amazing looking soil. How deep does it go down & what do farms go for per/acre with it ?

We had soil that good on our old family farm & it was about 90 feet deep. Our newer farm was about half that colour & only a few feet deep.

Hi Gus.
    The soil is heavy clay over chalk. There is no real bottom to it. The price is fairly bouyant now since wheat prices are increasing. Land was fetching anout £3,500 an acre or AU$7,750. but now the price has alomst doubled.

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    Stan wrote:
    Hi Gus.
    The soil is heavy clay over chalk. There is no real bottom to it. The price is fairly bouyant now since wheat prices are increasing. Land was fetching anout £3,500 an acre or AU$7,750. but now the price has alomst doubled.

Cheers
    Stan
    I assumed it was black basalt (volcanic) soil. Wow thats expensive land ! The good black soil cropping land here is about £800 acre for about a 2000 acre block without irrigation (we had pretty well forgotten what water was here until la nina re-appeared this summer.)

Whats a ton of wheat worth & how many ton/acre ? I saw my father sell as low as £30/ton whilst the yanks & euros fought tooth & nail with their subsidies which ended 100 years of my families farming history. We would harvest half ton/acre over 2000 acres most years. In the end it wasnt worth starting the machinery.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    Feed wheat is about £180/T up from £60 18 months ago. milling premiums are about £25/T. That has a knock on effect to the meat and dairy producers. We yield about 4T/acre 10T/ha but that comes at greatly increased input costs Rainfall here is fairly predictable at about 24" a year and no real extremes of temperature.

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    Stan wrote:
    We yield about 4T/acre
    I once saw 2T/acre. I cant imagine what 4 would look like. Ive see people harvesting 6 bags/acre here.

In Australia the latest form of child abuse is handing the farm down to your children.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    gus wrote:
    In Australia the latest form of child abuse is handing the farm down to your children.

Tee Hee :D I resemble that comment

Stan
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Looks like your cat is flipping you off! rolleyes1.gifrofl

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    237891381_vbZHT-S.jpg

Gus, I think you're on the wrong side of the road . . . .
    mwink.gifeek7.gifmwink.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    237891381_vbZHT-S.jpg

Gus, I think you're on the wrong side of the road . . . .
    mwink.gifeek7.gifmwink.gif
    It was taken from ian408's audi in Idaho (i think) & i got home & i sat looking at it for weeks & didnt like it for some reason...so i flipped it & now im happy.

Journalistic license.

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Rob (Eyeful),

213436418_W64Jt-S.jpg

I know this shot from your galleries, and it's truely lovely. For outsiders the next line will look like a cliche from many forums, but Rob will know what I mean: it could look great printed large and framed, and hanging on the wall in your office.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    John Mueller, it looks like your bug is miming sitting in a chair! rolleyes1.gif
    34856754_UNXMJ-L.jpg

Been a pleasure swapping associations with you.

Too often they are banal. I like real switch-ups.

thumb.gif

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    I believe 'the dgrin game' is much improved, of late. When I first came on board not too long ago, I went through all the pages up to that time (many pages) and was appalled ay what I saw. (Even posted on it there, not realizing there was this thread for that). To many repeats of the same images. To many long runs of the "same content".

No real play, except now and then, off of the content with interesting jumps in themes and looks.

I try to never repeat an image (though I may at some point, for a different association than the first time). That is one of my pet peeves. not just repeat posts of the same image, but for the same association.
    Come On!

Let's have some real fun with this, as John and I have had for the recent string of images (thank you John).

Nuff sed!

end of Rant!

Don
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    I believe 'the dgrin game' is much improved, of late. When I first came on board not too long ago, I went through all the pages up to that time (many pages) and was appalled ay what I saw. (Even posted on it there, not realizing there was this thread for that). To many repeats of the same images. To many long runs of the "same content".

No real play, except now and then, off of the content with interesting jumps in themes and looks.

I try to never repeat an image (though I may at some point, for a different association than the first time). That is one of my pet peeves. not just repeat posts of the same image, but for the same association.
    Come On!

Let's have some real fun with this, as John and I have had for the recent string of images (thank you John).

Nuff sed!

end of Rant!

Don
    After reading that it appears as if our forum/thread was lacking & is now truly enlightened just to have your presence.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    After reading that it appears as if our forum/thread was lacking & is now truly enlightened just to have your presence.
    Yes it has come across that way, but if you look back at the early part of the game thread, it, to me, seemed to be way too repetitive. I don't think I am the only one to have changed that, but I think this game is more more interesting to watch and play when the images change up more with subtler segues of ideas.

There are an awful lot of photos out there and connections to be explored, that's all I'm saying. It is only a game. Just trying to take it to a higher level, like our photography.

:D

Don
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Actually, I take that back. The dgrin game is Not only 'a game'. Or, at least, it shouldn't be. It is something that can expand the awareness of the images we take. Get users looking at images differently and maybe even improve and alter some how users go about deciding what images to take.

We all get in ruts of taking certain types of images, wildlife, macro, sports. It's always nice to expand ones horizons, like going to one of Craig Tanner's Next step workshops or Nikolai's 'Weekly assignments'.

Variety, the spice of life.

Don
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Actually, I take that back. The dgrin game is Not only 'a game'. Or, at least, it shouldn't be.

headscratch.gif
    I do catch the meaning of your post, but sometimes a game is simply a game. No specific message, meaning, challenge, or effort. Simply, what "card" do I have in my hand to play in this game? That's always been my approach to this.

There are the challenges and assignments to help me grow and expand my skills - I view the association game as unstructured fun.

Variety happens when it happens. Sometimes 10 birds in a row. Sometimes a staccato, rapid-fire series of almost disconnected scenes.

And when my first association post was well over 7000 photos ago, I probably have a couple of redundant shots in the game . . . oh wellne_nau.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen