Options

Taking the social thing too far...

mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
edited May 27, 2011 in Dgrin Forum Support
I came to check out DGrin today and was greeted by the following banner at the top of the page:
Hi mbellot! It looks like you've not posted in a few weeks...why not take a few moments, let us know you're here, help provide a solution, or share some photos?
OK, fine, so when I first show up needle me that I'm not participating... Except it appears to be glued to the top of every page - including the one I was typing on to start this thread.

Enough! Can't a guy just lurk? :rolleyes

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    Yeah, and we're going to send some guys to break your knees if you don't post a pic in the next 48 hours. rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I never knew we had nag messages. And no, I don't like that either. We'll look into it.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    It looks like it worked and got you to post. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    A true "nag screen" would be an overlay that you would have to click on to get where you're going. We don't do that.

DGrin works because of its contributors. Participation is encouraged but not required.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    mbellot wrote: »
    I came to check out DGrin today and was greeted by the following banner at the top of the page:

OK, fine, so when I first show up needle me that I'm not participating... Except it appears to be glued to the top of every page - including the one I was typing on to start this thread.

Enough! Can't a guy just lurk? rolleyes1.gif

Man you were gone three weeks? That mssg. thing seems odd for 3-some weeks.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Enough! Can't a guy just lurk? rolleyes1.gif

simple.....just never sign out.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    DGrin works because of its contributors. Participation is encouraged but not required.

I agree. And I have participated in the past when I felt it was appropriate. Being needled to do so is unwelcome.
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Man you were gone three weeks? That mssg. thing seems odd for 3-some weeks.

I visit regularly, sometimes more than once a day. I just don't post that often.
    Art Scott wrote: »
    simple.....just never sign out.......

I think you mean "never sign in", but then I lose features like thread tracking.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    I agree. And I have participated in the past when I felt it was appropriate. Being needled to do so is unwelcome.

I visit regularly, sometimes more than once a day. I just don't post that often.

The issue here is your objection to the message encouraging you to be active on the forum. I agree its a pain to get nagged.

As a mod here I find my main activity to be trying to make my little area lively and to encourage participation & interaction (aka - nagging). W/O participation this would be a rather boring place. It would not be a place that someone would want to lurk in.

Now I realize that lots of folks, like yourself, would rather not jump in and participate and thats cool. I also think that one of the reasons that they lurk here is that they find the discussions and pictures interesting. The parts of Dgrin that bring you back here are the partly the result of the "nagging" you object to. Its irritating for sure but a small price to put up with.

So please forgive us our occasional nag and feel free to lurk here all you want.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    The issue here is your objection to the message encouraging you to be active on the forum. I agree its a pain to get nagged.

As a mod here I find my main activity to be trying to make my little area lively and to encourage participation & interaction (aka - nagging). W/O participation this would be a rather boring place. It would not be a place that someone would want to lurk in.

Now I realize that lots of folks, like yourself, would rather not jump in and participate and thats cool. I also think that one of the reasons that they lurk here is that they find the discussions and pictures interesting. The parts of Dgrin that bring you back here are the partly the result of the "nagging" you object to. Its irritating for sure but a small price to put up with.

So please forgive us our occasional nag and feel free to lurk here all you want.

I don't get it.

Why would I WANT to lurk?

I can see why I would to long enough to see if I wanted to participate...other than that I would feel like an eavesdropper. Not something I would aspire to.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    I don't get it.

I can see why I would to long enough to see if I wanted to participate...other than that I would feel like an eavesdropper. Not something I would aspire to.

You would never lurk Ric, not your nature, but as they say "different strokes, for different folks".
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    "different strokes, for different folks".

I get that....it's the why I don't get.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    I don't get it.

Why?

Because I mostly visit DGrin to find out about new features. I spend 99.9% of my time in the SM Support and SM Pro Support sub-forums.

DGrin (to me) is an information and support system for my SM Pro account, not a place to hang out and socialize. YMMV.

Harryb - As I said, I do get involved from time to time when I come across a topic that interests or impacts me. This would be a fine example.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    These are known as user notices in the vbulletin world. The administrator can make these dismissable and non-dismissable. I'm surprised it isn't set to dismissable.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    I don't get it.

Hey, give him BONUS points for NOT chiming in with BS drama as some are seemingly want to do!

Isn't the welcoming mssg: Lurk all you want?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Hey, give him BONUS points for NOT chiming in with BS drama as some are seemingly want to do!

Isn't the welcoming mssg: Lurk all you want?

Are you opposed to BS drama? :yikes

That's positively unAmerican. Where would the internet be w/o BS drama?
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    Why?

Because I mostly visit DGrin to find out about new features. I spend 99.9% of my time in the SM Support and SM Pro Support sub-forums.

DGrin (to me) is an information and support system for my SM Pro account, not a place to hang out and socialize.

Oh...now I get it. rolleyes1.gif

No wait.....NO I don't! headscratch.gif

I was talking to Harry, anyway.....he likes to socialize....sometimes.:D
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    Oh...now I get it. rolleyes1.gif

No wait.....NO I don't! headscratch.gif

I was talking to Harry, anyway.....he likes to socialize....sometimes.:D

That's why I'm known as the amiable mod.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2011
    Are you opposed to BS drama? :yikes

That's positively unAmerican. Where would the internet be w/o BS drama?

Oh...ya got me! Geesh! You're right it would be quite boring saying over and over: Yes, nice set rico, but the bird on the left has a bit of leftover down so it has to be an tyrannosaurus-ostrich..or some sort~~:D

fu-give me~
    tom wise
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    What an over sensitive lot we are sometimes - it's hardly intrusive is it?

Actually now that I'm probably old enough to be Grandma to most of you posting on here I find it really helpful to have these little reminders about how long it is since I last visited Dgrin. I feel loved when I see that little message suggesting I should post something - Aaah they missed me, they don't mind my stupid questions, they remember my name ....... rolleyes1.gifrofl

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2011
    caroline wrote: »
    What an over sensitive lot we are sometimes - it's hardly intrusive is it?

Actually now that I'm probably old enough to be Grandma to most of you

So...where are my cookies?! :D
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    So...where are my cookies?! :D

The Cookie Monster ate them all rolleyes1.gif

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    Bump - Got to get rid of it again for another couple weeks.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2011
    Bump - Got to get rid of it again for another couple weeks.

+1 rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    +1 rolleyes1.gif

Hi, thanks for bumping this. I know you want us to change it. But we have a ton of folks on Dgrin, and have heard from .0001 % of folks that are having an issue with this or don't like it. We'll keep watching though. Thanks!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    I think you mean "never sign in", but then I lose features like thread tracking.

No I meant never sign out / off......I stay signed in 24/7/365......Dgrin is on a tab, so if I wanna check in I clik the tab...it says at the bottom of the main page who is on the forum now......only time I go away is when I shut down laptop to clear cookies ....about 2 minutes a day or if I decide to let laptop sleep for the night.....but I have never seen the message you are talking about....so again I will suggest to never sign out / off........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for bumping this. I know you want us to change it. But we have a ton of folks on Dgrin, and have heard from .0001 % of folks that are having an issue with this or don't like it. We'll keep watching though. Thanks!

Andy, he is only bumping this because he is forced to post by the nagging msg (to get rid of it). Forum administrators should make that msg dismissable to prevent these posts. Nagging: ok, but do not enforce posting.

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    StashStash Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »
    Andy, he is only bumping this because he is forced to post by the nagging msg (to get rid of it). Forum administrators should make that msg dismissable to prevent these posts. Nagging: ok, but do not enforce posting.

cheers,
    Nick.

I get the message all the time, but goodness it's ONE line. When i get tired of seeing it, I post! ne_nau.gif
    C&C always welcome. I can't learn if I don't know what I've done wrong or could do better.

http://donbirch.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Stash wrote: »
    I get the message all the time, but goodness it's ONE line. When i get tired of seeing it, I post! ne_nau.gif

As does mbellot. Remember, he is only here for SmugMug support and has no wish to share photo's etc. I can understand his POV (paying customer being nagged by his supplier to do things not related to the service he pays for etc.)

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

Andy - I'm only bumping to get rid of the nag message.

"Fix" it or don't, doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    I'm only bumping to get rid of the nag message.

Shucks....I thought you just wanted to see how we were all doing. :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Andy - I'm only bumping to get rid of the nag message.

"Fix" it or don't, doesn't really matter.

We're in the process of redesigning Dgrin, I'll ask if it can be adjusted :D