Options

Taking the social thing too far...

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for bumping this. I know you want us to change it. But we have a ton of folks on Dgrin, and have heard from .0001 % of folks that are having an issue with this or don't like it. We'll keep watching though. Thanks!
    I think a lot of people won't post about an issue, and just go away. Online feedback is a terrible way to judge overall satisfaction outside of the Bay Area. Not everyone is that interlaced with technology and wants to fool with it.

It's not that hard to change the notice to where it still appears, but is dismissible. It's the 'Persistant' option:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/edit_notice

Admincp-->Notices-->Notices Manager-->whatever the notice is called-->Persistant-->No
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Shucks....I thought you just wanted to see how we were all doing. :D

I can do that just fine without saying a word. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    We're in the process of redesigning Dgrin, I'll ask if it can be adjusted :D

Until then... Just getting rid of the nag again.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    mbellot wrote: »
    Until then... Just getting rid of the nag again.
    And here's exactly how easy it is for them to do it:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1594833&postcount=32
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    I think a lot of people won't post about an issue, and just go away. Online feedback is a terrible way to judge overall satisfaction outside of the Bay Area. Not everyone is that interlaced with technology and wants to fool with it.

It's not that hard to change the notice to where it still appears, but is dismissible. It's the 'Persistant' option:

Admincp-->Notices-->Notices Manager-->whatever the notice is called-->Persistant-->No

Maybe that's not supported in our VB, Samir - I just looked and this doesn't appear under "Notices" headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Maybe that's not supported in our VB, Samir - I just looked and this doesn't appear under "Notices" headscratch.gif
    Hmmm...interesting. Here's the screenshot from the online vb 3.8.5 doc:
    notices-editor-upper.png

Does your screen for the options of the notice not match this? headscratch.gif Let me know what yours shows if it's different and I'll see what I can figure out.

I did a search for 'notices' here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?manualversion=30805500
    to get this link:
    The option should be under Admincp-->Notices-->Notices Manager-->whatever the notice is called-->Persistant-->No

I even checked the 3.8.4 doc just in case, and it shows the same doc. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Hmmm...interesting. Here's the screenshot from the online vb 3.8.5 doc:
    notices-editor-upper.png

Does your screen for the options of the notice not match this? headscratch.gif Let me know what yours shows if it's different and I'll see what I can figure out.

I did a search for 'notices' here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?manualversion=30805500
    to get this link:
    The option should be under Admincp-->Notices-->Notices Manager-->whatever the notice is called-->Persistant-->No

I even checked the 3.8.4 doc just in case, and it shows the same doc. headscratch.gif

This isn't a notice that we configure, it's just part of the software afaict - I only can find it when searching for phrases.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Look at the -last- screendump here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/edit_notice

The 7th option is the one : "user has not posted for..."

If you don't see these options, you might lack the access credentials.

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    This isn't a notice that we configure, it's just part of the software afaict - I only can find it when searching for phrases.
    Interesting.headscratch.gif Do you have a screenshot of the notice? Maybe it's coming from somewhere else.
    DeVerm wrote: »
    Look at the -last- screendump here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/edit_notice

The 7th option is the one : "user has not posted for..."

If you don't see these options, you might lack the access credentials.
    Those other options are on the same page. Anyone with credentials to the notices will have access to those options as well.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    I just thought of this, but it might be a plugin versus a user notice. If you could check the plugins and see if there's any that match that could be real culprit.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 10, 2011
    On the flip side; Is it too much to ask someone to participate when they receive benefit of the site?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    On the flip side; Is it too much to ask someone to participate when they receive benefit of the site?
    Oh, it isn't. Not at all. But when you start getting complaints, it's gone too far. And this is different for different communities.

I have users that complain about email notification, which I have on by default. But I also have others that need it as they wouldn't know to come back. But the ones that complain can turn it off, whereas here, they can't dismiss the notice or anything.

I'm still curious to see what it looks like. It doesn't sound like a user notice, and if so, maybe a dismissible user notice can do the same job and keep everybody happy. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011

Benefit? The user concerned is only here for Smugmug support. He is paying for that service.

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »
    Benefit? The user concerned is only here for Smugmug support. He is paying for that service.

cheers,
    Nick.
    But the counter-arguement to that would be that 'this isn't official SM support'. Semantics of course, but true nonetheless.

If someone has a screenshot of the message, I'd love to see it. thumb.gif I think I can figure out a win-win for everyone since I've had to do this in vb before.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    If someone has a screenshot of the message, I'd love to see it. thumb.gif I think I can figure out a win-win for everyone since I've had to do this in vb before.

Thanks for your offer of help.

Between us, we are going to make a decision about this.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    Thanks for your offer of help.

Between us, we are going to make a decision about this.
    If it's a plugin, I'm sure there's a reason why it's being used versus the built-in notices system. But if it's simply leftover from the earlier 3.0.x codebase, I think replacing that notice with one from the notices system would probably keep everyone happy.

I was interested in seeing the screenshot to see if I could determine if it was a plugin or not. I know I'm going to need one since the notices system doesn't cover everything I want to do on my site. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    We (the admin team) are discussing it and will decide what we will do.

If it's a plugin, I'm sure there's a reason why it's being used versus the built-in notices system. But if it's simply leftover from the earlier 3.0.x codebase, I think replacing that notice with one from the notices system would probably keep everyone happy.

I was interested in seeing the screenshot to see if I could determine if it was a plugin or not. I know I'm going to need one since the notices system doesn't cover everything I want to do on my site. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    We (the admin team) are discussing it and will decide what we will do.
    If it's a plugin you're using and wouldn't mind sharing which one, I'd appreciate it. Obviously it works well for you guys. Make it a lot easier than trying all the plugins out there.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011

I do participate, I didn't get to 300+ posts just by bumping this thread. But apparently it's not often enough to satisfy some people. rolleyes1.gif
    I'm still curious to see what it looks like.

It looks pretty much like what I put in the very first post. It's a simple text banner just under the DGrin photo banner.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    If it's similar to the 'Lurk...' message when you're not logged in, then that's definitely a plugin versus a user notice. A simple solution would be to start using the user notices and disable that plugin. Plugins were needed before the user notices were around, so that's why it's probably still there. thumb.gif Hopefully they'll figure all that out soon.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Thanks for your input Samir. As I've said a couple of times before, we are discussing this. As far as figuring it out, we know how to do that too thumb.gif
    If it's similar to the 'Lurk...' message when you're not logged in, then that's definitely a plugin versus a user notice. A simple solution would be to start using the user notices and disable that plugin. Plugins were needed before the user notices were around, so that's why it's probably still there. thumb.gif Hopefully they'll figure all that out soon.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2011
    Thanks for your input Samir. As I've said a couple of times before, we are discussing this. As far as figuring it out, we know how to do that too thumb.gif
    Oh, I know. My post was directed to mbellot.
  • Options
    brecklundinbrecklundin Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    me? Whenever some idiot site tries to cram crap like nags down my throat I just turn to Ad-Block or other browser plug-in and kill it permanently. There is NEVER a notice I want to see from ANY board I visit. That is WTF the threads are there to do...I am not here to support SM since as others have pointed out I pay them to do their damn job and keep the site running and fix issues as they come up. Anything else anyone chooses to do in the way or participation should be taken as a bonus by SM not a reason to harangue a user who is likely coming here because of a PROBLEM. We are not children nor looking to be "managed"...we are the CEO's of the businesses we own and run, respect that and all is fine. Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of that as a rule.

Also remember this, I suspect the majority of members are male and as a species we don't even like being approached by a sales person in a store even if they are simply saying hello...why? Because we are there for a specific purpose, if that purpose requires interaction with the staff or others we will initiate that contact. Last thing you want to do with a cranky bear is to poke it where it hurts. Bad things maaaaan, bad things.

Edit: BTW, not trying to sound like I think the SM support folks are worthless...on the contrary I have found them great, except for Andy's condescending smarmy attitude anyway. But was describing what such nags elicit in not only myself when visiting a support site. I think PentaxForums is far worse in this area, to the point I have nothing positive to say about it any longer. Dgrin would have to go waaaaay over to the darkside to reach that level of annoyance. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    me? Whenever some idiot site tries to cram crap like nags down my throat I just turn to Ad-Block or other browser plug-in and kill it permanently.

I run ABP, doesn't help, it is literally just a little text block that originates from DGrin, not some external ad site.

Funny you should post, it just came back today so this was an opportune time to kill it again for a brief while...

For anyone who is interested, this is what it looks like:
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    I run ABP, doesn't help, it is literally just a little text block that originates from DGrin, not some external ad site.

Try Aardvark.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Enough! Can't a guy just lurk? rolleyes1.gif

I've changed the message. Next time you get it, it should just welcome you back, and not ask you to do anything. When we make some other changes to the forum in the not-so-distant future, we'll try and eliminate that message altogether.

Cool?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Wait, that's it? You guys have been complaining about that one-line message? I thought it was a bigger, more obstructing message like a user notice. I think that style of message is perfectly fine. ne_nau.gif I'm actually shocked that so many people were that irritated by it. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    I'm actually shocked that so many people

If by so many you mean 5, then yeah :) But we've addressed it temporarily (as I posted above) and we'll see about adding a plugin that could disable it or make it dismiss-able in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    If by so many you mean 5, then yeah :) But we've addressed it temporarily (as I posted above) and we'll see about adding a plugin that could disable it or make it dismiss-able in the future.
    A lot of posts for 5 people. rolleyes1.gif But it's good to see it addressed nevertheless. thumb.gif
  • Options
    brecklundinbrecklundin Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011

Funny you should post, it just came back today so this was an opportune time to kill it again for a brief while...

Ahhh...I see, I haven't run into the nag but looks like Andy got something in place (luuuuuuuve you Andy...hahahaha rolleyes1.gif). I'll have to sleuth out the code and see what needs squelching...but if you've tried with ABP then it might not be doable that way, a first from my experience. Better that Dgrin changed the message or nag that way if there is something important we can still see it.