"Supermoon" this Saturday, March 19th

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited March 25, 2011 in Landscapes
Just a heads up to my fellow landscapers. The full moon Saturday night will be at its closest distance to Earth in the last 18 years. Moonrise on the east coast looks like right after sunset so hopefully will make for some good color. All you moon-experts, please post your advice regarding properly exposing for the moon. And please post your stuff here :wink
E

Comments

• Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Thanks for beating me to this! Im excited as well for this event and would like to hear some expert advice!

One thing i can add is that the moon always apears biggest when closest to the horizon so shortly around sunset is a good time to be getting ready, or already taking pictures! :) It'll be rising from the east!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Already scouted out my location with the TPE (the photographers ephemerisis - sp?)...
  • eyeforimageseyeforimages Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    Looking forward to this event, TPE is one of my fave apps and I have my location picked out as well... :D
    Paul Stoakes
    Eye For Images
    Site: http://www.eyeforimages.com
    Blog: http://blog.eyeforimages.com
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    ahhh man, I will be working. That TPE looks interesting tho, gonna have to check that out.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Already scouted out my location with the TPE (the photographers ephemerisis - sp?)...
    ephemeris
    Looking forward to this event, TPE is one of my fave apps and I have my location picked out as well... :D
    Cool app! I was just telling my wife yesterday I need to scope out a good location with a good foreground. Love my compass and the Velaclock app but this is sweet. And Stephen's website for help/training is one of the best I've seen in this class of apps.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • eyeforimageseyeforimages Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I wrote a little review of TPE for the iPad and completely agree that his training materials are spot on, then again, I'd expect the training to be good as his name is Stephen Trainor... ho ho... (I apologise now for the quality of that joke)... also it's a free app if you use it on a computer with Adobe Air... fine stuff :D
    Paul Stoakes
    Eye For Images
    Site: http://www.eyeforimages.com
    Blog: http://blog.eyeforimages.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I'm bummed because it's calling for rain tomorrow night here in Los Angeles. What are the odds... stupid luck.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I started practicing last night. :D

This was taken around 7:45 PM last night so the moon was a good 45 degree off the horizon.

Shot with my 7D and 70-200mm F2 lens at F5, ISO 400 & an exposure of 1/3200 sec

I spot metered off the moon in AV mode and let the camera set the exposure.

It should be clear here again tonight and I plan to try again with mirror lock up and ISO 100 to see if I can get anything a little crisper. Since I don't have a longer lens I plan to try my 1.4 TC as well. I expect that may soften it up a little but we'll see.

This is aprox a 100% crop:

1220202628_byCbB-X3.jpg
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Wow, we shot the same moon at around the same time lol

I also shot the moon last night for the second time ever (first attempts were TERRIBLE).

5536264460_850487b067_z.jpg

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited March 18, 2011
    Wally, yep, looks like almost identical images. Pretty funny. I think yours is bit crisper than mine. Well done.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Wow, we shot the same moon at around the same time lol
    Better than a different moon! eek7.gif

Nice shot, crisp and clear.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    Better than a different moon! eek7.gif

Now THAT would have been truly something to see. lol3.gif
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Just a heads up to my fellow landscapers. The full moon Saturday night will be at its closest distance to Earth in the last 18 years. Moonrise on the east coast looks like right after sunset so hopefully will make for some good color. All you moon-experts, please post your advice regarding properly exposing for the moon. And please post your stuff here mwink.gif
    E

I can't wait to try this!
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    bgarland wrote: »
    Wally, yep, looks like almost identical images. Pretty funny.
    I don't know another photographer who has a shooting angle different to that available to the rest of us! :D
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Too bad its supposed to be cloudy and snowy here tomorrow :( I really like The Photographer Ephemeris too.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I'm bummed because it's calling for rain tomorrow night here in Los Angeles. What are the odds... stupid luck.

:cry In same boat here, but I got to work anyway. We will have to look forward to the images from the fellow photographers.
    edited March 19, 2011
    Just in case it's cloudy tomorrow. :D

Here's my best shot of the night. This was taken with a 70-200 F2.8 lens with a 1.4 TC.

1220747532_thvce-X3.jpg
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Got the TPE program for both my iPad and desktop. it's bloody AMAZING! Hoping for clear skies tonight because my location is plotted!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited March 19, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Got the TPE program for both my iPad and desktop. it's bloody AMAZING! Hoping for clear skies tonight because my location is plotted!

I agree on the TPE app. I have been playing with it now for a few months. Very well done.

As far as shooting the moon for me this was good technical learning experience for me but I as far as just shooting the moon by itself a full moon is like shooting the moon surface at high Noon. You lose the surface shadows and contrast.

I think in the future for full moons I would concentrate on either images with it rising behind a cool foreground scene or turn around and just use the moon light to capture long exposure night shots of the landscape.

To really capture the contrasting details of the craters a half moon with the light shining across the surface to bring out the crater shadows is more appealing to me.
    edited March 19, 2011
    Wow! Just got back. Perfect moon rise without any low-lying clouds. TPE put me in just the right spot. Will post photos in a bit.
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    I wish I had a tele-converter or two :/

Here's what I got tonight (looks like the last one lol)

5541122427_c08c9c41c1_z.jpg

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited March 19, 2011
    Here's my best effort. Trying to see what I can come up with from the rest of the effort. Had to bracket the others and the HDR isn't coming out so good right now. Pretty happy with this one though

1221596437_fxgXT-L.jpg
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Down on the south shore of Long Island, shot with a Canon 40D and 100-400mm.

1 - Moonrise

1221592852_HLiZM-L.jpg

2 - Just past rising.

1221593177_o3qSv-L.jpg

3 - About an hour and a half after rising.

1221593197_H4mQp-L.jpg

4 - Trying to play with a composite, not sure I'm happy with the results...

1221603968_rRucQ-L.jpg
    edited March 20, 2011
    Super moon has to set too mwink.gif

1221975894_ewWty-L.jpg
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Nice shots people!
  • rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Very nice shots, I racked my brain of where to get a great shot and came up with nothing so we went to a local lake in Northern Ontario, Timmins. The moon rise here was around 8:15 PM.

1222029055_nPFwD-L.jpg

1222029095_JaFDW-L.jpg

1222029092_k7WHN-L.jpg
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • asp87asp87 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    5542254786_6832328a89_b.jpg

I wasn't near my camera till after 11pm and didn't think to go take a picture till almost 1am, but after about 30 attempts and many different settings, I shot this.

Equipment: Nikon D60, Spiratone 400mm f/6.3, Wallyworld Tripod, Nikon Remote
    Settings: ISO 100, f/22, 1/160, Instant remote release

This is also my second attempt at photographing the moon. As others experienced, the results of the previous attempt left much to be desired. I think a 1.4TC may have helped, but who knows. This is the first shot I've taken that I've been happy with from this lens. It has so much more CA and isn't nearly as sharp as my research indicated... Oh well, it was $50 and it's fun.
    Anthony
    Nikon D60, 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6, 35mm f/1.8, 70-300mm VRII f/4.5-5.6, Panagor 90mm f/2.8 1:1, SB-600, 68mm Kenko extension tubes
    Flickr
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Here's my best effort. Trying to see what I can come up with from the rest of the effort. Had to bracket the others and the HDR isn't coming out so good right now. Pretty happy with this one though

1221596437_fxgXT-L.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! It looks like a marble rolling down a hill. Nice!thumb.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Wow - these are ALL excellant. I hope we see more put here....
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Great collection of shot everyone.
    moose135 wrote: »
    Down on the south shore of Long Island, shot with a Canon 40D and 100-400mm.

1 - Moonrise

2 - Just past rising.

3 - About an hour and a half after rising.

4 - Trying to play with a composite, not sure I'm happy with the results...

Moose,

I like your first one best. The ones of just the moon are very good (far better than any of my attempts of the moon by itself.) The composite just isn't quite doing anything for me, not quite sure why. I like the clouds, and the reflection on the water.

rbustraen,

I think you found a good location. I like the shot of the moon rising in that location.