Stylist magic

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited April 8, 2011 in People
Had a great opportunity to work with a stylist by the name of David E Chandler the other day. It's quite amazing the transformation:

Before:

1241980825_gsyAu-L.jpg

After:

1241980839_Kq6rT-L.jpg
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Really remarkable. Your first almost looks like she got into some trouble and wound up with a mug shot.
  • wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Again remarkable what a difference
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    The transformation is amazing! Gorgeous model!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Yup - good MUA worth their weight in gold and can save a ton o' time of retouching/post! I'm looking for one to work with around here for my headshot ladies...........
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Yes it is. Very attactive model, I like that second shot.

I have to laugh when I see this...
    My very first model shoot...I walked in and there were three girls sitting at a table chatting...very average looking. Somebody told me they were the models and I remember thinking "this is going to be a long day".
    Well they went into makeup and got styled and changed, while I was off doing something else.

When I came back in I saw three Very Attractive models over by the mirror fidgeting with their "looks".
    When I saw them I asked them "where are the other models", they said "what other models?".
    When I realized it was the same three girls I said "Wow...I can't believe what a difference makeup makes,".......as soon as the words came out of my mouth I knew I messed up but there was no pulling them back.....I was right it was a long day!!!!!!
    edited April 6, 2011
    See, Zoomer, this is one of the reasons I have to do so much retouching work - most of my clients have done their own makeup, so I haven't had that Magic MUA Pixie Dust (TM Ltd) in the proceedings, and thus have had to make it LOOK like that after the fact!! rolleyes1.gif :lol (for those who haven't been following it and are confused... Mike and I have had a long-running debate on this, to the point it's now almost an in-jokethumb.gif)
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Ah!!!

Those photos show exactly how I feel before...and after... my morning coffee!!:D
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Wow! Kudos to the mua and the photographer. thumb.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
    edited April 6, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    See, Zoomer, this is one of the reasons I have to do so much retouching work - most of my clients have done their own makeup, so I haven't had that Magic MUA Pixie Dust (TM Ltd) in the proceedings, and thus have had to make it LOOK like that after the fact!! rolleyes1.gif :lol (for those who haven't been following it and are confused... Mike and I have had a long-running debate on this, to the point it's now almost an in-jokethumb.gif)

I definitely will meet you half way on this. Doing headshots is a lot different than what I do. When doing that 1 shot, that a working professional is going to use to sell themselves...a little extra time and attention to detail is definitely warranted.

It is great when you have a good MUA like the person who did this model, sure helps the photographer out!
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I have worked with MUAs and Stylist in the past but not of this caliber and quite frankly I was surprised as Mike pointed out, I thought the girls had disappeared and been replaced by others.
    David was very specific with what he wanted for this shoot...white backdrop with minimal shadows leaning towards high key for that high fashion look. I used every strobe in my bag for this two Elinchrom D-Lite 400s and two speed-lights. Three soft boxes and the Firefly beauty dish thingy for a blasting array of light.
    He was very pleased with the results and I hope this opens some doors for me with the connections he has.

This is the first time that I had "zero" skin touch-ups for shoots of this type and I gotta say it sure makes life easy in post processing...
    Thanks guys
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 6, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    Ah!!!

Those photos show exactly how I feel before...and after... my morning coffee!!:D

Yeah me too but I still don't look this good afterwards rolleyes1.gif
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 6, 2011

Diva there's nothing more frustrating when someone does their own makeup and it's a totally different skin shade as their neck and shoulders. Sometimes it looks like the face belongs on a different body.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 6, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Diva there's nothing more frustrating when someone does their own makeup and it's a totally different skin shade as their neck and shoulders. Sometimes it looks like the face belongs on a different body.

Haven't had that particular problem - most of these clients are performers, and therefore more skilled than many at doing their own faces - but in general they tend to use too light a hand, wind up "underdone" and thus require more touching-up. For my next shoot I'm working with a MUA - she's done more stage than photo so won't have quite the Pixie Dust (TM Ltd) of some experienced photographic stylists, but I LOVED what she did for stage as far as contouring and her general eye for flattering a face, so I'm confident she'll do well even if she has her own learning curve to deal with. Frankly, just having somebody else there to spot for flakes of mascara, smudged lips and stray hairs will be a blessing and let me concentrate more on shooting.
    edited April 6, 2011
    Haven't had that particular problem - most of these clients are performers, and therefore more skilled than many at doing their own faces - but in general they tend to use too light a hand, wind up "underdone" and thus require more touching-up. For my next shoot I'm working with a MUA - she's done more stage than photo so won't have quite the Pixie Dust (TM Ltd) of some experienced photographic stylists, but I LOVED what she did for stage as far as contouring and her general eye for flattering a face, so I'm confident she'll do well even if she has her own learning curve to deal with. Frankly, just having somebody else there to spot for flakes of mascara, smudged lips and stray hairs will be a blessing and let me concentrate more on shooting.

Hope the next shoot goes super smooth with regards to make up and styling :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    When I realized it was the same three girls I said "Wow...I can't believe what a difference makeup makes,".......

Gee. And to think, all this time I thought you were a pretty bright guy.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited April 6, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »

Ha ha.....my jaw dropped when they came out of make up...rolleyes1.gif
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 6, 2011

haha..believe me I paid the price for that little comment.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    This before and after should help the decision making process when you ask a client if they would like to use a MUA.
    Sam
    edited April 6, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Ha ha.....my jaw dropped when they came out of make up...rolleyes1.gif

I'm so confused....I thought that was my quote...in which case, applicable!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I reckon stylists are highly under rated by a lot of photographers - which is a shame as they can, and do, make a huge difference.

Unfortunately I rarely work with a stylist, but the few I have worked with were great - even just having a 2nd pair of eyes to pick up a crease here, a stray hair there, a twisted strap .....etc can save ages in post fixing the things you missed because you were too busy shooting. Whether it's the stylist or MUA, good make-up is the same, all that time in post saved without having to do a single touch-up is fantastic :)

Having someone tell me exactly what they want makes the job so much easier to plan and set-up for - and when they turn out a model that looks fantastic in gorgeous outfits with great hair and make-up ..... love those shoots!

The photographer has to play their part too of course and you've done a good job here Rey - nice shots :)

As for Zoomer's comment - you should try my line of work and the fetish world! Normally I see everyone already done up in dramatic make-up, big hair or wigs, huge high heels, corsets and over the top outfits with an attitude and personality to match. Then I get people come up to me at other times dressed normally, quiet and down to earth, and they start chatting to me and I've no idea who they are!
    If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
    www.warped-photography.com
    edited April 6, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    This before and after should help the decision making process when you ask a client if they would like to use a MUA.
    Sam

Sam I think I'll be casting for MUAs and stylists for future shoots of this nature if the client wants this type of thing done.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 6, 2011
    Warped wrote: »
    I reckon stylists are highly under rated by a lot of photographers - which is a shame as they can, and do, make a huge difference.

Unfortunately I rarely work with a stylist, but the few I have worked with were great - even just having a 2nd pair of eyes to pick up a crease here, a stray hair there, a twisted strap .....etc can save ages in post fixing the things you missed because you were too busy shooting. Whether it's the stylist or MUA, good make-up is the same, all that time in post saved without having to do a single touch-up is fantastic :)

Having someone tell me exactly what they want makes the job so much easier to plan and set-up for - and when they turn out a model that looks fantastic in gorgeous outfits with great hair and make-up ..... love those shoots!

The photographer has to play their part too of course and you've done a good job here Rey - nice shots :)

As for Zoomer's comment - you should try my line of work and the fetish world! Normally I see everyone already done up in dramatic make-up, big hair or wigs, huge high heels, corsets and over the top outfits with an attitude and personality to match. Then I get people come up to me at other times dressed normally, quiet and down to earth, and they start chatting to me and I've no idea who they are!

Thanks

That would be something else doing fetish type work I suppose. :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 6, 2011
    Model #2

Before:

1241951053_XCgtq-L.jpg

After:

1241951079_5xCAy-L.jpg
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Hey, wait. Is that the same dress??
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited April 6, 2011
    Hey, wait. Is that the same dress??

Oh damn they're good..surly that has to be a different girl :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 7, 2011
    Wow that is even more dramatic.
    It is also very interesting how they get an obvious confidence boost in the after shots.
    edited April 7, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Wow that is even more dramatic.
    It is also very interesting how they get an obvious confidence boost in the after shots.

:D And I thought that was painted on.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 7, 2011
    Very cool thread and great pics. thumb.gif Amazing transformations, but both of those girls are very striking even in the before shots.
    edited April 7, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Very cool thread and great pics. thumb.gif Amazing transformations, but both of those girls are very striking even in the before shots.

Absolutely. I think I actually prefer the red-hed in her "au naturel" state personally; I got the feeling she "switched on" more for the camera once she was in what amounted to costume and makeup, though.

Also, I think it's extraordinary what a difference the straightened hair makes - both of them are fluffy/curly girls, so when the hair's smooth and glossy, it REALLY changes their look.

Finally, eyebrows - on both girls these have not merely been groomed, but somewhat reshaped (and darkened); so easy to forget, but eyebrows make such a big difference to expression and overall look. What's hilarious is to see actors made up for TV through a camera which isn't the one they've been made up for - the eyebrows are so overdone in the outtakes/stills, although they look great for the medium the MUA's were actually styling for!

Great thread, Rey - thanks for sharing!
    edited April 7, 2011
    kdog wrote: »

I agree...I can see the beauty in natural looks as well as all made up :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo