Options

Why would you sell the client a DVD?

2»

Comments

• Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    My clients are not purchasing my images for scrap books. They are purchasing fine art, distinctive albums and wall collections. We cater to different markets and have different reasons for our business decisions.
    I was just giving a single personal example of why people would want several prints. My mother enjoys scrapbooking and spends hundreds of dollars on her hobby every year and her books are almost works of art in themselves. Honestly your response seemed rather insulting and inferred that your work is above such low brow uses. Maybe I'm reading into it wrong, but that's kind of the way it came off.
    They are purchasing fine art, distinctive albums and wall collections. We cater to different markets and have different reasons for our business decisions.
    And as I've indicated a couple times in my previous posts, when you show samples of these types of products they will sell themselves and they'll buy them from you whether they have the disc or not. If you're holding the disc so they have to purchase every 4x6 or wallet from you, I personally just feel it's an out-dated model.
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Seriously? Did you just say that?

I'm out of this conversation.

If you can't take a little criticism, you honestly don't belong here. One thing I love about this forum is that people call it like it is. I have received praise and criticism, and taken both as a learning opportunity. Your comment reinforces the feelings below.
    met wrote: »
    I was just giving a single personal example of why people would want several prints. My mother enjoys scrapbooking and spends hundreds of dollars on her hobby every year and her books are almost works of art in themselves. Honestly your response seemed rather insulting and inferred that your work is above such low brow uses. Maybe I'm reading into it wrong, but that's kind of the way it came off.

I am glad I am not the only one that felt this way. The reality is that we don't fully know what consumers want to do with our images. I look inwards then for what I think is right. I don't like being held hostage for reprints of my kids school or sports photos, and I get their business model. For the normal consumer, they may not get it, and certainly may not care. I prefer to give them what they want. From reading this whole thread, we are all in it for different reasons. I like shooting most of all, then the money. To each their own.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    If you can't take a little criticism, you honestly don't belong here. One thing I love about this forum is that people call it like it is. I have received praise and criticism, and taken both as a learning opportunity. Your comment reinforces the feelings below.

Oh, criticism I can take! Bring on a good, constructive discussion any day. I've been on these boards since 2006 and have learn volumes from the membership here. I found your comment insulting and I refuse to get into a pissing match with you.

We have different business models. End of story.
  • Options
    John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    Oh, criticism I can take! Bring on a good, constructive discussion any day. I've been on these boards since 2006 and have learn volumes from the membership here. I found your comment insulting and I refuse to get into a pissing match with you.

We have different business models. End of story.

I was wondering if the "scrapbooking" comment was directed at my post (the one right above yours). I'm fine with moms scrapbooking my photos, and in fact that is one of the reasons I offer the CD.

But then again, we're in two different mrkets and fields. I shoot large youth sporting events, where I may have upwards of 1000+ opotential customers. And my customers want CDs. So I diced them such that it is at a price-point that I am fine with and they feel is good value for quality photos of their child competing.

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • Options
    ZetZet Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Hi again. I want to thank you all for your advice. I have decided to add a package that offers all the edited hi-res. photos. I have been doing a lot of research on photographers in my area. Some of them charge crazy prices for the DVD! I'm trying to keep in mind my experiences with photographers when my children were very young. Most of the time I just wanted a very nice 8X10 and maybe a few 5x7 s for family members so I wasn't interested in a DVD. The only time I purchased a DVD was recently when both my parents were in town and my 2 sisters and I and all the nephews had a photo session. It was more cost effective to purchase the DVD. I would like to offer my clients options that they need at a price I'm happy with. Some one mentioned that the chance of clients coming back to reorder are very slim so I'm ok with selling them the images. Hopefully the will be happy with my work and my prices and come back again and again and refer friend. On that point I think a low res DVD with my watermark is a must! Free advertising!

This site has been a huge help to me while I slowly build up my business. I appreciate each one of you for helping me. Peace!

Elisete iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    The biggest thing that affects whether or not you should offer a CD of images is what you're shooting. Big difference between fine art and youth sports.

What ARE you shooting, Zet? You never told us, just asked why some would sell CDs.

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • Options
    ZetZet Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2011
    Portraits. Mostly children. Newborn, maternity.

I'm working on a web site. I'll post a link once it is finished.
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    Seriously? Did you just say that?

I'm pretty sure I did. Do you consider what looks like location snapshots to be "fine art"? I see no lighting modifiers, no posing, basically, just trying to capture some family moments. But I wouldn't call that "fine art".
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    orljustin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I did. Do you consider what looks like location snapshots to be "fine art"? I see no lighting modifiers, no posing, basically, just trying to capture some family moments. But I wouldn't call that "fine art".

I have to agree.

Maybe you could call it "fine art" as a marketing term to clients but to photographers, the term would usually be indicative of a very different look and style.