Best lenses for Hawaii hikes?

EmancipatorEmancipator Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited May 18, 2011 in Cameras
No brand preferences or financial restrictions. Thanks! :)

Comments

• ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011

Nikkor 600mm F4
  • EmancipatorEmancipator Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    So i'll need a long lens? I plan on doing the 22mile Kalalau. How about length versus weight? It'd be hard to carry that all over?
    edited April 28, 2011
    I was just kidding. Your question is rather broad but an 18-200 sounds like a good choice. I'd personally bring my 70-200 just because of higher image quality.

.... with my Tamron 17-50 and Tokina 11-16. I have all those lenses with me at all times as well as my Nikkor 35 and 50. I'd bring them all on a hike like that. I never ever use my 18-200 though... even though I suggested it for you.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    When Ned Bunnell (President of Pentax America) vacationed there, he blogged about taking only a Pentax DA 15 (for landscapey stuff), DA 35 macro (walk around and close up work), and FA 77 (for portraits and medium-tele work.)

I think that's a reasonable selection. Plus they're all small/light lenses which can be stuffed in a jacket pocket if needs be.
  • ScottWScottW Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I think it depends, what you want the lens to do for you? What are you hoping to capture?
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    I don't understand why anyone thinks a question like that can be answered at all. You take lenses depending on what you want to shoot in your personal style. Cartier-Bresson would probably have been completely happy with just a single 50mm lens, but you may want something different. I tend to suspect that questions of this sort come from people who don't really know what they want, and don't realize that asking the question is just a way of trading their uncertainty for what someone else wants.

In whatever situation you find yourself, you find the shots that can be made with the equipment you have with you. There are always so many possibilities that it isn't even funny. One of the problems with zoom lenses is that because they're so adaptable, they encourage people to be lazy and take the first shot that comes to mind.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 28, 2011
    You don't mention what you have for equipment, the purpose of the hikes (pleasure, personal photography, commercial photography), your itinerary (where you will be travelling and what you expect to see) and your level of expectations (image quality and need for post-processing.)

Please describe your trip in some detail if you would like some real recommendations.

My typical travel kit includes:

Canon 40D
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Canon 1.4x teleconverter
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Sigma DG Super flash
    Charger and spare battery.
    Flash modifiers.

This can all fit a "sling" backpack and yes, I can carry it all day if necessary. (14 lbs - 6.35 kg)

Depending on the purpose I'll also add or subtract things like:

A second body, either crop or FF.
    Additional lenses for specific subjects. (For instance a 500mm for wildlife or a 70-200mm, f2.8L for indoors events.)
    One or two tripods.
    Different tripod heads including a panoramic head.
    Additional flashes.

About the lightest I travel anymore is a single crop body with the above 17-55mm and 70-200mm and a different diopter to fit the 70-200mm for close focus, and an external flash plus a Demb Flip-It. I can fit all of this into a camera holster with an attached lens case.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 28, 2011
    My apologizes! I would like to hike for pleasure but get the best photos I can. I would like fast glass preferably for low light situations also. I thought the long glass was not a joke because I have heard that the waterfalls can be far away to capture which I am interested in. I am thinking to take a Canon 5d II, 14mm 2.8 (wide), a 70-200mm 2.8 II (mid), and maybe the 400mm 4 DO (necessary?). Maybe for wildlife or far waterfalls? Would the 70-200mm 2.8 w/ 2x TC be as good? I read that the 400mm 4 DO was hand holdable. Thanks!
    edited April 28, 2011
    ... I would like to hike for pleasure but get the best photos I can. I would like fast glass preferably for low light situations also. I thought the long glass was not a joke because I have heard that the waterfalls can be far away to capture which I am interested in. I am thinking to take a Canon 5d II, 14mm 2.8 (wide), a 70-200mm 2.8 II (mid), and maybe the 400mm 4 DO (necessary?). ...

That's an impressive equipment consideration. I would also recommend a second body, just in case (even a Rebel class would do), and recommend the EF 14mm f/2.8L USM II, versus the ver I.

I would also be lost without a standard zoom for both appropriate landscapes and social situations. If an EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM is too heavy consider a Sigma alternative or use the EF 24-105, f4L IS USM instead.
    ... Maybe for wildlife or far waterfalls? Would the 70-200mm 2.8 w/ 2x TC be as good? I read that the 400mm 4 DO was hand holdable. ...

The EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM is sharper than a 70-200mm, f2.8L plus teleconverter and it has a larger effective aperture @ 400mm. The 400mm4DO does have a rather busy bokeh, similar to a catadioptric (mirror) lens. My preference in good light would be an EF 300mm, f4L IS USM plus EF 1.4X III teleconverter for a more portable, and more flexible, configuration.

An EF 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6L IS USM might be a very good choice for a hike and replace both the 70-200 and longer lenses.

That's still a lot to carry but, if you have a good backpack, it's doable. Good shoe choice and socks, I recommend thinner "wicking" socks close to the foot and then thicker socks over that, will make a tremendous difference.
    ziggy53
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Man that is a ton of crap to carry. Another consideration is HOW will you carry this along with your camping gear?

For me, I would go for a pocket rocket like an S95 or a G12. Or if you really must go with the SLR, something like the nikon 28-300 would be nice for 1 do it all lens. Low light ability has a lot to do with your camera body too. Wide apertures are not a cure all for low light.

Again this comes back to what kind of shooting will you be doing? Some of my favorite shots from there were with my S90.
    edited April 28, 2011
    How is this: 5dII, 14mm 2.8 II, 24-70mm 2.8, 300mm 4 w/ 1.4xTC III?

If so, any good bags you could recommend for such a set up?
    edited April 29, 2011
    Look at F-stop. Best bags on the planet for adventures.
    http://fstopgear.com/
    edited April 29, 2011
    How is this: 5dII, 14mm 2.8 II, 24-70mm 2.8, 300mm 4 w/ 1.4xTC III?

If so, any good bags you could recommend for such a set up?

I suggest allowing 3 days for the Kalalau 22 mile hike, if you'll be doing serious photography as well. As such you will need a larger backpack anyway (for camping stuff) so just allow a large enough pack for the camera stuff too. The Cotton Carrier is pretty well designed to allow the camera to mount to your chest, or you could use a camera holster system to keep the camera and 1 lens handy.
    ziggy53
    edited April 29, 2011
    The product you need to look at from Fstop is their internal camera unit things. They will go into your regular pack to hold your gear. Ziggy's idea of the chest pouch is a good one too. Will help balance that load! My buddies did that hike to the beach in a day last winter. It is doable. They stayed out there a week. A hippy fed them grilled goat.
    edited April 29, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    A hippy fed them grilled goat.
    Haha, thanks guys!
    edited April 29, 2011
    Which smallest size ICU should I get if I just brought something like a 60d, 14mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8?
    edited April 29, 2011
    Which smallest size ICU should I get if I just brought something like a 60d, 14mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8?
    Do you own any equipment at all? ne_nau.gif
    edited April 29, 2011
    Eh, I had a d300, 24-70mm, Tokina 11-16 but I sold all of that a while back. I'm in college for aero engineering and pretty busy and don't shoot enough to justify all the nice equipment I like to use so I just rent for trips until I'm out. Kinda odd, I know. :cry
    edited April 29, 2011
    Eh, I had a d300, 24-70mm, Tokina 11-16 but I sold all of that a while back. I'm in college for aero engineering and pretty busy and don't shoot enough to justify all the nice equipment I like to use so I just rent for trips until I'm out. Kinda odd, I know. :cry

You're gonna buy gear bags and accessories for rental equipment....since you sold all the gear that would have served you well on this trip? Then, you don't own any equipment at all yet all of your posts since joining this forum are question after question asking us to make every little photography decision for you. I would think someone studying to become an engineer would be able to at least make some of the decisions all on their own or do some simple research.

Yes, kind of odd. headscratch.gif

By the way..... Best color socks for shooting a wedding? ;)
    edited April 29, 2011
    I just don't feel like keeping up with the new tech every so often so I rent for now. I'm just asking for suggestions to make the best of this trip. I have done much research but I figure I'd ask here to for everyone's opinions since there is a lot of experience here. Also, being smart has nothing to do with common sense. :D
    edited April 29, 2011
    I just don't feel like keeping up with the new tech every so often so I rent for now. I'm just asking for suggestions to make the best of this trip. I have done much research but I figure I'd ask here to for everyone's opinions since there is a lot of experience here. Also, being smart has nothing to do with common sense. :D

It's going to cost you a small fortune to rent all the good stuff.... plus BUY gear bags. Had you kept your D300 and a lens, you would have only had to rent a lens or two. I am going to assume that you were forced to sell your camera or you wouldn't have done it.

... and what about the Tokina 11-16 that you said you had less than a month ago? I'm confused since you also said you sold everything "awhile back". That's a good Hawaii lens.

"I cannot wait to go to the Grand Canyon.
    I actually got the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and highly recommend it!"
    edited April 29, 2011
    Ok if you are not buying and keeping, back to the pocket rocket. Seriously. Get an s90 or s95 and the waterproof case. And grab a gorillapod. You will be ready to rock. If the subject is not moving fast you can get some really nice photos with that set up. The thing with Hawaii is it is really really humid. It would suck to get rentals and then end up needing buy them after the trip because something happened to them.
    edited April 29, 2011
    I already had the d300 from way before my Canyon trip which was last summer not a month ago. I sold all that around last christmas after my trip because I wasn't shooting enough to justify having it, not forced really. I recommended the Tokina but did not have it when I recommended it last. Maybe by got I meant "had", like got at one point. I don't have a reason to lie on here, I just wanted to see what other would have brought is all. ne_nau.gif
    edited April 29, 2011
    Renting for specific needs is fine.

If you're camping there is no need for a separate camera bag unless you establish a base camp and hike from that to the photo sites. I like using smaller bags and camera holsters, even bags not designed for cameras. Anything can potentially be put to use.

Some backpacks can be split into a smaller bag. Consider using extra socks to act as padding for individual pieces.
    ziggy53
    edited April 29, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Renting for specific needs is fine.

If you're camping there is no need for a separate camera bag unless you establish a base camp and hike from that to the photo sites. I like using smaller bags and camera holsters, even bags not designed for cameras. Anything can potentially be put to use.

Some backpacks can be split into a smaller bag. Consider using extra socks to act as padding for individual pieces.

Yeah! Definately specific so I feel renting is best. It'll probably will be about $500 for a dslr and two pro level lenses for two weeks but if I bought them it would be around 5K so.... can't really justify that today. I would by a point and shoot but, I already have one and never use it. I will probably just use a daypack to keep the camera and lenses in. I liked the idea of the seperate units to buy and put into the bag. I still have my CF manfrotto tripod from my last trip laying around so I feel kind of dumb having a tripod without a camera. Eventually i'll have enough money for both a trip and pro gear. :cry
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    For landscapes, I rarely use anything but my 24-105. For wildlife, someone in the 300+ range is nice. The 70-200 with extender is a compact option, but may be insufficient in both range and speed (lose a stop) if birds are your primary subject.

If you're going to use two cameras, consider a proper strap like the Black Rapid Double Strap.

Frankly, this sucked:

958272343_8Az9p-XL.jpg
    edited April 29, 2011
    Blackwood wrote: »
    Frankly, this sucked
    Yeah, I'd be tipsy on the trail with all that strapped to me :D

Thanks for the tips, I am worried about the 70-200mm 2.8 with an extender... I know x1.4 would be okay but that x2 is way too much, I think Nikon has a x1.7 maybe a happy medium?

Thanks!
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Yeah, I'd be tipsy on the trail with all that strapped to me :D

Thanks for the tips, I am worried about the 70-200mm 2.8 with an extender... I know x1.4 would be okay but that x2 is way too much, I think Nikon has a x1.7 maybe a happy medium?

Thanks!

I use a 70-200mm with a x1.7 and find it a good combination of reach and quality.

Personally, I wouldn't want to hike with a 70-200mm - too heavy for my wimpish tastes.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011

For hikes at high altitudes the lighter the better.

A canon G10 (15MP) with GND + Pol filter holder and a
    <1 kg carbon tripod can do wonders. No, I am not joking :)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited May 1, 2011
    I already had the d300 from way before my Canyon trip which was last summer not a month ago. I sold all that around last christmas after my trip because I wasn't shooting enough to justify having it, not forced really. I recommended the Tokina but did not have it when I recommended it last. Maybe by got I meant "had", like got at one point. I don't have a reason to lie on here, I just wanted to see what other would have brought is all. ne_nau.gif

I wasn't saying you're lying. I was just confused from what seemed like conflicting statements. I think the best thing to do is what someone else suggested. Get a decent point and shoot with a gorilla pod. It's the lightest, easiest, and by far the cheapest way to do it. It's really the trip you want to document anyway and you don't have to have top level gear for that. Just make sure the camera has a decent zoom range, good image quality, and manual settings. You can have all of the above right in your pocket.... and without spending a lot of money. I wouldn't think twice about it and would go out and buy a point shoot just for the trip.... for probably less money than renting all the gear. Then you'll own a camera again even if it's not a DSLR. Point and shoots are pretty damn good these days and are perfect for what your doing.