Best lenses for Hawaii hikes?

2»

Comments

• BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Yeah, I'd be tipsy on the trail with all that strapped to me :D

Thanks for the tips, I am worried about the 70-200mm 2.8 with an extender... I know x1.4 would be okay but that x2 is way too much, I think Nikon has a x1.7 maybe a happy medium?

Thanks!

Well, consider your subject. In Hawaii, it's going to be small birds (cardinals, doves, maybe jungle fowl, nenes if you're lucky) and small animals (mongoose, etc). So perhaps the extra range is worth while.
  • NormanPCNNormanPCN Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2011
    My apologizes! I would like to hike for pleasure but get the best photos I can.

A couple of years ago I was on vacation on Kauai. I had a 20D with a 18-125 and a SD870 P&S. After the first hike, the 20D stayed in the hotel for the next two hikes. I had a small "zoom" sling case for the 20D, but between that and my backpack I just wanted less junk around my body. In the end, I would say that "best" would be the smallest setup, including P&S, that has RAW and a good lens. The digicam is pretty good for landscape type hike shots and the RAW would let you work around blown out skies. Everything out there these days has so many pixels that cropping is no big deal.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    I am going to have to say if you have to ask the question, you have no idea what you want to shoot. If I had a trip planned to Hawaii, I would know what was needed because I do the same type shots in my own backyard so to speak. I think you can take or rent the top of the line equipment you can afford but it will not look better than someone with an iphone because you will not have experience the gear, nor how to use the gear to its advantage. I think you will be better off with a good point and shoot. Your question is like someone who has never shot sports before asking how to shoot a Super Bowl. Personally, I think it will be a waste to spend money on rental gear. Get a P&S, and with the money saved upgrade your motel and eat at a better restaurant.