Options

>>> dgrin challenge 17, reflections <<<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 28, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
hi guys,

dgrin challenge 17 is upon us. it will run from now until monday, july 26th at noon nyc time. this time, our guest judge will be moti goldman. moti hails from brussels belgium, and is a fine photographer and a good friend. i thought the critiques and comments thread worked quite well last challenge, so we'll continue with it. that's where you can place your images for, well, critique and comment! :rofl remember, in order for this to work, you should be commenting and critiquing for others as much as you expect to get for yourself. you've got to give to get!

the comments and critiques thread is right here

i just love finding reflections, they really do make for some stunning images. the *challenge* is to capture a reflection, either found or created. reflections are everywhere! you just have to have your eyes open and be looking for them, you'll be surprised where you find them. sometimes, they are an "extra" in the image - a sort of "bonus" that may not be the focal point, but nonetheless adds significantly to the image. take a look in your morning coffee cup, or in the mirror as you shave. how about the playground, reflecting in a rainy window as a child looks out? an ornament or gewgaw, or the crystal and silver settings on the table. a puddle in the street, the clouds on the lake. the moonlight on a frozen pond. a child blowing bubbles, a cat's eye, a marble. a glass covered building. maybe a parent or grandparent, looking through a photo album with a child. there are countless possibilities, and endless subjects and ideas to "reflect" upon. this is really an open category, so "shoot your style."

reminder: this is a "no-photoshop" challenge. that means, nothing other than basic exposure adjustments (levels, curves) color correction (hue/satuation) and sharpening is allowed. yes, you may perform a black & white conversion, and yes, toning of same is allowed. minimal cropping is ok, too. the purpose of the "no-photoshop" rule is so that we can really work hard to get it right "at shoot."

this challenge is wide open, so long as your image "reflects" the theme :wink

here are two examples of reflections humbly submitted by your benevolent host:

"cloudspheres"

i found these metal spheres as an art installation in one of the ponds in nyc's central park. they are black becuase i shot it in infrared.

4698470-L.jpg

"musical reflections"

i found this in saks fifth avenue store window, at the holidays in 2003. that's the trump building (nee general motors building) reflected in the window.

4698461-L.jpg

all of the other rules of the dgrin challenges apply, click here to review them

this thread, is the one into which you post your challenge entry, and remember, one entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during the challenge period

***challenge 17 will close to entries on monday, july 26, 2004 at 12 noon nyc time***

enjoy (challenge) photography,

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Bus Window

6094469-L.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Whisper A Rainbow Photography by ginger
    6393421-L.jpg

Marsh Land
    Sullivan's Island
    South Carolina
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Sunrise through the Window
    Sunrise in Vegas is over very fast.

1330LuxSunrise.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Tree Drops
    6502555-L.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    Doggie in the Window
    His name is Jack Photographed in reflection at the Grand Opening of Wells Fargo Bank in West Hollywood.

6291549-L.jpg
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    Best Friends

6286459-M.jpg

Tim
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 19, 2004
    Aight, got some positive feedback, its time to throw down with this one:

Wet Chrome

6203357-M.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    Smoky Horizon
    Until I find something better to shoot. :-P
    6403001-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    Midway geyser basin, Yellowstone, 8:30pm
    6384609-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    Queen Mary II

6399649-L.jpg
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2004
    "Done Fishin' "
    6139279-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    Sightseeing
    6313722-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2004
    Reflecting Mist..
    I should'nt even submit this but I have nothing.....
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    Pinball Wizard
    6516087-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 25, 2004
    A Covered Bridge on a Summer's Eve

6450531-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    rescue951rescue951 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Retired USS Lexington
    Saw this while in Corpus Christi, Tx
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Sean John

6554801-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    challenge ends at 12noon nyc time today
    the voting will be up at some point later today. remember, i'm collaborating with my guest judge on the finalists.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Wells-Next-Sea, Norfolk 4am
    6560680-L.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 26, 2004
    Only 19 entries so far? Last minute rush... ne_nau.gif

nice work so far, even if the numbers don't grow too much, I don't envy Andy's work.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    "After Hours: Men's Bath" WarmSprings, VA taken through a chink in the wall.
    "After Hours: Men's Bath"
    Jefferson Pools
    built 1818
    Warm Springs, VA

6563466-L.jpg

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    >>> entries are closed <<<
    entries are now closed for this challenge.

voting thread posted later today.

thanks!

andy
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    damonff - bus window
    damonff wrote:
    Bus Window

6094469-S.jpg

FROM ANDY:

damon, i do like this one a lot - i felt that it should have some more context to tell me that we're looking at a bus..

FROM MOTI:

The photo is very nice but I have two problems with it. First, as Andy mentioned, I would like to see more context to tell me it's a bus and secondly, I have difficulties to define the main subject from the background.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    cmr - sunrise in vegas
    cmr164 wrote:
    Sunrise in Vegas is over very fast.

1330LuxSunrise.jpg

FROM ANDY:

Charles, you got a great exposure here, on a tricky shot. i applaud you for that! this was a hard one to not pick as a finalist, but i think technically i didn't feel that the lens flare added, it somewhat distracted me. a nit, yes, but if i had to pick a reason, that'd be it.

FROM MOTI:

The idea is wonderful, capturing the sun reflecting from a glass building. The task is very difficult because of the high dynamic range. There are techniques to compensate for that and to get a correct exposure of the highlights and shadows but in this photo, I'd rather see an underexposed picture with a bit silluheted foreground and less exposed sun reflection without the flair.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    sandy - doggy in the window
    Sandy wrote:
    His name is Jack Photographed in reflection at the Grand Opening of Wells Fargo Bank in West Hollywood.

6291549-S.jpg

from andy:

lovely shot, great find! i think you need more of the window for context here. that's what i feel. otherwise, spot on :grin

from Moti:

Sandy, I really love this one. beautiful idea good technique and cute doggie. I just share Andy's oppinion about giving a bit more window and reflection.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    doctorit - wet chrome
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Aight, got some positive feedback, its time to throw down with this one:

Wet Chrome

6203357-S.jpg

from andy:

i like the abstract-y feeling i get from this image - it's very good. it really just got edged by the other finalists. great detail for the drops - impressive!

from moti:

Great reflection shot. Very good exposed and details. I like it very much. The reflection of you taking the shot can be a bit bigger. I think opening your lend wider and approaching the subject could have produced this effect.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    spockling - storefront door
    spockling wrote:
    The Storefront Door

from andy: hey this is a good find - again, i'd like to see more context in the image, letting me know it is a storefront would be good. or, if you're going with this tight crop/compo, then the action or subject in the reflection should be really strong & compelling. nice exposure & color. keep up the good work.

from Moti:

It's a wonderful shot with lots of context and colors and everytime you look at it you doscover somethiung new. It is just a bit over-cropped. Seeing more of the door and having the round opening off center could have made it more interesting.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnesite - horse eye reflection
    lynnesite wrote:
    Until I find something better to shoot. :-P
    6403001-S-1.jpg

from andy:

good "eye" to find this one, lynne :D i'd like to see the reflection in "tack" sharp focus, and the animal a bit oof, if that is necessary due to exposure limitiations. i'd really like to see both in focus, requiring probably a much smaller aperture - and probably a way high iso, but so be it.

from Moti:

An interesting and original idea for the topic. I join Andy's comment about the focus issue but also, I'd like to see it differently composed. Either closer so you just see the eye with a detailed reflection or else, a wider shot so you see a bit more of the horse.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    rutt - midway geyser basin
    rutt wrote:
    6384609-S.jpg

from andy:

a vast wide angle shot - i dig that. lovely coloring, and the subtle reflections keep me interested. i was a bit put off by the silhouetted mountains on the horizon - wishing there was some kind of shadow detail there to give some definintion. i'm sure that'd be really difficult. i dig the details in the foreground, really nice work, rutt.

from Moti:

This is a very beautiful wide angle shot. I love the way the path leads my eye into the picture with a natural contunuation of cloud patern. The textures and the colors here are really lovely.