Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    gubbs - sightseeing
    gubbs wrote:
    6313722-S.jpg

from andy:

spot-on exposure, focus. i think the compo or crop is a bit too tight, i'd like to see some more...mainly for context.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma - foggy lake reflection
    lynnma wrote:
    I should'nt even submit this but I have nothing.....

this could be a postcard - quite lovey, i really like the fog and the general compo - the rocks foreground left echoing the shape of the island in the mist. the trees don't add for me, they don't really frame this shot... i'd have moved 20' left if possible. a nice scenic, lynn thumb.gif

from Moti:

This is a very beautiful scene. I love the atmosphere of tranquility, the colors and the the way the mist merges the water into the sky.
    The trees at the right are too dominant and in a way, spoil the magic. Cropping a bit more from the right might improve it.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    rescue - uss lexington
    rescue951 wrote:
    Saw this while in Corpus Christi, Tx

from andy: welcome to the challenges! keep trying - this one, just needs some more context i think, and the ship isn't as obvious as it should be i think. a good entry though!

from Moti:

The exposure and colors are very nice but I'm not sure what I am looking at. I think that the boat, being the dominant subject, should fill up a much greater part of the photo.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    stan - wells-next-sea at 4am
    Stan wrote:
    6560680-S.jpg

from andy:

a cool night (morning) shot :grin ... lovely curve to the whole pic. nothing to suggest here, it's a fine shot. just edged out by the others, that's all. congrats on a fine pic.

from Moti:

Night shots are one of my favorite subjects and this one very nice. The reflections are beautiful but I'd like to see more emphasis on the boats.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    peeping ginette: after hours...men's bath
    AltPro wrote:
    "After Hours: Men's Bath"
    Jefferson Pools
    built 1818
    Warm Springs, VA

6563466-S.jpg

ginette

from andy:

lovely colors here and you should be commended on finding this reflection. i get "big empty space" though after i'm done with the colorful parts of the shot, i think there needs to be something or someone else in this shot. a fat old nekkid guy, a loofah on the floor, that's the ticket...
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Thanks andy thumb.gif
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Thanks for all your efforts Andy!! Muchly appreciated.thumb.gif
  • Options
    motimoti Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    from andy: hey this is a good find - again, i'd like to see more context in the image, letting me know it is a storefront would be good. or, if you're going with this tight crop/compo, then the action or subject in the reflection should be really strong & compelling. nice exposure & color. keep up the good work.
    Spockling, It's a wonderful shot with lots of context and colors and everytime you look at it you doscover somethiung new. It is just a bit over-cropped. Seeing more of the door and having the round opening off center could have made it more interesting.
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    Moti, Thanks for the feedback. The original picture was just slightly larger than that one and didn't show any more of the door. I was concentrating on the reflection and lost sight of the "bigger" picture.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 28, 2004
    moti wrote:
    Doctorit, beautiful reflection. Very good exposed and detailed. I like it very much. The reflection of you taking the shot can be a bit bigger. I think opening your lend wider and approaching the subject could have produced this effect.
    Great comments - thanks Moti (and Andy too). More incentive to work harder next week!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    Wish there had been a "somebody" in the baths...
    andy wrote:
    from andy:

lovely colors here and you should be commended on finding this reflection. i get "big empty space" though after i'm done with the colorful parts of the shot, i think there needs to be something or someone else in this shot. a fat old nekkid guy, a loofah on the floor, that's the ticket...

You're right I suppose... a person basking in the bath... (really not much of a walking surface around the pool...) would have offered the extra bit of interest... But since they were closed, and we'd of had to have broken in, which might have put us at odds with the local Deputy... (Might have gotten interesting shots from the local jail tho')...

In anycase, there was something to the stillness of the scene that called me... I was almost put off by the colored noodles, wishing for a more monochromatic image... I did take many other shots while at the pools, although not nearly as many as I would have liked. Would have been wonderful to have gotten inside... Here is a link to a few of the others, should you want to take a peek.

Thank-you for all the effort you put into this challenge...
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    I want to thank you and Andy for your comments on the photo. I feel that in this case showing more of the window and the objects reflected would not have been an improvement to this photo. But for the future I am now aware not to crop too much, and that the background can add more interest.
    moti wrote:
    Sandy, I really love this one. beautiful idea good technique. I just share Andy's oppinion about giving a bit more window and reflection.