Options

Rant - it's not "copyrite"

Comments

• Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    There are some made up words that I like, such as automagically instead of automatically if it is something impressive and unique. And cool is spelled cool, not kewl. It is not funny. Now Klass is different than Class, one is sarcastic; much like crab meat with a "k".

I might have ranted about it on my personal web site (or blog when too lazy to write all that out) http://www.bradfordbenn.com/2011/01/watching-a-language-change/

My favorite in that area is those who spell dude as "dood." Um, nope - dood is short for "doody" (or is it supposed to be spelled "doodie"?), which is a polite term for an unpleasant substance. I do not wish to be addressed by the name of said unpleasant substance.

I agree with you on some of the newly-minted slang terms, however. Photochopped is a good one for D-grin. And I fairly often use humorous variations on "Holy cow!", such as:

Holy Cowsills!
    Holy Hannah, and her sisters!
    Holey buckets!
    Holy cowpies!
    Holy cowabunga!
    Holy Shih Tsu!
    Holey underwear!
    Holy Hera!
    Holy Poly Olie!
    Holy Holy Oxen free!
    Holey bartender!

I'm always looking for new ones, too.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    I could care less what y'all have to say.

What really gets to me is dampener and dampening. No such words. The object is a damper, which dampens, or causes damping. Your shocks and struts, in a sense, are dampers, which dampen road vibrations. The damping force is a function of relative velocity. My guess is someone created a noun (dampener) from the verb (dampen), and then created a verb (dampener) from the created noun. Then, someone posted it in some official literature and the rest is incorrect history.

The other thing is an ellipse. It's three periods, no more, no less. It's to create a slightly longer pause than a comma or a semicolon... like that.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    Rant: You're=you are; Your=of you; Ur=primitive rolleyes1.gif
    I love this thread toobiggrinbounce2.gif
    clap.gifwings.gifivarrolleyes1.gifeatlol3.gifblbl.gifhaha:lurk:ian
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2011
    The expression "American English" is the ultimate oxymoron!

Um, how? It's different from, uh, English English. As for RAW, that's what the cameras call it, so why shouldn't we call it that? In the camera menu we see RAW and JPEG. Based on this reasoning, we shouldn't call a camera a 7D because "7D" doesn't stand for anything!
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    The other thing is an ellipse. It's three periods, no more, no less. It's to create a slightly longer pause than a comma or a semicolon... like that.[/QUOTE]That would be an ellipsis...

Not:
    a plane curve such that the sums of the distances of each point in its periphery from two fixed points, the foci, are equal. It is a conic section formed by the intersection of a right circular cone by a plane that cuts the axis and the surface of the cone. Typical equation: ( x 2 / a 2 ) + ( y 2 / b 2 ) = 1. If a = b the ellipse is a circle.

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    That would be an ellipsis...

Not:

Don

mwink.gif
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    Oh god, I hate it when people say can I axe you a question? The only possible response is "no, that sounds painful". Or when they say will you learn me how to do that, or I learnt him how to do that.

Seriously, what did these people do in school? How related are their parents? I remember cringing once when speaking with some acquaintances and the grandfather was lecturing us that his grandson didn't need to learn to read, he hadn't so why should the kid. Stoning is too good for some people.

Popular where I went to Jr. High School......Can you wretch that for me.....also wretched..........oh lord my ellipsis are growing.............Oh yeah after 3 ... they are no longer ellipsis, just a row if periods I use as I am trying to decided if i want to add another thought.......or to bug the grammar freaks.....................

another one that gets my goat..........Put that in the ice box lower shelf near the tomatoes........we have not had iceboxes in our kitchens for many years...most of them are used as pretty little cabinets...it is a refrigerator...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    A friend of mine visited a madrassa in pakistan where they did not teach writing - "why teach writing when everything is written"? Fortunately we still write, more and more, even if it is only with 2 thums on IOS5.

I suspect in 50 years time the English language will have changed out of all recognition - just like most of us can no longer read the original Chaucer although it was "only" 500 years ago, or Shakespeare 150 years later.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    Actually, ellipsis points are used for trailing a sentence off. A semicolon is the correct grammar for a longer pause than a comma. But this is getting to the point of grammar, not spelling errors. I think we normally use incorrect grammar all the time here. For example, I use comma splices all the time. Doesn't everyone? OK, Ziggy doesn't. However, even though I'm what most consider a "grammarhead," I use comma splices all the time here, but I never do in semi-formal writing.

(That last sentence was not a comma splice. It was a compound-complex sentence with one dependent clause and two independent clauses.)

Art, I think people call it that because that's what Emeril calls it ;~)
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    (That last sentence was not a comma splice. It was a compound-complex sentence with one dependent clause and two independent clauses.)

Whoa... Junior High English flashback...
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned "aperature" and my personal peeve "lense." There's also "Cannon," but that doesn't bug me so much because every time I see it I laugh and remark how well they shoot ;)
  • Options
    PRW_PhotoPRW_Photo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    There was a great add on craigslist yesterday. Somebody advertising...
    Is that how the Queen's English abbreviates it? In the US we say "ad"...rolleyes1.gif

Paul Wossidlo
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    I never 'take it for granite' that I can spell good. :D That's why I use spell checkers. And hopefully I can tell the homonyms apart!

Don

My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    Yes, thanks for reminding me, Don. Spell 'well' not 'good'.:D
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Yes, thanks for reminding me, Don. Spell 'well' not 'good'.:D
    But I do know how to spell the word good! That is one word I do take the spelling of for granted... thumb.gif

:D

Don

• Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    I never 'take it for granite' that I can spell good. :D That's why I use spell checkers. And hopefully I can tell the homonyms apart!

Don

Do you take french fries for granite? You shouldn't. Granite's worth more than french fries deal.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    If everybody spoke and spelled correctly, I'd quickly be out of a job (and my red pens would dry out from retirement). mwink.gif

Oh, and neologisms—I love them as long as marketers keep their paws off them. And I hate them in business-speak. If one more person tries to operationalize something or make it actionable, I will make their pages bleed. :pissed

...spell check now recognizes "actionable" as a word? I'm losing the good fight.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    If everybody spoke and spelled correctly, I'd quickly be out of a job (and my red pens would dry out from retirement). mwink.gif

Oh, and neologisms—I love them as long as marketers keep their paws off them. And I hate them in business-speak. If one more person tries to operationalize something or make it actionable, I will make their pages bleed. :pissed

...spell check now recognizes "actionable" as a word? I'm losing the good fight.

Personally, I like sentences that begin with 'and'.:D
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011

Beginning sentences with a coordinating conjunction no longer violates grammar law. :giggle
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    I'm a big fan of starting sentences with and. And but. :D
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    I believe I used copywright or something like that for a while there, for maybe over a year. it was a typo in the action and I didnt catch on and no one pointed it out. One day I was looking it over and was like "D'OH". :)
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2011
    Another pet peeve of mine are thread titles that say a a 'few' images and show two. Or indicate a 'couple' of images and have one or several, not just two. Or the title will indicate 'images/photos' and there is only one! grrr

Don

• Options
    edited June 14, 2011

And in some situations - so do I!
    Another per peeve if mine are thread titles that say a a 'few' images and show two. Or indicate a 'couple' of images and have one or several, not just two.

Don

I don't mind when people use "couple" when they mean "a small but indeterminate number;" in Maryland, that has become the default meaning of the word when used in that context. But what cheeses me off is when people say they have "a couple images." WHERE'S THE "OF"?! It's "couple OF"! Show me some "of", people!

Then there are fools who believe that "a few" means exactly three. No... A few actually does mean "a small but indeterminate amount," not three.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 14, 2011
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    And I hate them in business-speak. If one more person tries to operationalize something or make it actionable, I will make their pages bleed. :pissed

An oldie but goodie from the years when all my time was spent in meetings: http://professionalsuperhero.com/

It was hilarious ten years ago. Sadly, it probably doesn't sound strange anymore.
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    one that drives me nutty is when people don't know how to use less v. fewer as in some TV station's catch line - more movies, less commercials! Illiterate morons!
  • Options
    George07748George07748 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

It is also lens FLARE (a blaze of light, or something which makes a certain flash/blaze of light) vs FLAIR (a particular sense of stylishness and originality)

So what do I call it if my lens FLARE adds a bit of FLAIR to the pitcher?

Just wondering...
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    So what do I call it if my lens FLARE adds a bit of FLAIR to the pitcher?

Just wondering...

That would be FLAIRE. :D
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    One of my biggest pet peeves is "these ones". I think everyone under 30, uses this crap.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 24, 2011
    One of my biggest pet peeves is "these ones". I think everyone under 30, uses this crap.

oh Lord, yes. I forgot that. One of the worst.

But of course there's also the oft repeated answer to "Thank you" - "No problem" Ohhhh how I hate that!!!!

Whenever someone responds "no problem" to my "thank you" I reply back with; "Oh good, I wouldn't want to be a problem"

That usually garners a look of bewilderment. The rare few realize the implication of my comment and apologize and offer up a hasty "You're welcome"

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 25, 2011
    please let's not go off topic with political commentary