Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #80 (Break the rules) CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I'm having the same problem. I feel like I've taken lots of photos that break the rules but trying to come up with one for the challenge is tough. I also find it much more difficult to critique for this challenge for some reason.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. I feel like I've taken lots of photos that break the rules but trying to come up with one for the challenge is tough. I also find it much more difficult to critique for this challenge for some reason.

I'm in the same boat - I think everybody is :D
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2011
    I'm in the same boat - I think everybody is :D

PS: but I also find that it's very funny to just play with this idea of trying unconventional ways of taking photos :)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    I am excited to see so much action and thought going into this round. Thank you for letting me know the challenges are challenging you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    There's a lot of cool discussion about photography rules and how to break them to a positive effect. The Challenge topic doesn't limit rule-breaking just to photographic rules, but includes "an image where you or your subject breaks a well known rule"

So this could be a productive path for anyone struggling to artistically break a photographic "rule" for this Challenge. Illustrating things like "Keep off the grass", "No dogs allowed", "Women first", one of the 10 Commandments could be a lot of fun.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited July 6, 2011
    Glad you raised this. I've been surprised at how few entries are taking this route so far....
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Halite wrote: »
    There's a lot of cool discussion about photography rules and how to break them to a positive effect. The Challenge topic doesn't limit rule-breaking just to photographic rules, but includes "an image where you or your subject breaks a well known rule"

So this could be a productive path for anyone struggling to artistically break a photographic "rule" for this Challenge. Illustrating things like "Keep off the grass", "No dogs allowed", "Women first", one of the 10 Commandments could be a lot of fun.

Funny that I didn't think of it that way. Completely focused on the 'rules' of photography. :D
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    Since everyone was breaking the rules of photography, I went with breaking the rules of gravity/physics. :)
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    Yea I've opted to just go out and commit a few misdemeanors.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    I started out wanting to break a rule other than photography - the first thing that came to mind was 'running with scissors". I was going to go with that until I noticed that everyone was breaking photo rules, then switched gears.

Some of the entries are fantastic, but I can't figure out what the broken rule was. If I can't figure that out, how can I vote based on theme? THAT will be my real challenge.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I started out wanting to break a rule other than photography - the first thing that came to mind was 'running with scissors". I was going to go with that until I noticed that everyone was breaking photo rules, then switched gears.

Some of the entries are fantastic, but I can't figure out what the broken rule was. If I can't figure that out, how can I vote based on theme? THAT will be my real challenge.

Each person voting will have to decide what it is that they like about each image. Theme should be part of it of course but sometimes an image somehow surpasses that and stands above all else. I like your idea of running with scissors, I was actually hoping to see more examples of things like that.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Sean, the pic I uploaded into the gallery for this challenge I can only see if i log-in to that page with the Challenges login. If I am logged in as myself to comment on others, mine isn't there. It should be no. 31/38. Can you see it? Did I do something wrong?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Sean, the pic I uploaded into the gallery for this challenge I can only see if i log-in to that page with the Challenges login. If I am logged in as myself to comment on others, mine isn't there. It should be no. 31/38. Can you see it? Did I do something wrong?

I don't see it logged in as me, but I have seen this occur before, and pretty sure he can fix it on his end. I don't remember if it was figured out why this happens on occassion
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    Greg (ghinson), It should be fixed now, including the double hyphen in the caption mwink.gif. Can you let me know if it shows up for you.

I am not sure what causes it either but it is a small bug we have run into before. Somehow the "hide photo" box gets checked even though the box itself is told not to display in the CSS. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Thanks as always.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Some additional lists that may be helpful:

Breaking the Rules of Photography

Breaking Digital Photography Composition Rules

10 Photography Rules and Ways to Break Them These are from Freeman Patterson's “Photography and the Art of Seeing” (1979).

What I got from looking over these lists is:

a) It is easier to break the rules effectively if you know them (and why they are effective guidelines).
    b) There are times when a photograph is stronger because one ignores one or more of these rules.
    c) It will be relatively easy to break one or more rules purposefully, but perhaps harder to break them to good advantage.
    d) There is something freeing about deliberately breaking a rule and seeing what you get.

That's it for my ramblings today. Took some Kenyan guests to DC yesterday and shot some photos at high noon and purposefully broke some other rules (rule of thirds, keep horizons straight, etc.) but have yet to see how they worked out. It was refreshing though to see the monuments through their eyes and also be trying to break certain rules!

Gretchen
    Nice you put up these additional rule breaking considerations and other thoughts. Most helpful to go over things. Thanks :D
    Michael
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    I started out wanting to break a rule other than photography - the first thing that came to mind was 'running with scissors".

Now that's a very funny idea rolleyes1.gif

I think you may still have time do do it thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    I don't have anyone here to run and I lost my camera remote! I'm mad at myself for not going with my original idea. Usually I do and get so fixated on that one idea that I can't think of anything else.

I am still having a problem with how to vote. Just liking an image and not taking theme into consideration seems like cheating. Why have the theme? I'm sure I'll figure it out, but this will be my most challenging vote yet. I don't normally struggle with that.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    a) It is easier to break the rules effectively if you know them

Best Dalai Lama quote ever :)
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    Why have the theme?

To stimulate creativity and exploration. I always take into consideration how well an image fits into the theme. The easiest way for me to do this is look at it without reading the title, if it makes sense and communicates the theme without a title then the image was extremely successful in implementation. If I have to read the title and the title is used as a crutch to make the image fit into the theme then it certainly will lose points and be lower on the scale.

What I meant before is that sometimes an image will be so enticing and magic that it surpasses any specific theme. It begins to speak to me on a different level. It is images like this that every so often come into fruition inspired by the current theme. Each person always sees things differently and theme connectivity is strong for some while others it will not make sense at all. That is the exciting thing about artistic vision.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    Okay, I need to think about that.

Don't misunderstand, I love the themes you come up with and they always make me think, but I always took the theme into 50% consideration when voting. The other 50% is the image itself and what it says to me.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Hi Sean,

Karin (ic4u) is in the middle of a power outage and cannot upload tonight. I uploaded for her, but lost the EXIF on the attempt. Can we keep it as a place holder and let her upload the real one tomorrow?

Karen (WhatSheSaw)
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Hi Sean,

Karin (ic4u) is in the middle of a power outage and cannot upload tonight. I uploaded for her, but lost the EXIF on the attempt. Can we keep it as a place holder and let her upload the real one tomorrow?

Karen (WhatSheSaw)

It looks like what was uploaded is a BMP - what was given to you to upload?
    If I have a link to the original with EXIF that will work too.
    I will let it go into the voting but will unfortunately have to disqualify if a link is not supplied tomorrow.

EDIT - The link you sent me via PM is all you really needed to link to. All is good!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    It looks like what was uploaded is a BMP - what was given to you to upload?
    If I have a link to the original with EXIF that will work too.
    I will let it go into the voting but will unfortunately have to disqualify if a link is not supplied tomorrow.

EDIT - The link you sent me via PM is all you really needed to link to. All is good!

Excellent! Can I add the link in the caption now so everyone else can see it in its full glory?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    One more question. Is there a way to upload directly from a SmugMug gallery? I couldn't figure out how to do it readily, so I saved it as a BMP to upload it.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    Excellent! Can I add the link in the caption now so everyone else can see it in its full glory?

Yes go ahead and add the link
    If you right click the original and choose save as you could have saved it as a JPG which would have kept the EXIF info.

No there is no way to upload from another gallery, sorry.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Yes go ahead and add the link
    If you right click the original and choose save as you could have saved it as a JPG which would have kept the EXIF info.

No there is no way to upload from another gallery, sorry.

JPG was not an option. BMP was the only option. Could it be due to the way the gallery is set up?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    JPG was not an option. BMP was the only option. Could it be due to the way the gallery is set up?

I was able to save it as a JPG myself so I am not sure. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Hi Sean,

Karen (WhatSheSaw)

Karen, thank you so much for going out of your way to help me!
    And thanks Sean for allowing my entry this way. It is 8:15am and we still have no power
    and there currently is no estimated time it will be back on.
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    Karen, thank you so much for going out of your way to help me!
    And thanks Sean for allowing my entry this way. It is 8:15am and we still have no power
    and there currently is no estimated time it will be back on.

Hi Karin,

Don't worry, the correct EXIF is there. I was able to download the photo as jpg, I added it to my gallery, copied the EXIF and inserted it under the old exif :)
    Travelways.com