Options

Huge Problem!!!

Comments

• Options
    gooseattackgooseattack Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Temporary Service Interruption
    Is it just me...or is everyone experiencing this on their homepage? It says:

We're having some temporary technical difficulties. We're working on them at the moment, and expect service to return shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We're not happy about it, of course, but we are prepared for it and expect there to be no data loss or any long-term reduction in service.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

(c) 2005 Smugmug, inc.
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 11, 2005
    Is it just me...or is everyone experiencing this on their homepage? It says:

We're having some temporary technical difficulties. We're working on them at the moment, and expect service to return shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We're not happy about it, of course, but we are prepared for it and expect there to be no data loss or any long-term reduction in service.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

(c) 2005 Smugmug, inc.
    It's pretty much everyone :) I'm sure they're working hard on the problem.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Hey guys, we are aware of the problem and are working on it right now. No ETA, but we are going as fast as we can :)
  • Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    It's everyone! The site seems to be up and down. I believe the problems started last night, but it is really having problems now (for the past few hours).

Hopefully it'll be back up "completely" soon.
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    All but keywords now seem to be working...
    My site seems to be working now... allthough slowww.
    Keywords don't work correctly yet though :(
    and I've got 'favorite athletes' set up with keywords so parents can find them easier.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    It is (ha ha) terrible, and please do not jinx it by saying it is now working. I got some stuff downloaded, then it all went down again.

That annoyed me til I realized that if I managed to bring the photos over here, no one, including me, could see them.

ginger

(I was clueless, but wondering why it was so slow, til everything disappeared with "sorry" notes left by elves.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    lexunuslexunus Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2005
    Continuing problems with smugmug
    Hey, folks!

It's not the first time Smugmug falls down in the past month. What's going on there with you guys?? I host an important portfolio that's on review now and the service is in DoS mode again.

When will smugmug team make a stable version or should I move to other service if I need stability?

• Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Yep, it's been an ongoing problem all day...
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Getting annoying...ain't it! :cry
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 11, 2005
    Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone has described the problem we're having so pardon the repeat if they have.

We bought new database servers as a routine part of bulking up for more traffic. They have more processors and memory. We installed one two weeks ago and used it as a slave to make sure there were no issues. Its response and stability were perfect, not surprising because this was a hardware change, no changes to software.

Last night at 1 in the morning we switched it to master, which was the plan all along. As traffic built this a.m., it became clear that for some reason it's slowing under load. Why it's doing that and why it didn't under load during testing is unclear. It's what we and our software & hardware suppliers are working on at the moment.

We could switch back to the old master but it's a project and very hard to do during peak hours.

I wish we had an answer for how long this will take to track down, but we don't. Hopefully minutes or a short number of hours, but honestly we can't say.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Your the first to describe it...
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I don't know if anyone has described the problem we're having so pardon the repeat if they have.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Nope, your the first person to describe it & I for one greatly appriciate it so thank you for the update.

On a side note though... had I known in advance that there would be major changes taking place last night (even though they were hopfull they'd be problem free) I wouldn't have sent links to the High School Superintendant to review my site today and see her daughters pics I took this past softball season. I'm just now getting started in the school and their support has been & is slow to earn... I just got a responce from her... not great :( but not terrible... I was really hoping the site and pics would impress her today... but of course she's getting all kinds of weird displays :uhoh

Thanks for the update though... I truly do appriciate it.
    Cindy
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Is it still going on? Crum! I am reduced to watching a british movie and thinking in lyrics.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi everyone,

We bought new database servers as a routine part of bulking up for more traffic. They have more processors and memory. We installed one two weeks ago and used it as a slave to make sure there were no issues. Its response and stability were perfect, not surprising because this was a hardware change, no changes to software.

Last night at 1 in the morning we switched it to master, which was the plan all along. As traffic built this a.m., it became clear that for some reason it's slowing under load. Why it's doing that and why it didn't under load during testing is unclear. It's what we and our software & hardware suppliers are working on at the moment.

We could switch back to the old master but it's a project and very hard to do during peak hours.

I wish we had an answer for how long this will take to track down, but we don't. Hopefully minutes or a short number of hours, but honestly we can't say.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris...thanks for the info. I too, had an untimely event occur during this outtage, but that's explanable now. I just noticed that it took 12 hours before we got official word. maybe the team could work at keeping us better informed.

Take all the time you need to make it go fast and well.

Doug
  • Options
    ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Honestly I prefer to have the MAINTINANCE WINDOW than showing my site in a bad manner and all crumpled.

Thanks for the explanation Baldy, good luck with the changes. Please give us some more news soon.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    ppuga wrote:
    Honestly I prefer to have the MAINTINANCE WINDOW than showing my site in a bad manner and all crumpled.

Thanks for the explanation Baldy, good luck with the changes. Please give us some more news soon.

update and closure from onethumb
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    andy wrote:

Andy, thanks, but my site still wrong... :cry

check this:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=178129&postcount=12
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    ppuga wrote:
    Andy, thanks, but my site still wrong... :cry

check this:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=178129&postcount=12
    Your site looks fine to me...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Your site looks fine to me...

Thanks Mike, I think it was matter of time. A few minutes later my site was ok again.

thumb.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    aclickatatimeaclickatatime Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    Is it still down for everybody or is it just me?
    My site was up for awhile last night but this morning it's down again. Are yours down too? I hope it is not just me ne_nau.gif

- yvonne
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    My site was up for awhile last night but this morning it's down again. Are yours down too? I hope it is not just me ne_nau.gif

- yvonne

things working fine for me, nyc-based and can get to all smugmug sites that i try..

try restarting your browser maybe?
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    things working fine for me, nyc-based and can get to all smugmug sites that i try..

try restarting your browser maybe?
    Andy, I've cleared all cache and cookies and rebooted my pc. I've just used my coworkers' PCs too but still cannot access my page (yvonnelai.smugmug.com). Can you access mine?
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 12, 2005
    Andy, I've cleared all cache and cookies and rebooted my pc. I've just used my coworkers' PCs too but still cannot access my page (yvonnelai.smugmug.com). Can you access mine?
    I am able to access your site just fine :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    I am able to access your site just fine :)
    :confused Thanks for verifying for me. Ok, I've just cleared all cache, history files, cookies and rebooted my PC (again!) and I still cannot see my site. Any other suggestion?
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    :confused Thanks for verifying for me. Ok, I've just cleared all cache, history files, cookies and rebooted my PC (again!) and I still cannot see my site. Any other suggestion?

i can access your site no problem, too. maybe some sites are being blocked by a firewall where you are?
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i can access your site no problem, too. maybe some sites are being blocked by a firewall where you are?
    Can't be blocked because I used to be able to access my site at work up until yesterday when the smugmug server went down. Sigh!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    Can't be blocked because I used to be able to access my site at work up until yesterday when the smugmug server went down. Sigh!

many work locations block some sites.

anyhow, we can see your site just fine (btw - looking good :D)
  • Options
    RichSRichS Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    What does mine look like - richs.smugmug.com? I'm still getting the crippled version I saw early yesterday, after clearing caches, rebooting, multiple browsers, etc.

I'm going on a CSS hunt now to see if there's a culprit around.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    RichS wrote:
    What does mine look like - richs.smugmug.com? I'm still getting the crippled version I saw early yesterday, after clearing caches, rebooting, multiple browsers, etc.

looks normal to me, apple mac, tiger, safari and firefox.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    RichS wrote:

Rich, I can see yours just fine. Looking good too.
    Andy, I have no idea what else to do. May be I'll just let it sit for another day and hope *cross fingers* it'll be fine again tomorrow. Thanks for everything!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    Rich, I can see yours just fine. Looking good too.
    Andy, I have no idea what else to do. May be I'll just let it sit for another day and hope *cross fingers* it'll be fine again tomorrow. Thanks for everything!

can you get to another pc in another office, or somewhere else? it sure sounds like a "local" problem - let us know, will you? ear.gif