Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - who has it in stock!?

CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
edited January 27, 2006 in Cameras
Update 11/17 - I just got a call from Ryan at Tallyn's that they just received a new shipment of this lens. Not sure how many aren't already "spoken" for, but if you're in the market you may want to call them at (800) 433 8685 (www.tallyns.com) - Jack

Ok, so I've finally splunked down a boatload on the 1D Mark II N, and now I
can't find "THE" lens for it anywhere! ne_nau.gif

I've checked B&H, Adorama, J&R, Tallyns, Sammys, and just about every link Pricegrabber, MySimon and Lowpriceshopper would come up with.

If anyone has seen this in stock, please let me know!

Thanks!
Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Ok, so I've finally splunked down a boatload on the 1D Mark II N, and now I can't find "THE" lens for it anywhere! ne_nau.gif

I've checked B&H, Adorama, J&R, Tallyns, Sammys, and just about every link Pricegrabber, MySimon and Lowpriceshopper would come up with.

Thanks!

i thought you got hooked up with j&r headscratch.gif
  • CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i thought you got hooked up with j&r headscratch.gif
    Hey Andy, yeah, I thought so too! When I spoke with them yesterday, they *confirmed* their stock so I placed my order, but this morning I got a call and... well things had evidently changed and they ran out of inventory before they completed my order. I kept the order for the 1D MkII N and should have it on Thursday. B&H shipped the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS today 2nd Day UPS too. However, the quest for the 24-105 has been arduous and a bit frustrating, but whatchagonnado?
    Jack

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Ok, so I've finally splunked down a boatload on the 1D Mark II N, and now I can't find "THE" lens for it anywhere! ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
    digitalfotoclub lists it in stock, did you call them?
    edited October 11, 2005
    tom e wrote:
    digitalfotoclub lists it in stock, did you call them?
    Yep, hit them too! Thanks! :cry
    Jack

edited October 13, 2005
    Am I the *only* person looking for this lens!? eek7.gif

On a side note (of sorts), how many of you put a UV or Skylight filter on versus going "bareback"?
    Jack

• ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005

On a side note (of sorts), how many of you put a UV or Skylight filter on versus going "bareback"?
    I go bareback... probably out of stupidity more than anything. I haven't bought a 67mm filter for it yet.

I have 58mm UV and 58mm CPOL for my other lenses though, as well as 52mm UV
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    I don't go "bareback" with any of my glass -- too much of an investment to let chance have a crack at killing it! You never know what could fly through the air and land smack on your lens -- like a beer cap... :hide
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005

Sounds like it's the opposite! If it is out of stock, everyone else must want one too.

As for the filter...it goes on the front, wouldn't leaving it off be called "full frontal?" mwink.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 13, 2005
    ...how many of you put a UV or Skylight filter on versus going "bareback"?
    I keep a protective filter on all of my best glass, realizing that it is removable as the situation requires. mwink.gif

I have had too many "close calls" and one "near disaster" and the filter also prevents excessive cleaning of the front elements.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 13, 2005
    Jack,

Amazon says the lens is not available until Nov 1. It appears that the availability date has been pushed back. That may explain why dealers thought they would have it by now.

The 24-70 f2.8L is available and, if you have to have something this minute, might suffice during the interim.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited October 13, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Jack,

Amazon says the lens is not available until Nov 1. It appears that the availability date has been pushed back. That may explain why dealers thought they would have it by now.

The 24-70 f2.8L is available and, if you have to have something this minute, might suffice during the interim.

ziggy53

all the majors had it for a while - and i got mine 2 weeks ago... supply's probably just short now
    edited October 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ...i got mine 2 weeks ago...
    Andy,

BTW, are you still liking it?

Is the IS the "real deal", i.e. does it work well on this lens?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited October 13, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Andy,

BTW, are you still liking it?

Is the IS the "real deal", i.e. does it work well on this lens?

Thanks,

ziggy53

yes and yes.

1/6th second, iso 800, no post processing at all ... so you can see direct from raw. click pic for exif.

39854527-L.jpg

100% crop
    39854542-L.jpg
    edited October 13, 2005
    Wow,

I love how the window was handled by that camera and lens. It looks like exposure was critical, but you nailed it!

Nice.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited October 13, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Wow,

I love how the window was handled by that camera and lens. It looks like exposure was critical, but you nailed it!

Nice.

Thanks,

ziggy53

thanks zig. for critical work, i.s. gets me 3 stops easily. but in a pinch, i can get 4 or 5 stops, heck, even more deal.gif.
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005

I always "wear protection" on all my expensive glass :):. I had pre-ordered it early from Allen's in PA and my buddy is now #60 on their waiting list. The glass is superb and very easy to handle. I guess Canon miscalculated their sales numbers (or underestimated their marketing machine).
    edited October 13, 2005
    bareback

i only use a filter for when i need it. i do use the lens hood[/url] it provides a good amount of protection against bumps, scuffs, etc.

when do i need a filter? when i'm shooting with a c-pl, or need an nd - or i'll put on a uv or sky 1a when i'm at the beach or elsewhere where it's particularly blowy/dusty.
    edited October 14, 2005
    Thanks for all of the comments everyone! It's always interesting to hear how others feel or why we do things the way we do.

Andy, I do like your point about the lens hood providing some protection and hadn't really considered that.

Herion, I think you're right about Canon having underestimated the demand. I *did* hear from one seller though, that Canon had recalled a batch of these which has exasurbated(sp?) the problem. This is probably only a rumor, but has anyone else heard anything about that? I'm going to check with J&R (who I bought the 1D Mk II N from and was very pleased with their service and delivery - thanks Andy!) and see if they have an estimate.

Colourbox, you do have a point about the "full frontal"! :D

TGIF!
    Jack

edited October 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yes and yes.

1/6th second, iso 800, no post processing at all ... so you can see direct from raw. click pic for exif.

WOW! 1/6th! That's awesome!

Always, nice to see familiar pics from NY. I had a great time the three years I was there... holler if you reconsider doing an NYC shootout!
    Jack

• tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2005

i use a filter. i'm always scraping the lens cap or getting my grimy fingers on the front piece of glass; i'd much prefer that it be a filter and not the front element
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    ... I can't find "THE" lens for it anywhere!

I've had the 24-105 "L" on order from Amazon since August. Amazon has consistently given a Release Date of Oct 15 and an expected delivery date of around Oct 25 (free shipping option) -- until a few days ago. Then the Release Date changed to Nov 1 and the expected delivery date slipped all the way out to Nov 30-Dec 15!

I have also heard mention of a flare problem that affects some or all 25-105 "L"s to date. It apparently only affects shots at full wide angle (24mm) and wide-open aperture (f/4), where the light source is 37 to 45 degrees off the optical axis of the lens. Speculation is that there's a small reflective surface inside the lens that Canon didn't notice until now. Sampling of forums where this is mentioned:
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Dv0O
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/297836
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/297647

Canon has said that it will "fix" this at no charge, for any affected lenses already in the field (assuming that you even notice the problem at all). Parts for the fix (little teeny cans of flat-black spray paint? :D) will be at repair centers starting Nov 15th. If Canon is offering a free "fix", then (a) Canon is acknowledging that a (small) problem exists and (b) you can be sure Canon will fix this in production lenses ASAP. Perhaps this has already been changed on the production line, but "who knows" when the fixed ones will appear in the supply pipeline (and how will you even know which you got, without meticulous testing)?

So -- I wonder if the reason my lens from Amazon was delayed was due to a production change-over to the "de-flared" version of the lens, or was it simply due to high demand and Amazon isn't getting supply from Canon as quickly as it expected?

On a different topic, someone questioned the use of "protective" filters on lenses. According to one of the main photo mags a month or two ago, "the only protection such a filter gives is for the retailer's profit margin". It might help guard against excessive lens cleaning, but the mag said that most any blow that would damage the front lens element would also shatter a filter, driving shards into the front element of the lens and damaging the lens anyway. The magazine did recommend using a lens hood to help prevent bumps -- I've been doing this for the last year and a half and indeed the lens hood helps!

The 24-105 is my first "L" lens, and I've got to say that I am wondering if I should consider a 77mm "protective filter" this time, in addition to using the hood that comes with the lens. (Lens extended warranties don't cover accidental impact, so they don't address this concern at all)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    photobug wrote:
    The magazine did recommend using a lens hood to help prevent bumps -- I've been doing this for the last year and a half and indeed the lens hood helps!
    And unlike a UV filter, a lens hood will actually improve image quality (its primary purpose) while also helping protecting the front element.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005

Thanks!
    They have a lens on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EF-28-135-IS-USM_W0QQitemZ7555871135QQcategoryZ106844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
    edited October 26, 2005
    No, the eBay lens is not the same model
    No, that's a 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens (the one I currently have but will also be selling)

This whole thread is about Canon's brand new (and hard to get) 24-105 f/4 "L" IS USM lens.

= dave
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

edited October 26, 2005
    It seems that this lens is currently out of production due to a flaring problem. Thanks for the response though!
    Jack

edited November 17, 2005
    It seems that this lens is currently out of production due to a flaring problem. Thanks for the response though!
    bump
    Jack

edited November 17, 2005
    24-105 delivery "holding" at 12/15; "guaranteed" by 12/23?
    It seems that this lens is currently out of production due to a flaring problem.
    So it seems. My delivery date from Amazon is "holding" at Dec 15th.

Oddly, it's flagged as "delivery guaranteed by Dec 23rd" ... I don't know if that's really true or is just "boilerplate" text that doesn't necessarily apply to this item (considering that the delays have been beyond Amazon's control).

edited November 17, 2005
    photobug wrote:
    So it seems. My delivery date from Amazon is "holding" at Dec 15th.

Oddly, it's flagged as "delivery guaranteed by Dec 23rd" ... I don't know if that's really true or is just "boilerplate" text that doesn't necessarily apply to this item (considering that the delays have been beyond Amazon's control).
    Actually, I'd just updated the thread, but I was on a waiting list at Tallyn's and they called me a couple of hours ago saying they'd just received a new shipment. You may want to call Ryan and see what their inventory and pricing looks like. (800) 433 8685 (www.tallyns.com)

Jack
    Jack

• herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005

I have the original "photon torpedo" and I cannot get it to flare. I'm debating whether to send it back or not.

With that said, I have always "worn protection" with a UV filter. :):
    edited November 18, 2005
    herion wrote:
    I have the original "photon torpedo" and I cannot get it to flare. I'm debating whether to send it back or not.

With that said, I have always "worn protection" with a UV filter. xzicon_smile_cool.gif
    I know Ed Hughes is also in the same predicatment and debating whether to send his back or not since he hasn't see the flaring either - and he shoots a LOT! icon10.gif

So do you send it back and take a chance it doesn't come back as sharp as before? Or since you have a year (right?) maybe keep shooting and send it back later. I would suspect the odds are if you can't make it flare after 6-8 months it won't!

Jack
    Jack